Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From a Christmas Pudding to a Christmas Cracker - Weight Loss Motivation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

No room for turbo trainer here (folks are here so no spare room) or the time to be honest. A run is great for the mind and takes 90 min max.

I do miss my turbo trainer though. Mine used to eat my back tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Odeta

Jude13 wrote: »
    No room for turbo trainer here (folks are here so no spare room) or the time to be honest. A run is great for the mind and takes 90 min max.

I do miss my turbo trainer though. Mine used to eat my back tyre.

What’s a turbo trainer Jude13?

Its a gyro type contraption that you can put a race bike on. Your back wheel is basically on a treadmill (depending on the type of trainer)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Any recommendations for a turbo trainer lads? It’s probably a no go for me anyway. Even the cheap ones look a bit expensive for me to get it to see if I’d like it

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Odeta

Its a gyro type contraption that you can put a race bike on. Your back wheel is basically on a treadmill (depending on the type of trainer)

Thanks Jude13. A bike and a treadmill ... no wonder I hadn’t heard of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,166 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Odeta wrote: »
    Thanks Jude13. A bike and a treadmill ... no wonder I hadn’t heard of it!

The big part is the bike in fairness, all mine does is essentially raise the rear wheel & provide a surface for the wheel to interract with & record distance, speed etc to calculate a few different settings. Some are way more complicated (& expensive!!)
    I was lucky, i got mine second hand off a cycling fanatic mate who upgraded his after a few weeks of using this one. SO i got it for a steal basically.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

First proper workout since before Christmas done and dusted.

Will feel it tomorrow however have to start somewhere.

DvB wrote: »
    The big part is the bike in fairness, all mine does is essentially raise the rear wheel & provide a surface for the wheel to interract with & record distance, speed etc to calculate a few different settings. Some are way more complicated (& expensive!!)
    I was lucky, i got mine second hand off a cycling fanatic mate who upgraded his after a few weeks of using this one. SO i got it for a steal basically.

Ditto for me, I had a hand me down from a house mate who had upgraded. Mine had no speed or distance, and not adjustment setting whilst riding. The good old days.

Ditto for me, I had a hand me down from a house mate who had upgraded. Mine had no speed or distance, and not adjustment setting whilst riding. The good old days.

Funnily enough I still prefer the exercise bike I have. Got a decent programmable one a few years ago, (similar to those peleton ones you see on the tv) and its great in the winter when the weather is awful & the mrs doesn't want a bike brought in from the shed outside. I use it whilst watching TV in the evenings & its great, I seem to get a far better workout on that than on the turbo trainer too funnily enough. Can see myself getting rid of the TT soon TBH as I'm using it less & less.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Finally got a run in last night and I'm pleasantly surprised how it went. I didn't die. :pac:

It was my first run in a long long time, just before Christmas and all after I've just been walking, I find walking more relaxing and time with my own thoughts,etc. and before Christmas I was feeling stressed and after Christmas I was busy in work that I felt like I needed to relax and enjoy the walks.

When I'm running I don't really relax as much or take it all in, I'm rushing to get it done so I can get the exercise over with and most of my thoughts are "don't die, don't die"

I just feel like I need to run now, I've really noticed the gut growing since Christmas so I want to try and shake that as fast as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,358 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I would love to be able to run. I tried Couch 2 5k last year and made it all of the way to the penultimate week but when it came to the final week my shins were killing me. The road seems to be a bit too harsh for me and there isn't anywhere else to run where I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Mutleyboo

Wk 1: -1lb
    Wk 2: -2.5lb
    Wk 3: 0
    Stayed the same this week. I completely fell off the wagon yesterday with dominos and other crap. The little one was wide awake from 1am to 5am so I had no strength or will power to be good or cook. It was pure survival! Started good again today so here's to a new week..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Down 2 again this week.

It’s was one year this week since I started on SlimmingWorld and have lost a total of 2st 13lb. Hopefully hit the 3st next week!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

kitten_k wrote: »
    Down 2 again this week.

It’s was one year this week since I started on SlimmingWorld and have lost a total of 2st 13lb. Hopefully hit the 3st next week!

That’s amazing well done!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I have fallen badly this week. My period arrived 8 days EARLY ffs. I’ve really struggled with life.

Tomorrow is another day so try try again

Had a veery bad week this week, ate all around me. Had an Indian for dinner yesterday and 2 big helpings of baileys cheesecake. Afraid to get on the scales in the morning as I know I'm well up judging by my gut.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm getting takeaway this weekend- and skipped my last 2 weigh ins... things are going well.

Roll on February! :pac:

Posy wrote: »
    I'm getting takeaway this weekend- and skipped my last 2 weigh ins... things are going well.

Roll on February! :pac:

Think ill skip my own tomorrow, it'll just depress me and I can do without that atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

January doesn’t exist in 2021 - so it’ll be dry February and healthy eating then! Coping with homeschooling is more than enough for non January

Amazing Kitten_k!
    I just polished off a Chinese and I've no excuse this time except I wanted too...

• Advertisement

January doesn’t exist in 2021 - so it’ll be dry February and healthy eating then! Coping with homeschooling is more than enough for non January

So we’re all agreed then tomorrow is the 23rd of void then. And we’ll start again Monday week.

Loughc wrote: »
    So we’re all agreed then tomorrow is the 23rd of void then. And we’ll start again Monday week.

I'm on board with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I’ll go with that too. Dry February and lent will see us through until the start of April.

Week 1 -1.5lb
    Week 2 -0.5lb

I think that weight loss shows the level of care I have this month for weight loss. :D

The only thing that swung it for me was the exercise. Getting a takeaway tonight and I’m not even sorry. February will be better.... right.

Genuinely surprised to see me down 2lbs this week. Have no idea how as my clothes don't feel that way! Maybe all that cycling did help (did 150km on the bike last week)

I'll try and log them as others do above starting from last week as the rest are history. Though all are relative to my pre Christmas weight on the 19th Dec. So week one will pick up the gains from that date.

Week 1 = +5 lbs
    Week 2 = -2 lbs

I'm getting a takeaway tonight because I can't go out, and am fast running out of food. What can ya do. :D

Posy wrote: »
    I'm getting a takeaway tonight because I can't go out, and am fast running out of food. What can ya do. :D

You have a big decision here posy.... a very big decision...

Indian or Chinese?

I opted for Chinese, but they mucked up the order and had to come back later, somewhat messing around my evening. :rolleyes:

Ive been eating and drinking all around me with the folks here so up to 84kg.

I was hoping to run this week but Im pretty certain I broke my toe yesterday. Its the third one in on my left foot, the middle toe. It is black, not purple, black. I have broken quite a few in the past and apart from when I broke my big toe, just taped to the one beside it and let it heal. Hope it works this time.

Folks leave Wednesday, diet starts Thursday.

• Advertisement

Ive been eating and drinking all around me with the folks here so up to 84kg.

I was hoping to run this week but Im pretty certain I broke my toe yesterday. Its the third one in on my left foot, the middle toe. It is black, not purple, black. I have broken quite a few in the past and apart from when I broke my big toe, just taped to the one beside it and let it heal. Hope it works this time.

Folks leave Wednesday, diet starts Thursday.

Oh yikes, you poor thing! I hope it's not too painful, and you recover soon!

I've been quite stressed so I've been having lots of comfort food, so I wasn't entirely surprised to see that I'm up 1kg, I am surprised it wasn't more to be honest. Diet starts today :(

Advertisement