Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teenage Darndale Gang

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Feral parents having feral kids and the cycle goes on and on ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,811 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Valresnick wrote: »
    We should not ignore the online influence over all our children at the moment. Pop on to Netflix, crime, drugs, gangs everywhere add into the mix violent computer games, toxic alpha male role models on social media, gore and violence all over the internet, gangsta rap etc. There is a lot more at play here than just poverty. There are also gangs from middle class areas that would take your head off if you said anything to them. We’ve always had gangs coming into Raheny and St Anne’s Park but none displaying the violence and destruction of these new types. Poverty and parenting are still huge factors but the change in the levels of violence I believe is heavily influenced by the factors above. We have to start paying attention to the content consumed by our youth. When I was young I couldn’t even get an over 18s video from xtra vision. Nowadays the Wild West of the internet provides all types of violence to whoever wants to see it from all ages. Unless we regulate these platforms and soon, things are going to get much worse.

Multiple studies have discounted the role of video games with a theme of violence contributing to violent behavior in people and or society.

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2020/jul/22/playing-video-games-doesnt-lead-to-violent-behaviour-study-shows

There has been violence on TV, in our cinemas since way back when too.

The only difference is... back then, if say I committed a violent act, I’d get the blame... now we blame Hollywood or Rockstar Games...the fact I left somebody without consciousness and their wallet...isn’t my fault anymore... blame video games and cinema !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Feral parents having feral kids and the cycle goes on and on ....

we can talk about it till we're blue in the face, talk about building playgrounds or putting a lidl near some flats or extending the luas.

At the end of the day we need to do one thing and we'll have this problem sorted in 40 years.

Stop people on welfare having kids. We obviously can't sterilise them for I'm sure numerous legal reasons and a bad PR image , but we should be doing everything to actively discourage them.

Valresnick wrote: »
    Not blaming just saying it has an influence alongside bad parenting and poverty. Tell me this, do you think young kids accessing violence and seeing it daily at their fingertips has no influence on how much violence they can carry out on another person ? I don’t remember gangs when I was a kid in the 80s / 90s knifing people over bicycles, beating innocent people with metal poles to within an inch of their life, or firebombing houses of citizens who get in their way. Maybe I lived a sheltered life and this has always been the way ?

Ok so you might have me on the computer games point but perhaps because that’s not reality it might have a lesser influence then say a video of a cartel beheading.

I agree, life seems more violent now.

Why ? Fück knows... my ‘guess’ is because the law, in its ability to protect people , convict criminals, lock criminals away for a suitable time in order to protect society and issue a deterrent to others... simply isn’t there...

My own view is we need more prison spaces so the law is more of a deterrent firstly... secondly when people are sentenced that an appropriate sentence gets applied...

I’m for under these conditions slashing the number of suspended sentences... for violent or aggravated type crimes, remove the ability of judges to suspend sentences altogether. Judges seem to be a hearty part of the problem.

I have a row with somebody outside a nightclub over whatever, I loose the rag, punch them...ok, I’m on camera, plead guilty, convicted....10 days in prison...

You get a taste, don’t want to go back for 60 days ? Behave.

A big cost as regards addition of prison spaces, but it's a good investment if it keeps people safe, protected, businesses too.

We want to remain of the ability (post covid obviously) to attract visitors, tourists and work/businesses/jobs.... the direction this country was going in... I’d be doubting us a bit...

The whole "Forgotten poor" thing gets on my tits bigly.

My parents got a mortgage not long before I was born. Then they moved. Then mam gave up work to raise me (and the next 2). Then dad got injured in work. He was on the sick for a while. He got the same weekly payment as a bunch of the parents of the other kids in my primary school. My parents however didn't get social housing or rent supplement, they had to pay a mortgage out of that money. I was never hungry as a kid I was never cold. My mother taught me to read and write and do maths before I started primary school and same with my sisters. They taught me right and wrong. They made sure I stayed in school. From an early age I wasn't dazzled by someone's designer runners, I knew they weren't people to aspire to be.

Finally dad got some money from his injury. They renovated the house and paid off the mortgage. A few years later he started his own business. Things went well for a while and then he was ill. They'd remortgaged the house to get the business going. So once again they were in receipt of the same money as someone who never worked a day in their lives but they had to service a mortgage rather than pay 12 quid a week for a house.

Despite for large parts of my childhood (and afterwards) being worse off than many of the people I went to school with I managed to finish school, get more than 1 Level 8 (and on my way to a Level 9) and my sister graduated with results in a course that makes everyone say "Wow".

I know from experience and growing up around a ****hole area that more money isn't going to make these situations better. We were worse off than most (even the ones who complained loudest) and yet I've never had a run-in with the Gardai and have gotten well-educated. And my parents came from ridiculously poor backgrounds, both of them. At times my dad's childhood sounds more like serfs in the 1400s. :pac: But at the end of the day they both had a similar attitude; sit down, shut up, behave, listen, ask questions, don't get in trouble, be good. Simple stuff.
    I see cousins on Facebook who haven't worked a day in their lives spending hundreds on 1 year old's birthday parties and I point out to my mother that when they complain, look what they can spend money. It's not a lack of money that's their problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Hqrry113 wrote: »
    The bit that actually looks at why people are in those situations like being drug addicts, there's a reason people in poverty are far more likely to become drug addicts rather than "they're drug addicts because they choose to be".

These teen-agers aren't all drug addicts and even if they were, how does a 12 year old become a drug addict? Which happens first, their addiction or them behaving like thugs?
    FYI I'm pretty sure it's the latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,233 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

In about 4 years, maybe less, we're very likely going to have a government whose policy is to give even more money to these people.

At the same time, they'll be giving less power to Gardaí and courts to do anything about it.

Something to think about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I see cousins on Facebook who haven't worked a day in their lives spending hundreds on 1 year old's birthday parties and I point out to my mother that when they complain, look what they can spend money. It's not a lack of money that's their problem.

I'm the same- my OH and myself both make decent money now, but we both came from pretty modest backgrounds. We budget carefully (saving for a wedding so that we won't need a loan), so we can afford a decent Xmas etc. Nothing over the top, just nice. Getting my hair done is a luxury and a treat.

Then I see a relative who has never had a job and left school after the JC (in the last 5 years, which is even more rare), has 2 kids by 2 dads, spending GOD knows how much on christenings, bdays, easter and I'm awaiting with baited breath to see how much her wee angles get spoiled on Xmas day.

It's stomach churning.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Glurrl

These scrotes and thier parent need a good kick in the balls/gee. The neighbourhood watch should mobilise themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I'm the same- my OH and myself both make decent money now, but we both came from pretty modest backgrounds. We budget carefully (saving for a wedding so that we won't need a loan), so we can afford a decent Xmas etc. Nothing over the top, just nice. Getting my hair done is a luxury and a treat.

Then I see a relative who has never had a job and left school after the JC (in the last 5 years, which is even more rare), has 2 kids by 2 dads, spending GOD knows how much on christenings, bdays, easter and I'm awaiting with baited breath to see how much her wee angles get spoiled on Xmas day.

It's stomach churning.

They don't have anything else to be at, that is why they spend a lot of time and money on pointless things like baby showers and gender reveling parties, first holy communion, even though they haven't been in a church in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

In my (early 80s) housing estate there's a road where people in Darndale were offered a scheme; basically if you worked at all the government were offering part of your deposit towards a house on this road (nice, private estate only about 20-30mins drive away from Darndale in the north direction).

It unfortunately meant that anyone with a bit of get up and go about them left Darndale and all that remained were the ones with zero interest in doing better.

Melrose Mansions?

The whole "Forgotten poor" thing gets on my tits bigly.

Yes. Poor people are not forgotten. There is a multitude of supports and help... ok, they might not get handed a BMW and a holiday to Mauritius but they get help, get financial aid.... go and do the leg work to fûcking GET help and make things happen too, instead of waiting to MAKE it happen.

Nobody ever rang me and asked me to do a course... nobody ever rang me and told me to come to an interview without applying ... like most people, I researched education courses, did a course, I looked for and applied for jobs online or in a paper, made a CV, applied, was interviewed....I MADE it happen...

If I’ve no job tomorrow, I decide I WANT one, I’m doing the following....

Getting a haircut

Getting a suit and shoes

Researching the jobs market

Making a CV and cover letter.

Reading up on and practicing my interview technique

Applying for a job(s)

Researching the companies from every angle

Turning up for interview and doing my best

In my X years in the jobs market, I never interviewed for a job where an offer didn’t follow. Because I’m a super candidate ? Not really... but..I can present very well, I researched the fûck out of the companies, the industry, the job, had good verifiable references... in other words, I tried, made the effort, wanted it.

If you are poor or disadvantaged... none of the above is beyond you. It’s attainable, with effort. Maybe you need to work harder, it might not come as easy... but you have to make it happen.

Turn to crime ? Face the consequences...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

The forgotten poor?

Has that replaced the "most vulnerable in society" catchy lefty catchphrase?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The forgotten poor?

Has that replaced the "most vulnerable in society" catchy lefty catchphrase?

they really misuse that phrase.

the only thing I can think of safer than a dole sponger with a council gaf and a medical card is an AP grade civil servant who inherited their parents gaf in ballsbridge - almost impossible to screw up life and end up homeless in either of those cases.

the actual most vulnerable in society is a self employed person renting, but because half the time those people get on just fine they're not a priority at all.

I was just using "Forgotten Poor" as a term I read recently as a catch-all for the "Oh God love them" crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Thread delivers.

Truth hurts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Garda press release from the office of Drew Harris: Boys will be boys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

I love boards too much to risk getting a permanent ban to say what I really want

I’ll read these comments from afar.

Keep going lol...

Garda press release from the office of Drew Harris: Boys will be boys.

Say that to the girl in Clondalkin that got arrested for over 300K worth of drugs seized in March lol. Very diverse industry both areas are plagued with

Gards aren’t the blame for incompetence in the area...

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭into_the_wild

Someone in the govt needs to have the balls to pass a strict law against these bully teens destroying this otherwise beautiful city. Its getting out of hand now ffs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Say that to the girl in Clondalkin that got arrested for over 300K worth of drugs seized in March lol. Very diverse industry both areas are plagued with

Gards aren’t the blame for incompetence in the area...

Drugs are a different story. They will get you for the drugs. Especially if its evil marijuana plants. Gardai caught a man with the makings of a pinner last week .

Someone in the govt needs to have the balls to pass a strict law against these bully teens destroying this otherwise beautiful city. Its getting out of hand now ffs

Criminals are customers to the court’s

Solicitors get paid by the criminal cases and judgements past down.

Free legal aid payments to the solicitor
    State expense payments which is a blank cheque to the judges...
    who pays for it me and you.
    Criminal gets off free..next customer please.

No incentive to stop.

Gards are doing there best dispite what the hunzo says on her Facebook status.

Drugs are a different story. They will get you for the drugs. Especially if its evil marijuana plants. Gardai caught a man with the makings of a pinner last week .

Illegal regardless of the amount unfortunately...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Treppen

Illegal regardless of the amount unfortunately...

Whether it's legal or illegal I bet you'd still have the scumbaggy gangs which the thread is referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Scum, Subhuman scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Godeatsboogers

These scrotes have the drug trade to fall back on instead of the hard slog of finding and keeping a legal job. The drug trade is at the top of the pyramid of the majority of other crimes. We dont have enough jobs for all the people who need jobs, some people will never spend the time and energy it takes to get a job. The drug trade needs to be removed as an option, but that needed to be done 30 years ago. Now, even if we legalized and controlled drugs, there would still be a large market. Our people in power were very shortsighted when illegal drugs were starting to boom in the the 70s, you cant control the drug trade from the outside, you can only mildly disrupt it.

As for teenagers in groups carrying out violent carnage on a regular basis, I'd love to see a renegade unit of an gardai siochana to identify these youths and get them on their own, batter em if need be, but definitely put the ****s up them, let them know that there illegal actions of certain calibre will be responded to in a similar fashion, it's the only language they seem to understand.

Melrose Mansions?

Yep! Not a bad estate, went through rough patches like everywhere else- but generally decent enough!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Read a post on bookface last night about one one these scumbags getting an almighty hiding off the parent of a young lad they assaulted a few weeks back. He has a couple of broken ribs and a broken wrist. Here's hoping it's not just BS

ElJeffe wrote: »
    Read a post on bookface last night about one one these scumbags getting an almighty hiding off the parent of a young lad they assaulted a few weeks back. He has a couple of broken ribs and a broken wrist. Here's hoping it's not just BS

Hope the parent doesn't have any legal problems.

Hope the parent doesn't have any legal problems.

Folk who give minors hidings don't usually worry about legal problems. Likely a bit of a local name, respected etc so AGS won't be notified.
    If he was an accountant in a big 4 firm or similar you can be sure
    1) he wouldn't be battering a minor
    2) he'd get his house petrol bombed or similat
    3) he'd have AGS to his door and he's be dealt with severely by the courts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭thegetawaycar

In about 4 years, maybe less, we're very likely going to have a government whose policy is to give even more money to these people.

At the same time, they'll be giving less power to Gardaí and courts to do anything about it.

That's exactly what's going to happen and the main reason is the "housing crisis", there's a huge cohort of 20-40 year olds unable to afford a house where they want (close to the city) and paying large rents. They believe that the SF will magic them up houses in areas they want to live in when what would really make them have the possibility to live close to the city centre would be to move the scroungers away from it, imprison those that are career criminal/scum and then build upward in the city.

If the likes of Darndale were knocked and rebuilt with workers in mind as opposed to scroungers there'd be more affordable housing close to the city for them.

The ones contributing nothing were already pro SF and will be handed even more and the young workers will be left looking at commuting from further and further.

Most of the professional/middle class remain silent and will be ignored while the country goes to ****. FG have failed their followers massively, the party of those who get up in the morning my ass, watch taxes go up next year as the scroungers get a Christmas bonus. (I'd give the benefit for this year as a lot who usually contribute have been on welfare through no fault of their own).

I'm not sure where the belief that giving unending financial support to the less well off will make them strive to support themselves comes from but it's a failed system. Minimal financial support and investment in support for education, childcare etc... is the way to go IMO

I'm not sure where the belief that giving unending financial support to the less well off will make them strive to support themselves comes from but it's a failed system. Minimal financial support and investment in support for education, childcare etc... is the way to go IMO

Indeed, sure those on it are the forgotten poor etc :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'm cracking up at the comments here about welfare payments and getting jobs

Do people not realise how much money some of these kids are making working for the drugs gangs?

Thats the core of it, theres a fortunes being made from drugs now, the Gardai arent at the races in combating the industry.

Horse has bolted, damage done. Short of some sort of three strikes law and massive sentences for organised crime, we're not fixing this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

You mustn't have ever left Ireland if you think that. These scumbags would get eaten alive in part of Naples or Paris. Nearly everywhere in Europe has this problem.

In parts, unfortunately they are all over Dublin, and Ireland for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Artfu1Dodger

My God. Sinn Fein shoehorned into another thread and is now being blamed on something 4 years in the future.

Absolute state of this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Bambi wrote: »

Do people not realise how much money some of these kids are making working for the drugs gangs?

Thats the core of it, theres a fortunes being made from drugs now, the Gardai arent at the races in combating the industry.

Horse has bolted, damage done. Short of some sort of three strikes law and massive sentences for organised crime, we're not fixing this

Indeed. the young fellas who do the face to face dealing are not earning fortunes, but it is a wage they would be unlikely to get for work they don't want to do anyway.

One or two of them will rise in the ranks, hopefully to be murdered by other scum. Rest are too fkn stupid and lazy even to be successful dealers and will revert to lifelong welfare dependency and breed more scum.

the wonderful circle of life :)

You are right about the cops. A lot of corruption there as well.

Bambi wrote: »

Funny thing half the people in here and other places complaining about these scummers would have no issue snorting a few lines of coke at the weekend. They are that thick they don't see the correlation between the two.

Keplar240B wrote: »
    A good tree produces good fruit, and a bad tree produces bad fruit.

Sh1t apples, Randy..

In parts, unfortunately they are all over Dublin, and Ireland for that matter.

They aren't all over Dublin, they aren't all over the aforementioned either.

• Advertisement

Anyone remember Harry Brown? Decent little vigilante flick with Michael Caine from '09 - we could do with a few Harry Browns around Darndale by the looks of things, if the Gardaí aren't willing to do anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Funny thing half the people in here and other places complaining about these scummers would have no issue snorting a few lines of coke at the weekend. They are that thick they don't see the correlation between the two.

You're 100% right.

The people who buy the drugs are equally to blame.

Drug crime will only reduce when users are targeted. No demand, no filthy animals from Darndale running amok.

If there was a ten grand fine and 6 months in prison for every gram of cocaine in your possession, Tarquin and Joshua from Foxrock wouldnt be buying coke from Pajjoe and Nixer in Darndale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Anyone remember Harry Brown? Decent little vigilante flick with Michael Caine from '09 - we could do with a few Harry Browns around Darndale by the looks of things, if the Gardaí aren't willing to do anything.

Crop dusting contraceptive chemicals would be more effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

These areas were hardly utopias before the dominance of cocaine to be fair.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

My God. Sinn Fein shoehorned into another thread and is now being blamed on something 4 years in the future.

Absolute state of this forum.

Absolute state of Sinn Fein.

A party literally littered with criminals at every level. A party who sees zero wrong with criminality.

A party who have defended enlisting convicted criminals to work behind the scenes on the party's general election campaigns, defended them when proposing criminals to be elected to the Dail and Seanad...

Just because they have an ever so slightly more wokey BS leader, sorry, public PR figurehead, we still understand who pulls the strings....

Keep them out of power, stay true and steadfast to democracy... Sinn Fein are all about keeping their support base happy and expanding it... nothing more.. with them in power the Democratic Republic ends.

Have we heard them condem anti social behaviors such as this ? Nope

Them and their supporters have used violence, thuggery, intimidation or defended it right throughout its history to achieve its aims and goals. Zero has changed...

Give me a FF / FG / Labour etc... as flawed, frustrating as they are.... you know what you get... SF in power would be going from darkness into a proper fûcking abyss.

They’d undermine the criminal justice system, they’d piss money up the wall on welfare... providing zero incentive for anybody who isn’t working to obtain work... no support for Gardai...zero deterrent for criminals... instead of a criminal conviction and sentence for aggravated burglary it would be some cash and a FAS course..and the circle starts again...

Basically a normal working person, with a nice house, car, fruits of ‘hard work’, would be sleeping with an eye open under SF... loads here would probably up sticks and relocate to a democracy... couldn’t blame them.

Good point but I don't think half the country are regular or even ever Daz users

• Advertisement

Pkiernan wrote: »
    You're 100% right.

The people who buy the drugs are equally to blame.

Drug crime will only reduce when users are targeted. No demand, no filthy animals from Darndale running amok.

If there was a ten grand fine and 6 months in prison for every gram of cocaine in your possession, Tarquin and Joshua from Foxrock wouldnt be buying coke from Pajjoe and Nixer in Darndale.

People are always going to do drugs, it's just a fact. Look at prohibition in the states, it doesn't work. Users don't want to fund these scrotes either, in fact, they'd probably be willing to pay a premium in the form of taxes were it legalised. We're already at the point where anybody who wants the stuff can get it easy, there's literally pages on instagram (no pun intended) openly selling the stuff, the state may as well make some cash off the trade and save on policing costs too.

And before you say, just because something's legal doesn't mean everyone and their mother's suddenly gonna run out and do it. If heroin or coke were to become legal tomorrow would you be rushing to pick some up? I certainly wouldn't - but I'd be happier knowing their cash is going to the exchequer and not these scumbag pricks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Tarquin and Joshua from Foxrock wouldnt be buying coke from Pajjoe and Nixer in Darndale.

Why are people, or at least the media, so obsessed with this idea that most people in Foxrock etc are on sniff.

They really arent. It's primarily endemic in the places drugs have always been endemic.

Do you really think the average 510 point Gonzaga educated rugger lad is "mad" enough for gear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,438 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There's a video doing the rounds from same area back in October of a man who got sick of the scrotes hanging around and decided to increase the peace with his fists, joyous to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Why are people, or at least the media, so obsessed with this idea that most people in Foxrock etc are on sniff.

They really arent. It's primarily endemic in the places drugs have always been endemic.

Do you really think the average 510 point Gonzaga educated rugger lad is "mad" enough for gear?

They're all at it, this is a classless problem.

There was a massive coke problem in Loreto on the Green back when I was in school. It shocked me as, rough as my own school was, there wasn't even a hint of anything worse than a few joints going around.

• Advertisement
Advertisement