Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2018-19 Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hitch2222

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I’m not sure this impacts whether Kawhi stays or not, btw. But he was absolutely awesome in the key moments last night. Did not see this turnaround coming!

No me neither, I thought with the injury he'd struggle but he's been unbelievable. I agree though I'm not sure this result moves the needle for him.

If they get through and get beat by GSW then outside of Siakam, is there much for him to clutch to for the next couple of seasons?
    Gasol, Lowry, Ibaka aren't going to any better next year nor do they have the cap space to go and get someone while 76ers and Bucks will get better at least.

Perhaps he'll wait and make his decision after KD makes his but even then is he more likely to stay in Toronto if KD stays in GS, easier path to the finals but zero chance of toppling GSW.
    Alternatively if KD goes is that more likely to way him out West because there's no surefire best team or does he then fancy his chances against toppling NY in the EC and having an easier run to beat a WC team.

Lots to consider, clearly anyone who has the audacity to leave Pop knows what he wants and isn't afraid to make a big decision.
    If I was to have a bet, I'd approximate 70/30 to leave based purely on them having little chance of toppling GSW and lack of flexibility moving into next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

How high is Leonard’s stock right now?

Can’t see them winning a finals matchup with GS or him staying either way (win or lose) but he’s been incredible throughout the play offs. Enjoy it while you can Toronto (genuinely don’t mean that in a bad way).

Someone said on the Drake BS last night that the big difference between what he’s doing and Spike Lee etc. is Lee was on the other side of the court and not beside the benches, giving shoulder rubs to coaches and chest bumping players. I honestly don’t think I could bear watching him at that shoyte in the Finals. Would love if Draymond or Boogie bitch-slapped him and told him to STFU.

Can’t see them winning a finals matchup with GS or him staying either way (win or lose) but he’s been incredible throughout the play offs. Enjoy it while you can Toronto (genuinely don’t mean that in a bad way).

The highest of any player in the league not named Giannis I imagine?

If given the choice this off-season of locking someone into a 5 year max, who do you lock in?
    I think KD might be the best player but I don't think the ROI on him over 5 years from now is greater than Kawhi.

The only hesitance would be the injuries but I still think with 3 years on KD I'd have to take Kawhi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

I'd be worried about Kawhi's longevity too, but my God it is crazy that he's only turning 28 next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

Someone said on the Drake BS last night that the big difference between what he’s doing and Spike Lee etc. is Lee was on the other side of the court and not beside the benches, giving shoulder rubs to coaches and chest bumping players. I honestly don’t think I could bear watching him at that shoyte in the Finals. Would love if Draymond or Boogie bitch-slapped him and told him to STFU.

What you need to deal with Drake is somone to throw the ball over near where he sits and Draymond Green desperately chases the ball down and in the process absolutely creels Drake,there'd be no way of proving it was deliberate so the player would get away with it. Just like the way Lebron took out Jason Days wife a few years ago.

• Advertisement

What you need to deal with Drake is somone to throw the ball over near where he sits and Draymond Green desperately chases the ball down and in the process absolutely creels Drake,there'd be no way of proving it was deliberate so the player would get away with it. Just like the way Lebron took out Jason Days wife a few years ago.

I’m sure that could be arranged....

Angliru wrote: »
    I'd be worried about Kawhi's longevity too, but my God it is crazy that he's only turning 28 next month.

Hard to determine across generations with players but I'd be curious if all continues as forecast given his talent, he picks up a couple of championships perhaps finals MVP or 2, then where he ends up all time.

Say without getting too deep into it, of his contemporaries, we can probably all agree that give or take

LBJ Top 10

KD Top 15-20

Steph Top 15-20

Duncan Top 10-15

Giannis Top 15-20 potential

I wonder where Kawhi fits in that, just wondering because I don't have a strong opinion on it, I felt that Thinking Basketball guy who's video I shared made a far assessment, low-level perrenial MVP candidate but clearly a post-season beast where it really matters.

I could get onboard with arguments for him ending up as a Top 10 player to a Top 40 player, I think he offers an interesting case moving forward.

Hitch2222 wrote: »
    Hard to determine across generations with players but I'd be curious if all continues as forecast given his talent, he picks up a couple of championships perhaps finals MVP or 2, then where he ends up all time.

Say without getting too deep into it, of his contemporaries, we can probably all agree that give or take

LBJ Top 10

KD Top 15-20

Steph Top 15-20

Duncan Top 10-15

Giannis Top 15-20 potential

I wonder where Kawhi fits in that, just wondering because I don't have a strong opinion on it, I felt that Thinking Basketball guy who's video I shared made a far assessment, low-level perrenial MVP candidate but clearly a post-season beast where it really matters.

I could get onboard with arguments for him ending up as a Top 10 player to a Top 40 player, I think he offers an interesting case moving forward.

For a while he seemed to be on a decent path to being one of the top players of all time, then it slowed down considerably but now it seems it is back to where it was, and further.

Have any of ye been watching those GOAT pyramid videos or seeing the pictures on Instagram? I really like the concept of tier-ing players rather than ranking as it allows more focus on selections and not a constant rabbit hole of "x over y, you're crazy, f*ck your list".

Basically it sorts the best 35-40 players of all time into 5 tiers and as the tiers become more prestigious the fewer the amount of players on that shelf...hence a pyramid.

Shaq posted one here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BxGK7bvBSjf/

Jxmy the Youtuber posted his the other day too. I disagree with some of the picks on both, but it still gives you a good yardstick.

Kawhi cannot be a million miles off Tier 5 already, if he adds another chip, and a handful of more MVP candidate level seasons then he'd probably slide up to tier 4. Think he's Tier 5 for absolute certain if Toronto wins this. He'll almost certainly be Finals MVP with it, probably cementing himself as the best Raptor ever in one season and taking down the most absurd super team ever.

For a while he seemed to be on a decent path to being one of the top players of all time, then it slowed down considerably but now it seems it is back to where it was, and further.

Have any of ye been watching those GOAT pyramid videos or seeing the pictures on Instagram? I really like the concept of tier-ing players rather than ranking as it allows more focus on selections and not a constant rabbit hole of "x over y, you're crazy, f*ck your list".

Basically it sorts the best 35-40 players of all time into 5 tiers and as the tiers become more prestigious the fewer the amount of players on that shelf...hence a pyramid.

Jxmy the Youtuber posted his the other day too. I disagree with some of the picks on both, but it still gives you a good yardstick.

Kawhi cannot be a million miles off Tier 5 already, if he adds another chip, and a handful of more MVP candidate level seasons then he'd probably slide up to tier 4. Think he's Tier 5 for absolute certain if Toronto wins this. He'll almost certainly be Finals MVP with it, probably cementing himself as the best Raptor ever in one season and taking down the most absurd super team ever.

Yeah that's the best way of doing it for sure. I suspect Kawhi probably ends up in Tier 4 as does Harden for completely polarising reasons.

Kawhi has the potential to be a Tier 3 though while KD has potential to be Tier 2 but both would need to do more in the near term to have the chance imo.

Yeah that's the best way of doing it for sure. I suspect Kawhi probably ends up in Tier 4 as does Harden for completely polarising reasons.

Kawhi has the potential to be a Tier 3 though while KD has potential to be Tier 2 but both would need to do more in the near term to have the chance imo.

It'll be interesting to see will time shine brightly on Durant. I feel if he did this in another era he'd be held very highly but people seem to be very stuck on him joining an already certified super-team and won't let it go for an inch. Can't get away with anything now but I do think the general consensus towards him will be more respectful when all is said and done than it is now.

Saying that, leaving in the summer is a must if he really wants to get the most out of himself.

I watched a lot of old Durant OKC footage recently and my God I forgot how much I enjoyed that team and how much I enjoyed Durant. I still respect the hell out of him and love watching him play but because he plays for GSW I do have a hatred for him and it affects my ability to just enjoy his play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Tiger Woods won the Candian Open Golf tournament in Toronto.

Novak Djokovic,Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer have all won the Canadian Open Tennis Tournament in Toronto.

Let me rephrase: to represent a Toronto based team

Kareem tier 3? Wow. That’s actually disgraceful. I’ll never understand why Kareem gets disrespected like this. Never.

And I’m a Celtics fan!

Kareem tier 3? Wow. That’s actually disgraceful. I’ll never understand why Kareem gets disrespected like this. Never.

And I’m a Celtics fan!

Yeah I can never understand it either, it's not completely analogous now but humour me on a thought.

Is it somewhat like Harden whereby the mode of his success is not what people want to deem as the most auspicious way to play bball but it just happens to work.

Harden gets a high proportion of his scores via free throws which makes him very efficient and effective.
    Kareem similarly with the skyhook and simple low post game was not the sexiest viewing but unstoppable.

Perhaps people simply undervalue him because how he suceeded is not the way they would like to see a player succeed.

Yeah I can never understand it either, it's not completely analogous now but humour me on a thought.

Is it somewhat like Harden whereby the mode of his success is not what people want to deem as the most auspicious way to play bball but it just happens to work.

Harden gets a high proportion of his scores via free throws which makes him very efficient and effective.
    Kareem similarly with the skyhook and simple low post game was not the sexiest viewing but unstoppable.

Perhaps people simply undervalue him because how he suceeded is not the way they would like to see a player succeed.

I don't think that's it tbh - I've always wondered how much of it was political tbh. Kareem is probably the most interesting person ever to play the game - if you read any of the more serious books about he's just an utterly fascinating man, an activist (in a time it was difficult to be such) critical thinker way, way ahead of his time. Even to hear him speak now the man is just inspiring to listen to and has a humility that most could learn from. He's never "played the game" and has suffered (though he likely wouldn't describe it as such) enormously as a result.

He's also never sought fame and publicity in the way more modern players do; neither in his prime nor since, but to place him as third tier with inferior players on a level above him is nothing short of disgraceful. I guess part of it is the passage of time too but while I'd disagree with a significant % of that list, that is by the far the most egregious placement.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭The Parish King

Excuse my ignorance as I only really have a passing interest in the NBA, but why would Steph Curry only be considered in the Tier 4 bracket?

He was an unknown in college, came in to GSW under the radar from the draft to lead them to 3 (possibly 4) titles as a two time MVP whilst having a major impact on how the game is played.

Like I said, I only have a casual interest in the NBA so have I just bought in to the hype and disregarded the achievements of ‘Tier 1-3’ players?

Excuse my ignorance as I only really have a passing interest in the NBA, but why would Steph Curry only be considered in the Tier 4 bracket?

He was an unknown in college, came in to GSW under the radar from the draft to lead them to 3 (possibly 4) titles as a two time MVP whilst having a major impact on how the game is played.

Like I said, I only have a casual interest in the NBA so have I just bought in to the hype and disregarded the achievements of ‘Tier 1-3’ players?

I wouldn't read too much into that particular chart tbh, but Stef does get an awful lot of hate (or maybe "not enough love" would be more accurate) particularly from some players. Despite all of his achievements I personally think he's actually under-rated. He's transformed the game and genuinely changed how it's being played right now and for the foreseeable future - I would imagine in 10-15 years we're going to have an awful lot of deep 3 shooting guards with incredible handles and spacing/passing abilities. I'm too tired to write a long essay on this right now but for me he's already Top 15 All Time and has the potential to go a lot higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,130 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Getting interesting 😀 78 all 10.30 to go, bucks massive lead lost

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Ahh jeez, that’s some dunk by Kawhi, they have just smothered the bucks since the end of the 3rd, not looking good for bucks right now, arena atmosphere looks amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 20,130 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Ya, fantastic game, bucks coming back a bit now. They really collapsed for a quarter! One point game 5.00 to go

Going to go down to the wire, bucks did well to weather that storm

• Advertisement

That’s pretty cool for Toronto, Kawhi is just super human and how can anyone dislike Kyle Lowry

I thought the Bucks were better suited to playing GS but fair play to Toronto for winning 4 straight (they should really have won G1 too). Milwaukee looked clueless at times in the halfcouet this series, bad look for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Bucks looked so ordinary from game 2 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Amazing
    Best moment in toronto sport since the jays in 93. What i would give for a ticket! Home adv and kd injured...who knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

That dunk by Kawhi, wow!!! Unlucky for the bucks they need a few more pieces to go with Giannis.

27/17/7 for Kawhi, jeeeeeesus. At different points of this playoffs he's looked a little like Jordan, Pippen and now Rodman. The timing on some of those boards last night was sick.

Delighted for Toronto, delighted for Lowry and of course Kawhi. Hopefully the rest up very well and give the Warriors a good test.

I have never seen the city like this! Was finally getting into bed at 3am ish and still loads of honking and screaming on the streets. What a night! cannot imagine this place when one of the big 3 teams wins a championship!

https://twitter.com/blogTO/status/1132508354658623488

I have never seen the city like this! Was finally getting into bed at 3am ish and still loads of honking and screaming on the streets. What a night! cannot imagine this place when one of the big 3 teams wins a championship!

https://twitter.com/blogTO/status/1132508354658623488

Yea, that’s pretty cool to see a city get energized like that, I remember when the SF giants won their first championship, place went absolutely nuts, was surprised since I find passion a bit lacking at times in US sports

As for the finals, I think Warriors have to be favorites, a lot will boil down to Kawhi and how the warriors deal with him, I think they have the defenders to contain him better than the Bucks and can switch multiple players onto him.
    Toronto need to win both home games, atmosphere will be electric there
    Iam going to game 4, so looking forward to that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

As for the finals, I think Warriors have to be favorites, a lot will boil down to Kawhi and how the warriors deal with him, I think they have the defenders to contain him better than the Bucks and can switch multiple players onto him.
    Toronto need to win both home games, atmosphere will be electric there
    Iam going to game 4, so looking forward to that

I think it's a bit of advantage for the warriors that the first 2 games are in Toronto.

Toronto are under huge pressure right from the start of the series whereas the Warriors have the pressure off them a bit to start the series.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement