Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drew Harris appointed Garda commissioner.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,497 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Mikenesson wrote: »
    I'm optimistic about this

He seems to be a top man

Has to be a big improvement after Callaghan and Sullivan

His past is just as chequered as theirs. Ask the Miami survivors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

timthumbni wrote: »
    West brits????

Wtf are you a mod on exactly????? The drunk, crying, tricolour pants wearing republican forum?????.

We don't think you're a West Brit Timthumbni, you're Irish just like the rest of us.

But how do you think Harris serving and swearing allegiance to Ireland will go down in the North amongst the those who claim the Gardaí helped take out some of the RUC and their fellow travellers?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,157 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

His past is just as chequered as theirs. Ask the Miami survivors.

What part did drew take in this considering it took place 8 years before he joined the RUC?

What part did drew take in this considering it took place 8 years before he joined the RUC?

They tried to get information through his office in the recent past but met a wall of silence. I can't copy and paste on this gadget but just check out the RTE news site for an interview with Stephen Travers this morning.

They tried to get through his office in the recent past but met a wall of silence. I can't copy and paste on this gadget but just check out the RTE news site for an interview with Stephen Travers this morning.

how is that evidence of his checkered past?

• Advertisement

how is that evidence of his checkered past?

Because he refused to name names or give the information they required. He refused to help victims therefore I can't see him being any different in his new role.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/i-believe-gerry-adams-wasnt-in-ira-says-sinn-feins-mary-lou-mcdonald-37055161.html

Sinn Fein President Mary Lou McDonald has said that she believes the claim from her predecessor Gerry Adams that he was never a member of the IRA.

She that she believed "the IRA have gone away" and denied that the IRA Army Council was still directing Sinn Fein policy.

The Sinn Fein leader also stood by comments in which she called alleged former IRA Chief of Staff Thomas 'Slab' Murphy a 'good republican'.

this link is from today.

when they are still coming out with this crap its like talking to some one with a very strong delusion

Sure Aegir,

Britain is breaking up. Becoming weaker and weaker.

What someone bought a massive saw and started cutting Wales and Scotland off did they?

Because he refused to name names or give the information they required. He refused to help victims therefore I can't see him being any different in his new role.

you presume he had the information and the authority to release it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I was hoping for somebody from the Shin Bet or maybe someone like Lavrentiy Beria.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Taytoland wrote: »
    For God and Ulster Drew!

Funny you say that.

Drew Harris is part of an agenda to integrate unionists into a United Ireland.

This follows a former unionist being appointed to the Seanad.

No doubt Varadkar can then use this as balance when he goes into coalition with Sinn Féin.
    Actually quite clever.

Times they are a changing.

Do Dhia Agus Éireann mo chara.
    And a billion people are living on the moon!:woot:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

The fact is this man was part of the sectarian RUC, he colluded and effectively was part of a terrorist organisation.
    His father was killed because of that.

He most likely helped in the murder of innocent Irish people for the British state just like Fg and Labour and covered them up if even necessary.

People are very naive if they anything will happen to Gerry Adam's or from the Smith Wick tribunal just because he's the new commissioner.
    Nothing will.

However, he'll be branded a traitor by unionists.

If he is willing to swear an oath of allegiance to Ireland and shows up his predecessors then I'm happy.

Hope he does a good job.

Do you have a link to that as it's news to me? Was his mother part of a 'terrorist' organisation too and she was injured when the car was blown up.

you presume he had the information and the authority to release it.

Yes.
    You obviously don't. Good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭well spoken man

Only good cop is a dead one.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Well I can see why the Unionists don't want to join this dump after reading through most of the posts here!!

Frankly I think they should consider building a wall along the border.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

archer22 wrote: »
    Well I can see why the Unionists don't want to join this dump after reading through most of the posts here!!

Frankly I think they should consider building a wall along the border.

Ah come on, this is all tame compared to what certain other unionists get up to up there, wait till the 12th thread

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Will he stand & salute for the Irish National Anthem? And will he sing it ????:D

Stephen Travers described his appointment as "leaving a fox in charge of the henhouse".
    Change just for the sake of change does not work and this change is like replacing like with like. I don't like it. Surely we could have done better.

Will he stand & salute for the Irish National Anthem? And will he sing it ????:D

He will be in charge of arrangements for the Pope's visit too :D

He will be in charge of arrangements for the Pope's visit too :D

sorry to disappoint but he doesnt start in his new post until after the Pope's visit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Only good cop is a dead one.......
    Mod note: well spoken man, don't post in this thread again.

Buford T. Justice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Will he wear a poppy ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It was long overdue for AGS to have a Commissioner appointed externally. His background is inconsequential. If he's up to the top job then its all for the better. AGS needs root and branch reform and he may just be the man to do it.

I predict the usual armchair republicans will be foaming at the mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

JupiterKid wrote: »
    It was long overdue fir AGS to have a Superintendent appointed externally. His background is inconsequential.

except it's not inconsequential. the fact he was a former RUC member means he is going to have some people suspicious of him from the get go. a huge eye needs to be kept upon him.

and lets hope they do. they have a legitimate complaint.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Hopefully he kicks a lot of holes and puts an end to the rot within the organisation that has seen its respect and reputation suffer so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

It was long overdue for AGS to have a Superintendent appointed externally. His background is inconsequential. If he's up to the top job then its all for the better. AGS needs root and branch reform and he may just be the man to do it.

Superintendent? His job is quite a bit above that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Superintendent? His job is quite a bit above that.

People are often very sloppy about garda, police and indeed military ranks, in a way that I can only imagine causes petits mals in the organisations -- leave alone the individuals -- concerned. A recent TV report called the commissioner of the Met the "Commander" (which similarly, is an actual rank too, but one about four more junior). UK chief constables, Deputy CCs, and Assistant CC are all different ranks, but get captioned and introduced interchangeably. "Lieutenant Commanders" regularly turn into "Lieutenants", also v. bad for their pension outcomes, were this the case. Plus of course the pronunciation of the word "Lieutenant" itself is always a "which side of the pond" lottery.

except it's not inconsequential. the fact he was a former RUC member means he is going to have some people suspicious of him from the get go. a huge eye needs to be kept upon him.

So, the problem is that people will be distrustful of him, and the solution, is to be distrustful of him.

It's the old "causing your own problem, the better to complain about it" strategy again, isn't it.

Please don't be seconding him to the AGS band. His salary and allowances package would likely go up another €50k, and he'd stop showing up for some bits of the original job.

• Advertisement

They're not as well able for the barstool any more, what with the DVT, varicosity, lumbago, etc.

Advertisement