Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

drink driving, would you do it?

Options

Comments

I don't drink unless I know I'll not be driving the rest of the day/night, got that from my dad. PITA with the super-low limit for N drivers though meaning I've to sort a lift the morning after a few, can't take the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

Yeah i've tested myself many times as have others I know.

Ah, we have to hear more about your breathalyzer because I want to get one too. Please don’t tell me you bought it in Halfords.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I had a friend over in the evening. He said he'd only had an hour sleep due to a newborn and then he made a move to drive home. I decked him and threw his keys in the fire because that is what friends are for.

HAHA!! Good stuff TheAnalyst.

I was in Cape Town and got chatting to a cop. He told me if I had a few drinks not to walk or get a taxi, but do drive home and (not stop, but) cruise slowly to red traffic lights in first gear ready to take off like the clappers if it all kicks off!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

emeldc wrote: »
    Ah, we have to hear more about your breathalyzer because I want to get one too. Please don’t tell me you bought it in Halfords.

Usually only available to law enforcement or maybe academics but I'm sure its possible to source one.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭justfillmein

John_Rambo wrote: »

I was in Cape Town and got chatting to a cop. He told me if I had a few drinks not to walk or get a taxi, but do drive home and (not stop, but) cruise slowly to red traffic lights in first gear ready to take off like the clappers if it all kicks off!! :eek:

this is why i'm happy to live in my bubble and not have any interest in traveling:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

HAHA!! Good stuff TheAnalyst.

have a friend working in jamaica where he is expected to drink drive, his employers told him such. and yet over here we cant have a few scoops and drive because we live in a nanny state. What little free spirit we have is being sucked out of us by the PC Vampires.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

Usually only available to law enforcement or maybe academics but I'm sure its possible to source one.

Well it must be if you have one. Unless you’re a Guard or an academic.

have a friend working in jamaica where he is expected to drink drive, his employers told him such. and yet over here we cant have a few scoops and drive because we live in a nanny state. What little free spirit we have is being sucked out of us by the PC Vampires.

I didn't drink and drive! My post was an anecdotal cultural reference, not an encouragement to drink and drive or a nod towards it.

We don't live in a nanny state, we live in a modern country where it's illegal to drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs for good reason. If you feel "nannied" it's probably because you need to be.

If you consider the victims of drink driving and the parents of four year old Ciarán Treacy that was killed by someone that had a few scoops "PC vampires" you need to recalibrate your moral compass and grow up, cop on, or move to Jamaica where you can wreak you havoc there. Either way, you're attitude isn't welcome here in Ireland. Off you go.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I’m ashamed to admit that I drove under the influence a few times, when my alcoholism got out of hand. :( I would run out of booze and drive to the nearest off licence to get more. On two occasions I drove home from a pub after having many pints and shots.

Luckily, I had no accidents nor was I caught by the cops but I’m totally disgusted at what I did. Fortunately I realized the idiocy of what I had been doing and took my car off the road. If I hadn’t, it would have been a matter of time before I was caught or worse, hit somebody. I continued to drink heavily after I took the car off the road but you can’t kill anyone being drunk in a bus or walking.

Drink driving is never acceptable. Back in the 80s and 90s many people would get behind the wheel with a few drinks in them. I think all cars should have inbuilt breathalyzers so that the car won’t start if the driver is over the limit.

Self-driving cars, when they eventually arrive, will hopefully solve the drink driving issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I’m ashamed to admit that I drove under the influence a few times, when my alcoholism got out of hand. :( I would run out of booze and drive to the nearest off licence to get more. On two occasions I drove home from a pub after having many pints and shots.

Luckily, I had no accidents nor was I caught by the cops but I’m totally disgusted at what I did. Fortunately I realized the idiocy of what I had been doing and took my car off the road. If I hadn’t, it would have been a matter of time before I was caught or worse, hit somebody. I continued to drink heavily after I took the car off the road but you can’t kill anyone being drunk in a bus or walking.

Drink driving is never acceptable. Back in the 80s and 90s many people would get behind the wheel with a few drinks in them. I think all cars should have inbuilt breathalyzers so that the car won’t start if the driver is over the limit.

Self-driving cars, when they eventually arrive, will hopefully solve the drink driving issue.

A lot of people took a chance back in the 80's, 90's... me included. Time has changed attitudes, and its better for it. I was that idiot who drove home on the back-roads, and also on the main roads the morning after.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

A lot of people took a chance back in the 80's, 90's... me included. Time has changed attitudes, and its better for it. I was that idiot who drove home on the back-roads, and also on the main roads the morning after.

I’m 42 now, 43 in March. When I started driving in the mid 1990s, it was common for people to have a few pints/glasses of wine and drive. Driving totally locked was frowned upon, but after a few people thought they were in control. And there was very little Garda enforcement then. Times have completely changed and for the better in that regard.

Even between the 1970s and 1990s there were changes in attitudes towards drink driving. My former partner told me that back in the 70s his father and his friends would have a round of golf, get plastered in the clubhouse afterwards and drive home wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Beasty wrote: »
    I refer you to the answer I gave just over 8 years ago

(that was one of my earliest post in AH!)

So what are you really trying to tell us :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

I'd say it's widespread but this being a banana republic the powers that be can't be trusted to do a proper job to enforce the laws.
    I know several people young and old who regularly visit pubs leave their vehicles in plain sight and drive home after. All Jack the Lad types who know it all.
    If the Gardai set up checkpoints on back roads instead of main roads any night of the week they'd need buses to take drivers back to the barracks for processing.
    I had an accident with a drink driver back in 09. Happened about 12.30 on a Sunday afternoon. She was taking teenagers home after a house party. My car was written off. Wanted to sort it between ourselves. I smelt drink off her so said not a hope. She had 1 passenger left in the car. She was peppering before the Gardai came. She rang the barracks but gave very vague directions. 15 min journey but no show for an hour. When they rang again i gave them directions and squad car landed within 5 mins. We were both breathalysed. I was clear but she passed. Wonder how would she fare if the guard was on scene earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I heard this tale in regards to drink driving recently and I want the collective experience and musings of AH to tell me whether it's possibly true or just plain ol' bull manure.

Supposedly a lad who was driving home after a heavy nights boozing saw the Gardaí with blues flashing behind him. He sped off and as soon as he was out of sight momentarily he hopped out and legged it. He slept away from home that night and early the following morning he reported that the car had been stolen. I was told that this worked and he got away without any repercussions.

Whaddaya reckon? It reads a bit like an urban legend/bar-stool bravado so I have my doubts, but is there a chance that this story holds water?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

And no, I've never driven after drinking and I sincerely hope I never will. My regular watering holes are a 15 minute drive from home so it's never an issue sorting lifts, thankfully :)

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

Noveight wrote: »
    I heard this tale in regards to drink driving recently and I want the collective experience and musings of AH to tell me whether it's possibly true or just plain ol' bull manure.

Supposedly a lad who was driving home after a heavy nights boozing saw the Gardaí with blues flashing behind him. He sped off and as soon as he was out of sight momentarily he hopped out and legged it. He slept away from home that night and early the following morning he reported that the car had been stolen. I was told that this worked and he got away without any repercussions.

Whaddaya reckon? It reads a bit like an urban legend/bar-stool bravado so I have my doubts, but is there a chance that this story holds water?

Story holds water because they have to catch you over the limit.

I drove home drunk a number of years ago and when I was pulling away from the pub I noticed a cop car going straight through a T junction behind me in my mirror. Some thing clicked in my head that they would turn around and come after me so I floored it for half a mile, took a right turn at a Y junction into to a quieter road and parked the car outside a housing estate, and abandoned it. I hid in a garden in the estate and surely enough the cops came and found the car.
    They didn’t search for me in the area, but sat beside car for 20 mins, prob getting info on it.
    After that I only ever drank and drove a good few times

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

No, because I'm not a moron.

Though I neither drive, nor drink anywhere that isn't home!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

I risk the ire of the high & mighty but I'm impervious to logic so here we go:

I believe that being pulled for morning after drink driving is poor form, especially if you've got a taxi home the night before & had a solid 6 hours.
    There's a big difference between coming up on drink or coming down the morning after.

Another thing that really pisses me of are politicians fiddling with the limits just to look proactive during their otherwise dreary 5 year terms.
    Oooo the limit is 65mg, look at me people, I'll drop it to 60mg, look at me, saving all those babies.

Hammering drink drivers is like taxing smokers, it's an easy target, time to move our focus elsewhere cause at this stage we are only fiddling with the edges by changing anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's amazing to this day that drink driving is still seen as acceptable by some.

Doesn't help when you have grade A morons like the Healy Reas in the Dail.

For some people it will take body parts of their loved ones scattered through a windscreen to have any impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    You never heard plants on the radio, Jaysus.

No I said I had never heard of that particular show before so did not know it well enough to speculate that the person was a plant. I should point out that it is just speculation, unless you have proof of course. Either way it does not detract from those in real life who have the same attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Drink drivers are the absolute scum of the earth. If we had a government with any balls at all who actually cared about the problem we'd have a zero acceptance policy. A certain amount over the limit and you are banned for life from driving. I'd hazard a guess you'd see a circa 80-90% drop in reported drink driving cases over the following year of it's introduction.

I didn't drink and drive! My post was an anecdotal cultural reference, not an encouragement to drink and drive or a nod towards it.

We don't live in a nanny state, we live in a modern country where it's illegal to drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs for good reason. If you feel "nannied" it's probably because you need to be.

If you consider the victims of drink driving and the parents of four year old Ciarán Treacy that was killed by someone that had a few scoops "PC vampires" you need to recalibrate your moral compass and grow up, cop on, or move to Jamaica where you can wreak you havoc there. Either way, you're attitude isn't welcome here in Ireland. Off you go.

So much take in - that drunk driver had 8 pints not a few scoops. you need to be more composed and reasoned in your posting. you are very aggressive and being honest i feel very sad for you.
    to bring up that boy who was killed is actually quite sick and you should be ashamed of yourself.

So much take in - that drunk driver had 8 pints not a few scoops. you need to be more composed and reasoned in your posting. you are very aggressive and being honest i feel very sad for you.
    to bring up that boy who was killed is actually quite sick and you should be ashamed of yourself.

I’ll post what I want and I’ll bring up who I want.

Today’s Indo;
    Mother of four-year old road traffic victim Ciarán Treacy, Gillian Treacy, and founder and chair of the Irish Road Victims' Association, Donna Price, have been appointed by Transport Minister Shane Ross.

And a review of the Road Safety Strategy, published today, warns that the State faces an increase in road traffic deaths unless sanctions for the “main killer behaviours” including drink driving are not increased.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

http://www.rsa.ie/en/Utility/News/News-2016/Excessive-Speed-a-Factor-in-322-Road-Deaths-Between-2008-and-2012/
    • Report reveals excessive speed a factor in 1 in 3 fatal collisions between 2008 and 2012

People who speed are the scum of the earth. So pretty much everyone in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭oceanman

have to say nearly everyone in my local drives there and drives home too, quite rural area so not much chance of the cops being about, cant say I have ever heard of anyone having an accident on the way home but that could be down luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Yeah...it's really great to drink and drive. Particularly if/when you end up causing the death of a little lad like this....

CRASH%202.jpg

In my mind, you are outright scum if you do drink and drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

I never have and never will. I know someone who was hit by a drunk driver when he was walking home from the pub on Christmas Eve a number of years ago. He was left for dead. Was in hospital for months after. He had to have reconstructive surgery on his arm and hand as the nerves had been damaged by the impact. He walks with a cane now and had to give up work. F*cker who hit him was never caught.

I worked with a lad who said that when he's back home at the weekends he'd drive to the local for scoops with the lads and then drive home. I just can't understand why people would put themselves and others in that danger. Baffling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

I’ll post what I want and I’ll bring up who I want.

Today’s Indo;
    Mother of four-year old road traffic victim Ciarán Treacy, Gillian Treacy, and founder and chair of the Irish Road Victims' Association, Donna Price, have been appointed by Transport Minister Shane Ross.

And a review of the Road Safety Strategy, published today, warns that the State faces an increase in road traffic deaths unless sanctions for the “main killer behaviours” including drink driving are not increased.

It is not normal behaviour to discuss real peoples tragedies in a forum where everyone else is anonymous.
    I know you will post what you want and i really feel sorry for you because you dont understand boundaries and privacy.
    If you want to name names, start with your real name first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

I never have and never will. I know someone who was hit by a DRUNK DRIVER when he was walking home from the pub on Christmas Eve a number of years ago. He was left for dead. Was in hospital for months after. He had to have reconstructive surgery on his arm and hand as the nerves had been damaged by the impact. He walks with a cane now and had to give up work. F*cker who hit him WAS NEVER CAUGHT.

I worked with a lad who said that when he's back home at the weekends he'd drive to the local for scoops with the lads and then drive home. I just can't understand why people would put themselves and others in that danger. Baffling.

How do you know he was drunk? Could he have been a speeding texting scumbag?

Just asking..

Advertisement