Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo STB

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,421 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Thanks Finally figured out, looking there I see people add saorview and uk channels to favourites folder to have the one EPG how is this done?

I do not have the option to create folder in auto bouquets folder.

Thanks.

You'd have to do this after the fact. There is a setting (I think) in abm where you can tell it to either keep or remove other bouquets when it runs. Make sure it's set to keep them. Then you can use the remote, or webif, or a few tools to create a favourite bouquet with combination you like. https://echannelizer.com/ is an example...

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Chrizfitz

Loving this. Cancelled sky today.

I have the privilege of being able to set this up in the shed and test it/let it run and recordings build up.

After some ups and downs I got there thanks to all the posts here and I hope to add a few bits myself once I have it installed in the comms press.

My question is about IR, I have 2 edison hdmi modulators in the press, currently one for sky and one for a chromecast. I am replacing sky with the alpha+ box. From my understanding I may install a rf modulator with IR to take the IR from the magic eyes, I have a trilink lying around I can use.

Where in the alpha+ box is the IR receiver?
    Is this the best way in your option for my setup?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

Looks like my Tiviar has developed a PSU fault.
    Intermittently showing "Booting.." then a blank screen then back to "Booting..." again.
    Don't suppose anyone would have a schematic diagram for the PSU board?
    It's MODEL FSP-7356 Rev1.0.
    Any ideas, suggestions welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Post 1789
    Mr Ink in Clondalkin should be able to repair it, very reasonably priced
    post 1791 also

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭logonmar

I have one recorded programme that won't delete for me.

I press the Red button on remote and am asked if I want to delete

I then select 'Yes' option

The programme flickers as if moving it to trascan but it then reappears

Any suggestions?

All other programmes continue to delete normally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭crisco10

Chrizfitz wrote: »
    Loving this. Cancelled sky today.

I have the privilege of being able to set this up in the shed and test it/let it run and recordings build up.

After some ups and downs I got there thanks to all the posts here and I hope to add a few bits myself once I have it installed in the comms press.

My question is about IR, I have 2 edison hdmi modulators in the press, currently one for sky and one for a chromecast. I am replacing sky with the alpha+ box. From my understanding I may install a rf modulator with IR to take the IR from the magic eyes, I have a trilink lying around I can use.

Where in the alpha+ box is the IR receiver?
    Is this the best way in your option for my setup?

Thanks in advance

Am thinking of taking the same leap as yourself, what is the best resource for a setup guide or similar?

And just to clarify;
    1) do you connect it to the old Sky satellite?
    2) I'm 3 km from local mast for saorview, so assume I will get away with internal ariel?
    3) Can I do series link or similar?

I'm sure there are answers in this thread, but a lot of page to scroll through.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

1. Won't work with Sky Q but you can change the LNB.

2. Shouldn't be a problem. I'm 10k from Truskmore and it works with an aerial on the floor.

3. Yes.

sligojoek wrote: »
    1. Won't work with Sky Q but you can change the LNB.

2. Shouldn't be a problem. I'm 10k from Truskmore and it works with an aerial on the floor.

3. Yes.

Thanks - I have old fashioned Sky+ so shouldn't need to change the LNB.

Tempted to crack on, but just need to find a "dummy's guide to setup" or similar so I know what to do to when the box arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Most of what you need to know is in the first few pages. If you're any way tech savvy you'll manage it. I was dubious myself at the start but it's the best move I ever made. Plenty of people on here are fantastic with help.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Most of what you need to know is in the first few pages. If you're any way tech savvy you'll manage it. I was dubious myself at the start but it's the best move I ever made. Plenty of people on here are fantastic with help.

Thanks - I'll be back with a few silly questions I assume. Won't cancel the Sky just yet....lol

• Advertisement

Can anyone confirm that there is a two year warranty on the Tiviar?
    Bought from WOS Sept. 2018.

Most boxes from Wos say 2 year warranty,what is wrong with it?

Just in case if people were not aware many channels can only be got from a sky subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

greasepalm wrote: »
    Just in case if people were not aware many channels can only be got from a sky subscription.

One of these days I must find out how many, and of those how many I would watch ..... from a basic subscription.
    Not including extras such as sport, movies etc etc.

It might be an interesting exercise to see what I would be paying for.

I do like lists :D

I grew up with ones like sky 1,sky atlantic, fox and loads of others which were great at the beginning but got worse in quality.
    You might have that list done by friday.

Most boxes from Wos say 2 year warranty,what is wrong with it?

Box will not power-up. Mostly it's completely dead but at random times it appears to start the power-up cycle but then fails after a few seconds and dead again!

Have you another power supply to check with.Is there a hdd fitted or usb inserted?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Rpdana

Hi,
    new here and new to satellite. I have the Tiviar Alpha+ with OpenATV version 6.0.
    I've connected ethernet and looked at updating the software but got a message warning me that 'there is a risk that Tiviar will not boot after online update...a new flash will increase the stability....an online update is done at your own risk'

What are the benefits of updating the software and what's the recommended approach?
    Thanks

That is a very old image as Atv is on 6.4 now.Think on the first few posts is a newer image version that super ceded 6.0.It might have to be a new flash by usb but others using Atv will guide you.

Have you another power supply to check with.Is there a hdd fitted or usb inserted?

If only I had another power supply!!
    Yes HDD fitted by WoS and no USB inserted but the good news is that WoS have authorized an RMA number so presumably it's still under warranty although I will have to cover the cost of return to them.

• Advertisement

peking97 wrote: »
    If only I had another power supply!!
    Yes HDD fitted by WoS and no USB inserted but the good news is that WoS have authorized an RMA number so presumably it's still under warranty although I will have to cover the cost of return to them.

Yes i have had to do that once or twice,remove batteries from remote if using an post

• Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭swoofer

There are no benefits updating the software an if box is working ok leave well alone. In fact if it is working good have you done a backup just in case? Are you sure its 6.0? Mine is 6.1 and thats 2 years ago. Its the THBB image with a great skin.

@peking have you tried box with the hdd disconnected? Has it been running hot ie not well ventilated? What image are you using and skin? Have you tried pushing the power cord at the back in a bit tighter? In fact try a different power cord.

swoofer

@swoofer and @greasepalm Thanks for getting back to me on that.

Yes, I'm sure it is 6.0 I checked last night via the information panel.The box is also about 2 years old, I never really used it much until recently, more time on my hands due to current circumstances.

I was curious to see if I could get some internet content such as Netflix or stream some fils using it as I don't have a smart TV.
    If there is no benefit to updating the software why so much discussion on here about updating?
    What do I need to do a backup?
    The terminology is new to me and while I've search online for references to the box most of the search results lead me to this or other forums.
    What do you mean by THBB with a great skin? Also what do you mean by a new flash with USB?
    As I say totally new to satellite but do have a reasonable level of IT skills.

Yes I checked back and 6.0 is 2017. I don't know where you bought it but it may have come with 6.0 preloaded. I have time on my hands as well. You wont get netflix on it and one of the reasons for updating you may get a few newer apps. IPTV has taken a lot of the fun out of these boxes and you can use it for iptv but that's another story.

The latest version of openatv is 6.4 and it is still in beta form , also they have taken it upon themselves to lock it until you create a new password. So dont use it, best is 6.3 but read on.

These boxes are tricky so a few on here have been good enough to create a custom image and give support. In fact you are in the right thread. Go back to the beginning and you will see the poster THHB the image I am using is in post number 32. If you follow the guide you will have a good box and openatv 6.1. Then if you look under software management you will see a facility to do a backup and will have the option to back up to hdd or usb. Choose USB but it has to be formatted to fat 32 first.

You will need to know how to FTP to the box and mention is made of filezilla which is free but WNSCP is better and I hope you are using windows.

However, these boxes are tricky so you should do a backup before you start, with VERSION 6.0 I don't know what is under software management but it should give you a backup facility.

To update box to version 6.3 you download it in zip format and then unzip to a usb BUT make sure no other files are on usb and its fat 32. When box is updating you should get the message " do you wish to restore settings?, and can say yes BUT you will already have done a backup to the hdd and that will have the settings, if you have not done a backup I don't know what will happen as I have back up ingrained in my brain. These boxes are fussy with usb sticks so its best to have a few. sandisk is good.

The image I am using was created by THHB so its now referred to as the THHB image and its ace, 2 years and not a peep. Read this thread a it has all the answers and I will be just repeating myself If you are still totally flummoxed post back and say what you have on box, ie hdd, name of skin, 2 feeds from sat plus saorview, connected to internet. Its like anything easy when you know how.

swoofer wrote: »
    @peking have you tried box with the hdd disconnected? Has it been running hot ie not well ventilated? What image are you using and skin? Have you tried pushing the power cord at the back in a bit tighter? In fact try a different power cord.
    swoofer
    No didn't disconnect the HDD as I didn't want to open it as RMA authorized by WoS and in fact it's on it's way back via Parcel Motel at the moment.
    It wasn't running hot. Using NCM's latest image 6.3 and whatever skin that includes. I had tried a different power cord to no avail.

Fingers crossed WoS will sort it!

Yes I checked back and 6.0 is 2017. I don't know where you bought it but it may have come with 6.0 preloaded. I have time on my hands as well. You wont get netflix on it and one of the reasons for updating you may get a few newer apps. IPTV has taken a lot of the fun out of these boxes and you can use it for iptv but that's another story.

The latest version of openatv is 6.4 and it is still in beta form , also they have taken it upon themselves to lock it until you create a new password. So dont use it, best is 6.3 but read on.

These boxes are tricky so a few on here have been good enough to create a custom image and give support. In fact you are in the right thread. Go back to the beginning and you will see the poster THHB the image I am using is in post number 32. If you follow the guide you will have a good box and openatv 6.1. Then if you look under software management you will see a facility to do a backup and will have the option to back up to hdd or usb. Choose USB but it has to be formatted to fat 32 first.

You will need to know how to FTP to the box and mention is made of filezilla which is free but WNSCP is better and I hope you are using windows.

However, these boxes are tricky so you should do a backup before you start, with VERSION 6.0 I don't know what is under software management but it should give you a backup facility.

To update box to version 6.3 you download it in zip format and then unzip to a usb BUT make sure no other files are on usb and its fat 32. When box is updating you should get the message " do you wish to restore settings?, and can say yes BUT you will already have done a backup to the hdd and that will have the settings, if you have not done a backup I don't know what will happen as I have back up ingrained in my brain. These boxes are fussy with usb sticks so its best to have a few. sandisk is good.

The image I am using was created by THHB so its now referred to as the THHB image and its ace, 2 years and not a peep. Read this thread a it has all the answers and I will be just repeating myself If you are still totally flummoxed post back and say what you have on box, ie hdd, name of skin, 2 feeds from sat plus saorview, connected to internet. Its like anything easy when you know how.
    Brilliant, thanks. Will review

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭GSRNBP

I think I have kind of a silly question. My box came with a world of satellite usb stick - 4 files: crossepg, media, movie, time****.

I have a HDD installed, can I use this USB stick to reflash my box or does this need to stay plugged in?

Second question as it has been a few years since I followed this guide last:
    Re: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106783394

How do I use that backup? Do I follow the instructions to flash with OpenViX and then transfer the backup files to the HDD by putty?

Its best to leave usb plugged in, it saves the HDD spinning up too often.

Where did you get the mention of openvix? Thats a totally different image. Ahh I see now re vix, no, that;s just a written guide, its done by the vix people but applies to all images. Its telling you how to flash an image any image to the box.

You download the backup, unzip it to a usb stick, not the one already in use,, that has been formatted to fat 32 and then follow the guide.

You dont need to use putty and I dont know where you are getting that idea from.

Now this is important what image have you on the box already? go to menu, information, you may have a Vix image.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭GSRNBP

Its best to leave usb plugged in, it saves the HDD spinning up too often.

Where did you get the mention of openvix? Thats a totally different image. Ahh I see now re vix, no, that;s just a written guide, its done by the vix people but applies to all images. Its telling you how to flash an image any image to the box.

You download the backup, unzip it to a usb stick, not the one already in use,, that has been formatted to fat 32 and then follow the guide.

You dont need to use putty and I dont know where you are getting that idea from.

Now this is important what image have you on the box already? go to menu, information, you may have a Vix image.
    I have Open ATV 6.1, do I need to update to a newer version before flashing the backup linked? I tried just doing the backup and once it rebooted it is stuck on -00-

• Advertisement

6.1 is the backup and that works fine. Power on from the back and it should restart.

Advertisement