Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drew Harris appointed Garda commissioner.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Good appointment.

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. He'll slip up eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,493 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

fxotoole wrote: »
    He’s already served in the Scottish police, hasn’t he?

In 2014 the only PSNI officer with the correct qualifications for the Chief Constable job was Hamilton. So whatever service Harris had in Scotland was not at a high enough level to satisfy the criteria.

He would not have got the job if Sinn Fein were in government here. Unless he was happy to settle for a salary of €100K or less, as is SF policy on public pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,746 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

archer22 wrote: »
    Yeah they tend to be a frugal lot as well...so he is unlikely to lose a dozen phones and a couple of laptops.

A lot less work-shy too.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

Oh my.

You're right this isn't court this is a debate, have ever been involved in one before?

It's pretty simple, when you make a claim it's expected that you will back that claim up with evidence so as to prove your point. If you don't do this then how can anyone take your claims seriously?

Debate? Are you alright? Like I said, this is on the same level as denying Gerry Adams was in the IRA.
    I can hardly supply you with the files can I? Seen as they have mysteriously disappeared!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,405 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

DONTMATTER wrote: »
    Debate? Are you alright? Like I said, this is on the same level as denying Gerry Adams was in the IRA.
    I can hardly supply you with the files can I? Seen as they have mysteriously disappeared!

I'll leave you to your fantasies and speculation because trying to have a debate with you is on par with banging my head against a brick wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

timthumbni wrote: »
    Actually Kudos for the original poster to not only bring up someone’s religion in relation to them getting a job in the republic but also the specific offshoot of their religion.

This so called “united” Ireland isn’t exactly sounding very “United” now is it??.

This thread is about as welcome as Liam Adams offering to help out at your kids youth club.....

Still posting about bringing your kids to Orange Order marches Tim? If so do you see the irony in what you posted? Bringing your children to marches which celebrate perceived supremacy over another religion.

I'll leave you to your fantasies and speculation because trying to have a debate with you is on par with banging my head against a brick wall.

This is a silly online forum. You got confused or something, we're not in court or on the school debating team.

The files have disappeared, the families are still looking for justice. The engineering of the bombs does not consist with previous loyalist efforts. I'll leave you to deny Gerry Adams was in the IRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Unless they separate Garda policing from national security functions this makes no sense.

Harris' loyalty has always been to a foreign power. It was revealed at the Smithwick Tribunal that as PSNI head of intelligence he was its interface with MI5. Hardly a safe set of hands for matters of national security.

No adverse reflection on Harris' character intended : he appears to be a talented, experienced and principled Police officer.

My first thought has well. They will have to set up a stand alone security apparatus now. It would make absolutely no sense to allow a man whose bedrock loyalty is to a foreign power and who has worked hand in glove with MI5 for decades to be in charge of irish national security. I don't believe that the powers that be or that naive and stupid (although you never know).

In relation to reforming day to day policing he seems like a great choice. He knows policing in an Irish context and is an outsider to An GS. He needs to be allowed bring in his own team as well though. If he doesn't he could be very easily isolated and the Head of operational policing might end up the de facto or "real commissioner" in the eyes of the mules.

And has been pointed out to you MANY Sinn fein members are also part of an organisation that have the same/worse decor. Where is your thread on them?

I mean one day they might get into power (snigger) and one of them may become minister for justice (snigger, snigger) so surely that are just as dangerous to the country right?

I don't know why you find the fact that SF will get into power so hilarious. They are quite obviously on the cusp of garnering real political power. I would never vote for them in a million years but it is obvious that sooner or later they will be in government

sabat wrote: »
    His name sounds like a teenager from the wrong side of the tracks in Neighbours or Home and Away.

hes probably from yabbie creek!!!!

• Advertisement

The RUC.probably hated catholics but as a police force, they were far less corrupt than AGS

I dont recall the GS for all their faults running death squads or some members moonlighting with said death squads

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_McCaughey

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Weir_(loyalist)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

is it a still a requirement to be able to speak Irish in the civil service. I wonder is Drew fluent ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,150 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

6541 wrote: »
    is it a still a requirement to be able to speak Irish in the civil service. I wonder is Drew fluent ?

He has no need to be nor is he required to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The Irish requirement was done away with in 2005.

Irish no longer a requirement to join An Garda

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Unless they separate Garda policing from national security functions this makes no sense.

Harris' loyalty has always been to a foreign power. It was revealed at the Smithwick Tribunal that as PSNI head of intelligence he was its interface with MI5. Hardly a safe set of hands for matters of national security.

No adverse reflection on Harris' character intended : he appears to be a talented, experienced and principled Police officer.

I'm pretty sure we have a fairly comprehensive intelligence-sharing arrangement with the UK anyway. There wouldn't really be anything we know that they wouldn't when it comes to national security, especially given the fact that we almost completely rely on them to protect our national security interests given our geographical location next to them and their vastly superior security apparatus covering us.

DONTMATTER wrote: »
    This is a silly online forum. You got confused or something, we're not in court or on the school debating team.

Me: The grass is blue, you only think.its green because we are all fed drugs everyday to make us think it's green.

You: What? Do you have evidence for this?

Me: Nah man they buried the secret files but you have my word on it, grass is really blue!
    The files have disappeared, the families are still looking for justice. The engineering of the bombs does not consist with previous loyalist efforts. I'll leave you to deny Gerry Adams was in the IRA.

1st. I have never denied Adams was in the IRA so I'm confused as to why you are saying this?:confused:

2nd: If you are going to accuse someone if sonethingbits really only right that tounhave evidence to back up your claim. Would it be ok for me to accuse someone of having connections to a child sex ring without Evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I couldn't give a toss about his religion but I do care about the fact he was working with the RUC Special Branch that was up to its neck in collusion with Loyalist paramilitaries that murdered Irish citizens on both sides of the border. That entire police force was a discredited mess that engaged in collusion, torture and a rake of other human rights abuses. I don't think we should be eagerly welcoming someone coming out of that mire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

I also wonder is he a member of the Orange Order. If so he needs to declare this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

An bhfuil Gaeilge líofa agat?

FTA69 wrote: »
    I couldn't give a toss about his religion but I do care about the fact he was working with the RUC Special Branch that was up to its neck in collusion with Loyalist paramilitaries that murdered Irish citizens on both sides of the border. That entire police force was a discredited mess that engaged in collusion, torture and a rake of other human rights abuses. I don't think we should be eagerly welcoming someone coming out of that mire.

would that be the police force he helped reform?

• Advertisement

would that be the police force he helped reform?

The one whose security agenda is under the exclusive control of MI5? The conflict is over and that's the reason the cops there are no longer operating as a counter-insurgency force; the last thing we need is some RUC old guard who was getting up to god knows what.

The one whose security agenda is under the exclusive control of MI5? The conflict is over and that's the reason the cops there are no longer operating as a counter-insurgency force; the last thing we need is some RUC old guard who was getting up to god knows what.

so you decided to ignore the bit where i said he was heavily involved in reforming the RUC?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

He was involved in tearing down the mess you spoke of and establishing the PSNI, which improved things vastly. Hopefully he can do the same with the Gardai, who are similarly in need of a demolish and refurb job.

The IRA, I might remind you, also murdered Irish citizens (including Gardai) on both sides of the border including his father and also engaged in torture, criminality and other human rights abuses. Any dislike he holds towards that organization is entirely warranted and shared by the vast majority of decent people on both sides of the border.

It has been fun to watch shinnerbot heads explode over this on twitter though.

so you decided to ignore the bit where i said he was heavily involved in reforming the RUC?

He was a figure within the RUC during a period of reform, and while in a senior role was supposedly working closely with MI5 and conspiring to come up with politically-motivated arrests of Gerry Adams and co. We have no idea of his past, except for the fact he was involved in sections of that police force which were also engaging in collusion with Loyalists.

He was a figure within the RUC during a period of reform, and while in a senior role was supposedly working closely with MI5 and conspiring to come up with politically-motivated arrests of Gerry Adams and co. We have no idea of his past, except for the fact he was involved in sections of that police force which were also engaging in collusion with Loyalists.

presumably you dont actually have anything to support that? Or that he actually colluded with loyalists?

presumably you dont actually have anything to support that? Or that he actually colluded with loyalists?

Sure all the files have been buried/destroyed and they would hardly give an auld republican joe soap access to them anyway :D

It's gas though, we shouldn't trust this man because he has in the past been associated with an organisation that did horrible things, nothing to say he did them just that he was associated.

The same posters saying this would post here 24/7 if an election was called tell9ng us all why we should vote for SF. An organisation FULL of people who have associations to an organisation that murdered innocent people and who have members today in the public eye linked to said murders.

But we should trust them.because they are "good republicans "

Sure all the files have been buried/destroyed and they would hardly give an auld republican joe soap access to them anyway :D

It's gas though, we shouldn't trust this man because he has in the past been associated with an organisation that did horrible things, nothing to say hedid them just that he was associated.

The same posters saying this would post here 24/7 if an election was called tell9ng us all why we should vote for ST. An organisation FULL of people who have associations to an organisation that murdered innocent people and who have members today in the public eye linked to said murders.

not just linked, actually convicted of said murders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Having people trying to murder them and their families every time they stepped outside the door might have influenced their behaviour a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

OOnegative wrote: »

If 65 isn't too old we could do worse than get this guy

Former NZ Police Commissioner, once fought off a gang of machete-wielding ruffians who had invaded his home while he was only armed with a ceremonial sword. Also refused to allow the NZ police generally to carry firearms (a good fit with our largely unarmed policy) and has prior experience with policing outside of his native country.

Oh and his mammy came from Roscommon ;)

• Advertisement

Me: The grass is blue, you only think.its green because we are all fed drugs everyday to make us think it's green.

You: What? Do you have evidence for this?

Me: Nah man they buried the secret files but you have my word on it, grass is really blue!

1st. I have never denied Adams was in the IRA so I'm confused as to why you are saying this?:confused:

2nd: If you are going to accuse someone if sonethingbits really only right that tounhave evidence to back up your claim. Would it be ok for me to accuse someone of having connections to a child sex ring without Evidence?

If you're going to denyt the files went missing even then we're completely wasting our time.

Advertisement