Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teenage Darndale Gang

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,093 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

So you cant connect the 65 billion euro plus bankers cost this country,resulting in savage austerity measures across the board to this day?

"Ffs. "

The gross cost of the banking re-capitalisation was 63-64 bn, yes.

Note that we acquired assets in return for that, it is not a complete loss.

But yes, the loss is huge.

Note that the austerity stopped years ago, 2014/2015.

There has been the opposite of austerity since 2015, large increases in public spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Geuze wrote: »
    The gross cost of the banking re-capitalisation was 63-64 bn, yes.

Note that we acquired assets in return for that, it is not a complete loss.

But yes, the loss is huge.

Note that the austerity stopped years ago, 2014/2015.

There has been the opposite of austerity since 2015, large increases in public spending.

The gross figure you quote is not inclusive of the resulting billions in interest we have paid so far, and continue to pay to service our ballooned national debt. The effects of this drastically increased debt burden will be with us for generations to come, these effects caused dont just "stop" on specific dates. Eg Our ongoing homelessness crisis

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I know some people from Darndale and they are sound but it is horrendous place, even to look at. It's not too bad near the main road but the further in you go the more it becomes like a set from some dystopian movie. A lot of good people stuck there because they can't afford to move.

In before me, very depressing part of the city, also when you go through it by car it's really dark as well, even by night time standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

The gross figure you quote is not inclusive of the resulting billions in interest we have paid so far, and continue to pay to service our ballooned national debt. The effects of this drastically increased debt burden will be with us for generations to come, these effects caused dont just "stop" on specific dates. Eg Our ongoing homelessness crisis

But is it the cause of some people terrorising others in the same community, who either are subject to the same circumstances or worse or are trying to work and learn their way out if it?
    There is no excuse for that kind of treatment being metted out by some people, I dont think they even say it themselves, not that they'd know, because some people have been at this for generations.
    I consider Ireland to be lawless in some areas, like this. Do you really think if there were resources because the State didnt take on that debt, that these problems would be fixed, I think the money wouldnt have been found and would have got lost on social and other vanity projects.

I will not be surprised when someone takes the law into their own hands becomes widespread

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is shipping them off to Australia an option?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Daragh1980

Yup, white collar criminals have caused more damage to society than any supposed "dole spongers. "

Another apologist for violent crime.
    The man who they attacked will feel the effects of this for years, long after the broken bones heal.

Daragh1980 wrote: »
    Another apologist for violent crime.
    The man who they attacked will feel the effects of this for years, long after the broken bones heal.

Yes, and that guy will likely have to go back living beside these scum who will have nothing done to them about it.

1874 wrote: »
    Do you really think if there were resources because the State didnt take on that debt, that these problems would be fixed, I think the money wouldnt have been found and would have got lost on social and other vanity projects.

Despite popular opinion on this thread, I have not once conflated this example of social disorder with the economic collapse, thats a far more complex question to which I dont have the answer. I am just consistently perplexed by the divide and conquer class warfare present on a multitude of threads, if only the same ire was reserved for the real common enemy to us all, our elite overlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,268 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Failed housing schemes. Most kids haven't a hope when born into that negativity. Drugs and alcohol are the easy way out, and you're stuck in a cycle of addiction and little prospects.

Level it and relocate the residents over time. Regenerate the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Nothing will happen if they are caught. They'll be entered into the Youth Diversion Programme and the JLO will give them a caution. They are probably already on it, so another stern word would be had.

Word of note. The Programme for Government want to extend this scheme from 18 years of age up to 24.

This is why kids are not afraid of the garda anymore. Nothing will happen. The skangers in my area when I was young were the worst of the worst, some very notable crimes that made the news. But they always had to keep a low profile because the Garda were always after them with warrants and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Despite popular opinion on this thread, I have not once conflated this example of social disorder with the economic collapse, thats a far more complex question to which I dont have the answer. I am just consistently perplexed by the divide and conquer class warfare present on a multitude of threads, if only the same ire was reserved for the real common enemy to us all, our elite overlords.

Maybe you're trying to be "cool" or contrarian but I think most people would agree it is a load of shite to going on about bankers because some skangers surrounded one vastly outnumbered fella and battered him repeatedly for the craic.

Overlords, absolutely agree, but this thread isnt about that, its about selfish degenerate scum turning on their fellow citizens, neighbours, who are as subject to the problems caused by our overlords as the rest of us, its no excuse, I dont even think they use it themselves, because then they at least would see themselves as being in a similar situation to people they intended to carry this out on, that might make them think.
    Its mob mentality, for what purpose? lash out at society? there are more facilities than ever, the most important being educational.
    You can bring a horse to water, but you cant make it drink if it doesnt want to.

Nothing will happen if they are caught. They'll be entered into the Youth Diversion Programme and the JLO will give them a caution. They are probably already on it, so another stern word would be had.

Word of note. The Programme for Government want to extend this scheme from 18 years of age up to 24.

**** that.

Get them paying taxes and contributing. Doing anything. Picking up litter, bloody anything but scrounging.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

dd973 wrote: »
    In before me, very depressing part of the city, also when you go through it by car it's really dark as well, even by night time standards.

It is. I live in a more settled working class part of the city, and while there are scum around, they don't have that all pervasive menace that is palpable in places like Darndale. I walked through it one time with a friend and at some point there are actually very few street lights and no paths. And no one around other than the odd person hurrying home and of course the scum.

She was involved in election campaigns in the area, and told me that in one winter election almost nobody in Darndale came out to vote after it began to get dark. i wouldn't consider myself to be a shrinking violet but was genuinely scared going through the place. Only equivalent to that was one day working out in Adamstown, where we decided to abandon ship when it was obvious the local hoods were following us about. A lot of it has to do with the physical appearance of the place. I doubt whichever planner drew them up would want to live in them.

They should be relocated to an island and left to fend for themselves.

Or sterilised and put to work in chain gangs or labour camps.

Scum will never contribute anything worthwhile. With their freedom and the ability to breed, it only ever gets worse.

Nothing good ever comes from ignoring a problem. They should be dealt with swiftly and with ferocious intent.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,781 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

ElJeffe wrote: »
    You mustn't have ever left Ireland if you think that. These scumbags would get eaten alive in part of Naples or Paris. Nearly everywhere in Europe has this problem.

Ah shur tis grand...nawtin to see here.

JayZeus wrote: »
    They should be relocated to an island and left to fend for themselves.

Or sterilised and put to work in chain gangs or labour camps.

Scum will never contribute anything worthwhile. With their freedom and the ability to breed, it only ever gets worse.

Nothing good ever comes from ignoring a problem. They should be dealt with swiftly and with ferocious intent.

An island surrounded by sea? On all sides?...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Yup, white collar criminals have caused more damage to society than any supposed "dole spongers. "

Hahah. Hillarious. The poor and welfare dependent are responsible for most of societies ills

• Registered Users Posts: 23,824 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The crimes you don't see are carried out by the educated, the crimes you do are carried out by the forgotten and the ignored.

This is not a competition however. The way its supposed to work is the Garda Commissioner is supposed to say to the Government, 'I have a problem here and I don't have the tools to fix it, sort me out please'

Any Garda who throws his hands up and says 'there's nothing I can do' is certainly making that a permanent situation. If both the Guards and the Government don't want vigilantism, they'd better think very carefully about drastically reducing the age of criminal responsibility and applying sanctions to parents and guardians.

Maybe you're trying to be "cool" or contrarian but I think most people would agree it is a load of shite to going on about bankers because some skangers surrounded one vastly outnumbered fella and battered him repeatedly for the craic.

The reason I cited the example of a minority(bankers)wreaking economic havoc on society is because this thread was the usual, well worn guff about another minority of 'welfare queens' somehow crippling the economy. If this 'argument' is going to be put forth then at least contextualise it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,827 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

walshb wrote: »
    Gardai can’t do a thing to them?

Is this a joke?

Gardai can’t stop them, challenge them, protect the public from them?

Can’t actually do the job that society charges them with?

The shower these days as I’ve said previously, just want to shoot fish in a barrel, doing anything by ways of legwork or putting themselves in harms way ? Forget it.

My aunts car was nicked from outside her door.... “ do you think it’s a safe place to leave it ?“.. she was asked by the Garda... “ well considering I’ve parked cars here for 35 years (in her drive) without issue, yes I do !” was her reply... On enquiring what could or would be done... “well, it’s probably the darndale crew, cars are being robbed to order but we’ll see, hard to know what can be done, we’ll be in touch”

Car was found crashed and written off 7 weeks later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

All the legal system gives a hoot about is drug offences, violence is way down the list.

6 wrote: »
    Failed housing schemes. Most kids haven't a hope when born into that negativity. Drugs and alcohol are the easy way out, and you're stuck in a cycle of addiction and little prospects.

Level it and relocate the residents over time. Regenerate the area.

So move the problem and not fix it? Failed housing schemes isnt the cause of this, its a mixture of things.

6 wrote: »
    An island surrounded by sea? On all sides?...

Islands usually are surrounded by water on all sides

• Registered Users Posts: 24,827 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The reason I cited the example of a minority(bankers)wreaking economic havoc on society is because this thread was the usual, well worn guff about another minority of 'welfare queens' somehow crippling the economy. If this 'argument' is going to be put forth then at least contextualise it.

Anyone and everyone breaking the law, needs to be dealt with...

If you are arrested for drug possession, theft, assault.. you’ve broken the law... you haven’t got a pot to piss in, sob stories and bad luck to fill 15 volumes of manuscripts... you’ve broken the law... the decision was yours..

If you have 47 million in the bank, drug possession, theft, assault.... same deal, same parameters need apply...

We need to stick up for the good in society... that if a person breaks the law, they are sanctioned, society is protected from them... regardless of backgrounds, regardless of opportunities, regardless of excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

It's a cycle of fatherless families that breeds teenagers with no positive role models and no prospects. They see their crimes as trivial other than enhancing their rank within their peer group. They are also totally desensitived to their actions and realise if they're caught that a) there's nothing that can really be done other a toothless law enforcement and revolving door legal system with little impact and b) that of this happens it enhances their perceived worth within the group more.

Until the sources of this are discovered and broken this cycle will continue forever.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The crimes you don't see are carried out by the educated, the crimes you do are carried out by the forgotten and the ignored.

All very poetic, and untrue.

The vast majority of people in Ireland are 'educated'. And there is no bias in Irish law between someone who is educated and those who are not.
    This is not a competition however.

You could have fooled me. Throughout this thread, are people bending themselves into shapes seeking to excuse the behavior of these muppets. It's awful what they do but.....
    The way its supposed to work is the Garda Commissioner is supposed to say to the Government, 'I have a problem here and I don't have the tools to fix it, sort me out please'

Any Garda who throws his hands up and says 'there's nothing I can do' is certainly making that a permanent situation. If both the Guards and the Government don't want vigilantism, they'd better think very carefully about drastically reducing the age of criminal responsibility and applying sanctions to parents and guardians.

All of which is fine when you remove the changes in Irish society, the advancement of psychology, and rise of agencies dedicated to these groups. People have rights, apparently. Society has changed to reflect this, and the Gardai are forced to accept that their hands are tied because society won't allow teenagers to be treated like adults when they 'misbehave'. For that to change, you would need society to change... and that's unlikely to happen. We'd also need a media that sought to support the Gardai and seek stronger measures against these kinds of offenders but that doesn't suit the bleeding hearts narrative.

This thread is full of posters trying to pass the buck on to someone else. The people in this gang are responsible for their own behavior and choices. Plenty of people from poor backgrounds never engage in violent crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    It's a cycle of fatherless families that breeds teenagers with no positive role models and no prospects. They see their crimes as trivial other than enhancing their rank within their peer group. They are also totally desensitived to their actions and realise if they're caught that a) there's nothing that can really be done other a toothless law enforcement and revolving door legal system with little impact and b) that of this happens it enhances their perceived worth within the group more.

Until the sources of this are discovered and broken this cycle will continue forever.

We have a society structured in such a way that it is financially advantageous for a young woman to have multiple children as early as possible and for the father to not be present. Free house, fuel money, medical cards, lone parents etc... especially if thats the environment she herself grew up in its a stable path.

This breeds entire social developments where the only male role models are generally low achievers , or more likely where the only man on the road with something ‘going for him’ is a violent criminal profiting off the drug trade. Perpetuating the ‘king of the mountain’ mentality among the unfortunate sons of the estate, the hardcase, the dealer, the gangster is the top of the tree for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Island, lots of cameras, random weapons to start with. The "play area" shrinks over time. Last surviving one is crowned king of the knackers.

Television rights should fund it.

Half joking but also would love to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

They should be dashed upon the rocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

So you cant connect the 65 billion euro plus bankers cost this country,resulting in savage austerity measures across the board to this day?

"Ffs. "

You cannot connect constantly making excuses for bad behaviour and a failure to take personal responsibility?

Advertisement