Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo STB

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭greasepalm

If the tiviar has got a lan connection then you dont need a dongle for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭teach nua

greasepalm wrote: »
    If the tiviar has got a lan connection then you dont need a dongle for it.

Is Lan the same as ethernet connection? If so than yes TA box has Lan.

Are you saying to physically Connect my Internet from my modem to the box ? How would tv in other room be able to access recording on the box?

teach nua wrote: »
    Is Lan the same as ethernet connection? If so than yes TA box has Lan.

Are you saying to physically Connect my Internet from my modem to the box ? How would tv in other room be able to access recording on the box?

Yes most things now come with a lan port and need a cat5 lan cable plugged in to it.If you had another e2 box connected to tv it would be just a matter of setting up network mounts to view recordings from other box.

Might depend on type of tv you have and if it is a smart tv or needing something extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

Info request !

My Tiviar had been running NCM's image based on openATV basically flash and forget!. However the box is constantanly crashing and freezing. This has been happeing for a month or so. I'm wondering is it a failing powersupply as I remember reading about it somewhere.
    The box point blank will not flash from a usb key although it did initially about a year ago. So I can FTP an image over than boot from there. I have tried openvix and the box did not seem to freeze but I have no clue how to set up channels ABM's etc .
    Did anyone else have an issue with power supply ...
    Can some one share a link to a stable image that I can test ...
    any other suggestions gratefully received

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

a clanger wrote: »
    Info request !

My Tiviar had been running NCM's image based on openATV basically flash and forget!. However the box is constantanly crashing and freezing. This has been happeing for a month or so. I'm wondering is it a failing powersupply as I remember reading about it somewhere.
    The box point blank will not flash from a usb key although it did initially about a year ago. So I can FTP an image over than boot from there. I have tried openvix and the box did not seem to freeze but I have no clue how to set up channels ABM's etc .
    Did anyone else have an issue with power supply ...
    Can some one share a link to a stable image that I can test ...
    any other suggestions gratefully received

Thanks in advance

Could timeshift be filling the HDD? Have you tried a reflash?

• Advertisement

I dont have the TA but is possible it could be a power supply but usually its on boot up it happens and wont power on and not flashing.
    Sometimes boxes need a clean install to overcome issues stored.
    Openvix is handy and can setup abm easily is under tuner setup--AutoBouquetsmaker--providers choose your freesat and saorview save and scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭robbKer

I dont have the TA but is possible it could be a power supply but usually its on boot up it happens and wont power on and not flashing.
    Sometimes boxes need a clean install to overcome issues stored.
    Openvix is handy and can setup abm easily is under tuner setup--AutoBouquetsmaker--providers choose your freesat and saorview save and scan.

Totally agree with what is being said here, likely the Power supply has become faulty ultimately causing software issues. A reflash can often time buy you a little time... For whatever reason the PSU's in the Tiviar are prone to issues....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

robbKer wrote: »
    Totally agree with what is being said here, likely the Power supply has become faulty ultimately causing software issues. A reflash can often time buy you a little time... For whatever reason the PSU's in the Tiviar are prone to issues....

Are they? I've only ever read of one poster with an issue? Filling the HDD is the most common issue

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

Thanks for the reply's and information. I'm pretty sure I've timeshift off and the HDD is showing 841Gb free. Think I'm going to try openvix and see if I can get some stability !

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭robbKer

Are they? I've only ever read of one poster with an issue? Filling the HDD is the most common issue

I've repaired 7 of these in the past year, three of them had PSU issues....and two of the three needed to be reflashed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

I'm using the Tiviar with NCM's latest image and all good!

I notice that in OpenWebif if I go into > Extras> Settings> Packages> More> Update from Feeds is available.

Is this something that should be done manually on a regular basis or is it done automatically?

Or perhaps it shouldn't be done at all!!?

Generally if box is working ok and no issues i dont bother with updates and usually i reflash with a clean install every 6 months or so or when needed with a buggy image.Updates come in many forms with maybe 1 or 2 for your box.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭wilsixon

If you're using OpenATV you need to use the "flash local" option: just browse to the location of the USB stick, select the ZIP file with the image (no need to extract the files before copying to the stick) and off you go.

I am using Open ATV. Can anyone direct me to a good image for it?
    Thanks

just got the TA box with 1TB hdd and it is running ATV 6.0. all fta satellite channels are there in list of channels and I can view them. For terrestrial I can see list of the channels in tv guide start stop times and programme info but when I select to view i get a blank black screen....any ideas what i'm doing wrong?

Also i'm running rf out lead from TA box to TV as TV has a DVB-T tuner but RTE1 and some other channels are pixelated/poor quality when I select to view them through the TV's tuner. The remaining channels are fine to watch. any solutions greatly appreciated.

just got the TA box with 1TB hdd and it is running ATV 6.0. all fta satellite channels are there in list of channels and I can view them. For terrestrial I can see list of the channels in tv guide start stop times and programme info but when I select to view i get a blank black screen....any ideas what i'm doing wrong?

6.0 is a very old image there might have been an upgrade to a newer version on the thread.Newer atv is on 6.4 for other boxes.

Tuner location might be wrong area and you do have a good rf input?

Might need to be rescanned for new location if wrong.

Try another lead from box to tv and see if its faulty

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hs5424

Hi Tech nua,
    Problem with your RTE is not the box . Its your signal. Did you manually tune or use auto search. What transmitter are you working off.

HI hs54245

i did no tuning myself auto or manual, everything was there when the box booted up. i'm not sure about transmitter, i'll find that out

having more fun now trying to flash openvix 5.3.039 to the box but not succeeding. should I delete the existing ATV image first or can I flash 'over it?

I downloaded image as instructed on openvix, extracted it and copied folder name as instructed to a formatted 8gb usb (not kingston).

The following is the tutorial from openvix website for flashing:

Flashing the Receiver.
    1)Power off the receiver
    2) Ensure no other USB devices are plugged into the receiver
    3)Insert the USB stick containing the image files into one of usb ports, rear port if possible.
    4) Power the receiver on.
    5) When the receiver powers up you will see a prompt
    6)As soon as you see this press the power button on the front
    7)If successful the receiver will reboot it self after the flashing process has completed.
    8) Remove USB stick that contains the images files.

My box does not come on any differently than when I have no USB in the port. 'Boot' appears and then a countdown or up of numbers, I cant remember which.

What type of prompt should I get at 5 above? and what power button do I press at 6 as unit is already powered on at 4 and the box has no power buttons at the front...is it the power button on the remote that I press?

sorry for long post and so many questions..I am very far down on my enigma learning curve :)

6.0 is a very old image there might have been an upgrade to a newer version on the thread.Newer atv is on 6.4 for other boxes.

Tuner location might be wrong area and you do have a good rf input?

Might need to be rescanned for new location if wrong.

Try another lead from box to tv and see if its faulty

rf input worked fine for TV alone before i set-up box, if location setting is wrong, why would some terrestrial channels come in okay?

hs5424 wrote: »
    Hi Tech nua,
    Problem with your RTE is not the box . Its your signal. Did you manually tune or use auto search. What transmitter are you working off.

transmitter is suir valley 2rn

• Advertisement

Boot screen will change from Atv to Vix if it flashed correctly.
    Sometimes your usb is not seen and you need to try another one for the take to flash and make sure no other usb are plugged in
    Possibly 1-2 seconds after you power up box from the rear you press the front button and you should see some action on front screen.
    Never insert / remove usb sticks while powered on.

Region on my box says kilkenny for your setup is that what yours says?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭whoami1

As I don't have a Zgemma myself so I cannot compare, however when I set them up they both seemed to function the same. With all these things ''time will tell''.
    By the way if anyone has any power supply problems with the Tiviar Alpha + don't bother to try and repair it. Just remove old psu and pop any 12v 5A one inside and hard wire it to the main pcb. It only delivers 12v to the main board so its a simple fix.

Thanks for this. I am having problems with my box, which I don't use much anymore as I replaced it with a H7S. It won't turn on for a long time and then it does a power cycle shortly afterwards. I now believe that it is a PSU problem - perhaps capacitors?

Do you have any more information about the replacement of the PSU?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hs5424

Hi Guys,
    If you are having a problem loading Vix make sure that you first have the proper boot loader installed. If the box did not come supplied with an E2 image then you will need the boot loader. I made this mistake in the past. Some of the suppliers used to charge for the boot loader. If you need it I have a copy and can mail it to you.

whoami1.
    If you are having a problem with your power supply slow to power up just stick something like a 12v 5A on it. If you don't have one just wire a 12V battery that can supply 3 or 4 amps and this will prove if you have a psu problem or not. I checked all the caps on my psu when I had the same problem and all checked out ok in values and ESR. Fitting a 12v PSU cured my problem. Remember to remove original PSU first. You will see many cables connecting the PSU to the main board but if you 'bell' them out there are basically just 2. Most of the cables are in parallel.

Hi Guys,
    If you are having a problem loading Vix make sure that you first have the proper boot loader installed. If the box did not come supplied with an E2 image then you will need the boot loader. I made this mistake in the past. Some of the suppliers used to charge for the boot loader. If you need it I have a copy and can mail it to you.

whoami1.
    If you are having a problem with your power supply slow to power up just stick something like a 12v 5A on it. If you don't have one just wire a 12V battery that can supply 3 or 4 amps and this will prove if you have a psu problem or not. I checked all the caps on my psu when I had the same problem and all checked out ok in values and ESR. Fitting a 12v PSU cured my problem. Remember to remove original PSU first. You will see many cables connecting the PSU to the main board but if you 'bell' them out there are basically just 2. Most of the cables are in parallel.

Is that the Tiviar that needed the bootloader you Mentioned?

Boot screen will change from Atv to Vix if it flashed correctly.
    Sometimes your usb is not seen and you need to try another one for the take to flash and make sure no other usb are plugged in
    Possibly 1-2 seconds after you power up box from the rear you press the front button and you should see some action on front screen.
    Never insert / remove usb sticks while powered on.

Region on my box says kilkenny for your setup is that what yours says?

my Tiviar does not have a power button at the front, not that I can see anyway. the front has a panel that opens at the right where it looks like cards could be inserted but no sign of any power switch...am I missing something?

Hi Guys,

whoami1.

my box already had ATV installed, is this an E2 image?

I noticed in flashing instructions for vix, it said to copy to 'root' of usb. I just copied the image folder from a drive on my pc to the usb stick...should I be doing it another way?

Post 2326 says whole image in zip.Atv is on your box but old version and is an E2 image one of many for your model

Post 11.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057925678

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭andy1249

my Tiviar does not have a power button at the front, not that I can see anyway. the front has a panel that opens at the right where it looks like cards could be inserted but no sign of any power switch...am I missing something?

The two white lights on the front , the smaller one on the left is the power button.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭robinwing

Hi I am on Tiviar box and cannot get RTE 1 on terrestrial ( Kippure) but can get Virgin Media and RTE2. Do I rescan the Tiviar for terrestrial and how do I do that ?. The Tiviar came preloaded I think , it was just plug and play. Anybody who has tips and info would be greatly appreciated

• Advertisement

Normally you set your region in the saorview setup and scan.
    Might be a second MUX the box does not know.

Advertisement