Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Development Royal Canal Park D15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bdub

Manion wrote: »
    After KN engineer Installation:

He drilled a hole out into the utility box and ran the cable from the street, up into the ETU, through the wall and into the back of the NTU. The ONT (from vodafone) is a little changed and looks to be a proper router.

Oh nice, look's clean! I'm about to open the wall in the living room to run the duct, wish me luck ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I was following the conversation about installing fibre to home and some of the chat was helpful. I found some details tricky to follow so I made a note on the picture of the ESB external board. Basically my question is, does anything thing it is ever possible to get the ONT installed where I drew the black square? I fyou could do the prep work yourself, etc before hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Manion

You would need power and space for both the ONT and NTU. I doubt they will install those components there as they are meant to be installed in the premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bdub

I was following the conversation about installing fibre to home and some of the chat was helpful. I found some details tricky to follow so I made a note on the picture of the ESB external board. Basically my question is, does anything thing it is ever possible to get the ONT installed where I drew the black square? I fyou could do the prep work yourself, etc before hand?

ONT needs power and I doubt the KN guys would be willing to install it there anyway, as it's against their guidelines. And the fibre cable between the ONT and NTU cannot exceed 1m.

Yesterday I ran a pulling wire from the "inside house"-opening in that pic into my living room. I had to open some of the wall, but it went pretty smoothly. The KN engineers will come again on Friday, let's hope this time there wont be any obstacles. Once the fibre is in the living room, I'll move the RJ45 socket from the hallway into the living room (easy, just on the other side of the wall) and from there into the utility room. I want as little cable as possible in the hallway and in the living room I can tuck away everything behind the couch.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Anybody know if the outer front wall (that is not brick but looks like concrete I guess) can be drilled through? I had an electrician in who was wary of doing it as he thought it might be insulated wall.

He was wondering if it was spray on (which would be ok to drill through) or a no go area?

• Advertisement

How did it go bdub?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 andreionut

I had an engineer yesterday to instal fibre and I had some issues that I want to share with people.
    The installation went great. He got the ONT in the house like for Manion, but left room for the ONT. See attachment.

He didn't provider a router so I went to link it up. This is when the trouble started and I was left without internet for a few hours (mostly because Eir tech support line is very busy on the weekend).
    Long story short, if you are with Eir, use the existing modem and connect the ONT (10Gb port) to the Router's WAN port. I tried two other routers and they won't get an IP. The Eir one, I have an old F2000, worked and is has 1Gb ports for Wan and LAN.

Unfortunately I couldn't get a fast speed test (the top was 356.04 Mbit/s) so. it's either my setup or some limiting somewhere as my Fibre account featured as 'Not active' in My Eir account. The problem was with my router's custom firmware. I reset it to the manufacturer's one and put the Eir modem in Bridge mode and I can see 920Mbps speed tests.

Nice and clean. Weird they didn't give you the router. For Vodafone they gave me the same router I already had so I ended up with two. I'm personally would never go with Eir because they are the same company they have always been.

Chumpski wrote: »
    Anybody know if the outer front wall (that is not brick but looks like concrete I guess) can be drilled through? I had an electrician in who was wary of doing it as he thought it might be insulated wall.

He was wondering if it was spray on (which would be ok to drill through) or a no go area?

Anybody an idea on this? Electrician coming again in a few days.

I'm unsure what part of the house you're referencing but I would contact the builder ballymore if you have questions about the construction of the property, they have been very responsive even this many years later. Not sure what the issue is though.

• Advertisement

I'm unsure what part of the house you're referencing but I would contact the builder ballymore if you have questions about the construction of the property, they have been very responsive even this many years later. Not sure what the issue is though.

Ok, I mean our front door areas, they are not brick but some other material.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 andreionut

Chumpski wrote: »
    Ok, I mean our front door areas, they are not brick but some other material.

Do you mean the door frame? It's supposed to be wood.
    If it's for the fibre installation show the electrician the photos from Manion or me. The installer drilled from the hallway to the box (he had to get a longer drill bit half way through).

These photos might help.

ZBvSfBHh.jpg

sv7Riwoh.jpg

These photos might help.

ZBvSfBHh.jpg

sv7Riwoh.jpg

No I mean the 3 beds, not the doorframe, but the concrete or plaster I guess. Not sure what the material is or can it be drilled through.

Sorry I see the 4 beds in that picture actually are brick around the doorframe. The 3 beds are not.

andreionut wrote: »
    I had an engineer yesterday to instal fibre and I had some issues that I want to share with people.
    The installation went great. He got the ONT in the house like for Manion, but left room for the ONT. See attachment.

He didn't provider a router so I went to link it up. This is when the trouble started and I was left without internet for a few hours (mostly because Eir tech support line is very busy on the weekend).
    Long story short, if you are with Eir, use the existing modem and connect the ONT (10Gb port) to the Router's WAN port. I tried two other routers and they won't get an IP. The Eir one, I have an old F2000, worked and is has 1Gb ports for Wan and LAN.

Unfortunately I couldn't get a fast speed test (the top was 356.04 Mbit/s) so. it's either my setup or some limiting somewhere as my Fibre account featured as 'Not active' in My Eir account. The problem was with my router's custom firmware. I reset it to the manufacturer's one and put the Eir modem in Bridge mode and I can see 920Mbps speed tests.

The ONTs create a wall wart and this causes algae build up on the monocouche render finish. I came across one person who got the installers to have fibre running from the ESB box fished down to through to the telecom boxes and then down to ground level with the cable terminating on the brickwork round the corner. The benefit of this approach is that the cable is only present on a few inches of render.

BTW lads, any non-brick finish should not have patio slabs or cement right up to it (like here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115171669&postcount=3548). There would a gap of a few inches with gravel. Otherwise the monocouche render might get saturated and green. This is worst on the north sides. You will see it plenty on estates from a few years ago.

The ONTs create a wall wart and this causes algae build up on the monocouche render finish. I came across one person who got the installers to have fibre running from the ESB box fished down to through to the telecom boxes and then down to ground level with the cable terminating on the brickwork round the corner. The benefit of this approach is that the cable is only present on a few inches of render.

BTW lads, any non-brick finish should not have patio slabs or cement right up to it (like here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115171669&postcount=3548). There would a gap of a few inches with gravel. Otherwise the monocouche render might get saturated and green. This is worst on the north sides. You will see it plenty on estates from a few years ago.

Thank you, I never wondered what the render was called. Though I'm not too sure you're correct with regards to our specific properties. See photo below where the cable is coming through the utility box, behind the porch blocks and render. No cable on the render, no hole through the render either.

dY5nnpAl.png

Could you explain a little more about what you mean by the slabs saturating the render?

Thank you, I never what the render was called. Though I'm not too sure you're correct with regards to our specific properties. See photo below where the cable is coming through the utility box, behind the porch blocks and render. No cable on the render, no hole through the render either.

Could you explain a little more about what you mean by the slabs saturating the render?

I am referring to a light, porous render. That is monocouche. There is a plasterised version too. Or you could have a painted finish but the greening can happen on any of these three types. Your house might be fine but when you have concrete or patio finish going right up to the wall the render might not be able to dry out after rain and can stain green. In the example photo the corner is already stained. I have this problem on a west facing wall. A small perimeter French drain filled with attractive gravel is a very common, cheap and attractive preventative solution to this because it allows the wall until well below the damp proof course to dry.

Ah OK. There is an issue with green building up on some of the house on the brick but so far non of the render. The photos don't show it well but it's not a concrete slab but rather Permeable Paving cobble stone very like this. So I guess it wouldn't be as much an issue. But thanks for reminding me, I need to get mine cleaned.

ccb1e86276f00da50997bfdcb869e6a2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34 johnny66179

andreionut wrote: »

A KN engineer came to do a FTTH install at our place today, he didn't want to follow the method outlined by Manion though, he was worried he would hit the electricity mains or some other electric wires.

He wanted to run a extenal cable around the corner and go in via the external wall into the sitting room.

I told him not to bother, don't want an external cable and if I get it into the living room I will have to install another RJ45 socket to bring an ethernet connection back to the switch in the utility room.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Seems like he wanted a lazy man's load, I'm not sure how it helps you to have the connection in the sitting room, seems like a completely unsuitable setup for our homes that renders the internal Cat5e ethernet completely unusable.

• Advertisement

A KN engineer came to do a FTTH install at our place today, he didn't want to follow the method outlined by Manion though, he was worried he would hit the electricity mains or some other electric wires.

He wanted to run a extenal cable around the corner and go in via the external wall into the sitting room.

I told him not to bother, don't want an external cable and if I get it into the living room I will have to install another RJ45 socket to bring an ethernet connection back to the switch in the utility room.

Yes , similar here this week.

What’s the right way to do it? How do we install fibre and connect it with our houses?

EDIT: ah I see, read through previous posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭nordstrom

Hi, the KN engineer came to us this morning. He wanted to do the same and run the cable externally to the corner of the kitchen/sitting room to avoid the mains. Another issue is the ONT box needs a power supply and if we brought the cable into the hall on the same side as the external white box then there no power there on that side. We’re willow type house I think. Anyway after some discussion we settled on running the cable below the door along a drain and then up the wall a little bit and through a drilled hole into the hall on the other side of the door. There’s power sockets on this side and also a blank box with cat5e cables (one possibly two) which run to the utility room.

So the ONT box is there right beside the door, and right now the modem is there too but once I have the cat5e connected from ONT to utility room I can move the modem there. The engineer also said it’s not necessary to use the Vodafone modem at all and I can just connect up my own one I already have, but I need to check that out.

The engineer wouldn’t do the cat5e work for me, so I’m going to try it myself and if I mess it up I’ll have to get an electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 1dav

Hi all.

How much do you pay for service of the heat pump and what does the service include?

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭janeybaby

Hi all,

We are looking to do something with the wardrobe in the master (Heron), as we feel the space could be better used and the space above it. Just looking to see has anyone done anything is the way of same? If so, would it be possible to find out the supplier you used and maybe to see their work?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6 glebm

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy an apartment in Royal Canal Park. It seems like a quiet and safe neighbourhood.
    Could someone please share their experience living there?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

glebm wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm looking to buy an apartment in Royal Canal Park. It seems like a quiet and safe neighbourhood.
    Could someone please share their experience living there?

Thanks

I own a house not an apartment in the area since 2017 and would definitely recommend the area highly. Couldn't really think of any negatives. Might be a victim of it's own success in that it becomes high density, but so far haven't seen any negatives and only positives in terms of new infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 glebm

Thanks for the information !

We've been here since 2016, It's a very nice place to live currently. A lot of the character of the area has yet to fully develop though and we'll see significant change over the next few years as more apartment blocks go in.

It's worth noting that there is an issue with the non-payment of management fees in the apartment blocks with the corresponding non-provision of services from the management company. You may find the common areas are not super well maintained.

Hey, we have not received a request for management fee payment for 2021. Has anyone else received on? The last notification we got was that the payment request was delayed due to the delayed AGM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Hey, we have not received a request for management fee payment for 2021. Has anyone else received on? The last notification we got was that the payment request was delayed due to the delayed AGM.

Same here. I was guessing it was just delayed due to the AGM delay.

Advertisement