Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2018-19 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Watched the highlights earlier this morning. Giannis getting away with travelling again

Giannis got called a couple of times. Kwahi got away with a pretty big double dribble on that dunk to put them up by 4 I think it was with under 2 minutes left and Brogdon was calling for it straight away, took TNT several minutes to catch it. Was actually painful listening to TNT for the duration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hitch2222

kmart6 wrote: »
    Giannis got called a couple of times. Kwahi got away with a pretty big double dribble on that dunk to put them up by 4 I think it was with under 2 minutes left and Brogdon was calling for it straight away, took TNT several minutes to catch it. Was actually painful listening to TNT for the duration.

It's the typical narrative when effective players get away with travelling calls. My intuitive opinion on it is that in the event that a player such as Giannis travels, the result of him travelling leaves him in a far more advantageous position that most other players due to his ability, long strides etc.
    It's not that Giannis travels more as proportion of time spent dribbling or that Giannis has more calls glossed over, it's simply a case that when he does it, it results in good things for his team than if any random player does it.
    It's the salience of the result not much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I thought the game was terrible, so many bad shots and bad decisions. That may sound rich coming from a Warriors fan but I think the Warriors st their best would pass pass pass and then shoot, it just seems to be pull up 3s or first shot available by teams now. Something will have to give soon, a team will figure out a better system
    I was a bit shocked at how Gasol was used on offense, nearly just resigned to perimeter shooter, crazy for a player of his ability in and around the post

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Hitch2222 wrote: »
    It's the typical narrative when effective players get away with travelling calls. My intuitive opinion on it is that in the event that a player such as Giannis travels, the result of him travelling leaves him in a far more advantageous position that most other players due to his ability, long strides etc.
    It's not that Giannis travels more as proportion of time spent dribbling or that Giannis has more calls glossed over, it's simply a case that when he does it, it results in good things for his team than if any random player does it.
    It's the salience of the result not much else.

Honestly not disagreeing with you for the sake of it, but I do think this feeds into the superstar calls (or no calls) narrative. I've been giving out about travelling consistently for years - and I don't care who does it. Call me old school but travelling at any level annoys me. What annoys me even more is when a clear and very obvious travel is allowed to go by the officials in meaningful Play Off games where one basket can decide a game or a series. And then you have the NBA rewarding the same plays even further by including them in the play(s) of the night etc.

Scottie Pippen was talking about Giannis' travelling recently (by recently I mean in the last month-6 weeks) on The Jump. It was referred to on Windhorst's Pod recently too amongst others. He's (Giannis) particularly prone to it on fast breaks - both at the initial gather or when it comes to the 2 step motion after pick up - sometimes he travels twice in the same play sequence. This is not an anti-Giannis things, I'd say it about anyone - and have done.

I thought the game was terrible, so many bad shots and bad decisions. That may sound rich coming from a Warriors fan but I think the Warriors st their best would pass pass pass and then shoot, it just seems to be pull up 3s or first shot available by teams now. Something will have to give soon, a team will figure out a better system
    I was a bit shocked at how Gasol was used on offense, nearly just resigned to perimeter shooter, crazy for a player of his ability in and around the post

Someone online called it the worst Overtime Game in Play Off history. High praise! I have it recorded, don't think I'll watch it now.....

• Advertisement

Only watched the highlights as I said but glad to hear they picked up on some of them at least.

Honestly not disagreeing with you for the sake of it, but I do think this feeds into the superstar calls (or no calls) narrative. I've been giving out about travelling consistently for years - and I don't care who does it. Call me old school but travelling at any level annoys me. What annoys me even more is when a clear and very obvious travel is allowed to go by the officials in meaningful Play Off games where one basket can decide a game or a series. And then you have the NBA rewarding the same plays even further by including them in the play(s) of the night etc.

Scottie Pippen was talking about Giannis' travelling recently (by recently I mean in the last month-6 weeks) on The Jump. It was referred to on Windhorst's Pod recently too amongst others. He's (Giannis) particularly prone to it on fast breaks - both at the initial gather or when it comes to the 2 step motion after pick up - sometimes he travels twice in the same play sequence. This is not an anti-Giannis things, I'd say it about anyone - and have done.

I don't buy that to the same degree that others do but even assume for a moment I do, imo that's not what occurring here.
    As you can see from what I said, I believe the salience of the issue which appears to be amongst superstars is due to 3 reasons

1. The have a disproportionate amount of the ball ergo the sheer volume of situations where they might travel increases so they simply travel more.
    If lesser players had the ball that often they'd travel that much and get called as often.

2. The result from travelling by superstar players is far more likely to result in a favourable outcome for their team because they're simply better players so an advantage arises from travelling they capitalise resulting in the issue of travelling being discussed more often

3. The amount of coverage that a travel Giannis/LBJ/Kawhi/KD gets is exponentially greater than that of a lesser player so it's simply more salient to us.

Largely I don't have much of an opinion on superstar calls but I do think it's wrong to assume that's the driver of missed calls and not simply the maths.

Just to say I'm happy to be wrong on the above if the stats said that Giannis or whatever other superstar got away with more travels as a proportion of their time on the ball than any other player.
    No problem holding my hands up if that exists.

Hitch2222 wrote: »
    Just to say I'm happy to be wrong on the above if the stats said that Giannis or whatever other superstar got away with more travels as a proportion of their time on the ball than any other player.
    No problem holding my hands up if that exists.

I understand what you're saying re. salience and I accept some of that.

Someone did a piece on LeBron (and Kobe from memory) and travels a few years back and it was statistically significant. I'll have a look later, about to walk the dogs now.

Let me put it this way - I think what's so bad about the Giannis ones is they are so blatant and so obvious - possibly as a result of him being so tall I guess you could say. When other players get away with it sometimes they're not as obvious to the untrained or even the trained eye because they're not covering so much ground in a straight line. A lot of Harden's uncalled travels for example are from small step lateral movements in traffic or closely guarded when the ref is watching for body contact or hand contact in the act of shooting rather than footwork. Giannis is regularly travelling in complete open court and unguarded situations and these are easy calls to make as the refs have unobstructed views.

Did you even get a chance to listen to the Michael Lewis podcast in NBA refereeing btw? I do think you'd like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

Am I the only one that finds Drake at Raptors games incredibly annoying and wishes one of the players would thump him some time.

Can;t he just sit down and watch the game like the rest of the fans courtside instead of leaning against the advertising hoarding for a decent part of the game.

• Advertisement

Am I the only one that finds Drake incredibly annoying

FYP.

And “no”.

Oh lol at Lakers imploding even further with Magic today. Honestly they're a laughing stock at this stage, so bad they make the Knicks look like a well run organisation by comparison.

Portland should win this handy enough tonight unless Warriors enter death mode

Curry just hates layups these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Is there much use having the League Pass for the Summer? I cancelled my Spurs sub after they got booted out.

Also have the league pass annual prices changed? I had the one team pass for €10.99 a month as I didn't want to spend €20, and it's showing €35 for the all teams, annual pass? Is that just until the finals?

Yikes, the refs have got very whistle happy on the Warriors in the last few minutes, guess we're getting a game 5.

Terrible last shot by Lillard.

Oh lol at Lakers imploding even further with Magic today. Honestly they're a laughing stock at this stage, so bad they make the Knicks look like a well run organisation by comparison.
    Magic with his own agenda IMO

https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne/status/1130629015369240576

Damn you Portland, you could of at least of given me one more home game, they huffed and they puffed all series but to no avail

• Registered Users Posts: 36,158 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Houston was the series. Plenty of time now for GS to rest up and get KD and Iggy healthy before they romp the finals.

Magic can’t gelp himself. He has to be the centre of attention most of the time. He’s handled this whole thing terribly and as usual with Magic thinks he can fake smile his way out of it. It was hard to make this any worse than it already was but he has managed to do just that.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Houston was the series. Plenty of time now for GS to rest up and get KD and Iggy healthy before they romp the finals.

The Bucks have grown on me as time has passed. It worries me a tad when a chunk of scoring needs to come from the bench but we'll assume Giannis just had an off night.
    That said with KD&Iggie back, it's a 4-1 or 4-2 scenario because they nullify Giannis so the Bucks need to win in Toronto and get this done in 5.
    That gives them the best chance to meet a weakened GSW for maybe 1 or 2 games and perhaps get ahead.
    They have homecourt in the first game so they could get 2-0 up and then we have a race to 4.
    There still could be some drama yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Steph Curry this series: 36.5 PPG on 66.3% TS (42.6% 3PT, 30/32 FT), 8.3 APG

And yet he'll still have people thinking he's not the best PG in the league.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

He's been great, no doubts about it and I'm not being unnecessarily critical because you can't argue with those numbers but of any team in the final 8 across both conferences is there a more auspicious situation for him than be guarded by Seth Curry, Lillard or McCollum?
    They're all pretty bad regular season defenders and break even at best in the playoffs.

I still think they beat pretty much anyone based on that performance but he had relatively easy time of it.

Compare that group to any one of these and it's fair to say he crushed the weakest combo, he can only beat what's put in front of him and he did it incredibly well.

Bledsoe, Hill, Brogdan
    Simmons, Butler
    Smart, Kyrie, Rozier
    Lowry, Green, VanFleet, maybe Kawhi
    Murray, Harris, Beasley
    CP3, Harden, Tucker, Gordon

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

I think time and history will be Curry’s greatest friend, not only will people see how he changed a franchise, they will see how he changed the game in general (I know the game was heading that way anyway but he was at the forefront)
    It’s easy to pick holes in his game or any players game, that’s just the nature of the times we live in, people gravitate to certain players and it’s that player vs another player as in who is better, nonsense
    I saw someone on Twitter post about the Warriors 5 straight finals appearances yesterday, it quickly turned into people saying LeBron has done better or some ridiculous not relevant argument

I think time and history will be Curry’s greatest friend, not only will people see how he changed a franchise, they will see how he changed the game in general (I know the game was heading that way anyway but he was at the forefront)
    It’s easy to pick holes in his game or any players game, that’s just the nature of the times we live in, people gravitate to certain players and it’s that player vs another player as in who is better, nonsense
    I saw someone on Twitter post about the Warriors 5 straight finals appearances yesterday, it quickly turned into people saying LeBron has done better or some ridiculous not relevant argument

Curry is the person who's influence as you say will be transcendent.
    Similar scenario to Iverson where his influence goes beyond his play on the court.

Steph has been a catalyst for a shift in the style of the play on the court while Iverson was the driving force for changes in the NBAs social fabric.

Iggie has high praise tbf: Business Insider: Andre Iguodala says he thinks Stephen Curry is the second-best NBA player ever.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/steph-curry-second-best-nba-player-ever-andre-iguodala-2019-5

On an unrelated note, Trae, Luka, Ayton, Bagley & Jackson Jr make ROY 1st team, picks 1-5.

The last time this happened

1984-85 -- a class consisting of Hakeem Olajuwon, Sam Bowie, Michael Jordan, Sam Perkins and Charles Barkley.

Somewhat under the radar and a name I suspect not well known in these parts is Trajan Langdon joins the Pelicans Management team from the Nets. One of the best American players in Euroleague (Final Four MVP 2008) and I guy I saw play in the flesh numerous times. Lights out shooter, but a little undersized for his generation at 6'4" - it would have been interesting to see how a guy like him would have fared had he say been 10-15 years younger in the smaller, quicker modern NBA. He and Theo Papoloukas made up an insanely talented backcourt, between them alternating MVPs in 2006 and 2008 Euroleague championships with CSKA. Papaloukas is one of my all time favourite players btw, I've mentioned him a few times on here before - could easily have gone NBA but was living his own dreams in Moscow. Worth a google/youtube......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

Somewhat under the radar and a name I suspect not well known in these parts is Trajan Langdon joins the Pelicans Management team from the Nets. One of the best American players in Euroleague (Final Four MVP 2008) and I guy I saw play in the flesh numerous times. Lights out shooter, but a little undersized for his generation at 6'4" - it would have been interesting to see how a guy like him would have fared had he say been 10-15 years younger in the smaller, quicker modern NBA. He and Theo Papoloukas made up an insanely talented backcourt, between them alternating MVPs in 2006 and 2008 Euroleague championships with CSKA. Papaloukas is one of my all time favourite players btw, I've mentioned him a few times on here before - could easily have gone NBA but was living his own dreams in Moscow. Worth a google/youtube......

Why does the Euroleague get almost zero media coverage on UK or Irish TV.

I haven't seen any of it in years and when it was on it's was purely as filler material and never advertised.

You'd think with the fact that it's a really high level of competition and that a large amount of teams are spinoffs from top level european soccer teams it would be easy enough to market to fans with the games being on at a reasonable hour unlike the NBA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Dominant team performance from the raptors. Best of 3 now...bring it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

After watching the gsw game 4, without KD, which is looking more likely with recent reports, whoever wins east I think could win it. Hopefully TR.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement