Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The one and only refund thread [READ MOD NOTE BEFORE POSTING]!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

Izy wrote: »
    Had 2 separate return flights with ryanair, one in early march to Rome, another one early may to Bratislava.

Flight to Rome was cancelled by Ryanair a day before departure ( not that I was going to travel ) and everything worked fairly ok, refund process request sent, email with refund confirmation received, but no refund came... Phone calls to customer service, live chat and everything else done, refunds went from 5-7 days, to 14 days to 28 days to whenever the pandemic is over. A few weeks later a voucher email arrived, another phone call to refuse it ( if it was as AL with 110% and for 5 years i would've kept it ) and put in refund queue...

Flight to Bratislava was completely different experience, no refund email after cancelling, voucher offer a 2 weeks after cancelling, chat with online agent to refuse it and put in queue for refund.

After reading this thread, opened a case with PayPal for both.

Yesterday PayPal issued a refund for the first flight as it had the refund email confirmation.

AND TODAY Ryanair emailed me that it's THEM who are processing my refund after loosing the case.

Don't have a resolution on the second case yet as i had no email with the refund confirmation from Ryanair....

Absolute chancers, that email from them that they processed my refund was just insult to injury...

The resolution to my second case came through today and the good guys at Paypal ruled in my favour again so I'll be receiving a refund soon, the refund from my first case hit my bank account 3 days after the email fromPaypal....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I'm looking at the Aer Lingus fee-free offer for a flight change. If I choose a cheaper flight will Aer Lingus refund the cost difference to the original flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭paddy19

vektarman wrote: »
    I'm looking at the Aer Lingus fee-free offer for a flight change. If I choose a cheaper flight will Aer Lingus refund the cost difference to the original flight?

Will they hell!

One way traffic, to stay with the travel analogy, when the price difference is more than the original fare, you pay.

When the price is less than the original Aer Lingus pocket the difference and thank you for your contribution to their profits.

In fairness to Aer Lingus the voucher is one of the better ones +10% and 5 year expiry.

Izy wrote: »
    The resolution to my second case came through today and the good guys at Paypal ruled in my favour again so I'll be receiving a refund soon, the refund from my first case hit my bank account 3 days after the email fromPaypal....

Good work.

Always a question if it is better running charges through PayPal or direct with the card.

Experience seems to be a bit mixed with some folk finding PayPal were not interested and others like yourself happy out.:)

Seems PayPal is less of a hassle than chargeback with the manual formal filling.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Spanish flights with FR that were cancelled, chargeback form submitted to BOI 3 weeks ago and money landed on card on Friday.

One down, just an argument with Budget Travel to go (will go down the charge back route there too by the looks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

As Paddy19 said, PayPal haven't helped everyone, I'm one of that batch. Last time I booked Ryanair flights (in January for September, not even thinking about those yet) I noticed the fees for paying with PayPal had increased and paid directly with my card instead.

Spanish flights with FR that were cancelled, chargeback form submitted to BOI 3 weeks ago and money landed on card on Friday.

One down, just an argument with Budget Travel to go (will go down the charge back route there too by the looks.

Good on ya, that's excellent news. Bank Of Ireland are really coming up trumps with a 3 week turnaround.

Message to AIB, PTSB and the rest of the lazy bankers.... get off your ass and start looking after your customers rather than delays and lame excuses.

paddy19 wrote: »
    Good work.

Always a question if it is better running charges through PayPal or direct with the card.

Experience seems to be a bit mixed with some folk finding PayPal were not interested and others like yourself happy out.:)

Seems PayPal is less of a hassle than chargeback with the manual formal filling.

I did put a bit of effort into describing the reasons for the charge back request and attached screenshoots of the communication ( or lack of ) with Ryanair. Gave them the whole nine yards on the EU261 and how Ryanair is ignoring it.

Caranica wrote: »
    I noticed the fees for paying with PayPal had increased and paid directly with my card instead.

Ryanair charging a different fare based on your payment method? surely you only choosing your payment option after everything is selected???

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭D8 boy

Similar experience here, I lodged a case with PayPal, they replied with a response from Ryanair that I had been offered a voucher. I replied to PayPal too say it wasn't acceptable, PayPal ruled in my favour and there money arrived in my bank account today.

I've dealt with chargebacks on the merchant side and they are painful: if I remember correctly the merchant is charged something like €10 per chargeback processed and this rises if they get more than a certain % of chargebacks to purchases. If lots of people go down the chargeback route, FR m ay regret taking the approach they have.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

That’s really interesting d8, wonder of PayPal making a few quid doing them! As you say if enough do it it might prompt ra. With the UK opening up more this week I wonder will this speed things up? Or do Irish staff deal with Irish cancellations etc

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

pc7 wrote: »
    That’s really interesting d8, wonder of PayPal making a few quid doing them! As you say if enough do it it might prompt ra. With the UK opening up more this week I wonder will this speed things up? Or do Irish staff deal with Irish cancellations etc

Group head office is in the airside retail park so I'd assume all refunds are processed there regardless of currency.

Given the volume of credit card transactions FR would do I assume it will take it would take a lot of people to go down the charge back route before they start getting penalised. It's a pity some of the lazy consumer 'jounalists' don't mention chargebacks more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭mactheknife19

Due to fly to a Spain in August but would prefer not to as part of vulnerable group. Preference would be to book for same time next year. That’s not possible as the flights for then are not on their site.
    Would I be right in thinking I could reachedule for some time next March now for free ( new fare dependent) and then reschedule again at a change cost for August 21.
    Is there anyway to get a voucher. The site says 30th June so can’t apply online. But wondering if rang reservations would it be possibly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Paddy GT wrote: »
    Not sure if this thread is for airline refunds only, but before the pandemic I had a booking at a Radisson hotel. The price was inflated because of an event that was happening and it was a non refundable rate with full payment taken at the time of booking.

I recently contacted the hotel to request a refund as they will not be open due to the restrictions for the time of my stay. I was told that because my booking was non-refundable, no refund would be offered and the only option I have is to take up a credit for the value of my booking.

I would have thought since the hotel cannot provide accommodation for the period of my stay it was a slam dunk refund?

Did you ever get sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Had flights booked for Easter which they cancelled, haven't got the money back yet (mentioned it here previously). Not holding my breath.

So we had flights booked for the end of July, Ryanair cancelled weeks ago, I applied for the refund and over the weekend got the mail saying I can have a voucher instead, blah, blah, blah.

The unusual thing is Ryanair have a new schedule for July which is less flights obviously but the dates we were travelling are included in the new schedule. Didn't check the prices, must do so to see if they have changed much.

As an aside, we were looking at accommodation in mid Sept in Spain just to see what prices are, demand must be huge as the prices are dearer than the original July prices we were due to pay.
    Also, people are saying we should support Irish hotels when they open. Prices are as expensive as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Was originally going to take the cash refund and chase it but we are booking new flights so said I'd hold out for the voucher.

It's been 3 weeks and no offer of a voucher. Was told by live chat today that I won't get one and have to wait 6 months for the refund in cash.

Asked why, they said its up to head office.

Cant understand why they won't offer me the voucher when my booking is over 1500 euro that I am willing to keep with them instead of aer Lingus.

Just makes me want to take them to SCC or do a chargeback even more now.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Roanmore wrote: »
    Also, people are saying we should support Irish hotels when they open. Prices are as expensive as ever.

Why would anyone pay the huge prices (I've searched a few hotels) in Ireland, when you have breakfast in your room, no communal areas open and likely no bar open, if it rains you are screwed. At least in Spain you can sit out in the sun and eat in comfort.

It's been 3 weeks and no offer of a voucher. Was told by live chat today that I won't get one and have to wait 6 months for the refund in cash.

Asked why, they said its up to head office.

That's really odd, considering they want people to take vouchers, is this another new policy today!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

That's really odd, considering they want people to take vouchers, is this another new policy today!

It's very strange, I mean originally I was for the refund but talking to the others on the booking we decided to just get the voucher and rebook for next year straight away.

It's strange that they push vouchers on people and then when I actually tell them I want a voucher, I want the money to stay in their pockets and want to rebook with them, they say no.

Instead now I'll proceed with a chargeback, book the flights with aer lingus and they've just lost over €1500 and future business from us. So I guess its their loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭limabromac

A little update... I called AIB this morning to see if there was any new news on my chargeback dispute from ryanair.... I started this on the 21st April...the CSA said that it had been approved and that I would see it crediting my card account soon.... Am I in shock, yes....

• Advertisement

limabromac wrote: »
    A little update... I called AIB this morning to see if there was any new news on my chargeback dispute from ryanair.... I started this on the 21st April...the CSA said that it had been approved and that I would see it crediting my card account soon.... Am I in shock, yes....

Excellent news limabromac. AIB are getting it together.

I think we can now designate Chargeback/PayPal as the best process for refunds.

SCC is fine for Aer Lingus but no joy with Ryanair.

Not seeing much feedback about www.flightrights.ie.
    I have distinct feeling they are buried.

limabromac wrote: »

Limabromac, did you contact them by phone before sending paper work in? I've all paper work ready to go but just want to give RA another few days to show I am be reasonable. Thanks.

paddy19 wrote: »
    Excellent news limabromac. AIB are getting it together.

I think we can now designate Chargeback/PayPal as the best process for refunds.

SCC is fine for Aer Lingus but no joy with Ryanair.

Not seeing much feedback about www.flightrights.ie.
    I have distinct feeling they are buried.

Thanks paddy19 and everyone here on the boards...I will update once it's actually in my account but for now it's as good as...

I will also stay on the threads to see if anyone else needs any help in the future...

Limabromac, did you contact them by phone before sending paper work in? I've all paper work ready to go but just want to give RA another few days to show I am be reasonable. Thanks.

Yes...I contacted by phone to initiate the dispute.(21st April) .then sent the hardcopy of request by post, I didn't have a printer so couldn't fill out the chargeback form but kept to the main points in that form...rang two weeks later(start of may) to follow up and submitted all emails and receipts from ryaniair...

Rang today and guy said it was closed and disputed successfully. ..with credit coming back into my account in the next couple of days. .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Interesting development today. I already got my money back for March flights via chargeback. Today Ryanair sent me an email to tell me they've processed my refund for these same flights. So they've no idea I already got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

I tried a refund via paypal this evening only to find an immediate closure of the case stating that it found in favour of the vendor. This happened instantly so it was done automatically. Paypal lines are closed and there is no communication with them, only a useless community link

Copy from Ryanair Ryanair Ryanair
    NickSantigo

Refund Success

I got an email from Ryanair yesterday confirming my refund
    "We acknowledge your request for a refund in lieu of a travel voucher for your unused booking.

We confirm that your refund request has been processed back to the form of payment used to pay for your booking.
    Your issuing bank will take 5-7 working days to process this refund amount back to your account."

Had been waiting since March for a refund but getting no joy. They kept offering me a voucher.
    I lodged a complaint to the regulator here https://www.flightrights.ie/ and all of a sudden things started to move.

May be worth making a complaint if you are getting no joy dealing with Ryanair directly
    Happy hunting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Think thats a coincidence to be honest. Quite a few people with march flights have got the refund email now me included. Seems they're working through the backlog.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Has anyone had an Aer Lingus flight cancelled recently? I have a flight from Perpignan back to Dublin on Sunday week that they still haven't cancelled yet. I presume they're just leaving it as late as possible to get as many as they can to apply for their vouchers.

• Advertisement

Has anyone had an Aer Lingus flight cancelled recently? I have a flight from Perpignan back to Dublin on Sunday week that they still haven't cancelled yet. I presume they're just leaving it as late as possible to get as many as they can to apply for their vouchers.

Yeah they are leaving it until a couple of days beforehand. Hang on and apply for your refund when it is actually cancelled.

Advertisement