Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Development Royal Canal Park D15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

So after a helpful PM from another board member it seems that this is the toilet pan and seat:

https://www.mylifebathrooms.com/product/kai-btw-toilet-pan-soft-close-seat/

Now to see if I can either find it cheaper or use the specs to reliably pick something that will fit well.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Could anybody please let me know who the managing AGENTS are for WATERMINT COURT and if they know the current service charge for the two beds there. Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    Could anybody please let me know who the managing AGENTS are for WATERMINT COURT and if they know the current service charge for the two beds there. Many thanks.

Watermint Court is part of the Royal Canal Park management company. Email info@rcpkingfisher.ie and they will answer your questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 1dav

Hi Manion.
    We bought one from Amazon:
    Brand: Cosondo
    Toilet Seat D Shape White Soft Close Duroplast Antibacterial Easy Install Fittings and Hinges, Quick Release for Easy Clean Toilet Seats Removable Lid Dual Fixing Loo Seat.

By the way Mylifebathroms are able to provide replacement for broken/leaking shower valve if somebody needs one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

1dav wrote: »
    Hi Manion.
    We bought one from Amazon:
    Brand: Cosondo
    Toilet Seat D Shape White Soft Close Duroplast Antibacterial Easy Install Fittings and Hinges, Quick Release for Easy Clean Toilet Seats Removable Lid Dual Fixing Loo Seat.

By the way Mylifebathroms are able to provide replacement for broken/leaking shower valve if somebody needs one.

What info do you need to give to Mylifebathroms to get the replacement? I believe there are two different types of shower valve, one that controls temperature and one that controls the rate of flow of water.

• Advertisement

Hi cronos.
    In our case it was on/off single outlet valve as there was water constantly dripping from it.
    I took a picture of the part and emailed their service department.
    It was the top one in our case.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 johnny66179

1dav wrote: »
    Hi cronos.
    In our case it was on/off single outlet valve as there was water constantly dripping from it.
    I took a picture of the part and emailed their service department.
    It was the top one in our case.

Hi, did you replace the value yourself or did you get a plumber to do it?

Hi, did you replace the value yourself or did you get a plumber to do it?

I did it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bdub

Hi all,

are there any news regarding available internet service providers in the RCP area? I'm currently with Eir and get about 80mbit down & 20mbit up, which is ok-ish, but every month I'm hitting the 1TB fair usage limit, which is hidden in the contract fine print, despite Eir advertising the contract as unlimited.

I just checked the Eir website and apparently 1GB is available in the area. Anyone using this yet? I can't find the contract details and don't see if this also has the 1Tb limit? Any other options? SIRO is not yet available in our area AFAIK and I have no experience with Vodafone or other ISPs. Any provider without fair usage limit out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Manion

bdub wrote: »
    Hi all,

are there any news regarding available internet service providers in the RCP area? I'm currently with Eir and get about 80mbit down & 20mbit up, which is ok-ish, but every month I'm hitting the 1TB fair usage limit, which is hidden in the contract fine print, despite Eir advertising the contract as unlimited.

I just checked the Eir website and apparently 1GB is available in the area. Anyone using this yet? I can't find the contract details and don't see if this also has the 1Tb limit? Any other options? SIRO is not yet available in our area AFAIK and I have no experience with Vodafone or other ISPs. Any provider without fair usage limit out there?

Hi,

I'm pretty certain that 1GB is not available in Royal canal park. Perhaps in the Rathbourne development. We're not allowed make any recommendations on this forum but I would suggest you google Eir, you'll find your experience with them quiet typical.

In terms of alternatives, all the other ISPs offering VDSL are reselling the Eir service via OpenEir. As such the fundamentals are the same, its in areas such as customer service, monthly costs, bundling and T&C that ISPs differentiate their offering. Bonkers.ie is a good utility comparison site but there are others. If you already have a TV subscription you might find a bundled package is best for you.

The other option is Cablewatch, they have the exclusive agreement to provide cable internet in the ballymore part of the development. The technology they use is essentially the same as Virgin media (though note I did not say the same quality of service). There are always rumors about Virgin Media etc but I think this is just confusion as Virgin media has the exclusive agreement for the castletorn part of the development. On some streets virgin media operates on one side while cable watch operates on the others. It's something I've wonder if we can get changed as some point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Gumbo wrote: »
    There is no feed in tarrif for excess electricity generation in Ireland. So the PV panels would need a battery to make use of the stored excess.

Friend in Poland is mad into solar PV, has them all over his house. Only problem in Poland is that the system recognizes any excess he creates and charges him as if he is using that power. Mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭nordstrom

bdub wrote: »
    Hi all,

A Vodafone rep was going door to door in RCP a couple of weeks ago, he said fibre to the home is now available in our area. Plugged my Eircode into the Vodafone website and it does say it’s available to my address. Called Vodafone today and got two different answers depending on which system they look it up on, but they’re supposed to be calling me back tomorrow with a definitive answer so I’ll report back. I’m on the basic broadband with Vodafone, we would be heavy users, especially the last few months, we never hit any usage limit.

nordstrom wrote: »
    A Vodafone rep was going door to door in RCP a couple of weeks ago, he said fibre to the home is now available in our area. Plugged my Eircode into the Vodafone website and it does say it’s available to my address. Called Vodafone today and got two different answers depending on which system they look it up on, but they’re supposed to be calling me back tomorrow with a definitive answer so I’ll report back. I’m on the basic broadband with Vodafone, we would be heavy users, especially the last few months, we never hit any usage limit.

If you can post your street and a speed test after if successful that would be great. Perhaps what you are paying per month and how much the deal will be after would also be super helpful. Thank you.

nordstrom wrote: »

That's awesome. I just went onto vodafone now and it says I can get up to 1Gbps for 40 euro a month. Do I dare live the dream?

Signed up for the 1000mbps package. As I was an existing customer it I couldn't get the 40 euro a month deal but got 45 euro a month plus 50 euro installation charge. Apparently this was a 25 euro discount at the cost is 70 euro a month after 12 months.

All in all very happy with this. This must be their own service as I don't see it available from other providers, also it seems not all parts of the estate are covered yet.

Manion wrote: »
    Signed up for the 1000mbps package. As I was an existing customer it I couldn't get the 40 euro a month deal but got 45 euro a month plus 50 euro installation charge. Apparently this was a 25 euro discount at the cost is 70 euro a month after 12 months.

All in all very happy with this. This must be their own service as I don't see it available from other providers, also it seems not all parts of the estate are covered yet.

What street are you on may I ask? Curious to hear what your actual speeds are after installation. I'm curious what installation they actually have to do. What were you paying before per month. It's good news though for sure.

I'm on the royal canal with a lovely view of our new train station. I was paying 40 euro a month before for 100/20 mbps which if I'm honest was usually up around 80-90 mbps.

Currently we have FTTC with VDSL to the house. FTTH would bring a fiber cable all the way into the house and for me I'll be insisting it goes all the way to the utility room. I found this video from openEir. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wPOp5nSVDo

Fyi, I did my own speed test of my internal in home LAN and found an average max throughput of 917 Mbits/sec. Obviously the value comes from being able to have multiple activities and I have had connection issues when there has been gaming or other activities happening while on video calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 andreionut

This must be their own service as I don't see it available from other providers, also it seems not all parts of the estate are covered yet.

Vodafone uses the Eir network for some plans so my guess this is the Eir network. I see Eir have 1000Mb plans available for us.

Siro is a join venture between ESB and Vodafone and they don't have fibre available for us.

OK, quick update. I confirmed with Eir that FTTH is available (I'm on Phelan Avenue) and went ahead and booked. Price is €54.98 per month (incl. eir Vision TV) for the 1Gb line under a 24 month contract. They offer 150 and 500Mbit as well, but due to a current promotion, the 1GB line is the same price (might not work for existing customers, I don't know. I was an eir customer, but our contract has expired already). The line is fully unlimited, so no hidden fair usage policy.

The next step is to ring KN Networks on Monday to get an installation date. They need to run the fibre strand through the (hopefully) unblocked duct into the house. I hope I can get this egress in the utility room as that's where my router is.

TBH, this all sounds to good to be true, I'm fully expecting something to go wrong, but fingers crossed. I'll post speedtest results once (and if), the line is live.

• Advertisement

andreionut wrote: »
    Vodafone uses the Eir network for some plans so my guess this is the Eir network. I see Eir have 1000Mb plans available for us.

Siro is a join venture between ESB and Vodafone and they don't have fibre available for us.

Yep, I got the confirmation email later today indicating it's provided through OpenEir.

dbud: At €54.98 per mont and a 24 month contract, that seems like not a great deal compared to others. I guess you where already locked in?

Yep, I got the confirmation email later today indicating it's provided through OpenEir.

dbud: At €54.98 per mont and a 24 month contract, that seems like not a great deal compared to others. I guess you where already locked in?

The Vodafone offering is 40€ for 12 months, but then jumps to 70/month, while the eir one is 55/month for 2 years + contains the TV package. There might be cheaper providers, but I have also our mobiles etc. with them, so it was a lazy comfort pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Hello,

Would anybody, who has installed a charger for an EV in our homes be able to share details of if and how you managed to do it neatly? Could you possibly PM me pictures or details of how you ran the cables from the fuse box to the outer walls? Thanks!

Good to hear others are getting positive responses on fibre to the home. For some reason my Eircode isn’t matching my address on Vodafone’s system but once they get that sorted I’m hopeful I can get it too. I’ve been happy with their service so leaning towards sticking with them over Eir. For those who have put in an order let us know how it goes.

I’m Phelan Ave by the way.

Hi,

Does anybody know what intended use case is of these 3 boxes?

From utility room. Maybe network cabling?
    IMG_2509.jpg

Higher box outside front door. 1 cable it looks like?
    IMG_2530.jpg

Lower box outside front door. a few coloured cables?
    IMG_2532.jpg

(I realise these won't solve my EV charger problem I posted about above, just wondering what they are as I don't have any details from the house sale about them).

Thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Utility Room - Looks like network cable, does is have multiple smaller wires inside the black outer casing?

Higher Box - TV / Cable TV maybe

Lower Box - Telephone Cable

Chumpski wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anybody know what intended use case is of these 3 boxes?

From utility room. Maybe network cabling?
    IMG_2509.jpg

Higher box outside front door. 1 cable it looks like?
    IMG_2530.jpg

There are the Coax tv cables. The one at the front is where it comes into the house and the box in the utility room is where the connection points in each of the rooms comes back. If you where to sign up for Cablewatch who have the exclusive rights to the ducting coming into the house it would connect in the cabinet at the front of the house.
    Chumpski wrote: »
    Lower box outside front door. a few coloured cables?
    IMG_2532.jpg

(I realise these won't solve my EV charger problem I posted about above, just wondering what they are as I don't have any details from the house sale about them).

Thanks.

It looks like both ends of the white cable are in the cabinet. Seems 4 pairs of twisted wires which suggest Cat 5e cable. If I recall correctly this was just a bit of left over cable they used to help run the telephone line in from the cabinet.

Manion has it right. If you were allowed to have a satellite dish you could run cables to that box in the utility room, either through the box at the front door or by running your own cables from the outside, then distribute it to other rooms in the house through that box. If you wanted it to more than 2 rooms you might need to install some kind of a box there which multiplies out the signal, can’t remember the name, I looked into it a couple of years ago.

The other one brings internet into the house. If it’s the same as ours it connects to a box in the hall which is also connected to another box in the utility room. You could have your router in the hall if all you were using was WiFi, but if you want to run Ethernet to other rooms then you’ll need to have your router in the utility room, there’s a box there which is connected to outlet in each of the living rooms and bedrooms.

This is what worried me about the gigabit internet. Thinking about it over the weekend there is probably no way they can run the fiber into the utility since fibre doesn't take to bending and twisting. I'll need to look if I can reuse the cable that runs from the hall to the utility. This could be a pain in the head.

• Advertisement

Firstly, thanks for the info. I actually have more questions now but I’m typing on my phone right now so I’ll wait till tomorrow to make them coherent.

For now though... Would it be possible to run a cable to facilitate an EV charger from the front door to the utility room along the same path as those cablewatch cables? Probably impossible I know but just checking if there is a way before the electrician mounts cables through walls next week for us.

Advertisement