Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Development Royal Canal Park D15

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Chumpski wrote: »
    Firstly, thanks for the info. I actually have more questions now but I’m typing on my phone right now so I’ll wait till tomorrow to make them coherent.

For now though... Would it be possible to run a cable to facilitate an EV charger from the front door to the utility room along the same path as those cablewatch cables? Probably impossible I know but just checking if there is a way before the electrician mounts cables through walls next week for us.

Where is your fuse board?
    Have you a floor plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭nordstrom

Manion wrote: »
    This is what worried me about the gigabit internet. Thinking about it over the weekend there is probably no way they can run the fiber into the utility since fibre doesn't take to bending and twisting. I'll need to look if I can reuse the cable that runs from the hall to the utility. This could be a pain in the head.

That’s a fair point. There was a video posted before about what the engineers do when they come to your house. Don’t know much about fibre cables but yeah they might not be too bendy. There’s always a way, but it would be nice to use the pipes that are already there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Manion

Chumpski wrote: »
    Firstly, thanks for the info. I actually have more questions now but I’m typing on my phone right now so I’ll wait till tomorrow to make them coherent.

For now though... Would it be possible to run a cable to facilitate an EV charger from the front door to the utility room along the same path as those cablewatch cables? Probably impossible I know but just checking if there is a way before the electrician mounts cables through walls next week for us.

I previously spoke to an electrician about the ideal set up for a heron style house, he indicated he would install a mini fuse board just after the meter and take the power from there to avoid the need to run a power cable back to the house. Now I never got this done, so I wonder how feasible it would have been, but it sounds better than running cables.

nordstrom wrote: »
    That’s a fair point. There was a video posted before about what the engineers do when they come to your house. Don’t know much about fibre cables but yeah they might not be too bendy. There’s always a way, but it would be nice to use the pipes that are already there.

Yeah, the thing is I recall looking at the house when they where built, there wasn't any ducting inside the house, they just ran the cables up around, and through.

Gumbo wrote: »
    Where is your fuse board?
    Have you a floor plan?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VDQ680l7KlMCUtZ3OPv243LeB8Nj4wlz/view?usp=sharing

The meter is in the porch right by the front door but the fuse board is in the utility room.

• Advertisement

Yeah, the thing is I recall looking at the house when they where built, there wasn't any ducting inside the house, they just ran the cables up around, and through.

Ok, then that’s a problem. Unless you could tie the fibre to the existing wires and pull it through, which sounds a bit wishful thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bdub

OK, so an update around FTTH and unfortunately it's not good news.

I had the OpenEir technicians over today and they would have been able to run the fibre into the distribution box outside the door, but from there, there is no duct going into the house, just the standard phone line. That line does not go through a duct, instead it is embedded in insulation and fixed to the wall/studs. No way to pull fibre through that.
    So they offered to run the fibre line outside the wall and drill into the living room and pull the fibre through that. This is the line they suggested: 5UxY0r8.jpg

I declined this, as it would look messy and drilling through the outside wall would negatively affect the insulation as well. So, just have to call Eir again and get back on a VDSL contract.

Does anyone have any idea about how to get the fibre installed without being a visible mess? Or run a duct from here to the inside of the house: W9sJasM.jpg

Thanks for the information, I should have realised I would have the same issue.

c9IdDFhm.jpg

This is what my fuse box looks like which is just above it. I wonder if I can get the ONT installed in there?

PVEPp4Lm.jpg

The issue seems to be running this wire back into the house to the ONT which needs power. I feel it should have been possible for the engineer to get the cable into the little box just inside the front door. I'll see if there is a way to run ducting towards it.

<Not a picture from my house, an image I found online for a SIRO installation>
    gi9JK00l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 47 andreionut

bdub wrote: »
    OK, so an update around FTTH and unfortunately it's not good news.

I declined this, as it would look messy and drilling through the outside wall would negatively affect the insulation as well. So, just have to call Eir again and get back on a VDSL contract.

Does anyone have any idea about how to get the fibre installed without being a visible mess?

Sorry to hear about this. A friend installed Siro at his house and it was tricky to decide on a way to install. Once it's installed all is good. I would not worry about the hole affecting the insulation, it's a tiny hole and I think you can put some caulk on it to stop any draft.

I have an idea about the installation. What if they drill a hole into the side window frame by the door, terminate the fibre in the hallway close to the empty faceplate that will have a CAT5 cable that goes into the Utility room. Install the modem there, terminate that cable and plug it in the modem and use a switch in the utility room.

andreionut wrote: »

I have an idea about the installation. What if they drill a hole into the side window frame by the door, terminate the fibre in the hallway close to the empty faceplate that will have a CAT5 cable that goes into the Utility room. Install the modem there, terminate that cable and plug it in the modem and use a switch in the utility room.

The problem for me is mostly that I don't want a cable coming out of the white boxes outside the door.

I'm currently thinking of opening the inside wall in the living room to get access to the cablebox and run a duct. This would be the same way the current phone line comes into the house. Should have been done when the house was build, but hindsight is 20/20. The only downside really is cost, but currently seems to be the only "invisible" option.

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear about this. A friend installed Siro at his house and it was tricky to decide on a way to install. Once it's installed all is good. I would not worry about the hole affecting the insulation, it's a tiny hole and I think you can put some caulk on it to stop any draft.

Because we have timber frame houses we need to be conscious of membrane. We've less tolerance for moisture than a traditional house. I've seen a neighbors with silicone seals around wires coming into the house. I'd be keeping an eye of this. I've also been thinking about your idea and I wonder if it wouldn't be better to bring the cable through the wooden frame into the hall. It would seem a neater job all together.
    The problem for me is mostly that I don't want a cable coming out of the white boxes outside the door.

I'm currently thinking of opening the inside wall in the living room to get access to the cablebox and run a duct. This would be the same way the current phone line comes into the house. Should have been done when the house was build, but hindsight is 20/20. The only downside really is cost, but currently seems to be the only "invisible" option.

I'm also thinking about that, minus the opening up the wall bit. I've contacted an electrical to call out to see what my options might be.

I've started a thread here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058128866 asking about just putting in my own optic cable and fuk this ducting bull****.

Btw: That cable from the NTU to the ONT is limited to 1 meter.

notes:
    https://www.openeir.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/NGA-IPM-V17_0-Unmarked-30042020.pdf

https://fibrerollout.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Ducting-Guidelines.pdf

https://fibrerollout.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/FTTH-Day-of-Installation.pdf

https://www.openeir.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/NGA-Technical-Handbook-V21.0-010717.pdf

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057871133&page=452

I'm also thinking about that, minus the opening up the wall bit. I've contacted an electrical to call out to see what my options might be.

I think it will be tough without direct access through the wall in the living room. Behind the white box, there is a moisture barrier and also multiple studs in the walls through which a duct/fibre would have to go through.

So I think a hole in the drywall in the living room would be ideal to access the back of the box in which the duct from the street arrives. From the hole in the wall you could either run the fibre cable (or a duct) into the wall in the hallway or alternatively into the living room. If I do the latter, I'll move the ethernet socket from the hallway to the living room too, that's easy, as it's just from one side of the wall. And from there use the existing cable in the wall to the utility room where my network stuff is.

Could you keep us updated once you got some advice from the electrician?

Will do.

It's hard to know what the right choice is but I suspect that going through the back of the utility box into the sitting room and switching around the ethernet panel will work out the cleanest if I can get it done especially as there is already a break in the membrane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Will do.

It's hard to know what the right choice is but I suspect that going through the back of the utility box into the sitting room and switching around the ethernet panel will work out the cleanest if I can get it done especially as there is already a break in the membrane.

I'd imagine once we have it working there may be a group deal for the work that could be negotiated as many houses will have the exact same problem to solve.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cwdix

I think it will be tough without direct access through the wall in the living room. Behind the white box, there is a moisture barrier and also multiple studs in the walls through which a duct/fibre would have to go through.

So I think a hole in the drywall in the living room would be ideal to access the back of the box in which the duct from the street arrives. From the hole in the wall you could either run the fibre cable (or a duct) into the wall in the hallway or alternatively into the living room. If I do the latter, I'll move the ethernet socket from the hallway to the living room too, that's easy, as it's just from one side of the wall. And from there use the existing cable in the wall to the utility room where my network stuff is.

Could you keep us updated once you got some advice from the electrician?

I'm currently booked with Vodafone for installing FTTH, but from reading doesn't seem that straight forward. Would KN engineers do this type of work? Or this custom setup would have to be ready ahead of time and done by an electrician?

By the way, does anyone know if the fiber cable plugs directly onto the modem/router or will there be an "exchange box" from fiber to copper?

Some of the documents I linked to outline what they will and wont do on site. They'll happily drill a hole in your wall as part of the installation, but they tend to refuse to do much internally. They'll take the easiest path which might not be something you as the home owner are happy with.

Regarding your other question, this is as far as I know what it will look like (though it's not OpenEir, it's Siro). The external fibre cable is terminated in the box to the right which afaik is called a Interior Wall Socket and then a short optical cable brings it into the ONT which has both an optical and Ethernet connection (copper).

<not my house>
    jHoEWIzl.jpg

cwdix wrote: »
    I'm currently booked with Vodafone for installing FTTH, but from reading doesn't seem that straight forward. Would KN engineers do this type of work? Or this custom setup would have to be ready ahead of time and done by an electrician?

By the way, does anyone know if the fiber cable plugs directly onto the modem/router or will there be an "exchange box" from fiber to copper?

The KN engineers would do basic install works, like drilling a hole etc., but they wouldn't do any more complex stuff, like opening the drywall to get internal access and running the cable inside the wall.

The fibre runs from the street through the External Termination Unit (ETU, the white box outside our doors). From there to a Network Termination Unit (NTU). The NTU is a small box that will be installed at the point where the fibre strand leaves the wall or wherever it egresses into the house. Neither the ETU nor the NTU need power. The NTU then connects to the Optical Network Terminal (ONT) via fibre cable. The ONT is another small box that "translates" the optical signal into an electrical one. The ONT needs power! Eir says the fibre cable between the NTU and ONT can have a max length of 1m, but I'm not 100% if that is an actual technical limitation or just bc Eir doesn't provide a cable >1m. From the ONT there is a normal ethernet cable (cat5e or better if you want GB speeds) to your router.

Diagram:

s3k5jaP.jpg

Right, the KN engineer is coming tomorrow, which is well a head of when my electrician can get in. I'm going to talk to the technician about the different options but my preference would be through the wooden panels beside the front door an up. I can then reuse the existing Cat5e cable to the utility.

Thanks Manion, bdub for the detailed info.
    Could be a stupid suggestion, but instead of trying to route the fiber cable to the inside of the house, why not pull a power cable (assume 12V) and have the ONT on the outdoor white boxes? Then there's a ethernet cable directly to the utility room. One issue could be humidity, which could be mitigated with a waterproof outdoor box (https://www.screwfix.ie/p/ip54-weatherproof-outdoor-box-kit/455hh). Unless the ONT box generates too much heat.

That would be very handy, you'd just need to run the power cable back to the ETU. I don't think they'll go for it though, the installation manual indicate the ONT needs to be installed inside the property. KN being a subcontractor, I doubt they have much flexibility regarding innovative solutions. I doubt there is anything more than 2-3 watts coming off the ONT it would probably be fine in the ETU utility box.

• Advertisement

After KN engineer Installation:

He drilled a hole out into the utility box and ran the cable from the street, up into the ETU, through the wall and into the back of the NTU. The ONT (from vodafone) is a little changed and looks to be a proper router.

3qlbznal.png

dY5nnpAl.png

I did ask about going through the doorframe and he said it is strictly forbidden. I was worried about drilling a hole through the wall and out but in the end I think it at least looks very good. No exposed cables.

My next step will be the rewire the RJ11 phone port in the hall to a RJ45 port and reuse the Cat5e cable to bring the internet back to the utility room for distribution throughout the house. I'll post some photos of that as well.

Picture from the utility pox towards the house
    3iW01Trl.png

This is where you can see the membrane mentioned previously. The darker mesh is very light steal. I'm not super happy with the finish in the utility box as he seems to have made it very handy on himself with a very large hole in the box. This issue would be mice gaining access. I'll need to do some fixing it.

Thanks for the pictures. This is a good solution. Is the ONT wall mountable?

Finished tidying up the:

<Vodafone Wifi Router>
    aD8RAecl.jpg

<Fiber NTU and ONT>
    n4pvPQXl.png

<utility room>
    9gaOM6Xl.png

<What I did>
    Step 1: I pulled out the phone box in the hall. You'll notice there is actually 3 cables here, all cat5e (the e is important). One wire runs back into the alarm panel which is basically for telephone alarm systems.

I separated the cables and I fitted a new RJ45 Face plate with two ports onto either cable. Bit fiddly but grand.

sQ4o3iXl.png

Step 2: In the utility room I dismantled the VDSL telephone box, and fitted a new RJ45 Faceplate on it. I then ran a cable from that ethernet socket into a switch I already had on the wall for supplying Ethernet to each room.

ODzWOBel.png

wbgAg8ol.png

And for what you all are really waiting for, the speed test. I've consistently found that I get around 860Mbps to 910Mbps. It's important to note that when my home network is under test, it appears to max out at about the 920Mbps. As such I think this is probably fair enough. The real test will be sustained traffic from multiple sources in the house.

@bdub I think you where 100% correct to tell the engineer to get on his bike. The more I think about it, bringing the cable into the sitting room just generates massive unnecessary work.

yOaWdLnl.png

Thanks for the pictures. This is a good solution. Is the ONT wall mountable?

Yes, there are two screw mounts and it goes flush to the wall. It's also a proper router with 4 lan ports and a 10 Gigabit port. Personally I'm wondering about the value of the vodafone grey router currently. It would have been better to have a one box solution. I now effectively have a Modem Router (ONT) to a Router to a switch to another router in my office. I also really really dislike that the grey router is a remotely managed router and that vodafone staff can gain access at any time and see traffic on my internal network. I had a technical issue once and it freaked me out when they started asking about machines I've connected for work.

Thanks @Manion. Looks pretty neat! I will suggest the same when I get the engineer visit.

Thanks Manion for the pictures and description, very comprehensive. Looks like that’s the way to do it.

... I now effectively have a Modem Router (ONT) to a Router to a switch to another router in my office. I also really really dislike that the grey router is a remotely managed router and that vodafone staff can gain access at any time and see traffic on my internal network. I had a technical issue once and it freaked me out when they started asking about machines I've connected for work.

That’s interesting, thanks for letting us know. I normally switch the ISPs router to a modem mode and use my own router. That grey box is useless form me then.
    Is there any reason you don’t move it in the utility room?
    You need to be mindful now of the devices and cables you use to be at least 1Gb. Some routers have a 100Mbps WAN/internet port, but you can just use them as a switch.

There is nothing stopping me but wifi towards the front of the house is a slightly better set up for me since I've another router towards the back on the first floor. Though I am contemplating simply removing it and going direct from the ONT to the the switch. I'll have to think about how to setup subnets.

To anyone reading this thinking it is all a bit too much, don't worry. If you don't want to mess about with doing network rewiring I'd suggest powerline networking. https://www.laptopsdirect.ie/-plp1000-100uks/version.asp. I personally prefer to make use of the cable that is available but not everyone has the time and knowledge.

...Though I am contemplating simply removing it and going direct from the ONT to the the switch. I'll have to think about how to setup subnets. ...

If the ONT gives you a private IP that should work. You can use the existing router as a switch and possibly a WiFi extender or Access Point by mainly disabling DHCP. I can't vouch for how well it works but if you setup both routers with the same network (name, channel, password) your devices should just connect to the closest. You might have problems while you move devices from one place to another but a simple disable/enable wifi should connect to the closest.

• Advertisement

Tbh, I think it will be one for the Christmas period for me to figure out. At the moment I'm happy everything works.

Advertisement