Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo STB

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭swoofer

How did you set it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

Just set up a folder and then moved the radio stations to it. Same as you would with the plus one's / news / etc

• Registered Users Posts: 35 lev

swoofer wrote: »
    Yes you can do that but the tiviar I set up has the radio stations deleted. Have you heard of dreambox edit, that's what I use. You can download it and then create a radio bouquet under tv bouquets and then add your radio channels. And its pretty neat.

I assume you are on windows OS.

Ps what sky skin did you use?

And come back if you need a bit more

Perfect thanks, I downloaded dreambox and was able to move my favorite radio bouquet along side my TV ones and it now shows in the same EPG. Looks like dreambox edit has a lot of functionality that I'll have a play with in the next few days.

For SKY skins I downloaded using the guides here:
    https://www.linuxsat-support.com/gallery/image/31921-slyk-1-hd/

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭spooner_j

Hi all

Been happily using my Tiviar for the last two years but starting to have some issues with it now. Frequently now I see the spinning "loading" icon appear on the screen for a second or so at random times. It happens just while watching TV and the box doesnt seem to be doing anything else.

It's started crashing a bit too, screen gets stuck to the one channel and the remote doesnt respond. I've had to button it at the back and reboot.

This morning after I buttoned it it didnt boot back up first time. Heard a bunch of clicking and whirring noises. After another power cycle it then successfully boot and came back to life.

I'm worried the internal HDD might be on the way out. Is there any way to do a repair on this? I've tried logging in over SSH but there's no disk check tool like fsck installed, and not sure how to install it as apt-get isnt there either. Also not entirely sure how I can check the drive as I think it needs to be dismounted first which might not be possible.

Anyone have hard drive issues with their Tiviar before? Any suggestions for ways to repair or fix it?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

It sounds ominous.
    Can you take out the drive and check it using fsck in the PC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭andy1249

spooner_j wrote: »
    Hi all

Been happily using my Tiviar for the last two years but starting to have some issues with it now. Frequently now I see the spinning "loading" icon appear on the screen for a second or so at random times. It happens just while watching TV and the box doesnt seem to be doing anything else.

It's started crashing a bit too, screen gets stuck to the one channel and the remote doesnt respond. I've had to button it at the back and reboot.

This morning after I buttoned it it didnt boot back up first time. Heard a bunch of clicking and whirring noises. After another power cycle it then successfully boot and came back to life.

I'm worried the internal HDD might be on the way out. Is there any way to do a repair on this? I've tried logging in over SSH but there's no disk check tool like fsck installed, and not sure how to install it as apt-get isnt there either. Also not entirely sure how I can check the drive as I think it needs to be dismounted first which might not be possible.

Anyone have hard drive issues with their Tiviar before? Any suggestions for ways to repair or fix it?

Thanks!

Sounds like the hard drive is dying alright , the only option is to buy another hard drive and replace it , preferably before the existing one dies completely, that way you can copy recordings over before the drive is totally dead.

Make a system backup on a usb
    Get a new drive , you need a laptop type 2.5 inch sata drive.
    Power down and allow to cool.
    Take the lid off the box , unscrew and unplug the old hard drive , replace with new one , then power back up and restore from the image.

Assuming there is some life left in the old hard drive , connect it to a PC and copy your recordings from the movies folder to the same folder on the new box and you are good to go.

It sounds ominous.
    Can you take out the drive and check it using fsck in the PC?

Only have a laptop and I dont have a USB to SATA connector to attach it to the laptop unfortunately... Hence trying to fix it without removing it.
    Sounds like the hard drive is dying alright , the only option is to buy another hard drive and replace it , preferably before the existing one dies completely, that way you can copy recordings over before the drive is totally dead.

Make a system backup on a usb
    Get a new drive , you need a laptop type 2.5 inch sata drive.
    Power down and allow to cool.
    Take the lid off the box , unscrew and unplug the old hard drive , replace with new one , then power back up and restore from the image.

Assuming there is some life left in the old hard drive , connect it to a PC and copy your recordings from the movies folder to the same folder on the new box and you are good to go.
    Yeah at least its not totally dead (yet) so might be best to just bite the bullet and spash out on a new HDD before I'm left with nothing...

Is it possible to just clone the old HDD to a new HDD to avoid rebulding it entirely? Is the OS on the HDD or on separate internal storage?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Only have a laptop and I dont have a USB to SATA connector to attach it to the laptop unfortunately... Hence trying to fix it without removing it.

Maybe you can get some assistance from someone to check the drive in a PC ...... fsck, hdparm etc .... and even clone it at the same time.
    I think it should be changed asap else you could lose all stored data.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Is it possible to just clone the old HDD to a new HDD to avoid rebulding it entirely? Is the OS on the HDD or on separate internal storage?
    If the box and your laptop are on your home network it should be possible to access the HDD through your laptop file manager and copy the contents that way. You might need to use "filezilla" a free FTP utility to access the box.
    The box OS is stored on internal flash memory. Once you have saved the contents of the HDD that you want to keep, movies, backups etc. Swap out the old HDD. Boot up the box with new HDD. "Initialise" the new HDD using the box software. Then restore the contents you want from your laptop.

If the box and your laptop are on your home network it should be possible to access the HDD through your laptop file manager and copy the contents that way. You might need to use "filezilla" a free FTP utility to access the box.
    The box OS is stored on internal flash memory. Once you have saved the contents of the HDD that you want to keep, movies, backups etc. Swap out the old HDD. Boot up the box with new HDD. "Initialise" the new HDD using the box software. Then restore the contents you want from your laptop.

Ah great that sounds grand, means I dont have to re-setup the entire box from scratch. Just a few old recordings to backup and restore so, can grab them over the network first and then go from there.

Thanks for the help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Ah great that sounds grand, means I dont have to re-setup the entire box from scratch. Just a few old recordings to backup and restore so, can grab them over the network first and then go from there.

Thanks for the help!
    It's no harm to run the backup utility on the box first and save the backup files off the HDD before doing anything else. You can NEVER have enough backups

Im setting up another box here , all is fine except whatever way Ive set it up Channel 4 HD and CNN HD are not showing up in the channel lists , what have I done wrong folks ?

I have them on my first box !

Thanks

You can copy channel list from first box using dreambox edit. Or look at autobouquets setup in first box. Or you can scan in manually.

I think Ive got it ,
    in ABM providers , I didn't have Sky UK enabled.
    I did that , and now they show up in my openwebif bouquet editor to be added to my favourites.

Funny though , that is not enabled on my first box , but Ive still got those channels.

Hi all

Thanks!

So this issue is unfortunately getting worse...

I had thought it might be the internal HDD but I did manage to remove this and hook it to another machine and everything came back clean. No filesystem errors, no bad blocks, SMART passed...

Sometimes when I power it on nothing happens. Some clicks and whirrs and then nothing. Maybe after 4 or 5 power cycles it then boots up and works away for a while, then gets stuck.

When it gets stuck I can continue to watch the channel I'm on but everything else stops working. No remote, EPG, no web interface. Hard reboot needed.

Tried updating the image today but no better. I'm on the latest OpenATV 6.4 I think it is.

Anyone else using the very latest builds? Anyone with similar issues ever? Bit confused as to what it might be. Rather not have to buy a brand new box...

Did you try the box with the hdd disconnected? Is it under guarantee? 6.4 is very new but it may bring new problems best to sort out the first one. Try with no hdd and do you have a backup of previous image.

There was a similar case on here and box was reaalced by WOS under guarantee.

Did you try the box with the hdd disconnected? Is it under guarantee? 6.4 is very new but it may bring new problems bes to sort out the first one. Try with no hdd and do you have a backup of previous image.

There was a similar case on here and box was reaalced by WOS under guarantee.

Maybe, it was bought July 2018 so if the warranty is 2 years I might just be in time.

Didn't try boot it without the HDD, will try that and see.

I was thinking of trying OpenVix and flashing that to see if it works any better. If it crashes too then I'd be fairly sure it's hardware at fault

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Paul2019

spooner, I had a similar (but maybe not exactly the same) problem in the early days with my new Tiviar.

When switching on, it began to stick on the same channel and not respond to anything. Buttoning it at the back would sometimes fix it. Another problem at the same time was the EPG would only partially update so some of the channels were blank in the EPG. I had the remote programmed to switch on the TV and the Tiviar but sometimes one or other or both would respond to the on/off button.

Anyway, long story short, as a last desperate resort I changed the batteries in the (still new) remote and the whole problem was immediately fixed.

My Tiviar is now about 6 months old and I couldn't be happier with it - not to mention the €40 a month sub that no longer goes to Virgin Media :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Hi All,

I’ve lost Sky News on my Alpha Plus HD box, only that channel, does anyone know how I get it back?

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Hi All,

I’ve lost Sky News on my Alpha Plus HD box, only that channel, does anyone know how I get it back?

TIA

• Advertisement

You can tune it back in using signal finder and then add it back to bouquet. Use these

dvb-s
    12070H
    QPSK
    5/6.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭logonmar

I have one programme among those I recorded on Tiviar box that just won't delete for me. I can select to delete it but when I confirm selection it disappears for a second & then reappears.
    No problem deleting other programmes

Has anyone else encountered this issue & if so did you manage to delete the problem recording?

logonmar wrote: »
    I have one programme among those I recorded on Tiviar box that just won't delete for me. I can select to delete it but when I confirm selection it disappears for a second & then reappears.

Has anyone else encountered this issue & if so did you manage to delete the problem recording?

I have attached a screenshot of the folder contents for recordings as viewed over the network.
    There are five or six files associated with each recording , one of these support files is what keeps flagging the recording back from deletion, highlight them all and delete , this will get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭logonmar

andy1249 wrote: »
    I have attached a screenshot of the folder contents for recordings as viewed over the network.
    There are five or six files associated with each recording , one of these support files is what keeps flagging the recording back from deletion, highlight them all and delete , this will get rid of it.

Thanks Andy however I can't find the page as shown on your image.

When I go to Networks I get the screen as per this attachment and can't find a path to the types of files you show

You need to use FTP and what this means you access the file structure in your box via the network. A lot of people use filezilla and its free. If you use windows I prefer WINSCP. You need to get the ip address of your box so go network and write it down. on the screen you has a pic go to device setup and click ok. then click adapter settings.

have you got filezilla?

I have the tiviar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭NewClareman

logonmar wrote: »

You can view the program using windows explorer, just find the Tiviar under network. You should be able to delete it there. You can also do the same using iPadOS.

Another option is to install the Filebrowser plugin, this allows you to delete programs using the remote.

If you're not experienced with managing files you need to be careful that you only delete the unwanted Program, and not any other files that could impact the boxes operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭wilsixon

Can anyone help by giving a link to a usb stick that will work for flashing an image? Or is there another way to do it?
    I have tried 2 different ones (SanDisk and verbatim) and both fail (it boots into existing image).

Thanks

Have you tried the usb slot in the front and have you checked the files are correct on the usb stick?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭wilsixon

Have you tried the usb slot in the front and have you checked the files are correct on the usb stick?

Yes, tried front slot.

Files are correct as far as I know - unzipped onto desktop and copied the whole tiviaraplus folder to fat32 usb stick

• Advertisement

I forgot to ask is this a new box or does it have an enigma 2 image already on it?

Advertisement