Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greenways [greenway map of Ireland in post 1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the Fire Brigade apparently objected and claimed they can't legally drive on a cycle lane (there seems to be some dispute about this).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Has anyone been in Galway recently?

They have implemented a whole raft of [No Right Turns] that make travelling around Salthill next to impossible. Just removing the free on-street parking along the sea front and replacing it with a two-way cycle lane would solve the problem, but making the proposal include those one-way streets is just plain daft, and a plan designed to fail, and so be rejected.

Another example that Galway is a failed City Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

There is no debate, it is entirely legal for all emergency services to drive in them on the blues, a lot of the road traffic laws are effectively suspended in the event of such an emergency response, and cycleways are no different.

All cycleways should, where possible, be designed as 2 way, and wide enough for a fire truck to pass along in an emergency, you're basically creating emergency vehicle corridors when you do so.

In the Salthill case there was a section that was too narrow, campaigners themselves were highlighting this issue and saying the design needed improvement. In the debate, the Mayor offered a solution that would see the section that doesn't have any of the stated issues put in place, it was rejected, which shows all objections were really just hot air because they wanted to keep car parking.

For those looking for detail on the emergency services issue see the article below. It includes copies of the actual objections as well as dissecting their objections

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The irony of this from FF Cllr Peter Keane...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Presumably any disruption would be due to the one way traffic section? In that case, the cycle route east of Pollnarooma in Option 2 shouldn't be a problem. A bit of CPO west of there should allow for the cycle route plus two way traffic.

It's also worth noting that what is proposed was only temporary for six months, it would have identified if these things raised are genuine concerns and if so, could be addressed in the permanent design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Hi, any greenways around the Ennis / Limerick area staying in ennis for 5 nights with 4 kids from this Fri thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Bit of a long drive from Ennis though you'd lose the will to live crawling through Adare. I'd say pack hiking boots instead. Plenty of nice walks in Co. Clare.

Was passing Abbeyfeale recently, stopped by the "station", looked to me like the Greenway was ongoing to Listowel, there were distance markers for the Limerick border and Listowel going southward, and a sign that said "Next stop, Listowel". Is that section not finished yet?

One other thing I want to ask about, and I do appreciate this could be a sensitive issue, is the safety of leaving a car in Rathkeale while exploring the Greenway. There is no way to step around this but it is a very strong traveller populated town and while I don’t believe that every traveller is a potential criminal or thief, I am scared of them. What's the feeling around here? Are the people of Rathkeale, traveller or otherwise, generally sound or would you need to be a little more careful parking around there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,065 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

No Greenway close to Ennis but the country roads between Ennis and Limerick have some amazing routes but maybe not suitable for kids or leisurely family cycles.

If you want outdoor family activities a hike through Cratloe Woods would definitely be recommended.

• Advertisement

Actually Coole Park in Gort would be a good alternative. Safe, quiet, and with the Garryland reserve too, there's more than enough km's to be able to cycle for ages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The next portion from county bounds towards Listowel is being built at usual county council snail's pace.

I'd happily park in Rathkeale before I'd park in many, many areas around Dublin. Exercise usual precautions.

Greenway mentioned as one reason to reopen the station.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Reopening the station on a trial basis would cost them nothing except a ticket collector, or a ticket checker on the train. It already has a passing loop, which would be handy.

You would definitely need to put a bit of work into the station as well. No way EI are letting anyone stand on that platform

I have thoughts on this but I don't want to "derail" the Greenway topic. 💀

Mod: There is another thread actually dealing directly with the Killucal Station, so please direct comments to that thread please.

Post edited by Sam Russell on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭serfboard

Along the side of the road according to the County Council: "an emerging preferred route is the northern verge of the N15". I hope there'll be good separation ...

Reading the documentation on the Donegal Co Co web page, I note the following in the constraints report:

It is not proposed to alter any roads or junctions as part of this project however some minor works may be required to realign / square up some junctions to allow the proposed greenway to traverse the junctions in a safe and appropriate manner. In the case of a quiet side road being selected as an appropriate “offline” solution to the greenway location, the surfacing of that side road will be reviewed at the appropriate stage in the design process.

In addition, there are TII proposals to advance the Ten-T network in the region. While not expressly part of the Ten-T network, the N15 accommodates a crossing and linkage from the proposed N14 preferred corridor to the A5 link in Northern Ireland. These proposals include a variation to the County Development Plan 2018 – 2024 in respect of the Preferred Route Corridors. The variation to the County Development Plan was approved at Plenary Council meeting in May 2021. Interaction between the existing N15 development and preferred N14 / A5 route corridor is illustrated in Figure 3.1.7.

Within the constraints area, there are a total of 49 No. agricultural entrances, 132 No. domestic entrances and 17 No. business entrances with access onto the N15.

• Advertisement

Looks like a 2 meter grass verge.

I'm not sure how this qualifies as a greenway with 100km motor traffic right beside it. A separated shared use path, sure, a greenway, not so much but that would be my own personal definition, not one shared by the power that be

not exactly going to attract visitors to use it.

Its only about 9km anyway so few, if any, will travel to use it specifically. However it will connect, as a branch route, to route 3 of the North West greenway network which will pass through Lifford

The terms "Greenway" and "cycle lane" seem to be getting very muddled.

Yeah, I'm surprised actual Greenways (i.e. routes with high levels of segregation from motor vehicles) aren't objecting to using the term Greenway for a strip of tar alongside a road. Dont get me wrong, I fully support projects like that and want to see more of it, but simply using Greenway as a general term for cycle routes does a disservice to the segregated routes and sets unrealistic expectations of roadside routes which could lead to disappointment.

That one would be busy from day 1.

I note the following in the article: "Mr Barrett also agreed with suggestions from councillors that greenways must be safe and secure and that lighting should be installed along the routes." - correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't lighting along the greenway not be the unusual? Maybe he is referring to urban areas only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

"132 No. domestic entrances"... in <10 km 😯

And I'd be surprised if the "greenway" users weren't required to yield at each private entrance!

• Advertisement

they love their linear development in Donegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Any idea when the Athlone bridge is due for completion? I could have sworn there was word of this summer mooted but can't find the matching article. Wishful thinking I guess

Due for completion mid-2022 according to the project website, so I'm guessing that will be Q1 2023. There are works going on there at the moment, site prep etc, and the actual installation will be quick as it'll be fabricated off-site, but who knows if it will open on time.

A similar project in Galway at the Salmon weir has already been pushed back 9 months from timelines only announced 3 months ago, was supposed to open Q3 2022, now pushed back to Q2 2023

The public consultation is now open for the Galway to Oughterard greenway. This forms part of the Galway to Clifden greenway.

The project website is below, go there and hit the "Public Consultation" link to give your input and review the documentation

The scope of the area under the project is below

For reference, this is the old Clifden railway route

To the west of the N59 would be a balls of a route as its quite hilly for a recreational route so I'm hoping the use as much of the old railway as possible.

There's actually a section done near Ballynahinch castle. It's about 5k long

: https://strava.app.link/SfRbV3ut1nb

In fairness, the Athlone bridge was due for completion mid-2022 if it started mid-21. It started beginning 22 so will be complete early 23. Not sure the reason for the delay in starting but the finish date was always going to be relative to the start date. I assume its the same for the Salmon Weir bridge, if they don't get the contractor appointed on time, everything shifts out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Good to read some more progress being made/resumed.

A number of infrastructure projects that had been paused have resumed. The following projects have resumed;

Dodder Greenway: The NTA Cycling Design Office (CDO) commenced work on Habitat and Environmental Screening Reports, with final reports to be issued by end of Q4. The CDO progressed design development of options for Milltown Road and Beaver Row. An updated options assessment for these two zones is in progress. The CDO has undertaken traffic modelling for route options on Beaver Row; the assessment has been incorporated into the options assessment process. Structural visual assessments of the existing bridges along the route have been completed. The emerging preferred option will be identified by end March 2022. It is planned to brief DCC and DLRCC nominated Elected Representatives in Q2 followed by a briefing to the Steering Committee.

Grand Canal Greenway (Blackhorse to Portobello): A review of current proposals in the context of new projects that have come on stream, such as Busconnects has been prepared. A review of the architectural and industrial heritage and ecology for the route was commenced in January 2022 and is in progress. Dublin City Council will be reviewing this report over the next month. The tenders for the safety improvements to the on road cycling facilities along the Grand Canal were received during the month .A contract for additional site investigations has been awarded.

Schemes with Statutory Planning Approval

Royal Canal Greenway

The Royal Canal Greenway is being delivered in four phases.

Phase 1: Implemented.

Phase 2: The additional planting is complete.

Phase 3: The contractor selection process is being finalized, in conjunction with seeking the necessary approvals to proceed to construction. Work has been undertaken to facilitate approval of the scheme to proceed to construction.

Phase 4: The amending Part 8 for the scheme was lodged during September. The scheme will be put back on public display in February 2022. This is in order to provide the necessary clarifications to the general public on the items raised during the public consultation process. The clarifications relate to the preservation of ecology and the habitat and the conservation of industrial heritage.

Dodder Greenway (Herbert Park to Donnybrook)

A preferred tender has been selected and it is hoped that the final Legal agreements will be shortly finalised, allowing the project to proceed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Also the extension of the greenway from the Dodder along Avonbeg to Sean Walsh Park is progressing away in Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭FinnC

Didnt know this was happening. Just thinking there when complete you could have a great loop from somewhere like Lucan down the Grand Canal to Grand Canal Dock and back then on the Dodder Greenway at Sir John Rogersons Quay to Tallaght. There is already a cycle path from Tallaght to Lucan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

Public consultation on the preferred route for the Sutton to Malahide Greenway is now live on the Fingal website. Glanced over the plans and they look mostly good to me, few bits could change.

The tie in with the northern end of the Baldoyle-Portmarnock Greenway is a bit of a diversion. I could see experienced cyclists skipping it and continuing through the roundabout.

I like that it goes on the seaside of the Church in Baldoyle, once it’s done well and lit at night. With the cafe to go in there that could be a really nice spot on sunny days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Link to the Sutton - Malahide Greenway is here: https://www.fingal.ie/suttontomalahide

Will be interesting to see if this goes the way of Sandymount and how quickly they can get this to join up with the Malahide - Donabate bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Does anyone have more info or links to the Royal Canal Greenway? Specifically looking for info on the Dublin city centre section. Wish they would upgrade the section around Croke Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

Cycled the Croker stretch today coming from Strand Rd to Annessly Bridge then up to Ballybough and up the canal via the stadium to Cross guns. The Ballybough route is a mess as are the dilapidated locks in the canal itself . The GAA should tidy up the canal area themselves rather than "waiting for godot" be it the corpo or waterways ireland or whatever other govt quango is in the way.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Anyone know if it's possible to cycle the Grand Canal from Sallins to Park West?

I think they are working on the Hazelhatch to 12th lock at Lucan part at the moment so I dunno if it’s passable for now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Ah right. But normally it would be? I am moving out towards Sallins so just want to know if cycling into Dublin along the canal is normally an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Cycling along the canal is normally an option. The first 4 Km from Sallins is grass, which had a couple of sticky spots in wet weather but is fine in the dry. The rest is fine. All surfaced in some way or another.

Some security issues at certain times of the day as you hit Clondalkin/Park West/Black Lion. Not sure if they've been resolved or not.

Hard to pass the pub in Hazelhatch on a warm summers evening. Always a good spot for a pint.

Yeah should be. They are putting in a path along the canal from Sallins all the way to Lucan as far as I’m aware. You say you’re going to City West? You’re best bet then would be to come off the Canal at Grange Castle and take the road out to Kingswood that goes over the N7. There is an off road cycle path all the way to the CityWest from GrangeCastle

Post edited by FinnC on

I think it will depend on the kind of bike you have.

The surface from Sallins to Ponsonby Bridge isn't great for a road bike but should be ok on a hybrid or mountain bike except maybe after a really wet period. From Hazelhatch to Lucan (along the north bank) again isn't great for a road bike but this should be upgraded soon (in 2022 to my knowledge).

If you are on a road bike and of confident and moderate ability, you might find it quicker to stick to the roads (Sallins (via Naas Golf Club) > Johnstown > Kill > Oldmill > Rathcoole > Saggart > Citywest)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭nilhg

• Advertisement
Advertisement