Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Development Royal Canal Park D15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Manion

Thanks, I'll have a look now.

Fyi as I know a few folks here are looking at EVs or have got EVs. We made the decision to switch to a Day/Night meter. I was hesitant as I didn't want someone ripping out the existing meter and replacing it only for it to be ripped out again in a few years with a smart meter but it turns out our meters are Day/Night capable, they just set up for 24 tariffs currently. Setting it up for Day/Night was a 5 minute job by the ESBN engineer that called, no hassle, no power cut.

Just an update, we got secondary glazing installed in the master bedroom and it's made a massive different to the noise level. On my phone I measure a 10db reduction at the the window between having the glazing open or closed. You'll still hear something like a train horn penetrate but it brings the ambient noise level down significantly. I no longer hear buses or most cars on the road. I'm having the deepest sleeps I've had in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 EvoEvo

Hi Everyone,

Do you have any information about Meridian Court ? is it a nice place to live?

I really can't find any information about it. Thank you .)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 dovetail

Hello All, I see that Eir Fibre installation was discussed in good detail in November 2020. However, I'm only getting upgrade now. Open Eir / KN came to the house to do the installation recently. They said that they would need to drill a hole through the wall from outside to inside the house, piercing through the membrane. But they said that they need our authorization to that because they said once the membrane is pierced, the energy rating A would be lost. Has this been mentioned to any body else? on this basis, we instructed them to not proceed with the instalation and allow us time for further research.

Also, their policy is not to drill holes through the timber door/window frames,which apparently could have been an alternative solution to keep the A rating intact. If I had have been at the house myself at the time, I could have drilled a hole through the timber window frame myself. Not sure how neat it would look. Did anybody else pre-drill a hole through the window frame by the front door in advance of Open Eir / KN doing the installation?

They are trying to arrange the 2nd appointment with me complete the installation, so I need to make the decision on whether to proceed, or to stick to the internet service that I already have. :)

Thanks in advance for any advise or tips.

Post edited by dovetail on

• Advertisement

I've never heard of that, you could contact seai https://www.seai.ie/home-energy/building-energy-rating-ber the membrane is important, from a moisture protection perspective but the house has loads of vents. I'd guess however they want to drill from an external brick in? I got them to drill into the cavity from the inside hallway out and then coat hanger the cable through so no additional brick work and the membrane is just penetrated into a cavity it was already penetrated to for the phone, tv and power.

Did they actually agree to install through a window/ door frame? That was going to be my other option, to put it through the panel at the side of the front door but the KN chap said no way, the expansion and contraction of wood can cause failures. If I was in your position, and assuming you are handy, I'd drill out myself into the cavity by the front door, put some ducting through to the lower utility box, drimmle or otherwise create a slot in the box. Then when KM chap comes just tell him to use the ducting already in place to bring it into the hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 dovetail

They initially wanted to drill from the external brickwork into the living room. I didn't want this. They didnt agree to drill through the timber door / window frame either - they said they were not permitted to do this by Eir. They could have offered to do as they did for you (drill into the cavity from the inside hallway out to the lower utility box), maybe they seen it as too much work. I could give it a go myself or get carpenter family member is willing to help drill the hole so everything is prepared for them in advance. Would you be able to suggest the diameter size of ducting please? And I can get myself organised :)

So that's the cable, it's maybe 6mm in diameter. So a 10 mm ducting would be fine I recon. I'd run the ducting in from the utility box.

They put it in the cavity for me as I think I was one of the first to get it in the development. A week later they had started to refuse people. Getting it installed in the sitting room is useless for getting the connection back to the utility and the rest of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 pgav19

Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked before but I'm having issues with the shower in the en-suite of a Heron. Basically, I can't adjust the temperature. The water is always just a little too hot and I can't make it colder by turning the temperature handle.

From research, this looks like an issue with the Thermostat Diverter Cartridge which either needs to be cleaned or replaced. I think I know how this can be done (remove handles, remove face plate, unscrew diverter cap, pull out diverter cartridge, rinse/soak/descale/replace as necessary, put it all back together).

My question is how to isolate the water supply to the shower before I start doing this work? Is there a valve somewhere? I can't seem to find it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I had the same issue. Didn't think of cleaning the diverter, I just set the hot water temperature a couple degrees lower. You can isolation the water in the hot press, there should be to valves, one hot, one cold going into the massive tank.

• Advertisement

Can I ask does anyone know of any body other than Smart Heating certified to service the Joule heat pump? Been trying for months to get through to them but no Joy.

How did you set the hot water temperature lower?

I think you must have a different set up to me. Our tank is in the attic...there's only one isolation valve to it. When I turn that, there still is hot water flowing in the shower.

Pictures of your setup? Ours is a herron style house.

Thanks!

Yes, ours is a Heron too. I've added a few pictures below.

Shower System with face plate removed:

"Hot Press" Area

Tank

Isolator Valve on tank

Your set up seems be completely different to ours. The hot and cold valves are as shown there.

Do you have a heat pump? The water tank valve isnt the right one, that's the inflow.

Yes, we have a Daikin rather than a joule. The unit is in the utility room with the set up of pipes coming from it looking like this:

So some combination of those 3 red leavers are what you need to turn to shut off the water into the ensuite. Not sure which tbh, trial and error might tell you.

Can I ask, was your property one of the first or more recent. Ours was 2016. I know they switched to Samsung heat pumps at one stage, wasn't aware they used Daikin.

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

We were the last phase. Bought in 2019

Just an fyi for those interested, we recently had an issue with our thermostats whereby even with the programmer unit in the utility showed they should be coming on, they where not. It was kinda random when this would happen. We had the folks out to look at the heating system and they mentioned there was a known issue with the EPH programmers used on the estate, a dodgy batch or something as they are normally reliable enough.

Anyway, I bought a "smart" replacement https://www.ephcontrols.com/section/ember-ps-2-zone-systems/ and fitted it myself handy enough. You don't strictly need the full fit, but the programmer a lone will get you back a couple hundred.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bullet93

Recently moved in to RCP in Cassian Court South. My god the noise in the mornings from Delivery vans at centra is crazy. Just wondering does anyone have any solutions to this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 EvoEvo

Hi eveyone, I might have the possibility about moving to The Chandler Building in Ashtown, but haven't been able to find any up-to-date information on it.

Any advice or personal experience ?

I have noticed that the apartment building is very close to the ashtown train station, it would be very noisy ?

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Has anybody considered installing Solar Panels? Would they be practical with the heating system in the houses?

Hi I looked into it. Solar for hot water heating is in general something people aren't doing anymore. There are lots of complications with it and maintainance issues. Solar for power generation on the other hand is very feasible as long as the roof is not north facing. On the herrons you have enough space to install a massive array, up to 8Kw when I did the measurements, which would basically take you off the grid nearly totally.

The power to hot water converters apparently are not cost effective for most people, let alone homes with a heat pump. You'd be better sinking any excess power into a battery and using that to power the heat pump as opposed to trying to heat water directly.

What makes you feel the houses might be unsuitable? Ultimately we didn't get it done as our roof is north facing but almost any other aspect is worth while. If you've a South facing garden that isn't over looked it's extremely worth while.

Anyone else having a problem with their heat pump compressor going ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

So I was posting in here a long while back about my brothers house and the issues getting the network patching connected. Basically we could not find the cables in the utility room where some of you told me they should be. Anyway, it turns out they had put a back box in (badly) with a blank plate but never actually pulled the cables through - the brother got brave one day, pulled out the back box and the chunk of plaster that was protruding in front of it, stuck his arm in and went rooting....found them.

So I'm over from the UK today with nothing to do so I pop in to put some ends on and get the LAN working. Phase 1, ends on with little fuss. Phase 2, test the run from the router at front door into the utility - note, this the only run that I have "terminated" both ends of link. Anyway, this link works fine.

Then the fun. I test the living room port to utility - only one led on tester. I test the back room port to utility - only one led on tester. "Is my cabling that bad???" Off to check how the faceplates are patched...I should have taken pics...every single eth face plate in the house only had the blue pair connected. Not only that but the faceplate only have room for 6 cables so you can't actually patch the 4 pairs of the cable, so gig eth is not actually possible, wtf?! Not much change from half a mil for a house with this codology!

Now I'm no cabler, I deal more with firewalls, switches and all that good stuff so the above looks completely foreign to me.

Anybody else had similar?

Anyway, 7 proper faceplates purchased and hopefully will arrive in time for my return visit next week.

The face plates that come with the house are for telephone no? I'd say there is an issue with your wiring, especially if you're trying to get this working with the supplied faceplates.

There's no issue getting gigabit ethernet working with the cables supplies normally.

The cables are fine, it's the faceplates that won't work for 1gig as the 4 pair can't be connected. Anyway, not a major issue, just surprised and would expect better

Not sure why you'd expect different. In the book that came with the house they are clearly identified as telephone connection. Lucky they used cat5e cable tbh, they could have just run single twisted pair and been within spec for what they sold your brother. Ethernet won't work at all with those plates regardless of speed. In earlier phases there was an option to pay for cat6 with proper Ethernet faceplates.

Thanks for the info. I've not seen the book and not aware the spec was just for single pair - which I'm very surprised about in this day and age (or even 2-3 years ago), how many houses will ever connect a phone???? Anyway, storm in a teacup and we'll have it all sorted next week.

• Advertisement

Yeah it was a bit out dated at the time. Struck me as meeting some regulation, maybe even a UK one as most of the specing seemed lifted from there. Same with the lamp plugs in the sitting room. We viewed a fair few new build houses at the time all them seemed to have phone lines to every room. The mother in law's is just a single unshielded twisted pair, half them don't work after 10 years.

Advertisement