Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo STB

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Sigma101

peking97 wrote: »
    Box will not power-up. Mostly it's completely dead but at random times it appears to start the power-up cycle but then fails after a few seconds and dead again!

I have the exact same problem. Sometimes the box powers up, sometimes not. When it powers up it typically freezes on one channel and doesn't react anymore to any commands. I got mine from Satworld just 6 months ago. They're not answering their phone or responding to mails. I'd love to know how you get on with your repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Sigma101 wrote: »
    I have the exact same problem. Sometimes the box powers up, sometimes not. When it powers up it typically freezes on one channel and doesn't react anymore to any commands. I got mine from Satworld just 6 months ago. They're not answering their phone or responding to mails. I'd love to know how you get on with your repair.

Where is your epg been stored is it internal flash? needs to be hdd or usb or box will run out of memory.
    What is your box ip --- 192.168.1.**

Enter that into web browser and it should open webif and see if any buttons used there do more than remote.
    Satworld were contactable to the trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

I'd love to know how you get on with your repair.
    Well it's on it's way back to WoS at the moment. I'll post again if any developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Sigma101

greasepalm wrote: »
    Where is your epg been stored is it internal flash? needs to be hdd or usb or box will run out of memory.
    What is your box ip --- 192.168.1.**

Enter that into web browser and it should open webif and see if any buttons used there do more than remote.
    Satworld were contactable to the trade.

Thanks for the info. The epg is stored on the hdd. Webif is accessible when the box powers up correctly. When the box freezes it's no longer visible on the network. Most of the time the box wont power up or it will stay frozen on one channel. I've spoken to Satworld since and they say it needs to be reflashed. I can post it to them but they didn't commit to covering their own costs for reflashing. Do you think I could reflash it myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Having an issue on the epg of the FTA satellite channels, getting some listings for certain shows and their descriptions showing as "S/Lge Retro:magic wekeend on This Day:24.05.09......" looking like another show corrupted in to it. So far I've tried manually deleting the epg file and downloading fresh one, when the epg updates same isssue occurs. Saorview channels fine.

Anyone got any ideas?

• Advertisement

I'd love to know how you get on with your repair.

Quick update...just got an email to say they are replacing my box...doesn't say what with!

peking97 wrote: »
    Quick update...just got an email to say they are replacing my box...doesn't say what with!

Not many 3 tuner boxes around so maybe zgemma h7s??:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

You should ask them, that tiviar has gone up in price now, can you remember what you paid for it? I'd say you get a tiviar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭kindalen

Please ignore.

restart th network in box.

• Advertisement

swoofer wrote: »
    You should ask them, that tiviar has gone up in price now, can you remember what you paid for it? I'd say you get a tiviar.

I paid 160 stg but that included an internal 500GB HDD and 16GB USB stick.

That was a great bargain, you should see the price of it now!!

I'd say you get a tiviar.

Correct. New Tiviar recd. this afternoon and working fine, fingers crossed. Only left WoS on Wed midday and recd. here this afternoon! Full marks to DPD.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

Just looking at this tread on the Tiviar box, I currently have a Saorview TV, a Sat connection for Astra 1 via TV and a Freesat Humax recorder box, would this box be my best option instead of my current set-up?
    Ta in advance.

No not instead but as a bonus box as then you have the options of viewing and recordings on same provider sat or saorview at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Hi I have two boxes network which share a harddrive.

All recordings go to Box 1 harddrive and I can watch all recordings on box 2.

Works great most of time.

When I have power cut on box 1 however , it looses the network mount on box 2 and I have to restart box 2.

Has happened quite a lot and getting a bit annoying. I have set the mount manager to remount after 1hr, but for some reason I need to restart box 2 to get it back working regardless of the hour.

Anyone know how to remount automatically without restarting box 2 all the time .

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭GSRNBP

I'm having trouble initializing my internal hard drive on the box. Getting this error:

GSRNBP wrote: »
    I'm having trouble initializing my internal hard drive on the box. Getting this error:

Is this a brand new hdd,have you tried a format and then tried initializing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭GSRNBP

greasepalm wrote: »
    Is this a brand new hdd,have you tried a format and then tried initializing it.
    No, I was having trouble with the box, so re-flashed and now this error when trying to initialize it. I kind of assumed initializing it would re-format it anyway given the warning about losing content - if I need to reformat can I do that from within the box or is it a remove situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭mburke

Is it possible to add Pick HD to bouquets or is there a manual way of adding it?

• Advertisement

Have you the frequency for PICK HD and then I can tell you as I will have to do it. I cant find PIck HD

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

• Registered Users Posts: 81,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

mburke wrote: »
    Is it possible to add Pick HD to bouquets or is there a manual way of adding it?
    Have you the frequency for PICK HD and then I can tell you as I will have to do it. I cant find PIck HD

Best to wait until Wednesday when it launches. Easiest way I find to add a channel is to run an automatic scan so new channels are found, then add it to the bouguets.

Menu->Service Searching->Automatic Scan->(then make sure 28.2 is enabled to search), then click on Scan. Will run for about 20 minutes.

Then when all channels found click on the Fav button on the remote, then red button for All channels, find Pick HD, then press the Menu button and select Add Service to Bouquet and then just choose where you want to add it to and press OK, job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭logonmar

Has anyone else encountered a problem when tuning to Saorview. I select my correct transmitter (Spur Hill, Cork) and do a scan & I get 38 channels both TV & Radio & many blanks
    HOWEVER it is not recognising RTE1!!
    I have RTE2, Virgin etc. but no RTE 1

Any ideas how I might correct matter please?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭robbKer

logonmar wrote: »
    Has anyone else encountered a problem when tuning to Saorview. I select my correct transmitter (Spur Hill, Cork) and do a scan & I get 38 channels both TV & Radio & many blanks
    HOWEVER it is not recognising RTE1!!
    I have RTE2, Virgin etc. but no RTE 1

Any ideas how I might correct matter please?

Sounds to me like your aerial might be slightly off line. Do you have ALL of the virgin channels ie virgin 1, 2 and 3?

RTE 1 and RTE 2 are on different muxes so if you cant get one it usually indicates that the box isn't getting enough signal from that particular mux. Although this is not always a foolproof method of proving this try connecting the aerial direct to the TV and tuning on the TV. Does RTE appear there and does the TV give an indication of signal strength and quality (Rte 1 vs Rte 2)?

I have found that while the TV might tune in fully, the signal strength might not be enough to tune properly on the Tiviar....

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭logonmar

robbKer wrote: »
    Sounds to me like your aerial might be slightly off line. Do you have ALL of the virgin channels ie virgin 1, 2 and 3?

RTE 1 and RTE 2 are on different muxes so if you cant get one it usually indicates that the box isn't getting enough signal from that particular mux. Although this is not always a foolproof method of proving this try connecting the aerial direct to the TV and tuning on the TV. Does RTE appear there and does the TV give an indication of signal strength and quality (Rte 1 vs Rte 2)?

I have found that while the TV might tune in fully, the signal strength might not be enough to tune properly on the Tiviar....

Yes I have all the other channels and I suspect I've changed something on the settings for scanning.

I've searched around to try and find optimum settings for scanning both FTA & Saorview channels on a Tiviar (or any other type of box).
    Can anyone please link me to the ideal settings (incl sub settings) for scanning please

When you scan saorview the channels come in all over the place RTE1 could be right at the end, what kind of signal quality are you getting on DTT with signal finder?

I will be looking at a Tiviar in a little while, what do you mean by sub settings?

And finally I did hear that RTE1 did require an aerial change

There are 2 muxes, 45 and 39 are you using both?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 lev

Hello All,

Firstly thank you all so much for sharing so much information about this box. I have been using the Tiviar Alpha plus for the last couple of weeks and have been able to customize my bouquets and apply to slyk skin to make it act and feel more like the a sky box that the family were used to.

I do have a question regarding the radio bouquet setup. Is it possible to have my bouquet of favorite radio stations appear in the same EPG as my TV stations? It seems very clunky switching to radio and seems to require a few button presses on the remote. I was hoping there might be a more user friendly way to get to the radio stations. Webif seems to have the bouquets completely separate too.

If anyone has come across a solution I'd be very grateful.

Thanks!

Yes you can do that but the tiviar I set up has the radio stations deleted. Have you heard of dreambox edit, that's what I use. You can download it and then create a radio bouquet under tv bouquets and then add your radio channels. And its pretty neat.

I assume you are on windows OS.

Ps what sky skin did you use?

And come back if you need a bit more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

I have set up a "Radio" folder, and can download and move the radio stations in whatever order I like.
    Also EPG available for recording

Advertisement