Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quinn Director abducted and assaulted

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

Why was more not done about the previous attacks on the premises and directors of Quinn Industrial Holdings before Kevin Lunney was attacked?

Large swathes of criminality in Ireland are in reality a no go area for Gardai.

The only thing they can still do is chase working people for petty issues like motor tax and speeding fines now and then. They are reduced to nothing more than glorified traffic wardens now. The criminals run the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭political analyst

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    The media have named the suspected murderers of Paul Quinn also.
    You seem to be suggesting that the attacks on Quinn management were ignored because local Gardai were somehow compromised in their relationship with Sean Quinn.
    It has been suggested that lack of progress with certain crimes perpetrated by former republicans is due to political pressure to protect the peace process.

The phrase 'former republicans' indicates that Sinn Féin has nothing to do with these criminals. That means that protecting the peace process would not necessitate turning a blind eye (which cannot be justified in any case!) to the crimes of these individuals. Therefore, your theory doesn't make sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭political analyst

tdf7187 wrote: »
    This question keeps coming up. Garda understaffing combined with these gangs intimidating the local guards if you're a non-conspiracy theorist, some grand conspiracy theory involving M15 if you are.

I suppose PSNI understaffing (caused not just by cutbacks but also the mountain of Troubles legacy cases) is also a factor - considering that QIH's HQ is located and the abduction took place in Fermanagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

I suppose PSNI understaffing (caused not just by cutbacks but also the mountain of Troubles legacy cases) is also a factor - considering that QIH's HQ is located and the abduction took place in Fermanagh.

Could well be, yes. That hadn't occured to me.

PSNI will never give a shyte about what happens to "catholic" areas or "catholic" businesses, not unlike the Dublin governments / Dublin civil service hatred of so called "rural" areas in Ireland, the PSNI for different reasons, are quite happy to see society break down in these areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

high_king wrote: »
    PSNI will never give a shyte about what happens to "catholic" areas or "catholic" businesses, not unlike the Dublin governments / Dublin civil service hatred of so called "rural" areas in Ireland, the PSNI for different reasons, are quite happy to see society break down in these areas.

You seem to have no time for the police on either side of the border.
    Nearly all your posts are anti police.
    Why is that?

You seem to have no time for the police on either side of the border.
    Nearly all your posts are anti police.
    Why is that?

No, exactly the opposite. I'm anti police/civil service management, and anti the utter contempt and disdain the Dublin administration and media has for large swathes of what they like to call "rural" Ireland. The ordinary policeman / Guard can do nothing. I've quite a few family members in the Gardai, and they privately will say exactly the same thing. The criminals run large swathes of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

No, exactly the opposite. I'm anti police/civil service management, and anti the utter contempt and disdain the Dublin administration and media has for large swathes of what they like to call "rural" Ireland. The ordinary policeman / Guard can do nothing. I've quite a few family members in the Gardai, and they privately will say exactly the same thing. The criminals run large swathes of Ireland.

Sorry. Took it the wrong way then.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,652 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

tipptom wrote: »
    I would suspect the garda of nothing more than being criminally understaffed and under resourced in that area and the ones there had just given up because they were so demoralised and intimidated.
    I don't know of many areas in Ireland that there was such a bad response from garda to one of their own being attacked and others intimidated.

The likes of Minister Darcy has a cheek to say that Garda failed the directors,he is a minister for expenditure of the day,garda say they are under resourced in the area and this is blamed on financial restraints.

So the likes of this coward(minister for expenditure) to come out and say this now when never bothered before is fairly breath-taking considering they let 45 new Garda on the area with new resources once the sh&t hit the fan and not one journalist or politician would criticize him and his previous inaction.
    THere's no excuse for them leaving the visible signs of intimidation - the public signs - on display for a year without them being removed. That was a clear message to the community as to who was in charge in the area.

This would have required minimal resources.

Large swathes of criminality in Ireland are in reality a no go area for Gardai.

The only thing they can still do is chase working people for petty issues like motor tax and speeding fines now and then. They are reduced to nothing more than glorified traffic wardens now. The criminals run the show.
    Would you send traffic wardens into this situation?

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2019/1116/1091325-hutch-kinahan/

Would you send traffic wardens into this situation?

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2019/1116/1091325-hutch-kinahan/

Might as well for all the Guards have done about it

And we're talking about Ireland , not well resourced Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,652 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Might as well for all the Guards have done about it

And we're talking about Ireland , not well resourced Dublin
    Tell you what, next time they need somebody to head into the house of a gangland leader who is getting his guns ready to do a hit, I'll get them to give you a call and you can do it - fair enough?

Tell you what, next time they need somebody to head into the house of a gangland leader who is getting his guns ready to do a hit, I'll get them to give you a call and you can do it - fair enough?

Well when the guards walk in they are far from bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

According to today’s Indo Quinn complained to the Vatican about the local priests homily even though the priest didn’t name him. He also complained to the guards and two guards interviewed the priest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,482 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

According to today’s Indo Quinn complained to the Vatican about the local priests homily even though the priest didn’t name him. He also complained to the guards and two guards interviewed the priest.

Gubu on speed.

He has the Guards as his own service there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,404 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The only time he doesn't show up for mass is the day the priest is going to mention the whole saga.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,395 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Danzy wrote: »
    Gubu on speed.

Depending on the nature/content of the complaint to Gardai they would have to act on it, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Danzy wrote: »
    Gubu on speed.

Reminds you of the Godfather movie and the fact that Carleone had a direct line to the Vatican.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

A regular pleb would complain to the bishop. But not Sean, he believes he can go right to the top.

It's an easy accusation to make, but I did wonder at times was it possible that there was an internal struggle behind this.
    One of the saboteurs responsible for the campaign of intimidation against companies once owned by the former billionaire Seán Quinn has implicated a small group of people at Quinn Industrial Holdings (QIH).

In a series of interviews with The Sunday Times, the man admitted his involvement in acts of industrial sabotage, fire-bombings, and attacks using heavy goods vehicles being crashed into commercial buildings. He claims to know nothing about the involvement of a single “paymaster” but insisted the majority of attacks were directed by a core group, some of whom work at QIH.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/quinn-staff-ring-behind-the-violence-z57c9xjlg?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR0bYrdknotZ3IiYhC_eGwFVzkkvXHFti9z3dXyxDhGViA4u8mfMC3yXhAo#Echobox=1573992137

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭celt262

Going back a few years a friend who works there told me that a fellow worker came into work the day after one of the arson attacks with burns on his arms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Depending on the nature/content of the complaint to Gardai they would have to act on it, in fairness.

Would like to know how and why gardai acted with such speed in this matter?

Only thing I can think of is that SQ would have complained that he was about to/or had being defamed by what the priest said on the alter,

The priest had issued a copy of his sermon a couple of days beforehand so the police and SQ would have known he was not mentioned from the alter.

I don't necessarily agree with the priest in how far he went on his media journey and I sometimes think they still think that everyone is awaiting their take on anything happens in the community or that its their chance to grab the opportunity to make themselves relevant again.

In this case imo he should have done his sermon and left it at that as there are a lot of priess about who are viewed media attention seekers and hanging with people with money and public figures.

You have to wonder would the Garda in a busy area act with such speed for Joe Soap if he felt someone was maligning him even though you had told them in your complaint that your name was not mentioned,taken in to consideration how slow the garda response is to actual crimes that have being committed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

First arrests in 8 years of this is pretty extraordinary really given that things moved very quickly once a threshold was passed. Pretty extreme threshold though.

There were 70 previous incidents in the last 4 years involving QIH.

The threshold was passed a long time ago.

Regardless of identifying the so called paymaster, there is clearly incitement that can already be proven.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Lovely part of the World where men with machetes attack a 13 year old girl.

https://www.thejournal.ie/fermanagh-serious-assault-4894919-Nov2019/

He also complained to the guards and two guards interviewed the priest.

That's Ireland for you now, the guards wouldn't long be calling round with you, if you dared tell the truth about anything.

STB. wrote: »
    There were 70 previous incidents in the last 4 years involving QIH.

The threshold was passed a long time ago.

Regardless of identifying the so called paymaster, there is clearly incitement that can already be proven.

there has been investigations & charges brought in relation to some of these crimes.
    there are files in the DPPs office awaiting direction.
    but remember, Gardai were themselves victims of crimes and intimidation & they received no support from Garda management, so I couldn't blame any guard for doing the least amount necessary when they had no back up themselves.

Discodog wrote: »

Google “trasna way” & “court.” It’s an eye opener.

Same as every other un-policed part of Ireland, which is most of it . . but hey lets talk about climate change and how we can pay more carbon taxes instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

bubblypop wrote: »
    there has been investigations & charges brought in relation to some of these crimes.
    there are files in the DPPs office awaiting direction.
    but remember, Gardai were themselves victims of crimes and intimidation & they received no support from Garda management, so I couldn't blame any guard for doing the least amount necessary when they had no back up themselves.

Those are many excuses, only one of which I believe.

• Advertisement

I will remind you that Mr McGuinness was a Dub! ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement