Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Abortion Discussion, Part the Fourth

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I fully respect and support your right to stand on a street and hand out banners and leaflets. I do not support your "right" to do so outside GP offices or maternity hospitals.
    There is a time and place of everything. Know your audience.
    Maternity hospitals and GP offices are not appropriate locations for you to "protest" something that has absolutely nothing to do with you.

As I said before, with a bit of mutual respect there is no need for either side to impose on those who don't agree with them, but you just can't see that.

As for the bolded, don't be so patronising. Your opinion is neither more valid nor important than mine just because you are older.
    Don't flatter yourself.

But you simply don’t get to say which public spaces I can and cannot enter. There’s no point in even getting into a debate about it.
    Once you dictate that I can’t stand in Holles St or over in the street outside the Coombe you’ll have set a precedent that will unravel the free society that people fought and died for us to enjoy.
    The Taoiseach has conceded that even in the last few days.
    It’s only your opinion that the right to life of the unborn has nothing to do with me. There are 700000 of us here in Ireland alone who don’t agree with you, maybe more. You’ll have your hands full trying to silence that volume of voices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

splinter65 wrote: »
    But you simply don’t get to say which public spaces I can and cannot enter. There’s no point in even getting into a debate about it.
    Once you dictate that I can’t stand in Holles St or over in the street outside the Coombe you’ll have set a precedent that will unravel the free society that people fought and died for us to enjoy.
    It’s only your opinion that the right to life of the unborn has nothing to do with me. There are 700000 of us here in Ireland alone who don’t agree with you, maybe more. You’ll have your hands full trying to silence that volume of voices.

No one is saying you can’t stand there. Who said anything about entering?
    You can go wherever you please.
    You just can’t protest wherever the mood takes you. Outside a maternity hospital is not an appropriate location to protest about abortion being wrong.
    My right to avail of medical services without interference or harassment supersedes your right to pontificate about how you think you know what’s good for me better than I do.
    It’s that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭Odhinn

The government allowed itself to be dictated to be the Catholic Church because that’s what the people wanted right at that time.

....so you admit that there was no "opt out" clause for protestants, liberal catholics, non believers etc.

Because it’s what people want right now the government is being dictated to by the liberal left... to the point where the Taoiseach is afraid to comment on the murder of all the Catholics in Sri Lanka (more Catholics were murdered then the Muslims in the mosque in NZ, twice as many) for fear of offending them.

You've evidence of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Nobody is trying to silence anyone, less of the persecution complex please.
    You don't get to try and dictate what healthcare services others access. It's hilarious how you only take issue with restrictions when they affect you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Your right. No one can stop you protesting outside a hospital or doctors office if you want. But don't be disingenuous about it. Be honest about the true intention, you don't give a damn about women -what woman in crisis would go anywhere near a person waving a prolife placard - your intention is to shame women, scare them and intimidate medical staff in the naive hope they will stop providing abortions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,141 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

eviltwin wrote: »
    Your right. No one can stop you protesting outside a hospital or doctors office if you want. But don't be disingenuous about it. Be honest about the true intention, you don't give a damn about women -what woman in crisis would go anywhere near a person waving a prolife placard - your intention is to shame women, scare them and intimidate medical staff in the naive hope they will stop providing abortions.

the protesters are 100% honest about their intention.their intention is not as you claim.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

the protesters are 100% honest about their intention.their intention is not as you claim.

What's their intention?

What's their intention?

to highlight the cruelty and barbarity of abortion on demand. to show how unnecessary it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

what evidence do you have to support that?

to highlight the cruelty and barbarity of abortion on demand. to show how unnecessary it is

And how is making that point to women end route to an abortion in any way helpful?

• Advertisement

what evidence do you have to support that?

any time i have heard such people been

spoken to via various talk radio that is the intentions they state, with the opposites who claim otherwise being unable to show otherwise.

What evidence do you have to support that?

And how is making that point to women end route to an abortion in any way helpful?

presumably it might make at least 1 person see the reality of what they are doing. perhapse an actual protester would be the best to give you an answer however.

presumably it might make at least 1 person see the reality of what they are doing. perhapse an actual protester would be the best to give you an answer however.

How does some randomer waving a placard help a woman in crisis?

You seem very clued in on their intentions. What evidence do you have to support what you are sasying?

How does some randomer waving a placard help a woman in crisis?

perhapse it might make them realise the reality that killing an unborn human being who is healthy, and when the mother's life isn't in danger, is completely wrong and unjustifiable.

perhapse it might make them realise the reality that killing an unborn human being who is healthy, and when the mother's life isn't in danger, is completely wrong and unjustifiable.

So you've no interest in addressing the issues that led them to that decision, you just want them to think their a baby killer. At least you're honest about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

You’ve ignored my question a few times, usually that means that you’ve been caught out by your own contradictory posts.

Here it is again.

The reason I’m asking is your answer (or lack of) goes a long to determining your bona fides.
    amcalester wrote: »
    What about crossing a picket line as a form of protest? Would you respect a persons right to do that?

Or do you still think such a person should expect to be met with physical force to stop them crossing the picket?

So you've no interest in addressing the issues that led them to that decision, you just want them to think their a baby killer. At least you're honest about it

that is not correct. it is you who has made that claim which is inaccurate.
    You’ve ignored my question a few times, usually that means that you’ve been caught out by your own contradictory posts.

Here it is again.

The reason I’m asking is your answer (or lack of) goes a long to determining your bona fides.

i have ignored it because it's irrelevant and is a line of discussion going nowhere. nothing to do with your claim of me supposebly being caught out by contradictions which hasn't happened. so i will not be answering this specific question as it is not abortion related.

• Advertisement

that is not correct. it is you who has made that claim which is inaccurate..

So explain to me how an "abortion is murder" placard is of any help to the woman in crisis

i have ignored it because it's irrelevant and is a line of going nowhere. nothing to do with your claim of me supposebly being caught out by contradictions which hasn't happened. so i will not be answering this specific question as it is not abortion related.

What evidence do you have to support any of what you are saying?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You’ll have your hands full trying to silence that volume of voices.

You honestly think that many people are will to protest outside GPs and hospitals?if you do then you are in cloud cuckoo land.

Most people see the zealots outside hospitals picketing with rosary etc as nut bags. They are a very small minority fringe group.

i have ignored it because it's irrelevant and is a line of discussion going nowhere. nothing to do with your claim of me supposebly being caught out by contradictions which hasn't happened. so i will not be answering this specific question as it is not abortion related.

That’s very disingenuous, the topic also includes protests and you are against limiting individuals or groups right to protest, except when there is a strike involved.

You have opposing viewpoints depending on the situation. That’s a contradiction.

Same as your view that abortion is wrong, except in cases of rape. Or if it happens abroad.

Very inconsistent viewpoints.

Of course I could be wrong and you do support people’s right to cross a picket.

Ah yes, cause all these silly women signed up for abortions with no idea what they were getting themselves into and did no research on the procedure whatsoever.
    They probably thought it was the latest beauty treatment lols!

But luckily you’ll be standing nearby on hand to inform them of the ‘reality’ that they’re evil murderers.
    Saving them from themselves, because they don’t know any better and are incapable of making an informed choice about their own medical care.

You and your ilk are modern day saints, really.

That’s very disingenuous, the topic also includes protests and you are against limiting individuals or groups right to protest, except when there is a strike involved.

You have opposing viewpoints depending on the situation. That’s a contradiction.

Same as your view that abortion is wrong, except in cases of rape. Or if it happens abroad.

the word you are looking for is hypocritical

• Advertisement

So explain to me how an "abortion is murder" placard is of any help to the woman in crisis

i answered that in post 117.

abortion that happens abroad is 100% wrong. i have never stated otherwise.
    Ah yes, cause all these silly women signed up for abortions with no idea what they were getting themselves into and did no research on the procedure whatsoever.
    They probably thought it was the latest beauty treatment lols!

But luckily you’ll be standing nearby on hand to inform them of the ‘reality’ that they’re evil murderers.
    Saving them from themselves, because they don’t know any better and are incapable of making an informed choice about their own medical care.

You and your ilk are modern day saints, really.

i am not involved in the protests myself. nobody is a saint. however yes i do believe the protesters simply wish to right a wrong and are mostly good people at heart.

Apologies I was under the impression, and I may be remembering it incorrectly, that you supported a woman’s right to travel for the purposes of acquiring an abortion.

But regardless, you say 100% wrong, only you’ll make an exception for rape cases.

Apologies I was under the impression, and I may be remembering it incorrectly, that you supported a woman’s right to travel for the purposes of acquiring an abortion.

But regardless, you say 100% wrong, only you’ll make an exception for rape cases.

no it is FFA cases or where the mother's life is in danger. i separate those out from abortion on demand.

It's very much abortion related, in terms of your posts, but you don't seem to have the answer or don't want to answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

So what about a healthy unborn human being who was conceived out of rape, why are you so “welcoming” (in layman’s terms) of a termination in the case of rape?

Why does the scenario of conception differentiate your views on abortion when both mother and unborn are healthy?

Why is the woman who aborts a healthy child conceived out of consensual intercourse a killer, yet the woman who aborts a healthy child out of rape, not a killer?

• Advertisement

i am not involved in the protests myself. nobody is a saint. however yes i do believe the protesters simply wish to right a wrong and are mostly good people at heart.

How totally patronizing.
    The women seeking terminations don’t need the intervention of any soapboxers.
    It’s no ones business except the woman’s and nobody has the authority to determine whether the choice she is making is wrong or right except her.

They should simply live their own lives as they see fit and stop involving themselves in other peoples private business.

You need to understand the difference between your opinion and reality

i answered that in post 117.

Then they would be protesting outside the dail, where the people with the power to "right the wrong" are.

How totally patronizing.
    The women seeking terminations don’t need the intervention of any soapboxers.
    It’s no ones business except the woman’s and nobody has the authority to determine whether the choice she is making is wrong or right except her.

They should simply live their own lives as they see fit and stop involving themselves in other peoples private business.

obviously that is not possible given the life of an unborn human being is being ended, most likely unnecessarily. while such continues to happen there will be people who are opposed to it. that is just how it is

That poster has already clarified that rape isn't a reason for an abortion.

Then they would be protesting outside the dail, where the people with the power to "right the wrong" are.

they can do that as well if that is what they wish to do.

In their opinion, but it's also their opinion that their views take precedence over the health care of everyone else along with their freedom of choice.

The poster in particular has flip flopped numerous times on actually making a decision on "allowing" abortion in rape and incestuous scenarios, for very, very obvious reasons, they are declining to actually commit 100% to a statement.

Yes, seems I got that wrong.

It doesn’t explain his contradictory views on protesting.

perhapse it might make them realise the reality that killing an unborn human being who is healthy, and when the mother's life isn't in danger, is completely wrong and unjustifiable in my opinion

Fixed your post.

• Advertisement

DubInMeath wrote: »
    In their opinion, but it's also their opinion that their views take precedence over the health care of everyone else along with their freedom of choice.

sorry i meant to say in their opinion, i don't agree with it.

they can do that as well if that is what they wish to do.

but why aren't they? because they cant try and impede access if camped outside the dail;)

obviously that is not possible given the life of an unborn human being is being ended, most likely unnecessarily. while such continues to happen there will be people who are opposed to it. that is just how it is

Talk about self righteousness.
    You can oppose it all you want, you just can’t interfere or harass people who choose differently to you.
    They aren’t breaking any laws and are procuring a legal, standard medical procedure.
    That’s just how it is.

If you must protest, which I totally support, do so on O’Connell St, Dáil Éireann or outside your local TD office.
    Leave the women & couples outside maternity hospitals & GP clinics alone.

The fact that you even feel entitled to have a say in other peoples private matters is astounding.

Yes, seems I got that wrong.

It doesn’t explain his contradictory views on protesting.

They have also claimed never to have contradicted themselves in all their posts on boards:eek::eek:

EOTR - if you say "abortion is murder", you're saying that it's the unlawful killing of another human being, correct?

Except abortion is legal and legislated for, with the definition of human being not applying to those who are unborn.

How is it murder? Is it a fact that it's murder (i.e it is defined and set out in the constitution or law that terminating an unborn is murder) or is it your opinion that it is murder?

If it is in fact murder, how come we aren't arresting all of these murderers?

They have also claimed never to have contradicted themselves in all their posts on boards:eek::eek:

I honestly believe that that poster is a very dishonest poster and posts blatant contradictory statements and then when called out on it either refuses to engage or runs away and hides.

but why aren't they? because they cant try and impede access if camped outside the dailwink.png

i wouldn't think that is the reason, assuming they have decided they won't protest outside the dail. i think you would be best putting the questions to someone involved in the protests who could give you a definite answer.

Talk about self righteousness.
    You can oppose it all you want, you just can’t interfere or harass people who choose differently to you.
    They aren’t breaking any laws and are procuring a legal, standard medical procedure.
    That’s just how it is.

If you must protest, which I totally support, do so on O’Connell St, Dáil Éireann or outside your local TD office.
    Leave the women & couples outside maternity hospitals & GP clinics alone.

The fact that you even feel entitled to have a say in other peoples private matters is astounding.

i don't interfere with or harass anyone nor am i involved in the protests. however people who wish to protest an issue will generally protest outside the buildings where the issue they are against is taking place, that is standard protest practice whether one likes it or agrees with it.

i wouldn't think that is the reason, assuming they have decided they won't protest outside the dail. i think you would be best putting the questions to someone involved in the protests who could give you a definite answer.
    But yet you claim they are 100% honest about their intentions? So while not being a protestor you know with certainty their intentions for acting but haven't a clue about their inactions?

But yet you claim they are 100% honest about their intentions? So while not being a protestor you know with certainty their intentions for acting but haven't a clue about their inactions?

yes . as i see it, the majority of people get involved in protest movements for reasons of good. they feel strongly about the issue and want to change things. they care and want to bring about the greater good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭volchitsa

yes . as i see it, the majority of people get involved in protest movements for reasons of good. they feel strongly about the issue and want to change things. they care and want to bring about the greater good.

The white supremacists who wanted to stop black children being allowed into "white" schools in the US would have thought that described them to a T.

Doesn't mean it's true though. What they are doing is as important as why they think they are doing it, and intimidating and demeaning women at a vulnerable moment in their lives makes that a dubious call.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

Advertisement