Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Pixel 4

Options

Comments

1jcdub wrote: »
    My experience with Vodafone is they're is very little or no bloat at all.
    Samsung duplicate Google apps. You can't delete them the only thing you can do is disable them. Regarding Facebook being preloaded on Samsung divides. With that being disabled it still uses data from your phone

It can't use data if you never sign in to it and disable it.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

It can't use data if you never sign in to it and disable it.

That hadn't been my experience in the past. I'm not on Facebook, so I never sign in. I'd disabled the app. And I'd seen data used at a later date while looking through app settings

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

ibFoxer wrote: »
    After coming off a Galaxy S9+ to the Pixel I don't think I could actually go back to Samsung, the bloat would annoy me.

I'd be hoping we see it appear today though there's every chance it won't too. Might give my buddy a shout and see if he knows anything.[/quote

Are you talking about Vodafone selling it?

I'm even onto my buddy in Google and cracking the whip, mine should have been here yesterday and still no joy, she is fairly high up there so hopefully hear something by the day's end...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

1jcdub wrote: »
    If you hear anything let us know..

Well. That was a dead end, they haven't heard anything good, bad or indifferent. I'll keep a weather eye, I have another buddy who might know a little more but he has yet to come back to me.

As for the bloat, I mean the Samsung apps, which although I know can be disabled it is still forcing something onto your device that you may not necessarily want. I had to use package disabler to limit them previously. It's a minor annoyance, but it's still present.

Fieldog wrote: »
    After coming off a Galaxy S9+ to the Pixel I don't think I could actually go back to Samsung, the bloat would annoy me.

I'd be hoping we see it appear today though there's every chance it won't too. Might give my buddy a shout and see if he knows anything.[/quote

Are you talking about Vodafone selling it?

I'm even onto my buddy in Google and cracking the whip, mine should have been here yesterday and still no joy, she is fairly high up there so hopefully hear something by the day's end...

Yeah talking about Voda. This Pixel launch has been a bit of a clusterf**k, between folk not receiving, folk receiving doa units (as per the Internet) and retailers not knowing if or when they will have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

seems very much like google have released a half baked offering here...

Camera maybe 10 percent better than last year..

the 90hz seems to be disaster - ramps down when the phone brightness is below 70 percent.. if you force it on in developer settings kills battery... 6gb is a help as apps dont close as much as before... face unlock is not secure in that you can basically unlock with your eyes closed... and they havent included even a finger print scanner on the back if you don't want to use face unlock..

the 3a seems like a much better offering in my mind for half the price.. you get a camera in the same ball park.. and performance, battery life and finger print scanner all work fine

Yeah talking about Voda. This Pixel launch has been a bit of a clusterf**k, between folk not receiving, folk receiving doa units (as per the Internet) and retailers not knowing if or when they will have it.

Funny after I whinge to my mate in Google I get a tracking number within 3 hours, I really shouldn't have to having preordered at same time as everyone else on here but at least it's on its way...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Hearing lots of bad things about the battery. I'll stick with Nokia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I was hoping to see info from Vodafone by today, their prices are usually competitive.

sentient_6 wrote: »
    I was hoping to see info from Vodafone by today, their prices are usually competitive.

There's zero waves at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

There's zero waves at all.

I'm thinking selling the 3 didn't go well and they could well be skipping the 4 now. We'll wait and see sure.

Vodafone might wait for the 4A and go for that price bracket.

One word of warning on returning, you can return the Pixel but not the free Google Home (there's a convenient error url when you try to return the Home for the past couple of days), so you basically get €99 less back for the phone than you paid and a Home you probably don't want.

Vodafone might wait for the 4A and go for that price bracket.

One word of warning on returning, you can return the Pixel but not the free Google Home (there's a convenient error url when you try to return the Home for the past couple of days), so you basically get €99 less back for the phone than you paid and a Home you probably don't want.

Did you get a free Chromebook voucher for the UK with your one?

Did you get a free Chromebook voucher for the UK with your one?

No, not the voucher in mine.

Curry’s seem to have the Oh So Orange for anyone waiting on that colour to become available.

sentient_6 wrote: »
    I'm thinking selling the 3 didn't go well and they could well be skipping the 4 now. We'll wait and see sure.

That's entirely possible yeah. Hopefully not, but I know that the 3/3a lines didn't sell exception well, I couldn't even get the 3a XL in my local shop without it being ordered in.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

Vodafone's choice of high end phones is pretty poor. Huawei are a good phone but not worth buying for now. After that the only choice is a Samsung phone or Apple.

Just landed on my desk, finally.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Alan Smithee

I emailed Vodafone and they said they didnt know if they will be stocking the pixel 4.

The smart phone market in regards to the carriers is really shrinking. The recent Sony xperia 1 and 5 and the latest LG are decent phones but neither 3 or vodafone bother with them anymore. I guess I'll have to save up and buy outright which in the long run is probably best.

I emailed Vodafone and they said they didnt know if they will be stocking the pixel 4.

The smart phone market in regards to the carriers is really shrinking. The recent Sony xperia 1 and 5 and the latest LG are decent phones but neither 3 or vodafone bother with them anymore. I guess I'll have to save up and buy outright which in the long run is probably best.

Thanks for that. Well, it's only a month ish to Black Friday. Will see what way the cookie crumbles then.

It feels huge in my hands coming from a standard P2, I find myself trying to stretch my thumbs and fingers to get around the screen, the screen looks unreal though, to me that is the most impressive coming from my old P2 at first....

The gesture thing seems to work well so far, one thing I noticed was the face unlock can be a bit flaky, or I may even re-do the face part as I just set it up in work to have a go, seems hit and miss or maybe I am not doing it right..

Edit : redone the face thing and it is working much better now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭henke

It feels huge in my hands coming from a standard P2, I find myself trying to stretch my thumbs and fingers to get around the screen, the screen looks unreal though, to me that is the most impressive coming from my old P2 at first....

The gesture thing seems to work well so far, one thing I noticed was the face unlock can be a bit flaky, or I may even re-do the face part as I just set it up in work to have a go, seems hit and miss or maybe I am not doing it right..

Edit : redone the face thing and it is working much better now

Would be interested to hear how you get on with the size difference from someone also thinking of moving standard to XL. I am wary the larger size could be a nuisance day to day.

Did any of ye get the free Chromebook to claim, and can't claim it? Would you be willing to pass it on for a moderate fee?

henke wrote: »
    Would be interested to hear how you get on with the size difference from someone also thinking of moving standard to XL. I am wary the larger size could be a nuisance day to day.

It's very comfortable, only a few hours in with it but it seems easy to use and I've adjusted surprisingly quickly...

Ask me in a day or two... :)

Screenshot-20191026-114555.png

My biggest worry even for the XL was battery life, and it's exceeded what I expected so far, first charge and I've been on it constantly, I did put it into airplane mode overnight though...

Screenshot-20191026-114555.png

My biggest worry even for the XL was battery life, and it's exceeded what I expected so far, first charge and I've been on it constantly, I did put it into airplane mode overnight though...

That's really impressive. Have you anything turned off or apps limited or anything?

That's really impressive. Have you anything turned off or apps limited or anything?

Nope, just uninstalled a few ones I'd never use, VR, Google docs etc, I run minimal apps usually anyway, VLC, tune in, PlayStation, Bank, Eventbrite, Telegram, Facebook lite, a few pic editors and that's about it really.....

I'm well chuffed with it so far and loving the big screen, even though I thought I would hate it or go to the smaller model...

The lad on the Android Central podcast this week reeeeally isn’t a fan :D

The lad on the Android Central podcast this week reeeeally isn’t a fan :D

A huge step up from a standard size P2 for me, I probably wouldn't recommend to those with a P3 though if I'm honest...

I read an interesting comment on a thread on reddit today, which basically boils down to this-

Don't let your head be turned by tech reviewers, Youtube personalities and the like- everyone's usage patterns differ so much that it's impossible to predict how it would go for you.

Case in point, one smaller reviewer reached in excess of 7 hours SOT (including 5 hours plus Youtube with a full charge to 11% over the course of a 20 hour day, with a battery prediction of 1 day 2 hours under current usage. Another small reviewer achieved similar stats with a similar usage pattern to myself, which was allowing for 1 day 3 hours battery on a full charge.

Note these were both on the XL model, and those usage patterns will not be all things to all people. But it's ultimately a positive.

• Advertisement

I gave mine a chance for a couple of days after. Loved using it, camera, etc but the idle standby was woeful so I still sent it back. Would lose 10-20% sitting on a desk over 90mins or so. I probably would have kept it because of my situation of always being able to charge, it was seriously good to use, but at the end of the day I’d a few other reasons that swayed it.

Advertisement