Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teenage Darndale Gang

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

We have a society structured in such a way that it is financially advantageous for a young woman to have multiple children as early as possible and for the father to not be present. Free house, fuel money, medical cards, lone parents etc... especially if thats the environment she herself grew up in its a stable path.

This breeds entire social developments where the only male role models are generally low achievers , or more likely where the only man on the road with something ‘going for him’ is a violent criminal profiting off the drug trade. Perpetuating the ‘king of the mountain’ mentality among the unfortunate sons of the estate, the hardcase, the dealer, the gangster is the top of the tree for them.

Indeed.

There is also the topsy turvy world where someone working and raising a family in a working class estate is in a more precarious situation financially than generational welfare dependents who have disposable incomes vastly greater because they qualify for lots of free stuff.

Unfortunately there is no one really batting for the first category, whereas all of the parties on the left place the second at the head of their priorities. It is a complete myth to claim that anti social criminality is the product of material poverty. That does not exist for those who know the system and prey upon those around them who are in more straitened circumstances.

The scum who infest working class cities and towns are not victims nor do they "get their own back" in the way some middle class lefties imagine by stealing from the Man. their only poverty is moral and intellectual. The consequences of state fostered breeding of defectives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

That's frightening if what happened in Baldoyle is true. I didn't realise Baldoyle was that rough an area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

You could have fooled me. Throughout this thread, are people bending themselves into shapes seeking to excuse the behavior of these muppets. It's awful what they do but.....

This thread is full of posters trying to pass the buck on to someone else. The people in this gang are responsible for their own behavior and choices. Plenty of people from poor backgrounds never engage in violent crime.

That's because those posters will likely never be the victims of said muppets.

Doubt there's many people going to the hospital to visit their elderly mother, who's suffering a concussion, broken nose, cheekbone and jaw because some scum bag decided they wanted the contents of her bag, and walking away thinking "ah but those goddamn bankers are just as bad".

It's a lottery and most of us will be fine because our numbers will never come up and we'll be just fine.

For the unfortunate few they'll take a beating and suffer the long term consequences but we'll all ignore it and try to pretend like "ah sure these kids need role models and what can the cops do anyway and isn't privilege the real problem anyway".

Worst of all everyone already knows who is carrying out these attacks.
    If a local park is dangerous or a certain street is notorious it's not like people are coming from all over the country to cause trouble there.
    Teens from Cork and Galway aren't travelling on up to Darndale on a Sunday night because that's a popular spot to assault some unsuspecting victims.

It's local kids and it's a very small minority of local kids and yet "no arrests have been made" seems to be a phrase going around a lot. Really? We just have no idea at all who could have possibly done this and there's just no way to stop them?

I mean how can you realistically expect the police to be in an area that is notorious for having trouble to stop the people who are well known for causing it? It's just impossible to do that. How can they possibly be in a specific place keeping an eye on things?

It's those damn bankers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Island, lots of cameras, random weapons to start with. The "play area" shrinks over time. Last surviving one is crowned king of the knackers.

Television rights should fund it.

Half joking but also would love to see it.

Would stop the lockdown boredom.

Could schedule the finale to happen annually at Christmas

DellyBelly wrote: »
    That's frightening if what happened in Baldoyle is true. I didn't realise Baldoyle was that rough an area?

It's not. It, Portmarnock and Malahide are destinations for feral gangs who arrive on bicycles or the DART from other places, including Balbriggan where everyone must be delighted to know there is a successful cross-breeding of the native and import strains :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Strumms wrote: »
    The shower these days as I’ve said previously, just want to shoot fish in a barrel, doing anything by ways of legwork or putting themselves in harms way ? Forget it.

My aunts car was nicked from outside her door.... “ do you think it’s a safe place to leave it ?“.. she was asked by the Garda... “ well considering I’ve parked cars here for 35 years (in her drive) without issue, yes I do !” was her reply... On enquiring what could or would be done... “well, it’s probably the darndale crew, cars are being robbed to order but we’ll see, hard to know what can be done, we’ll be in touch”

Car was found crashed and written off 7 weeks later.

The lack of interest / action from the Gardai is only encouraging this kind of behaviour. They are complicit in these crimes if they are not doing their jobs. A police force that does not protect society should not be receiving taxpayer's money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Kids in Malahide + Portmarnock are living in fear of these gangs and even have a text alert thing going. Countless incidents of serious attacks (even on adults), kids cant have a phone, wear a half decent jacket or pair of trainers for fear of being mugged.

I've often seen my sons in the house at 3.30 on a Saturday and asked why aren't they out with their mates to be told the gang from Darndale or Balbriggan are out.

I've been in the village and seen Garda ERU vehicles & unmarked cars descending on the place to round up this scum so they're taking it seriously.

The laws need to change soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

threads like this make me happy to be a culchie.

Here's a video of a woman getting battered on the 27 bus last week in Darndale by teenagers - https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/dublin-bus-fight-footage-shows-19355615

It just seems part and parcel of Dublin/Ireland. There have been gangs like this for as long as I've been around anyway, they just get a bit more press these days because of social media.
    We as a country have more scumbags than other European countries, for all kinds of reasons.

The 27 bus is a great one.

https://www.dublinbus.ie/News-Centre/General-News-Archive/

Buses not serving parts of the 27 route due to anti-social behavior on:
    November 23
    November 21
    November 14
    November 4
    October 21
    October 18
    October 17
    October 14
    October 13
    October 1

LOL.

The bus travels along a single, specific, road and very specific times.
    The same roads and times every single day.

We know exactly where those buses will be and at exactly what times.
    Even knowing exactly what sections of the route have problems.

With all that information there's just nothing that can be done though.
    Nothing.

Somehow.

Garda can set up checkpoints to make sure you are not driving somewhere you shouldn't be during the pandemic.

Can they do something about trouble occurring at the same spots at the same time of day, night after night? Nah.

iebamm2580 wrote: »

Almost every county town has a mini Darndale now. The further you are away from urban centres the better, no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

walshb wrote: »
    Gardai can’t do a thing to them?

Is this a joke?

Gardai can’t stop them, challenge them, protect the public from them?

Can’t actually do the job that society charges them with?

Too busy waving people through checkpoints at county borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Almost every county town has a mini Darndale now. The further you are away from urban centres the better, no doubt.

Clonmel is our biggest town and its very rare if ever to have this problem, you would never see gangs of kids in the town acting the maggot. Obviously odd occasion of violence but not gangs of kids doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

keano_afc wrote: »
    Too busy waving people through checkpoints at county borders.

The garda are onto a no-win situation here.

Stop the kids throwing rocks, they should be on checkpoints
    Stop the cars travelling, they should be stopping the kids throwing rocks.

The garda are powerless here, it really needs some social pressure to stop it. And it if takes busses not going there to the responsible adults off their feet and to do something about it, then that's what it takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The gross figure you quote is not inclusive of the resulting billions in interest we have paid so far, and continue to pay to service our ballooned national debt. The effects of this drastically increased debt burden will be with us for generations to come, these effects caused dont just "stop" on specific dates. Eg Our ongoing homelessness crisis

let me ask you two questions

1. even with the bank bailout , is the standard of living today or even in 2012 ( peak austerity ) better or worse for people in Darndale than in 1965 ?

2. was the level of delinquency in 1965 as pervasive as it is today ?

i ask you these questions because you seem to be blaming the Darndale issue of anti social behaviour problems on the delinquency of bankers which gave rise to austerity policies for a number of years , or are you just engaging in run of the mill whatabouttery ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Despite popular opinion on this thread, I have not once conflated this example of social disorder with the economic collapse.

Yeah... but you did.
    So you cant connect the 65 billion euro plus bankers cost this country,resulting in savage austerity measures across the board to this day?

"Ffs. "

1874 wrote: »
    Based on my experience with the Gardai, the only way to deal with these people is , avoid and then if not possible carry some kind of non lethal weapon around, and in the case of that person on the bus, just knock them out unfortunately, dont want to be getting into a wrestling match with people or start taking them down individually, not entirely realistic as they always travel in gangs and if you live in the area, you'd become known and targetted, but not impossible, but you will be on the receiving end of something.

The thing about that is if you did knock one of them out you could accidentally cause them to die or suffer a life changing injury.

At which point the Gardai would suddenly become very competent and able to find you and arrest you and the courts would suddenly be able to hand out an actually meaningful criminal conviction and sentence.

I assume that for most people they just roll the dice and hope that they aren't too badly damaged or traumatised and will get over it and back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

The garda are onto a no-win situation here.

Stop the kids throwing rocks, they should be on checkpoints
    Stop the cars travelling, they should be stopping the kids throwing rocks.

The garda are powerless here, it really needs some social pressure to stop it. And it if takes busses not going there to the responsible adults off their feet and to do something about it, then that's what it takes.

Then why not give them some power or leverage?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Despite popular opinion on this thread, I have not once conflated this example of social disorder with the economic collapse, thats a far more complex question to which I dont have the answer. I am just consistently perplexed by the divide and conquer class warfare present on a multitude of threads, if only the same ire was reserved for the real common enemy to us all, our elite overlords.

you have explicitly conflated the two , you directly linked anti social behaviour and a growing culture of delinquency with the austerity policies which followed the crash

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This all comes down to lack of parenting at the end of the day

I'd support measures to "encourage" parenting.

Top of the list should be tieing weekly welfare payments to the behaviour of the children so holding the adults responsible for their children.

When it comes to child sanctions by the courts/guards it should be a 3 strike graduated rule for the parent.

This is just common sense. We should have these measures already.

Until these things are brought in people will continue living in fear in these areas.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    you have explicitly conflated the two , you directly linked anti social behaviour and a growing culture of delinquency with the austerity policies which followed the crash
    Switzerland has more than its share of sociopathic Bankers but they've got public order. There is no relationship whatsoever between white collar crime and thuggery on the streets except in the mind of that type of person who wish to lay blame for the ills of the world at the feet of the banking system.

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    let me ask you two questions

1. even with the bank bailout , is the standard of living today or even in 2012 ( peak austerity ) better or worse for people in Darndale than in 1965 ?

2. was the level of delinquency in 1965 as pervasive as it is today ?

i ask you these questions because you seem to be blaming the Darndale issue of anti social behaviour problems on the delinquency of bankers which gave rise to austerity policies for a number if years , or are you just engaging in run of the mill whatabouttery ?

What about "relative poverty"?

Fact is many people on welfare have a lifestyle that is the equivalent of upper middle class 30 years ago in terms of cars, TVs, holidays etc, etc.

As said before, criminal parasitical families have far more money than their working neighbours or their genuinely social welfare dependent elderly or otherwise unable to work neighbours.

I was paying a mortgage at least five times the rent being paid by neighbours where the allegedly single parent was living with her scumbag fella and raised two drug dealers. Two cars, holidays and drunk or stoned most of the time. Two of us were working with small child at time, and decent neighbours other side were two people just married working in a shop and on building sites.

None of our kids are a burden on society. The others are generationally bred to be scum. As my grandad said of dogs and of people: "Bad bitch, bad pups."

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Welfare payments?

These lads are making small fortunes from dealing, you think their family care about losing their mickey money?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭PMBC

What has been done successfully in other countries?

Bonniedog wrote: »
    ............. It is a complete myth to claim that anti social criminality is the product of material poverty. That does not exist for those who know the system and prey upon those around them who are in more straitened circumstances.

The scum who infest working class cities and towns are not victims nor do they "get their own back" in the way some middle class lefties imagine by stealing from the Man. their only poverty is moral and intellectual. The consequences of state fostered breeding of defectives.

100% fact IMO.
    I know plenty folk from rough areas who weren't well off and they turned out perfectly well and their parents were lovely folk. I also know folk who didn't turn out perfectly well but they don't attack randomers for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Augeo wrote: »
    100% fact IMO.
    I know plenty folk from rough areas who weren't well off and they turned out perfectly well and their parents were lovely folk. I also know folk who didn't turn out perfectly well but they don't attack randomers for the craic.

100% , some of the loveliest, hardest working, most honest people Ive ever met have been from working class backgrounds and council estates. Its a cop out to suggest that the reason for the scumbag behaviour is the financial or geographic circumstances in which the person grew up.

its a false causality, when in reality having a father present or good male role models in the community is much more likely what influences the outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

iebamm2580 wrote: »

Outside pubs in country towns are absolute warzone at the weekends compared to Dublin in fairness.

Maxpfizer wrote: »
    The thing about that is if you did knock one of them out you could accidentally cause them to die or suffer a life changing injury.

At which point the Gardai would suddenly become very competent and able to find you and arrest you and the courts would suddenly be able to hand out an actually meaningful criminal conviction and sentence.

I assume that for most people they just roll the dice and hope that they aren't too badly damaged or traumatised and will get over it and back to normal.

And there you are... that's the difference and why the Gardai are seemingly incapable of doing anything about the situation. Minors. They're protected. Reduce that protection, and I'd imagine most Gardai would be only too happy to step in.

But what happens after? I know a variety of people who were arrested, and did "time" when they were young, they're worse now that ever before. And each time they've been arrested, sentenced, and served further time, they've come out.. well.. you know. Everyone knows. The Gardai know this. As do most people, but all we see are obstacles being placed to protect those convicted of crimes whether they be minors or adults.

To resolve these kind of situations, we would need to fix the problems associated with sentencing, serving the sentence, and after release. Not going to happen though. It's just easier to blame the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Is there anything to be said for not wiping a persons record of violent offences when they turn 18?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Outside pubs in country towns are absolute warzone at the weekends compared to Dublin in fairness.

only some towns and usually thats down to 2 groups of people, university students or a group of people that have a higher chance of being married to their cousin than finishing secondary school.

• Advertisement

This all comes down to lack of parenting at the end of the day

I'd support measures to "encourage" parenting.

Top of the list should be tieing weekly welfare payments to the behaviour of the children so holding the adults responsible for their children.

When it comes to child sanctions by the courts/guards it should be a 3 strike graduated rule for the parent.

This is just common sense. We should have these measures already.

Until these things are brought in people will continue living in fear in these areas.

The problem there is that we are assuming that these people actually care.

It's more likely that they will continue not caring and their situation will become so dire that someone needs to step in and give them another hand out anyway.

Welfare is great for people who actually need it as a temporary measure to get themselves dusted off and back on their feet or to get a leg up.

Unfortunately what you are dealing with here is people who just don't care at all. About any of it.

So nothing can really be done if the parents just don't give a damn. Better to just have simple ideas like protecting the community from these dangerous kids. Any dangerous individuals, really.

It's too bad we don't have some kind of facility where these people could be taken and looked after in order to protect the rest of society from them.

You know, like you and your buddies beat up a random guy in the park so you get put into one of these places for a few years so that you can't hurt anyone else. I'd imagine they could have some kind of cell with locked doors etc and maybe programs to at least encourage education. If people continue to harm others upon release from these prisons theoretical facilities then just lock them up again. A radical idea, I guess.

Advertisement