Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NARGC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭garrettod

Credit where its due, the NARGC have certainly managed to get some decent air time.

If ever there was a time for everyone to put some pressure on their local politicans, it's right now, IMHO.

Thinking out loud here for a moment, the FG lads might be only too happy to get involved in this, and be seen to be trying to help, in an effort to deflect from the mess that Leo has got them all into.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

garrettod wrote: »
    Credit where its due, the NARGC have certainly managed to get some decent air time.

If ever there was a time for everyone to put some pressure on their local politicans, it's right now, IMHO.

Thinking out loud here for a moment, the FG lads might be only too happy to get involved in this, and be seen to be trying to help, in an effort to deflect from the mess that Leo has got them all into.

FG reckon its ryan and the greens kicking up the stink over leo the leak. At this rate there could be an election by chrimbo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭Stonehall9

Are you serious? That **** storm on the news makes us look like a bunch of slaughtering rednecks, what fu****g gun club has birds in a pen on the 2nd of November for Jesus sake, did nothing to highlight our cause, if anything it made it even less important

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Stonehall9 wrote: »
    Are you serious? That **** storm on the news makes us look like a bunch of slaughtering rednecks, what fu****g gun club has birds in a pen on the 2nd of November for Jesus sake, did nothing to highlight our cause, if anything it made it even less important

I think we all know and understand that quite a few clubs don’t release all birds at once but keep a few to be released early in December for the second biggest day of the season Steven’s Day.

I think we all know and understand that quite a few clubs don’t release all birds at once but keep a few to be released early in December for the second biggest day of the season Steven’s Day.

Not down this way lad , every club has their birds out middle of October at the very latest , sure where’s the hunting in birds like that, practically tame at that stage .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭J.R.

531897.jpg

531898.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Stonehall9 wrote: »
    Not down this way lad , every club has their birds out middle of October at the very latest , sure where’s the hunting in birds like that, practically tame at that stage .

I hold back and do two releases one start of season and then towards the back end as its ending, if your on top of the vermin its a good way to introduce strong birds into the countryside in February as they start to pair off.
    Put out 1 cock and 3 hens, wormed and keep the feeders going with wheat till the weather is warmer. I have had great success over the years. Not every bird is for shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭clawback07

J.R. wrote: »
    531897.jpg

531898.jpg
    Just been on the Nargc website and cannot find this , cannot find any reference to anything about the season being cancelled , have to go through all the b.s about first time logging in to get on the site for what , blurb ?

I hold back and do two releases one start of season and then towards the back end as its ending, if your on top of the vermin its a good way to introduce strong birds into the countryside in February as they start to pair off.
    Put out 1 cock and 3 hens, wormed and keep the feeders going with wheat till the weather is warmer. I have had great success over the years. Not every bird is for shooting.
    Were only a small club but we released 550 cocks and hens this year, mostly out from bantams, hardy birds and we’ve been at it last 5 years, we have a great population of birds from it, I met 19 birds on the last day of the season last year, but were on top of vermin which is the most important thing. Keep feeders filled and foxes shot and helps a lot

• Advertisement

Thanks for posting that letter, JR.

I was delighted to read the closing lines, they were entirely appropriate and hopefully not the only flexing of the NARGC:s muscles, that we'll see.

Thanks,

G.

This was issued a few hours ago...

NARGC STATEMENT – 6.11.’20

PROHIBITION ON GAME HUNTING

Further to our Statement issued last Monday, November 2nd, we have been working hard every day meantime to seek to remove the prohibition on rough shooting as currently applies, It is important to emphasise that we are not seeking an exemption in this matter. We are merely asking Government and An Garda Síochána to recognise/announce on their Website that rough shooting, as carried out on an individual basis, in compliance with current Level 5 restrictions, i.e. within 5 klms of home, is not prohibited by the S.I. 448 of the 2020 Regulations.

All we want is that if a person and their dog wander down the fields (staying within 5 klms of home) and they happen to shoot a pheasant, that that of itself is not breaking the law. It really is that simple.

NARGC has had this matter raised in the Dáil and has been in touch with An Taoiseach, various Government Ministers, and politicians during the week, all to no avail. We have also been working with our Legal Advisors to advance our next significant move and we are firmly proceeding on this course of action.

You will probably be aware that the Courts are operating to a limited capacity and this is proving to be a slight issue. Nevertheless, we are on the cusp of our next move and suffice it to say we will issue a further statement when it is appropriate to do so. We expect you will appreciate the sensitivities associated with this situation.

Dan Curley
    National Chairman
    NARGC

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭berettaman

NARGC STATEMENT - 09 NOVEMBER 2020
    PROHIBITION ON RECREATIONAL HUNTING

Immediately on the announcement by the Gardaí of a ban on pheasant shooting on Thursday 29 October 2020, the Association contacted the Garda Commissioner, the Office of the Taoiseach, the Minister for Justice and the Minister for Health to express its opposition to the alleged ban.
    The Association then obtained legal advice, which indicated that any shooter, who engaged in rough shooting on his/her own in order to exercise and complied with current Level 5 restrictions, was not acting in contravention of the current Regulations contained in SI 448/2020.
    The Association immediately furnished this advice to the Commissioner and the Ministers. No response was received from them other than to say that shooting did not come within any exemption under the Regulations.
    On Saturday 31 October 2020, the Association published a statement, calling on shooters not to engage in rough shooting even though the Association believed that the Commissioner and the Minsters had wrongly interpreted the Regulations.
    On Tuesday 3 November 2020, the Association’s Solicitors called on the Commissioner to furnish a clarification that rough shooting carried out on an individual basis, in compliance with Level 5 restrictions, is not prohibited by SI 448/220. Again, the only response was that rough shooting did not come within any exemption under the Regulations.
    On Monday 9 November 2020, the Association’s lawyers made an application to the High Court for Leave to apply for a Judicial Review. The application was made in a test case initiated by John Flannery, a member of the Association’s National Executive Committee and was heard by Mr. Justice Charles Meenan. Our Counsel told the Judge that the Association believes that a rough shooter, who complies with Level 5 restrictions and shoots for the purpose of exercise, does not infringe the Regulations, and asked for an early hearing date. Mr. Justice Meenan explained that the application could not be dealt with for a number of weeks and noted that Level 5 restrictions might be lifted in December. Despite the request for an early date, the Judge decided to adjourn the application to 8 December 2020.
    The NARGC has at all times been acting in a fair and responsible manner, and we thank our members for their support in these difficult times.

The NARGC will continue to engage with Government Officials and Politicians at the highest level, and we ask all our members to continue to engage with their local Politicians.
    A further Statement will issue as soon as further developments arise.

Well, as it stands the Association is awaiting lifting of the restrictions when level 5 lifts. If that doesn't happen they already have a court date.;)

Sounds like that Judge was playing a smart game, but setting the date after the L5 lockdown is expected to have lifted :(

Thanks,

G.

Sounds like that Judge was playing a smart game, but setting the date after the L5 lockdown is expected to have lifted :(

The usual irish cute-hoorism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭bluezulu49

tudderone wrote: »
    The usual irish cute-hoorism.

Much as I would like to agree with you Tudderone, I think it likely that that was the earliest free date for a hearing in the High Court.

bluezulu49 wrote: »
    Much as I would like to agree with you Tudderone, I think it likely that that was the earliest free date for a hearing in the High Court.

That’s probably quite true, a month is a very short time in court calendars. Four weeks would be a routine adjournment. Of course it probably comes with the added hope on the Judge’s behalf of not having to open a can of worms.

That’s probably quite true, a month is a very short time in court calendars. Four weeks would be a routine adjournment. Of course it probably comes with the added hope on the Judge’s behalf of not having to open a can of worms.

The judges are in enough bother as it is. But on another point, what actual powers do the government have to virtually shut things down and forbid you to travel etc ?

The NARGC is urging members to get in touch with TD’s and Ministers in their constituencies ahead of party meetings to be held soon.

I’ve personally emailed Minister Damien English.

Urgent Action Required.

Contact your FF and FG TD's

We have become aware that the Above parties are holding both party Meetings, and Government meetings, this evening and in the immediate days. We are also aware that very few of those TD's have spoke up at these meetings on our behalf.

Our message is simple, we want to go out alone within 5KM of our house, for exercise and our wellbeing both mental and physical health. It is that simple. The Garda Website wrongly depicts what we do, its erroneous from the start, but neither the Commissioner or the Minister for Justice seem to want to correct this error.

The Gardaí have failed to show us the advice or the rationale for relying on this misleading information. Ask your TD specifically are they going to raise it. If they want more or specific information on this, give them my email, or get theirs and I will email them. Please Act on this, because if they continue to lump us in with all the Clubs, or event type activity, we do not know when or where this will end.

Dan Curley
    National Chairman
    NARGC

• Advertisement

This is dead right, decisions are being made this week.

Time to hit them hard.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Sent email to both the TD's and Senator in my District.
    Asked them to confirm to me that they would "use their offices as a rural TD/Senator" to have the ban lifted immediately.

Bit stupid when you see the carry on in Dublin, people in their dozens in a big crowd drinking in south william street, at the weekend. But a lad cannot head out on his own or maybe with someone from their family to shoot game locally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭mallards

I emailed my TDs. If you don't ask now when will we ask.

Dear sir,

I'm writing to you with concern over the ongoing restrictions to pheasant shooting raised recently in the Dail. As I hunter myself we feel we have been left in limbo over the incorrect interpretation of the guidelines by An Garda Siochana. Our pastime is carried out by a lone person or a parent and their child in the wide open spaces of the countryside. It's a release to the people who engage in it across the wide open spaces, especially here in Wicklow through the winter months. An Garda Siochana assume that we mostly practice driven shooting in Ireland where a dozen or more members travel to a place and shoot mostly pheasants. This is certainly the case in England, which possibly they are using as an example, but Ireland is thankfully very different. Across all the parishes of Ireland, small community gun clubs with many older members spend their day out alone or with a close friend or son or daughter. There are driven shoots in Ireland and are also well managed and safe although as has been said, usually requires people to travel beyond 5kms to attend them as they are few and far between, so I do not include them for that reason in this request. The suspension has meant all forms of shooting have now stopped, including deer which as I'm sure you know has particular relevance here in Wicklow, providing the best venison for the family table. We are law abiding citizens, always have been, and full supporters of the nations efforts to bring this pandemic under control and our full backing to those front line workers who battle it every day. But in our own little corner, all we ask is that a person and their kid or a close friend can go hunting with their dog within 5kms of their home and maybe sometimes bring home a pheasant or a deer or other legal quarry back to the family table.

Kindest regards,

Mallards

Minister English’s office has acknowledged receipt of my e-mail.

I would urge everyone who wants to write to their local representatives to write their own message.

Nothing is as easily dismissed as a copy paste job, it’s a typical screaming banshee monster raving loony technique.

I think a well phrased individual message from a genuine constituant and potential voter will hold a lot more sway and will be a lot harder to dismiss.

berettaman wrote: »
    Well, as it stands the Association is awaiting lifting of the restrictions when level 5 lifts. If that doesn't happen they already have a court date.;)

Yep, and by my read of it has marked the cards of the Government.

Minister English’s office has acknowledged receipt of my e-mail.

I would urge everyone who wants to write to their local representatives to write their own message.

Nothing is as easily dismissed as a copy paste job, it’s a typical screaming banshee monster raving loony technique.

I think a well phrased individual message from a genuine constituant and potential voter will hold a lot more sway and will be a lot harder to dismiss.

Spot on!Personalise the message.

It is fair to say that FF and FG TD's and Senators have been fairly bombarded in the last 24 hours.
    We are getting good at this but it is stupid that we have to do it given the carry on in Dublin with the pints and all that.
    Unfortunately we have to get better. Hunters will have to fight like hell in the years ahead to hold onto their sport.

Spot on!Personalise the message.

It is fair to say that FF and FG TD's and Senators have been fairly bombarded in the last 24 hours.
    We are getting good at this but it is stupid that we have to do it given the carry on in Dublin with the pints and all that.
    Unfortunately we have to get better. Hunters will have to fight like hell in the years ahead to hold onto their sport.

Good, make the gits work for their money for once.

MESSAGE FROM NARGC

Mep's Vote on Lead Shot next Monday 23.11.20

Next Monday all the Mep's vote on this Restriction proposal in the European Parliament, to restrict the use of lead shot over wetlands. The proposal is on our website.

It is important we all contact the Mep's in our areas. Contacting then as a individual, or club is good.

This Vote is to stop this proposal and send it back to the European Commission. It requires 50% support to succeed.

If you require details of the Mep's in your area please go to the website - Campaigns - lead shot, where you will find their details.

There is also a template letter there, which you can amend as you please, outlining the serious problems with this proposal.

This vote will be tight, but there is a chance we could succeed.

Please contact your Mep's, ASAP, as Monday is not far away.

Dan Curley
    National Chairman
    NARGC

Email gone to all of my MEPs.

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement

Clare Daly has responded.

Unfortunitely, she has signaled that she will not be aiding our cause.

While not the response that I was hoping for, at least she was open and honest about her position.

It will be interesting to see who else pays me the courtesy, of a response. Likewise, I look forward to hearing how the rest of you get on.

Thanks,

G.

While not the response that I was hoping for, at least she was open and honest about her position.

It will be interesting to see who else pays me the courtesy, of a response. Likewise, I look forward to hearing how the rest of you got on.

Quelle surprise. Did you tell her it would be evil capitalists prising lead shot from the work weary hands of the hungry downtrodden poor ?

Mick Wallace has also stated that he will not be aiding our cause

Mick Wallace has also stated that he will not be aiding our cause

And him a rural man :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭richiedel123

Mick Wallace is voting for it along with grace o Sullivan. Bill kelleher will be voting against it. He is all for a lead ban he said but not the way it is worded at the minute.

534389.png

NARGC won the JR in court. That should shug up some of the empty vessels out there. Sports Coalition of Vested Interests back the givernemnt as did Country Sports Ireland. NARGC.

Great news and well done to the lads on all the hard work. Telling us what we all knew:

“It is confirmed that an individual, who engaged in lawful rough shooting for the purpose of exercise, on his/her own, during the currency of Level 5 restrictions, did not contravene the Health Act 1947 (Section 31A – Temporary Restrictions) (Covid-19) (No 8) Regulations 2020, S.I. 448 of 2020, provided the individual complied with those Regulations including the requirement that any exercise take place within 5 kms of his/her place of residence.”

Fair play to NARGC for fighting this given other organisations lay down and accepted it.:rolleyes:

We all knew it was wrong, even the Gardai.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

As said on the other thread, well done to all involved.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

NARGC Statement 31.12.’20

regarding Level 5
    Covid 19 Restrictions

See attached Statement from An Taoiseach, Mr. Micheal Martin, TD

https://merrionstreet.ie/en/news-room/news/spotlights/statement_-_an_taoiseach_michel_martin_-_move_to_full_level_5.html

These further restrictions to a full Level 5 are significant to us, as follows:
    The only game or recreational shooting activity we can now engage in, is rough shooting done within 5km of our place of residence.
    This must be done on our own or with someone from our family bubble.

The NARGC urges all its Members to employ common sense and personal responsibility.
    All HSE Guidelines and good practices must always be strictly followed.

Covid-19 infection rates have spiked in recent days, and while we know our activity is very safe, we must always ensure our activities, from when we leave our dwelling until we return, do not contribute in any way to the spread of the virus.

Stay safe, and hopefully 2021 will be better.

Dan Curley
    NATIONAL CHAIRMAN

Gameshot Magazine out today.

Well done to all concerned, nice job!!

Also for twitter users @nargc11 official NARGC twitter page.

Is that the first of those magazines ? I have only been with the NARGC a year so don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

tudderone wrote: »
    Is that the first of those magazines ? I have only been with the NARGC a year so don't know.

No, there is one issued every year for the last few years

Glanced through it today and read some of it -

Looks to be a lot of good, interesting articles in this issue.

Plenty of reading in it.

A lot of work & research gone into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Willow2009

I agree, a great booklet, “ BUT” wouldn’t it be better in an envelope so it isn’t seen by the postal services, indicating the possibility of firearms at a certain address ??, Just thinking out loud.
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Max H

I emailed NARGC re the magazine being in clear plastic yesterday. Got a reply back today, will try to cut and paste it

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Max H

Hi and thank you for your email.

The NARGC has been distributing its annual magazine, GameShot, in this packaging format for more than

10 years and so we would, by now, have distributed more than 250,000 of our magazines. To date, nobody

bar yourself, has offered complaint about this aspect. We will take your comments on board and assess the

situation.

Of course if you wish to discontinue receiving GameShot, do let us know.

Kind regards,

Chris Gavican

MAGAZINE EDITOR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Willow2009 wrote: »
    I agree, a great booklet, “ BUT” wouldn’t it be better in an envelope so it isn’t seen by the postal services, indicating the possibility of firearms at a certain address ??, Just thinking out loud.
    M

When I renew my licence I tell the guy in the post office to close his eyes so he doesn't see my address and I wear my tinfoil hat.
    Works a treat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭smmember20

Max H wrote: »
    Hi and thank you for your email.

The NARGC has been distributing its annual magazine, GameShot, in this packaging format for more than

10 years and so we would, by now, have distributed more than 250,000 of our magazines. To date, nobody

bar yourself, has offered complaint about this aspect. We will take your comments on board and assess the

situation.

Of course if you wish to discontinue receiving GameShot, do let us know.

Kind regards,

Chris Gavican

MAGAZINE EDITOR.

Not an unreasonable observation in the current climate, after all all you need is to have a dog in your house to be a target of criminals, when now that you can easily be identifed as a gun owner by way of the mail sent by a national organisation always talking about protecting their members............well maybe a change in the 10 years of doing the same thing needs a little more investigation than fob of with we will assess the situation, a blind man can tell that there is increased security risk from such, even the Gardai recomend not putting stickers on your car that would ientify you as a firearms owner!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement