Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The one and only refund thread [READ MOD NOTE BEFORE POSTING]!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭firemansam4

paddy19 wrote: »
    OK I'm wondering now did I make the correct decision bringing this claim.

I now have several questions....

There is a section on the claim and as mentioned on the citizens advice page posted above, for where the respondent can put in a counter claim.
    Is there anything stopping Ryanair from doing this claiming it is costing them huge fees in legal expenses?

Short answer is yes. Ryanair can't counter claim.
    This would only apply if respondent claim they were injured/loss money in some way. It specifically does not apply to legal fees.

Secondly if the claim does go to court, do I have to attend in person? I live in Co. Donegal so not an easy task for me.

Yes, Afraid you would have to.

How are we able to submit this evidence? I have all the emails ready to submit, may e we should contact the small claims court about this?

Third question is in relation to Ryanair responding about not being any proof in form of emails ect?

You can ref the emails in your claim. Email from:xxx dated yy yy yyyy states zzzzz

Thanks for the reply...

Well its good to know they wont be able to counter claim for expenses, as that would have been a bit of a worry for me.

In relation to maybe having to attend court, this seems to go against the advice you posted in the sticky?
    (Don't get me wrong, I'm not giving out to you about this, but it might be an idea to change the advice about the potential costs of having to attend court.)

And about referencing the emails in the claim, there does not seem to be an option to do that now it is submitted. Maybe I should contact the court about this?

It also seems to me that what Ryanair are attempting to do is either intimidate the claimant from making the claim and withdrawing it or they are trying to get the claim struck out before it goes to court.

I wonder if several cases still go the distance and a court date is set, will Ryanair at that stage decide to just settle up instead of having the potential costs of several court cases stacking up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭paddy19

Thanks for the reply...

Well its good to know they wont be able to counter claim for expenses, as that would have been a bit of a worry for me.

In relation to maybe having to attend court, this seems to go against the advice you posted in the sticky?
    (Don't get me wrong, I'm not giving out to you about this, but it might be an idea to change the advice about the potential costs of having to attend court.)

And about referencing the emails in the claim, there does not seem to be an option to do that now it is submitted. Maybe I should contact the court about this?
    Absolutely, no problem.
    The vast majority of companies, simply pay up rather than incurring additional legal fees.

Especially when it's as open and shut as a cancelled flight refund case.

But then Ryanair was never like the vast majority of companies.

Found some information I think that answer some of my own questions on the FAQ page from the courts online page:

Hearing
    What if the respondent fails to respond to my claim?

If the respondent fails to respond to the claim within XX days / weeks , the Small Claims Registrar may there and then fix a date, time and location for a hearing of the claim before a Judge of the District Court. The date and time of the hearing and the address of the Courthouse will be sent to both parties by post.

What if the Small Claims Registrar fails to resolve the claim?

If the Small Claims Registrar is unable to bring about a settlement he/she will bring the case to the District Court for, if requested to do so, for a hearing before a District Court judge.

The meeting will be informal and private. The Small Claims Registrar will probably ask you and the respondent to outline the facts. He/she may question both parties in an effort to clarify the issues. If an agreement cannot be reached the Small Claims Registrar may there and then fix a date, time and location for a hearing of the claim before a Judge of the District Court. The date and time of the hearing and the address of the Courthouse will be sent to both parties by post.

Do I have to attend the Court Hearing?

You must attend the District Court hearing. NOTE: The Court environment is formal. If you are not familiar with the court process, you should familarise yourself with the layout, court practice and the operation of the court in advance of the hearing.

Do I have to bring any documentation to Court on the day?

Yes, on the court day remember to bring with you documentary evidence supporting your claim, e.g example letters, receipts, invoices etc

Will the court case be heard in open Court?

The case will be heard in public as part of a normal sitting of the District Court. The Judge may require the Small Claims Registrar to assist the court at the hearing.

Will I be asked to provide oral evidence in court?

Evidence must be given under oath or affirmation and the respondent can question you on matters relating to your claim (called cross-examination). The Respondent will also be given an opportunity to give evidence. Each witness can be subject to cross examination by the opposing party or their legal representatives.

Seems that people may need to attend a meeting with the district judge first and then may have to attend the hearing at a later date after this if the issue is not resolved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Anyone have a clue of what Aer lingus’ tactics are at the moment?

They’re constantly saying on their twitter and to customers that June flights will operate. Yet I see they’ve cancelled the North American ones early in June today.

They’re still selling on website for June.

Whole thing just doesn’t seem realistic with Ryanair only going from 1st July along with a lot of other UK airlines.

Are they hoping people will seek vouchers now instead of their June flights rather than hold out for a refund after cancellation?

I’m due to fly with rest of my family of 7 on 20 June to Faro but can’t see it happening at all. The Villa owner of accommodation is asking for full payment 5 June.
    I can just picture me paying him then Aer lingus cancelling a week before it

• Advertisement

Found some information I think that answer some of my own questions on the FAQ page from the courts online page:

Seems that people may need to attend a meeting with the district judge first and then may have to attend the hearing at a later date after this if the issue is not resolved.

These are general guidelines are for all cases before SCC.
    This could be a case between you and your plumber.

The district court judge is unlikely to try to have a nice sit down with you and Ryanair.

This is a game of who blinks first.
    Ryanair will probably fight it all the way but may decide to settle at the very last minute.
    They could decide to make it a test case and go all the way to the high court.

With Ryanair you never know.

CBear1993 wrote: »

They’re constantly saying on their twitter and to customers that June flights will operate. Yet I see they’ve cancelled the North American ones early in June today.

Whole thing just doesn’t seem realistic with Ryanair only going from 1st July along with a lot of other UK airlines.

Are they hoping people will seek vouchers now instead of their June flights rather than hold out for a refund after cancellation?

I’m due to fly with rest of my family of 7 on 20 June to Faro but can’t see it happening at all. The Villa owner of accommodation is asking for full payment 5 June.

Oh yes AL are not officially cancelling until 2 days before the flight.

If you think they might fly you can reschedule to a flight that has a better chance of not flying.
    A bit of detective work on flightaware will show the history of flights.
    Stupid games I know, but if they fly and you don't show then you loose the fare.

Aer Lingus seem to be paying up in SCC and flightrights for cancelled flights.

hi all got my cancelllation email from aerlingus about to fill out refund form online, do i fill out just my detail or details of all under the booking (myself and 2 kids)? all booked under the same booking reference. thanks

Fill out everything they ask, carefully.
    They are looking for any excuse not to give you back your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Fill out everything they ask, carefully.
    They are looking for any excuse not to give you back your money.

perfect, ill put in all passengers names from bookings thanks. BTW i was due to fly to US early June and they cancelled flight, website shows no flights to Orlando for my data.

Request a refund for the June flights, USA trips are dependent on the whims of one Donald J Trump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Its probably being addressed above and Ive missed it but has anyone got a refund yet from Ryanair through Flightrights or is it only Aer Lingus settling up this way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Its probably being addressed above and Ive missed it but has anyone got a refund yet from Ryanair through Flightrights or is it only Aer Lingus settling up this way?

not yet,

Aer Lingus refunded me before they even got the flightrights case (got the email morning after i submitted it to flightrights)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

So, previously I had success with a BOI chargeback for a Vueling flight (Vueling not playing ball)

Last week I submitted another BOI chargeback for an Aer Lingus flight. Today, full refund to credit card. This is after AL messing me about for the past few weeks (various refund requests, various calls with promises of a refund within 3 - 5 working days).

FAIR PLAY BANK OF IRELAND.

NOTE: For both chargebacks, I submitted ALL required paperwork and then some.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I found FlightRights useless. Submitted a case 2 weeks ago - not a peep apart from an auto reply with a case number.

Submitted a chargeback (BOI) and the refund appeared this morning.

FAIR PLAY BOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I found FlightRights useless. Submitted a case 2 weeks ago - not a peep apart from an auto reply with a case number.

Submitted a chargeback (BOI) and the refund appeared this morning.

FAIR PLAY BOI.

Maybe Ryanair's accounts with AIB and UB hence the success of BOI only charge back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Oh yes AL are not officially cancelling until 2 days before the flight.

If you think they might fly you can reschedule to a flight that has a better chance of not flying.
    A bit of detective work on flightaware will show the history of flights.
    Stupid games I know, but if they fly and you don't show then you loose the fare.

Aer Lingus seem to be paying up in SCC and flightrights for cancelled flights.

Are you saying to reschedule to a midweek flight for example? I'm due to fly Dublin to Brussels on Friday week, both outbound and inbound flights have already been rescheduled slightly time wise.

Flightaware says DUB-BRU flew on Sunday and Monday, will keep a sharp eye and see if this Friday's flight goes or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

So I was told last week I would receive a full refund and surprise i never got it. Rang then earlier. Same story, you'll receive a full refund but we cant tell you the exact date but it will be in the next few days bla bla. Your claim has been escalated bla bla bla. Told the guy on the phone this is the 3rd time I've been told this. He went off for a few mins and came back and told me it would be in my account no later than tomorow evening. I'm not holding out much hope though.
    I made sure he told me 100% that I would receive a full refund and told him I was writing everything down that he was saying to me and if I didn't I would go to the SCC in the hope that they might actually refund me.

Has anyone had any success with KBC Chargeback if I don't receive my refund tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

We were flying aerlingus dub to lanzarote June 24th. And home with Ryanair lanzarote to Dublin July 8th.

I have just gotten a email from Ryanair cancelling our flight July 8th. I went onto the link and applied for the refund and it seems to have worked. Now its a waiting game. No mention of a voucher?!

Ryanair wrote:
    Dear Customer,

We sincerely regret to advise you that due to the impact of COVID-19, Ryanair has been forced to cancel your flight(s) FR7125 from Lanzarote to Dublin T1 on 08Jul20. Please advise any other customers who may be travelling in your party.

We are notifying customers today to inform you that you can choose between a full refund of the cost of your ticket, or the option of re-routing as well as reasonable care (as detailed below).

1. Apply for a refund

If you wish to cancel your reservation and claim a full refund of the unused flight(s) click https://schdchng.ryanair.com//Refund?m=20052011-4123-52fa-a236-78e6714c6ba4&mc=2792&lg=EN&p=4 and enter your booking details.

2. Change your cancelled flight (for free)

You have the right to re-routing to your final destination, under comparable transport conditions, either at the earliest opportunity or at a later date at your convenience subject to seats being available.

If you wish to avail of re-routing on another Ryanair flight to the same or an alternative destination airport on the same day or an alternative date (before or after your scheduled departure date), please contact our Customer Care Team (subject to opening hours) or go to the airport ticket desk. Our Customer Care Team can also assist if you require other re-routing options, such as earlier re-routing on an alternative airline, train, bus or car hire.

If you avail of re-routing at the earliest opportunity, you will be entitled to (and where applicable provided with) reasonable meals and refreshments, hotel accommodation, transport between the airport and your place of accommodation (hotel or other) as well as transport to or from an alternative airport, as applicable.

If care is nevertheless not offered even though it should have been, please keep all itemised receipts for reasonable expenses you may incur, as you will need to submit these to Ryanair to claim back your expenses.

Please find attached a full text of your rights under EU Regulation 261/2004.

For more information on Flight Cancellations or Delays, please click here.

We again sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

michellie wrote: »
    We were flying aerlingus dub to lanzarote June 24th. And home with Ryanair lanzarote to Dublin July 8th.

I have just gotten a email from Ryanair cancelling our flight July 8th. I went onto the link and applied for the refund and it seems to have worked. Now its a waiting game. No mention of a voucher?!

will be a long waiting game

also expect email in 20 days forcing a voucher on you

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭limabromac

CosmicFool wrote: »
    So I was told last week I would receive a full refund and surprise i never got it. Rang then earlier. Same story, you'll receive a full refund but we cant tell you the exact date but it will be in the next few days bla bla. Your claim has been escalated bla bla bla. Told the guy on the phone this is the 3rd time I've been told this. He went off for a few mins and came back and told me it would be in my account no later than tomorow evening. I'm not holding out much hope though.
    I made sure he told me 100% that I would receive a full refund and told him I was writing everything down that he was saying to me and if I didn't I would go to the SCC in the hope that they might actually refund me.

Has anyone had any success with KBC Chargeback if I don't receive my refund tomorrow?
    Hopefully KBC honour their word...

Maybe you could ask in the chargeback thread? Over on the SCC thread it is also reporting a longer wait because of increased demand...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    will be a long waiting game

also expect email in 20 days forcing a voucher on you

Yep I expect that, I'm just glad the process is starting now, I was expecting it to be much closer to the flight date.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Just received confirmation via my Son's school that the Topflight refunds for their cancelled Easter trip will be via the Government backed credit note scheme.

Credit note is transferable and can be used for future Topflight bookings, or refunded in cash on the date specified.

My refund seems to have morphed into a government backed post dated cheque ;)

I have a cancelled trip to India awaiting refund too and that will likely be the same thing too.

banie01 wrote: »
    Just received confirmation via my Son's school that the Topflight refunds for their cancelled Easter trip will be via the Government backed credit note scheme.

Credit note is transferable and can be used for future Topflight bookings, or refunded in cash on the date specified.

My refund seems to have morphed into a government backed post dated cheque ;)

I have a cancelled trip to India awaiting refund too and that will likely be the same thing too.

Great news ... : )

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Are you saying to reschedule to a midweek flight for example? I'm due to fly Dublin to Brussels on Friday week, both outbound and inbound flights have already been rescheduled slightly time wise.

Flightaware says DUB-BRU flew on Sunday and Monday, will keep a sharp eye and see if this Friday's flight goes or not.

Ryanair are much more difficult to manage than Aer Lingus.

Ryanair are way more upfront about their flights.
    DUB BRU is one of the few flights they have kept until June 20th.

"Ryanair have waived our flight change fee for any travel between 13th March and 31st May."
    You have nothing to lose by rescheduling in the hope that the new flight doesn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭obi604

obi604 wrote: »
    right.

I haven't done mine yet, still not bloody sure of the best way to do it

1. via the link in the mail
    2. https://refundclaims.ryanair.com/
    3. Ryanair > Manage my booking > see cancelled flight and then > get a refund

I did my refund via option 1 the other day.

At the time I did it, only one of the flights was cancelled - the one from Shannon to faro. but I had the option to select checkbox: " I wish to apply for a refund for ALL customers and for ALL flights booked on this flight reservation:" and I selected this.

I have just gotten an email now that the flight from Faro to Shannon is indeed cancelled and a link to apply for a refund.

Do I need to do another refund now or just leave as is?

obi604 wrote: »
    I did my refund via option 1 the other day.

At the time I did it, only one of the flights was cancelled - the one from Shannon to faro. but I had the option to select checkbox:" I wish to apply for a refund for ALL customers and for ALL flights booked on this flight reservation:" and I selected this.

I have just gotten an email now that the flight from Faro to Shannon is indeed cancelled and a link to apply for a refund.

Do I need to do another refund now or just leave as is?

Once you have checked "I wish to apply for a refund for ALL customers and for ALL flights booked on this flight reservation " then you should be grand...

If you want piece of mind you could always try it again but I'm sure that the form would probably just say "application in process for this booking"

Ryanair will probably review the form anyway on the other side and notice all flights are cxld will issue you with a follow up email voucher in 20 days..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Not looking good for July lads, My flights in July (supposed to go out the 1st and back the 8) have been cancelled this morning.

I was going to take a voucher but dont have the option? Only have the option for a refund or to change the flights?

Does the voucher option come a few days later or what?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

CBear1993 wrote: »

Aer Lingus’ flights for the month of June on their website are now showing as “sold out”. I just typed in to faro 20-30th June and you can’t book.

I’ve messaged them on twitter with a screenshot of this.

You would think that that means they are not going to operate ?

I’m aware other destinations also showing as sold out now in June.

Or is it because people were changing flights in July and August to June, hoping it would be cancelled, so they’ve effectively shut off this loophole?

Not looking good for July lads, My flights in July (supposed to go out the 1st and back the 8) have been cancelled this morning.

I was going to take a voucher but dont have the option? Only have the option for a refund or to change the flights?

Does the voucher option come a few days later or what?

From earlier post: ryanairs process

Basically to start the whole process you have to notice that your flights ( in the My Bookings side of ryanair )are cancelled and click to get a refund... This link will lead you to a refund form which you fill out...

Or not notice that your flights have cancelled and receive a text message that says check your emails..you check your email to notice your flight is cancelled and then click to reschedule or refund which brings you to a link to request a refund ( which basically resembles the refund form)

So both these ways bring you to the same place....

Next you wait after your form for refund goes through...about 20 days

Then you receive a voucher...

Then you decide whether to accept that voucher or reject that voucher.you either clink the link to accept the voucher or click the link to reject the voucher, the rejection is harder as it brings you to the chat.. ryanair will not make it easy..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

limabromac wrote: »
    From earlier post: ryanairs process

Basically to start the whole process you have to notice that your flights ( in the My Bookings side of ryanair )are cancelled and click to get a refund... This link will lead you to a refund form which you fill out...

Or not notice that your flights have cancelled and receive a text message that says check your emails..you check your email to notice your flight is cancelled and then click to reschedule or refund which brings you to a link to request a refund ( which basically resembles the refund form)

So both these ways bring you to the same place....

Next you wait after your form for refund goes through...about 20 days

Then you receive a voucher...

Then you decide whether to accept that voucher or reject that voucher.you either clink the link to accept the voucher or click the link to reject the voucher, the rejection is harder as it brings you to the chat.. ryanair will not make it easy..

Ah thank you, there so many difference posts in this thread I didnt see that, be no harm for a mod to sticky it!

Cheers.

Advertisement