Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mart Price Tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Ballinasloe today. Good year and half ch heifers making from €2.25/kg.
    No buyers for AA or black white head cattle. Some had a lot of movements and poor weight for age, but if l knew more about them they seemed to be worth a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Anyone in Carnew have a board of management meeting and cant make the mart.
    Wondering what 350 to 400kg ch bulls and heifers are making

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Sold a few Jan born SIM bulls this week, 460/500 kg. 900/1200. Very happy with that with the year that is in it. I think quality bulls has come up in the last few weeks but anything plain or light is still back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Who2

Anyone idea what’s the caution with buying heifers in comparison to bulls. There just doesn’t seem to be the same bite in the market as bulls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,351 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Who2 wrote: »
    Anyone idea what’s the caution with buying heifers in comparison to bulls. There just doesn’t seem to be the same bite in the market as bulls.
    Probably due to the lack of forage and the additional cost of it and meal. Bull/bullocks weigh heavier on the hook and therefore you get a better return. Unless you are selling heifers to a local butcher/abattoir there is feck all to be gained feeding them for the main factories - vis a vie €/kg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,133 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

What about Heifers for in June, are they worth a consideration Base.

Any type Heifers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭kk.man

Who2 wrote: »
    Heifers can be short keep if up in the weights. You could push a heifer easier than a bull or bullock. They always take a hit when things go south. Fellas are finishing cattle at much younger ages in recent years.
    However I have a suspicion that they might be worth a gamble for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭sonnybill

I was happy enough with the bulls this year but heifers are waste of time.

Feb Charolais white 400kg E1040
    Mar Charolais yellow 334kg E970
    Mar Charolais yellow 352kg E980
    Mar Charolais yellow 340kg E900

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Sold lm heifer 370 800
    Butty fat type but 5 stars.

For 2018
    Average for bulls 1070.400kgs avg
    Average for heifers 860. 375kgs avg(Only 3 sold,7 kept)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Sold lm heifer 370 800
    Butty fat type but 5 stars.

For 2018
    Average for bulls 1070.400kgs avg
    Average for heifers 860. 375kgs avg(Only 3 sold,7 kept)

There decent averages particularly with the year that's in it. Are you 100% Spring calving?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭pat73

Any one in Kilmallock today.Just wondering/hoping is there any improvement in the Angus/Whitehead weanling trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Calves, runners on fire again in Bandon, two weeks in a row. More farmers out now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,838 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Pidae.m wrote: »
    Calves, runners on fire again in Bandon, two weeks in a row. More farmers out now.

What are Angus calves going for

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    There decent averages particularly with the year that's in it. Are you 100% Spring calving?

No not really. Most were late november. Damn all of a premium for the older calves. 4 were feb they averaged 1050 aswell tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

No not really. Most were late november. Damn all of a premium for the older calves. 4 were feb they averaged 1050 aswell tho.

Ya the more we go down this current road the less and less sense the Autume born calf is making to me. Cows eating all the silage they can with ration on top of it plus the calfs picking away at the creep. V the spring born lad with the cow eating no ration all winter reduced silage calve and out to grass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Who2

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Ya the more we go down this current road the less and less sense the Autume born calf is making to me. Cows eating all the silage they can with ration on top of it plus the calfs picking away at the creep. V the spring born lad with the cow eating no ration all winter reduced silage calve and out to grass.

If the export market doesnt pick up the autumn born is going to get a serious knock. Id intended a full clear out of my autumn calvers this year but with the year thats in it ive still got too many. I was always fond of having the autumn cows for cleaning up behind the spring calvers during the summer and cleaning out the corners of the pit in april.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭degetme

pat73 wrote: »
    Any one in Kilmallock today.Just wondering/hoping is there any improvement in the Angus/Whitehead weanling trade.

the father sold whiteheads 535kg 935e spring 17 born

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Sold two april lim bulls tonight. 280kg €820.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,913 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Sold two april lim bulls tonight. 280kg €820.

Nothing wrong with that. I've a few booked in tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with that. I've a few booked in tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

No then, I'd thought they would be a small bit heavier and make less. Hard to know at times. Was happy with that anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭valtra2

Sold a few tonight Jan 18 Si cross 475 kg 1000euro. Bbx 435kg 975. Abosulate dire prices. At least 200 back on last year. Not looking forward to the next few weeks. The plan to finish all stock myself is looking more and more likely to happen.

A neighbour had 13 chx bulls there aswell out of SIM and lim cows. 280kg-330kg. All march/April calves 840-1000. Can't beat the charolais.

A neighbour had 13 chx bulls there aswell out of SIM and lim cows. 280kg-330kg. All march/April calves 840-1000. Can't beat the charolais.

I do be wondering am I mad pushing my bulls as close to 500kg as possible when lads are getting that money for the light young bulls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I do be wondering am I mad pushing my bulls as close to 500kg as possible when lads are getting that money for the light young bulls.

When you are going to 500, are you as well to push on to 700kg & kill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭valtra2

I do think that myself. But like to keep them going when growing. Only way I see it paying is to finish myself. Less cows and finish bulls u16

• Advertisement

When you are going to 500, are you as well to push on to 700kg & kill?

Probably would be. Not really set up for that yet and I use the bulls to pay for bills etc this time of the year. Maby it's the way to go in a few years. It's hard to turn down a 1000/1200 too and no wintering and feeding too. If I was to put in a 500kg jan bull now what would he want to finish? Fag box figures.

Probably would be. Not really set up for that yet and I use the bulls to pay for bills etc this time of the year. Maby it's the way to go in a few years. It's hard to turn down a 1000/1200 too and no wintering and feeding too. If I was to put in a 500kg jan bull now what would he want to finish? Fag box figures.

470e meal. 4.25 a kg
    100e sialge and mins. 1kg gain for 1st 80 days
    50 euro mortality and injury. 1.7 for last 120
    75 fixed costs. 285+500=785×.56=
    445×4.25=1850 net
    1850-695 costs=1155

470e meal. 4.25 a kg
    100e sialge and mins. 1kg gain for 1st 80 days
    50 euro mortality and injury. 1.7 for last 120
    75 fixed costs. 285+500=785×.56=
    445×4.25=1850 net
    1850-695 costs=1155

Thanks. It's hard to see it paying to feed them when you only have a few and not take the 1000/1200 off the cow now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

General feedback from Carrigallen is ch heifers good, limo heifers bad. Lad from the local village won the overall heifer prize, unsold at 470kg 1200. Next door here had one ch heifer in it 380kg 1080.

Your ground is probably worth a good few kilos compared to what's around here. I'd try and put as much weight on them as I could but don't like to have anything calving before the middle of February. It's mid May here before the grass really gets going and it doesn't suit with the winterage to have them calving any earlier. Cows would be gone dry and into screws trying to rear calves outside. If I had grass in March I'd have them calving at Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 SimmentalT

Hi, any idea what a small bunch of 2017 born empty Fresian heifers circa 370kgs would make in the Mart?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

they ok like-clean? probably 450 - 600... maybe? could be away off the mark now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

SimmentalT wrote: »
    Hi, any idea what a small bunch of 2017 born empty Fresian heifers circa 370kgs would make in the Mart?
    Thanks

neighbour bought spring nice '17 hereford heifers 360kg for €500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,968 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

SimmentalT wrote: »
    Thanks

Around there weight unless a farmer wants to buy them for breeding and the lads around the ring push it onto him. They are a bit light and will have to go to grass next year. If they went well a lads that finishes them next June might get a nice ywist off them but they would not be in huge demand.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

General feedback from Carrigallen is ch heifers good, limo heifers bad. Lad from the local village won the overall heifer prize, unsold at 470kg 1200. Next door here had one ch heifer in it 380kg 1080.

See some pics on journal app
    That was some weight for a Jan heifer

Could be a ;););) ''jan'' heifer too

Ach I was 10kg out. Chinese whisper syndrome!
    Same man usually has at least one prizewinner in it, very well done cattle.....though probably Dec born!

Ach I was 10kg out. Chinese whisper syndrome!
    Same man usually has at least one prizewinner in it, very well done cattle.....though probably Dec born!

Of what year? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

find could be November(early born.. a lot whines around

Pidae.m wrote: »
    Of what year? ;)

:D:D Same man has great big shorthorn cows with oceans of milk so I'd believe him roughly half of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,913 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

This guy is loooking for €260 for Feb/March Friesian weanlings. My God, how could you make money at that crack. Is this the viable alternative to suckling?

https://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/27-friesian-bull-weanlings/20105601

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

This guy is loooking for €260 for Feb/March Friesian weanlings. My God, how could you make money at that crack. Is this the viable alternative to suckling?

Sad thing is buy them and kill them in crimbo 12 months and your at less!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭bosallagh88

Yea couldn’t be much of a turn at that craic they would owe u at least 200 between purchase feed grazing dose etc often wondered would there be more of a turn at runner type calves or say 170 to 200 kg suckler weanling kept for say 8 - 12 months ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Its a exceptional year as you know. Last year they would be 200 more or so. I wonder will guys rear calves next year after this year.
    You can't beat a good suckler bred animal at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

The man that reared them won't have anything out of em but surely the next man has to get a twist at that price I know they might not be easy on the eye but say 10 of them will cost u 2500, 10 reasonable sucker weanlings say 7500 which grou will leave not profit to finish???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

The man that reared them won't have anything out of em but surely the next man has to get a twist at that price I know they might not be easy on the eye but say 10 of them will cost u 2500, 10 reasonable sucker weanlings say 7500 which group will leave more profit to finish???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

This system is definately a viable way to work for nothing just like suckling.. however my preference would be to let another man winter them.. buy at around 400 a piece in March. And have a bunch of 450 550 kg stores going in next winter.. 550 600 kg stores out to grass spring 2020 ..and sell 1100 to 1400.

No bulling. No calving. Lovely friendly docile animals that follow and move. And a little twist on top of a safe sfp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,968 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Willfarman wrote: »
    This system is definately a viable way to work for nothing just like suckling.. however my preference would be to let another man winter them.. buy at around 400 a piece in March. And have a bunch of 450 550 kg stores going in next winter.. 550 600 kg stores out to grass spring 2020 ..and sell 1100 to 1400.

No bulling. No calving. Lovely friendly docile animals that follow and move. And a little twist on top of a safe sfp.

I prefer to start buying from mid May on at about 1.4/1.5/kg and trying to get animals that are 320+kgs heading for 400ish in late July when buying.

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

No two years the same. I used to favor a better done yearling.. Jan born weighing 350+. Graze for summer and winter finish. But it makes me very busy carrying meal twice a day when lambing and spring work is on. Summer fattening is easier.. apart from years like this and years when it never stops raining!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

345kg x 2 Mar CH. 865 shape
    345kg may ch 800.
    255kg x4 Mar lmx 680 shape
    255kg Mar lm 645
    365kg black lm Feb. 835
    375 kg orange chx Jan 950
    310 kg  x3 Mar ch 735 subj
    235 x 2 April ch 635.
    425 bullix ch 800.
    515 bbx oct 17 1380.
     420 Feb ch 1075.
    365 ch Feb 905.
    340 ch April 845.
    495 lmx Nov 1075.
    495 lmx Jan 1090
    530kg lmx Nov 1150.
    450 Feb chx 950.
    375 kg  lm Jan  700.Not sold
    365. Lm Jan 700.

From gortalea last night. Thought some of the light while ch did ok. 280 kg bit of shape near 800€

Advertisement