Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenways [greenway map of Ireland in post 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

More Deise Greenway action

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/01/16/greenway-set-to-extend-to-tramore/
    THE GREENWAY is set to extend from Waterford to Tramore, following Cllr Eamon Quinlan’s reiteration of the previously discussed extension of the Waterford Greenway at last week’s meeting of Waterford City & County Council. He put forward the argument that “a Tramore route would add significant value to the Greenway experience for tourists and provide a manageable trail without having to use the side of a road, which is the state of play for many joggers and cyclists.”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

Some progress on the Rosslare-Waterford Greenway.
    From the Wexford People
    Greenway remains on track as a ‘win-win’ solution is found

The development of a greenway from Rosslare to Waterford remains on schedule following a minor alteration to the original design plan.

Last month Cathaoirleach of Rosslare Municipal District Cllr Ger Carthy voiced his concerns about the proposed route, arguing that its layout wouldn’t maximise the coastal views and scenery of the area.
    However, having met with the Director with Responsibility for Special Projects Eddie Taffe, Cllr Carthy confirmed a compromise had been reached.

‘I had a meeting with the Director and he assures me he can raise the ground, to maximise the views, not on the coastal side. That will be a win-win for everyone.’

This amendment means the greenway will run on the land side of the track as originally planned while also maximising the scenic views for users.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

https://www.kildarenow.com/news/home/511698/no-timeline-for-north-kildare-royal-canal-greenway-project.html

Kildare County Council is facing some challenges in its work to continue the Royal Canal Greenway from Maynooth to Leixlip and onto Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Grassey wrote: »
    https://www.kildarenow.com/news/home/511698/no-timeline-for-north-kildare-royal-canal-greenway-project.html

Kildare County Council is facing some challenges in its work to continue the Royal Canal Greenway from Maynooth to Leixlip and onto Dublin.

Absolute farce.

Some interesting numbers coming from the Waterford greenway.

https://www.clareecho.ie/stars-aligning-for-west-clare-greenway/
    lans for the Waterford Greenway commenced in 2004, Reddan outlined. It had 250,000 visitors in 2018 and 290,000 last year. During the Council’s trip, they used three businesses on the day, these included Waterford Greenway Bike Hire Company which has twelve full-time staff and 10 part-time staff, hiring out 300 bikes per day and 500 on peak days, there are an additional 12 bike hire companies on the route.

They also stopped at Coach House Coffee in Kilmacthomas which opened in 2017. The previously derelict building opened in 2017 and in the space of two years has gone from having twenty six seats to two hundred, their staff has also increased from five to twenty five with forty five people employed in high season. “Kilmacthomas has gone from having one to seven cafes in two years, 120 people are employed from Kilmacthomas,” Reddan stated. She pointed out that visitors will stay 65km away from the Greenway during peak times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭carq

Some interesting numbers coming from the Waterford greenway.

https://www.clareecho.ie/stars-aligning-for-west-clare-greenway/

I dont think it can be underestimated the impact of the greenway on Waterford businesses, expecially in Kilmac.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,766 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

jd wrote: »
    Some progress on the Rosslare-Waterford Greenway.
    From the Wexford People

this could be a spanner in the works though:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058048813

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

loyatemu wrote: »
    this could be a spanner in the works though:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058048813

Hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,766 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Hopefully.

it hardly improves the chances of the railway reopening either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Hopefully.

Pathetic, predictable selfishness from you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

MJohnston wrote: »
    Pathetic, predictable selfishness from you.

Guess I'm just a bad person. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Hopefully.

More than likely they would instead run cycleways through new ross/across the main road bridge in new ross to get punters into the town, then continue on back tot he railway line, would be a fantastic architectural feature to have on the route though, a real shame if it were to fall into disrepair

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Hopefully.
    And there are people on the WRC thread who accuse Greenway supporters of being spiteful ...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dog_in_the_Manger

If I can’t use it for what I want, then I don’t want anyone else using it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

Will Dublin ever get safe segregated cycle lanes or should I just move to Holland or Scandinavia lol

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Will Dublin ever get safe segregated cycle lanes or should I just move to Holland or Scandinavia lol

Before you head off have you tried any of the following .....

Supporting the Liffey Cycle Protest yesterday?
    Signing the uplift petition re a trial of the route?
    Bringing up cycling infra with your LE20 & GE20 canvassers?
    Asking them to sign up to cyclingforall.ie
    Responding to any of the DTTAs consultation papers re sustainable mobility especially the Active Travel one? (If not you have until 28th Feb)
    Assuming you're in GDA joining Dublin, DLR, Skerries or Maynooth Cycling Campaigns?
    If employed, asking your employer to sign up to Cycling Works Dublin?
    Ditto, asking your employer to become a Business member of Dublin Cycling? Campaign as Dropbox have just done, tho' not necessarily at that level?
    Taking part on any of the IBikeDublin Cycle Lane Protection events?

I'm sure you'll answer "I just want to ride my bicycle"! and I dont blame you!

Why isn't there a proper greenway.ie website as a one stop shop for every greenway in the land?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Why isn't there a proper greenway.ie website as a one stop shop for every greenway in the land?

Short answer, nobody has set one up yet.
    Long answer, one would assume that the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport would have set one up and SHOULD set one up, given my previously stressed statement that it is an illogical mix of roles this is actually one of those extremely rare occasions where all three of its briefs align!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

It's a good question and we can only guess it's because we've very few greenways and many are at planning stage so far. My experience of government departments, is that if it's a government led program you'll have a slick webpage, however the truth is, many of these greenways are community led, note there's an appeal for applications from groups who've been working on them, asking for ones that are 'shovel ready'.

In contrast the Eurovelo is centrally led and the funding has been pre-approved for them even if they've not been planned and built yet. Any of us interested in cycling infrastructure would do well to look at the plans and see what we can develop off them... Linking greenways is a prudent plan....

Greaney wrote: »
    It's a good question and we can only guess it's because we've very few greenways and many are at planning stage so far. My experience of government departments, is that if it's a government led program you'll have a slick webpage, however the truth is, many of these greenways are community led, note there's an appeal for applications from groups who've been working on them, asking for ones that are 'shovel ready'.

In contrast the Eurovelo is centrally led and the funding has been pre-approved for them even if they've not been planned and built yet. Any of us interested in cycling infrastructure would do well to look at the plans and see what we can develop off them... Linking greenways is a prudent plan....

Absolutely, take for example the future Athenry to Sligo greenway, that will connect nicely with that route

• Registered Users Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I'd say most greenways here are not interested in being part of a shared website, they see other greenways as competition. Each are probably happy enough to be seen as a standalone amenity. When we have an extensive network of greenways where people can travel long distances by bike alone we can market it to the world in a Wild Atlantic Way type campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Absolutely, take for example the future Athenry to Sligo greenway, that will connect nicely with that route

You'd think, but the Eurovelo route got a setback, and was to go through Loughrea and on to Craughwell and Claregalway.... the folk who want a greenway would do well to put their energy in that 5 mile stretch..... or drawing it up towards Athenry ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Sligo eye

Greaney wrote: »
    You'd think, but the Eurovelo route got a setback, and was to go through Loughrea and on to Craughwell and Claregalway.... the folk who want a greenway would do well to put their energy in that 5 mile stretch..... or drawing it up towards Athenry ;)

The folk who want a Greenway on the railway line from Athenry to Sligo were too busy writing this very spiteful Facebook page... https://www.facebook.com/Offdarails/photos/a.370787399936462/982606995421163/?type=3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

I always figured that some of the major infrastructure is a lost opportunity to provide good walking cycling access to areas that have stunning views. The two that come to mind as most obvious is the M50 bridge over the Liffey and the new New Ross bypass. These bridges could have easily been designed to have a safe walking and cycling lane to enjoy the views.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

stoneill wrote: »
    I always figured that some of the major infrastructure is a lost opportunity to provide good walking cycling access to areas that have stunning views. The two that come to mind as most obvious is the M50 bridge over the Liffey and the new New Ross bypass. These bridges could have easily been designed to have a safe walking and cycling lane to enjoy the views.

I agree, the first picture I saw of the New Ross bridge was that I wouldn't fancy being on the bike going across it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Grassey wrote: »
    I agree, the first picture I saw of the New Ross bridge was that I wouldn't fancy being on the bike going across it!

I was thinking about this as I drove over the bridge yesterday and you are 100% correct. There is no hard shoulder or walkway whatsoever on the bridge (unlike even Waterford's Thomas Francis Meagher Bridge). If you were to cycle it you would be completely at the mercy of passing cars, and while the majority of drivers could be expected to move to the overtaking lane and give you a wide berth, all it would take is one idiot to leave it too late to change lanes and attempt to skim past you in your lane. If there was even a narrow 1m-1.5m hard shoulder it would provide some refuge. As it stands the only hope would be to cycle 2m out from the parapet and completely hog the lane. But this carries its own dangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Sligo eye wrote: »
    The folk who want a Greenway on the railway line from Athenry to Sligo were too busy writing this very spiteful Facebook page... https://www.facebook.com/Offdarails/photos/a.370787399936462/982606995421163/?type=3

Must have lots of time on their hands, sad crank.

Adding walking/cycling paths (one each side) would effectively widen the structure by about 15% and that would have to be paid for by someone. You could build a single path of course but then you'd only have those lovely views in one direction.
    You'd also have the question about mixing pedestrians and cyclists as well....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    I'd say most greenways here are not interested in being part of a shared website, they see other greenways as competition. Each are probably happy enough to be seen as a standalone amenity. When we have an extensive network of greenways where people can travel long distances by bike alone we can market it to the world in a Wild Atlantic Way type campaign.

It's a "come visit our area and spend your money here" angle. They're hardly going to promote a greenway at the opposite end of the country let alone a neighbouring, quite likely rival one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

It's a "come visit our area and spend your money here" angle. They're hardly going to promote a greenway at the opposite end of the country let alone a neighbouring, quite likely rival one.

It’s not about one greenway promoting another at the opposite end of the country, a single website with info and promoting all greenways would be a good idea. Being part of such a shared resource would probably raise the profile of greenways generally and be beneficial for all.

Once we have an extensive enough interconnected greenway network, it should be marketed under a common brand with sub-branding for various sections. The success of the Wild Atlantic Way shows how far a brand of sufficient scale can reach.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

stoneill wrote: »

You might get a lot of jumpers. And in Dublin, the occasional mugger.

Advertisement