Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenways [greenway map of Ireland in post 1]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: I think that is a YES.

The Western Rail Corridor is not part of this thread. Please confine rail discussion to the other thread.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Hopefully the Greens will push through the greenway here and have it made actual policy rather than the standoff we have had for many years. Over the next couple of years we will have delivered some high quality, long distance greenways (Dublin to Athlone/Longford, Dungarvan - Rosslare, Rathkeale - Listowel) and it would be great to add Athenry - Sligo to that. There are obviously other sections around the country which will hopefully all be tied together into a proper network which traverses the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

You mean the Euro Velo route that has been constructed as far as Athlone, is being extended across the Shannon and which the remaining section to Galway is undergoing design at the moment with public consultations due to start in 2021?

That Euro velo route?

Yes

The thing now is.... the route is not in stone. Will it go through Loughrea? Athenry? Craughwell? Oranmore??? I guess it'd be easier if it was on a former railway line, but this way, communities may have to really engage in the process and explore and network through the options... or rather, develop options to begin with

Greaney wrote: »
    Yes

The thing now is.... the route is not in stone. Will it go through Loughrea? Athenry? Craughwell? Oranmore??? I guess it'd be easier if it was on a former railway line, but this way, communities may have to really engage in the process and explore and network through the options... or rather, develop options to begin with

As opposed to doing what?

Yes

There was a report that highlighted a route via Loughrea and a former canal branch there as a good route for Athlone - Galway. Not sure if was ever made an official route. I'll look for the report later.

• Advertisement

As opposed to doing what?

As opposed to

1) Sitting back and waiting for the politicians & civil servants to draw lines on a map, and then knocking their decisions

2) Getting whipped up over the first route that is presented without examining it.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    There was a report that highlighted a route via Loughrea and a former canal branch there as a good route for Athlone - Galway. Not sure if was ever made an official route. I'll look for the report later.

That'd be great. Yes, I was aware of the route up until Loughrea, but I think there were two choices after that, one to Craughwell, I can't remember the other.

If I were from Loughrea, I would be livid with the local TD who set back the plan without facilitating the Public Participation more fully.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Caquas

Says as much about the makers of the video as it does about the car owner.

The clip lasts about four seconds and the car is in the centre of the shot for the duration, clearly blocking the greenway. Was this edited by a robot or was someone trying to make a point?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Talking to some friends yesterday apparently the kingscourt to navan greenway has started with a 2 km section complete in nobber county meath on the old rail line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

That'd be great. Yes, I was aware of the route up until Loughrea, but I think there were two choices after that, one to Craughwell, I can't remember the other.

If I were from Loughrea, I would be livid with the local TD who set back the plan without facilitating the Public Participation more fully.

Theres loads of room from Loughrea up to the M6 along the N65, which was built along and beside the old railway.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Works on the Barrow Blueway to commence on the 15th July, starting at the Athy end.

Here

(Credit to nilhg in the Cycling Forum)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Works on the Barrow Blueway to commence on the 15th July, starting at the Athy end.

http://www.kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/...edium=facebook
    Thanks for posting, but that link is not working. The proper link is here.

This shows a route to Loughrea but not sure if it has been adopted as the official route between Athlone and Galway; http://www.smartertravel.ie/sites/default/files/uploads/2015_10_30%20Landowner%20consultation%20report%20to%20DTTAS%20%28Galway%20greenway%29%2025Sept2015.pdf

I remember seeing a more detailed report online, probably one of the ones mentioned on page 6 of that link, but can't find now.

This shows a route to Loughrea but not sure if it has been adopted as the official route between Athlone and Galway; http://www.smartertravel.ie/sites/default/files/uploads/2015_10_30%20Landowner%20consultation%20report%20to%20DTTAS%20%28Galway%20greenway%29%2025Sept2015.pdf

I remember seeing a more detailed report online, probably one of the ones mentioned on page 6 of that link, but can't find now.

No, the route is being redesigned at the moment due to ham fisted approach by Galway CoCo. They basically drew a line on a map and said we're taking this land. Doomed to fail. So any maps that you find around are out of date

This time around TII (I think) are routing it through as much state owned land as possible (bogs, forests etc) with a view to going to public consultation some time next year. There's an TII office set up in Ballinasloe dedicated to the development of the route and are taking a much more holistic approach with landowners concerns being catered for to a much greater degree e.g. where possible, routing along field edges rather than through the middle, access, security etc.

No, the route is being redesigned at the moment due to ham fisted approach by Galway CoCo. They basically drew a line on a map and said we're taking this land. Doomed to fail. So any maps that you find around are out of date

This time around TII (I think) are routing it through as much state owned land as possible (bogs, forests etc) with a view to going to public consultation some time next year. There's an TII office set up in Ballinasloe dedicated to the development of the route and are taking a much more holistic approach with landowners concerns being catered for to a much greater degree e.g. where possible, routing along field edges rather than through the middle, access, security etc.

Yes but the point was that there was once a canal to Loughrea so some or all of that route may be recoverable for the greenway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,766 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Yes but the point was that there was once a canal to Loughrea so some or all of that route may be recoverable for the greenway.

there was a railway until the 70s

Approaching_Lynchfort_level_crossing_near_Loughrea.jpg

Are you sure? I can't find anything on it but I do know there was a rail line, which was partly overlaid by the N65 I think its called, the motorway connector road from Loughrea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

loyatemu wrote: »
    there was a railway until the 70s

Approaching_Lynchfort_level_crossing_near_Loughrea.jpg

The route of which was mostly obliterated by building the new link road that connects Loughrea with the M6.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

there was a rail line, which was partly overlaid by the N65 I think its called, the motorway connector road from Loughrea
    Yes, there was a rail line which connected to the Dublin-Galway line at Attymon. The N65 is built on the alignment, but north of the M6, the alignment is clearly visible - could make a nice local amenity Greenway, and mean locals could take their daily constitutional on something other than narrow country roads.

Here's something very interesting though. Just north of junction 16 on the M6 is this (from Google Satellite):

517691.png

Sections of the old track. And what's that on it - is that a train?

517692.png

Why yes it is! From Google Streetview, it looks like it was an old station house. Does anyone know what the name of the station was?

• Advertisement

serfboard wrote: »
    Here's something very interesting though. Just north of junction 16 on the M6 is this (from Google Satellite)

Does anyone know what the name of the station was?

Can you drop a pin and post the location because I can't see that anywhere north of the junction

Edit: I see it now, it's literally beside the junction. Let me see if I can find out a name, most likely Kiltullagh Station

Dunsandle was the station name

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Dunsandle was the station name

And here's the Facebook page for the present set-up: https://www.facebook.com/DunsandleRailwayStation/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Bid for Clonmacnoise to Athlone greenway funding
    A local group seeking the development of an Athlone to Clonmacnoise Greenway has submitted a funding application to the Just Transition Fund.

The Athlone to Clonmacnoise Greenway Group is seeking approval for an initial phase of the proposed Greenway, and also for the longer-term development of a light rail service across the bog from Athlone to Shannonbridge.

The group, which was formed in the last twelve months, is chaired by Paul Mulvey and its secretary is Flan Barnwell.

In its submission to the Just Transition Fund, earlier this month, the group emphasised the importance of developing outdoor tourism amenities, particularly in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic which is likely to see more people take holidays at home in Ireland.

Read full story...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I wouldn't be using the pandemic as a reason to develop amenities like this. The vaccine will be readily available by the time work is finished and life would return to normal.
    Another point is that Bord na Mona used to run a tour train around their bog outside of Shannonbridge. Clearly didn't do all that well and doesn't run anymore. Would suggest that the light rail idea is a non runner.
    Clonmacnoise is close to a village called Belmont which has a double lock gate on the Grand Canal. If they ever develop the Grand Canal Greenway like the one on the Royal Canal you have the makings of a great cycling holiday. Set off from Dublin down the Royal Canal to Mullingar, Old Rail Trail to Athlone, this new route to Clonmacnoise, join the Grand Canal route in Belmont, back to Dublin.
    There's talk as well about developing on Bord na Monas bog lines west of the Shannon which ran on Grand Canal route into Ballinasloe.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

flazio wrote: »
    I wouldn't be using the pandemic as a reason to develop amenities like this. The vaccine will be readily available by the time work is finished and life would return to normal.
    That "normal" wasn't great though, was it? Let's try and make things better!

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Why the negativity? We could do with as many outdoor retreats as feasibly possible. It helps to improve quality of life and gets people outdoors.
    Secondly... unless you are working on a vaccine, i would hazard a guess that the statement there is inaccurate. Wouldnt hold my breath until there are advanced human trials completed

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

serfboard wrote:
    Yes, there was a rail line which connected to the Dublin-Galway line at Attymon. The N65 is built on the alignment, but north of the M6, the alignment is clearly visible - could make a nice local amenity Greenway, and mean locals could take their daily constitutional on something other than narrow country roads.

serfboard wrote:
    Here's something very interesting though. Just north of junction 16 on the M6 is this (from Google Satellite):

That would be a wonderful attraction to visit (the railway station with trains there). Not impossible for them to expand it into a museum either (not as handy as transporting by rail but either way).

I just find it a shame in this country that we have so few options to create decent rural segregated cycleways. Not to start a debate again...but it's either as us or them thing. Frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

no.8 wrote: »
    That would be a wonderful attraction to visit (the railway station with trains there). Not impossible for them to expand it into a museum either (not as handy as transporting by rail but either way).

I just find it a shame in this country that we have so few options to create decent rural segregated cycleways. Not to start a debate again...but it's either as us or them thing. Frustrating

It's not an attraction intended for the public, it's a private site, like someone's garden...with trains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

That "normal" wasn't great though, was it? Let's try and make things better!

Spot on, we needed to make changes like this before any pandemic

Advertisement