Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quinn Director abducted and assaulted

• 18-09-2019 11:26am
    Site Banned Posts: 2

Kevin Lunney was abducted from his home last night and badly beaten.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Thanks Kurt, now over to Dave for the sports update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Anyone know the motive?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

They haven’t gone away you know.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭maccored

make sure to pass on any relevant info to the guards

• Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭Odhinn

antix80 wrote: »
    Anyone know the motive?

There's been attacks against property and various threats made since the Quinn family were removed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I doubt the Quinn family were personally involved.

It's either personal or some folk hired to carry out the act, because of personal reasons. It wasn't a robbery as far as I know. Likely marking his card.
    Lots of strong feeling in the area. Even after the Quinns screwed the tax payer the little people were singing their praises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

maccored wrote: »
    make sure to pass on any relevant info to the guards

In fairness, he's hardly likely to inform your lot, now is he?

Portsalon wrote: »

The only active folk are the dissidents and they're FG/Lab's lot. Mind could be former FG Councillors if he was glassed or maybe he blew the whistle on the local Garda?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

I'm struggling to understand the motives and reasons behind these attacks.

While the Quinns may not be involved, whoever is carrying out these attacks seem to have strong sympathy towards the Quinns.

Portsalon wrote: »

who is 'your lot' ?

• Advertisement

who is 'your lot' ?

Likely the PSNI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

They are a different breed along the border. Nearly as bad as itinerants when it comes to breaking the law

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I'm struggling to understand the motives and reasons behind these attacks.

While the Quinns may not be involved, whoever is carrying out these attacks seem to have strong sympathy towards the Quinns.

Money, obviously. If you ran a major business in the border counties in the troubles do you really think you wouldn't have to pay "tax". A successor company owned by US Equity firms is never going to authorise those kind of payments so the boys are out to collect.

This scene illustrates the challenge of shaking down large impersonal corporations quite well.

Likely the PSNI.

its a confusing post. The Quinn director wouldnt go to the PSNI even though he was abducted in Fermanagh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I guess that's not a reference to the Quinn family.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Money, obviously. If you ran a major business in the border counties in the troubles do you really think you wouldn't have to pay "tax". A successor company owned by US Equity firms is never going to authorise those kind of payments so they boys are out to collect.

This scene illustrates the challenge of shaking down large firms quite well.

And the track record of the Quinn's wouldn't raise an eyebrow?
    You're into tinfoil hat territory or do you reckon we've not heard similar from the likes of Shell because they're paying up?
    its a confusing post. The Quinn director wouldnt go to the PSNI even though he was abducted in Fermanagh?

Only dodgy outfit I could think of ;)

And the track record of the Quinn's wouldn't raise an eyebrow?
    You're into tinfoil hat territory or do you reckon we've not heard similar from the likes of Shell because they're paying up?

Only dodgy outfit I could think of ;)

I honestly don't know what you're trying to say here.

Anyway the MO of the sabotage and intimidation perpetrated against QIH over the last few years is entirely consistent with that of "Republican" protection rackets and is in their traditional stomping ground. It's even been accompanied by Republican sloganeering at times.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck...

Hardly Tinfoil hat territory. Who do you think is behind this?

Anyway the MO of the sabotage and intimidation perpetrated against QIH over the last few years is entirely consistent with that of "Republican" protection rackets and is in their traditional stomping ground. It's even been accompanied by Republican sloganeering at times.

if it looks like a duck? it looks like a company is being terrorised and the ex boss strenuously denying its him. jaysus - ye's love gossip by the looks of it

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

I have always been suspicious of how Quinn could operate in the border area through the height of the troubles and not become a victim of extortion by the paramilitaries. He became the wealthiest man in Ireland under the noses of the provos ? Something isnt right. Fast forward a few years and his empire is wiped out and company is under new ownership yet the new board become victims of an unrelenting campaign employing similar methods used by the provos back in the day? Far too much of a coincidence all of this. What mystifies me is that total lack of arrests and convictions, again this is very similar to what we see in gangland / terrorist crimes. Will someone have to die before the authorities take this seriously ?

if it looks like a duck? it looks like a company is being terrorised and the ex boss strenuously denying its him. jaysus - ye's love gossip by the looks of it

Again I'm struggling to understand exactly what you're saying here. Can you be clearer?

The Quinns, despite their faults, don't have an established history of violence, kidnapping, intimidation, racketeering and criminal damage. This would be a bit of a leap for them.

• Advertisement

Again I'm struggling to understand exactly what you're saying here. Can you be clearer?

The Quinns, despite their faults, don't have an established history of violence, kidnapping, intimidation, racketeering and criminal damage. This would be a bit of a leap for them.

im not saying the quinns have anything to do with it though - im just stating the facts. others though are jumping to conclusions by insisting its republicans - which maybe it will end up being, but at least wait until theres at least something to back it up .

im not saying the quinns have anything to do with it though - im just stating the facts. others though are jumping to conclusions by insisting its republicans - which maybe it will end up being, but at least wait until theres at least something to back it up .

Don't hold your breath. These attacks on QIH have been going on for years with nothing coming to light. In fact some years ago a union made public complaints about its members exposed to this intimidation. Still nothing has come to light. As I'm sure you know there's a strong culture of omerta in the border counties and a political unwillingness to police this sort of thing too heavily for fear of endangering the GFA.

I think it's reasonable to draw valid conclusions on the evidence available so far. It's hardly a kneejerk reaction after several years. In fact in the context I'm very suspicious of this "nothing to see here" "don't jump to any conclusions" "Shure it's only gossip" deflection and I'm very interested to know what motivates it.

Don't hold your breath. These attacks on QIH have been going on for years with nothing coming to light. In fact some years ago a union made public complaints about its members exposed to this intimidation. Still nothing has come to light. As I'm sure you know there's a strong culture of omerta in the border counties and a political unwillingness to police this sort of thing too heavily for fear of endangering the GFA.

I think it's reasonable to draw valid conclusions on the evidence available so far. It's hardly a kneejerk reaction after several years. In fact in the context I'm very suspicious of this "nothing to see here" "don't jump to any conclusions" "Shure it's only gossip" deflection and I'm very interested to know what motivates it.

You seem to be accusing the Garda of turning a blind eye and elected politicians in doing same.
    If we're talking Republicans and the GFA, you obviously mean the IRA. Why would they sign up for peace only to destabilise it at a later time?
    The only 'evidence' is what happened to the man.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

I'm calling bullsh*t on that.

If it was so common, we'd hear many more accounts like this from other companies. It would be a scandal all over the news.

Nope, it just seems to be confined to the former Quinn group.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/construction/who-is-fermanagh-attack-victim-kevin-lunney-1.4022276?mode=amp

The Irish Times provided a decent summary, though one restrained to coded language that should be clear to any Irish person older than 14.

"This isn’t necessarily a new phenomenon in Lunney’s life. In 2016, he, alongside other executives, faced a death threat. A sign erected near Quinn Industrial Holdings in Derrylin read: “Remove the UDA + UVF off our mountain, or face the gun.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

I seem to be in the minority here but wtf is it all about ?! After reading the Times article it would insinuate this is a backlash against the group being sold to British hedge funds ?! Surely that can’t be it. Is it really that lawless ?

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/construction/who-is-fermanagh-attack-victim-kevin-lunney-1.4022276?mode=amp

The Irish Times provided a decent summary, though one restrained to coded language that should be clear to any Irish person older than 14.

"This isn’t necessarily a new phenomenon in Lunney’s life. In 2016, he, alongside other executives, faced a death threat. A sign erected near Quinn Industrial Holdings in Derrylin read: “Remove the UDA + UVF off our mountain, or face the gun.”

Of the politicians and Garda turning a blind eye, would any be Fine Gael or Fianna Fail? You would think they'd pounce on any chance to get one over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Of the politicians and Garda turning a blind eye, would any be Fine Gael or Fianna Fail? You would think they'd pounce on any chance to get one over.

Do you ever sleep not thinking about FF or FG?

Obsessed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/manufacturing/abducted-quinn-executive-was-threatened-with-permanent-solution-1.4022817?mode=amp

He was “beaten to within an inch of his life”, PSNI Superintendent Clive Beatty said on Wednesday.

“The actual violence of this attack is frightening. It’s not something we’ve experienced before outside of a paramilitary context.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

To do something like this is just so cowardly and bully behaviour. I really hope they are caught, publicly named so everyone knows what scum they are and get serious jail time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,999 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I seem to be in the minority here but wtf is it all about ?! After reading the Times article it would insinuate this is a backlash against the group being sold to British hedge funds ?! Surely that can’t be it. Is it really that lawless ?

Sorry I'm with you on this.

I haven't a clue who is doing what in these attacks. Everyone is beating around the bush and hinting at this and that, but can anyone explain exactly what is happening and why?

OK, I'm going to guess these attacks are all the work of ex-IRA men. That's probably safe to say, no?

But what have they against the directors of the company? This is where I get lost.

Some are hinting that the Quinn family are behind the attacks, so are they meant to be hiring thugs to dish out beatings of the company just because old Sean ran up massive debts and had the company taken off him, and he's huffing?

If this isn't true, and the Quinn's have condemned the attacks, then why are they happening? What is the talk of UVF/UDA? How are they involved?

If anyone doesn't want to post public;y, I'd love a PM!

To do something like this is just so cowardly and bully behaviour. I really hope they are caught, publicly named so everyone knows what scum they are and get serious jail time.

The likely culprits aren’t in the ‘Bully’ category when it comes to their scumbaggery.

Nobody should be surprised by these sort of things. If you’re in your 30’s or older now and had eyes and ears to catch the news in the 80’s/90’s, even as a kid, this is all very familiar and doesn’t come as much of a surprise at all.

quinns are a disgrace
    thugs involved in this are a disgrace
    quinn supporters are a disgrace

not much more to say. every now and again you catch a glimpse of the ireland of the past, this os one of those times. border thugs that think the ability to commit violence makes them something special or worthy.

and locals who play their part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Am I missing something here?

Why all the fuss about an assault case when it happens everyday in this country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,999 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So is this another hint that the Quinns are behind these attacks?

I wish I knew what was going on!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

reg114 wrote: »
    I have always been suspicious of how Quinn could operate in the border area through the height of the troubles and not become a victim of extortion by the paramilitaries. He became the wealthiest man in Ireland under the noses of the provos ? Something isnt right. Fast forward a few years and his empire is wiped out and company is under new ownership yet the new board become victims of an unrelenting campaign employing similar methods used by the provos back in the day? Far too much of a coincidence all of this. What mystifies me is that total lack of arrests and convictions, again this is very similar to what we see in gangland / terrorist crimes. Will someone have to die before the authorities take this seriously ?

There silly boys the new owners , there not respecting there own or there families lives !
    There in over there Depth wether it’s double crossing Quinn , provos or whatever , any amount of money is not worth that hanging over u . A death sentence only worse as u don’t know when it’s coming !
    Run while u can before it’s too late would be my opinion !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,494 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I suspect a lot of people in this country would like to break some of the Quinn’s legs. They personally owe me €600 in lost insurance money and a lot more than that if you factor in how much my insurance AND YOURS has gone up since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 irishman45

t believe they shook Sean Quinn down but do believe they are shaking the new owners down like in the Sopranos.

Omg it’s fair bad what they did to the poor man - Ud want to be a fair bad ba—-t to deserve that . Bleach stabbed finger nails slashed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Some one made the point earlier that I'd never tought about before. Is that a local business on the border couldn't of got as successful as it did with out coming to the attention of the paramilitaries from late 80s to 2007.
    Whether the Quinn's were directly involved which I'd think they'd be to cute for that or else turning a blind eye to some of their drivers doing let's say "cross border nixers"
    And now with the new owners not playing ball as in all vehicles tracked and a strict log system our enterprising paramilitary courier revenue stream has run dry.
    Hence resorting to the only way they know how to grease the wheels of industry . Ignorance and violence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tjhook

It's all speculation for the moment, although some of that speculation does sound credible.

What's important is that the sad little men who did this are taken off the streets. They have no place stuck to the arse of a functioning society.

I do think this time the state will be forced to act - it was a challenge to the authority of the state. It's very likely there are a number of people who know who carried out this act. When the gardai think they know who's involved in something serious, they're capable of bringing it to a satisfactory conclusion. Hopefully they will this time.

tjhook wrote: »
    It's all speculation for the moment, although some of that speculation does sound credible.

What's important is that the sad little men who did this are taken off the streets. They have no place stuck to the arse of a functioning society.

I do think this time the state will be forced to act - it was a challenge to the authority of the state. It's very likely there are a number of people who know who carried out this act. When the gardai think they know who's involved in something serious, they're capable of bringing it to a satisfactory conclusion. Hopefully they will this time.

Honestly, if anything is done this time, the only reason why will be because it may damage the international reputation of Ireland as a safe place to do business in.

If the US owners of QIH kick up a fuss then other US businesses may take note and increase their risk rating for doing business in Ireland, which cuts into profit margins, which deters FDI.

As long as tax keeps being paid the powers that be don't give two figs about the authority of the state outside of the leafy parts of South Dublin where they live. Just look at the 2011 funeral of Alan Ryan when dissidents were given free reign to shut down North Dublin suburb Donaghmede, managing traffic and doing a uniform and balaclava volley of shots by the graveside, while the Gardai did SFA. Obviously if that happened in Donnybrook they'd get baton charged but anywhere else it's open season.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Some one made the point earlier that I'd never tought about before. Is that a local business on the border couldn't of got as successful as it did with out coming to the attention of the paramilitaries from late 80s to 2007.
    Whether the Quinn's were directly involved which I'd think they'd be to cute for that or else turning a blind eye to some of their drivers doing let's say "cross border nixers"
    And now with the new owners not playing ball as in all vehicles tracked and a strict log system our enterprising paramilitary courier revenue stream has run dry.
    Hence resorting to the only way they know how to grease the wheels of industry . Ignorance and violence.

This I believe is what is happening reading through the lines. The Quinn enterprise did not become so huge at the height of the troubles on the border without the provos benefiting in some way financially, it is simply impossible. My guess would be the new management have resisted repeated extortion attempts by ex-provos who are none too pleased they are no longer coining it. Id say the thugs involved are probably panicking too at the prospect of a hard border post Brexit when things could look very different. Essentially this is a failing of policing both north and south of the border, but hey whats new there. The gardai absolutely know the identities of these thugs but are doing nothing, much like it was back in the day.

ATM money all gone too after getting caught !
    They should know well if u stay at something long enough u will get caught.

The other directors could jump ship now so it might work what is after happening!

Like would u stay there to find out will u return home from work in the evening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,660 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Extremely harrowing story this. An absolute attack on the fabric of society, that a man cannot go about his daily business. Whomever is responsible for this needs to be severely dealt with. Life changing injuries....really is disgusting that people can do this to other people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

walshb wrote: »
    Extremely harrowing story this. An absolute attack on the fabric of society, that a man cannot go about his daily business. Whomever is responsible for this needs to be severely dealt with. Life changing injuries....really is disgusting that people can do this to other people.

I’m sure Sean is rubbing his hands at the thought of QIH cutting their losses and selling it back to him at a big discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭kerry cow

look garda o donoughue shot , no charge ,
    that boy paul the trucker murdered in a shed with 20 men , no charge
    do you really think you will get a charge ,

i will eat my hat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭Allinall

I’m sure Sean is rubbing his hands at the thought of QIH cutting their losses and selling it back to him at a big discount.

I’m sure he’s not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

That's hardly going to happen.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Sorry I'm with you on this.

I haven't a clue who is doing what in these attacks. Everyone is beating around the bush and hinting at this and that, but can anyone explain exactly what is happening and why?

OK, I'm going to guess these attacks are all the work of ex-IRA men. That's probably safe to say, no?

But what have they against the directors of the company? This is where I get lost.

Some are hinting that the Quinn family are behind the attacks, so are they meant to be hiring thugs to dish out beatings of the company just because old Sean ran up massive debts and had the company taken off him, and he's huffing?

If this isn't true, and the Quinn's have condemned the attacks, then why are they happening? What is the talk of UVF/UDA? How are they involved?

If anyone doesn't want to post public;y, I'd love a PM!

Do you read the papers? The board received a threatening letter regarding land access to a now French owned company, (formally Quinn property) stating that:
    The threat last May addressed the “directors of Quinn Building Products”, whom the anonymous authors said “facilitated the sale of the Quinn manufacturing businesses” and the “trespass by a French company over... lands”. The wind farm is accessed by legal rights of way over nearby holdings, including the factory site.

“The directors responsible for the above are Liam McCaffrey, John McCartin, Dara O’Reilly, Kevin Lunney and Tony Lunney, ” the letter read, referencing the executives and board members.

“We are putting you on notice that if this... trespass is not stopped immediately, we will be implementing a permanent solution for at least one of the above,” the letter continued.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/manufacturing/abducted-quinn-executive-was-threatened-with-permanent-solution-1.4022817

It's locals or people pretending to be locals wanting resolution to a local issue.
    FYI: the youngest of any ex-IRA would be in their late 40's.

Nice to see Coveney take the man's serious beating as a chance to score points. I'd be more impressed if the state caught these guys.

It seems this is only the most high profile of a number of Quinn related intimidations around the area.
    There's certainly an element of the old guard not liking them foreigners coming over here etc.
    It's like The Field ffs...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement