Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quinn Director abducted and assaulted

• 18-09-2019 11:26am
    Site Banned Posts: 2

Kevin Lunney was abducted from his home last night and badly beaten.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Thanks Kurt, now over to Dave for the sports update.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Anyone know the motive?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

They haven’t gone away you know.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

make sure to pass on any relevant info to the guards

• Registered Users Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭Odhinn

antix80 wrote: »
    Anyone know the motive?

There's been attacks against property and various threats made since the Quinn family were removed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I doubt the Quinn family were personally involved.

It's either personal or some folk hired to carry out the act, because of personal reasons. It wasn't a robbery as far as I know. Likely marking his card.
    Lots of strong feeling in the area. Even after the Quinns screwed the tax payer the little people were singing their praises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

maccored wrote: »
    make sure to pass on any relevant info to the guards

In fairness, he's hardly likely to inform your lot, now is he?

Portsalon wrote: »

The only active folk are the dissidents and they're FG/Lab's lot. Mind could be former FG Councillors if he was glassed or maybe he blew the whistle on the local Garda?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

I'm struggling to understand the motives and reasons behind these attacks.

While the Quinns may not be involved, whoever is carrying out these attacks seem to have strong sympathy towards the Quinns.

Portsalon wrote: »

who is 'your lot' ?

• Advertisement

who is 'your lot' ?

Likely the PSNI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

They are a different breed along the border. Nearly as bad as itinerants when it comes to breaking the law

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I'm struggling to understand the motives and reasons behind these attacks.

While the Quinns may not be involved, whoever is carrying out these attacks seem to have strong sympathy towards the Quinns.

Money, obviously. If you ran a major business in the border counties in the troubles do you really think you wouldn't have to pay "tax". A successor company owned by US Equity firms is never going to authorise those kind of payments so the boys are out to collect.

This scene illustrates the challenge of shaking down large impersonal corporations quite well.

Likely the PSNI.

its a confusing post. The Quinn director wouldnt go to the PSNI even though he was abducted in Fermanagh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I guess that's not a reference to the Quinn family.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Money, obviously. If you ran a major business in the border counties in the troubles do you really think you wouldn't have to pay "tax". A successor company owned by US Equity firms is never going to authorise those kind of payments so they boys are out to collect.

This scene illustrates the challenge of shaking down large firms quite well.

And the track record of the Quinn's wouldn't raise an eyebrow?
    You're into tinfoil hat territory or do you reckon we've not heard similar from the likes of Shell because they're paying up?
    its a confusing post. The Quinn director wouldnt go to the PSNI even though he was abducted in Fermanagh?

Only dodgy outfit I could think of ;)

And the track record of the Quinn's wouldn't raise an eyebrow?
    You're into tinfoil hat territory or do you reckon we've not heard similar from the likes of Shell because they're paying up?

Only dodgy outfit I could think of ;)

I honestly don't know what you're trying to say here.

Anyway the MO of the sabotage and intimidation perpetrated against QIH over the last few years is entirely consistent with that of "Republican" protection rackets and is in their traditional stomping ground. It's even been accompanied by Republican sloganeering at times.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck...

Hardly Tinfoil hat territory. Who do you think is behind this?

Anyway the MO of the sabotage and intimidation perpetrated against QIH over the last few years is entirely consistent with that of "Republican" protection rackets and is in their traditional stomping ground. It's even been accompanied by Republican sloganeering at times.

if it looks like a duck? it looks like a company is being terrorised and the ex boss strenuously denying its him. jaysus - ye's love gossip by the looks of it

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

I have always been suspicious of how Quinn could operate in the border area through the height of the troubles and not become a victim of extortion by the paramilitaries. He became the wealthiest man in Ireland under the noses of the provos ? Something isnt right. Fast forward a few years and his empire is wiped out and company is under new ownership yet the new board become victims of an unrelenting campaign employing similar methods used by the provos back in the day? Far too much of a coincidence all of this. What mystifies me is that total lack of arrests and convictions, again this is very similar to what we see in gangland / terrorist crimes. Will someone have to die before the authorities take this seriously ?

if it looks like a duck? it looks like a company is being terrorised and the ex boss strenuously denying its him. jaysus - ye's love gossip by the looks of it

Again I'm struggling to understand exactly what you're saying here. Can you be clearer?

The Quinns, despite their faults, don't have an established history of violence, kidnapping, intimidation, racketeering and criminal damage. This would be a bit of a leap for them.

• Advertisement

Again I'm struggling to understand exactly what you're saying here. Can you be clearer?

The Quinns, despite their faults, don't have an established history of violence, kidnapping, intimidation, racketeering and criminal damage. This would be a bit of a leap for them.

im not saying the quinns have anything to do with it though - im just stating the facts. others though are jumping to conclusions by insisting its republicans - which maybe it will end up being, but at least wait until theres at least something to back it up .

im not saying the quinns have anything to do with it though - im just stating the facts. others though are jumping to conclusions by insisting its republicans - which maybe it will end up being, but at least wait until theres at least something to back it up .

Don't hold your breath. These attacks on QIH have been going on for years with nothing coming to light. In fact some years ago a union made public complaints about its members exposed to this intimidation. Still nothing has come to light. As I'm sure you know there's a strong culture of omerta in the border counties and a political unwillingness to police this sort of thing too heavily for fear of endangering the GFA.

I think it's reasonable to draw valid conclusions on the evidence available so far. It's hardly a kneejerk reaction after several years. In fact in the context I'm very suspicious of this "nothing to see here" "don't jump to any conclusions" "Shure it's only gossip" deflection and I'm very interested to know what motivates it.

Don't hold your breath. These attacks on QIH have been going on for years with nothing coming to light. In fact some years ago a union made public complaints about its members exposed to this intimidation. Still nothing has come to light. As I'm sure you know there's a strong culture of omerta in the border counties and a political unwillingness to police this sort of thing too heavily for fear of endangering the GFA.

I think it's reasonable to draw valid conclusions on the evidence available so far. It's hardly a kneejerk reaction after several years. In fact in the context I'm very suspicious of this "nothing to see here" "don't jump to any conclusions" "Shure it's only gossip" deflection and I'm very interested to know what motivates it.

You seem to be accusing the Garda of turning a blind eye and elected politicians in doing same.
    If we're talking Republicans and the GFA, you obviously mean the IRA. Why would they sign up for peace only to destabilise it at a later time?
    The only 'evidence' is what happened to the man.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

I'm calling bullsh*t on that.

If it was so common, we'd hear many more accounts like this from other companies. It would be a scandal all over the news.

Nope, it just seems to be confined to the former Quinn group.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/construction/who-is-fermanagh-attack-victim-kevin-lunney-1.4022276?mode=amp

The Irish Times provided a decent summary, though one restrained to coded language that should be clear to any Irish person older than 14.

"This isn’t necessarily a new phenomenon in Lunney’s life. In 2016, he, alongside other executives, faced a death threat. A sign erected near Quinn Industrial Holdings in Derrylin read: “Remove the UDA + UVF off our mountain, or face the gun.”

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

I seem to be in the minority here but wtf is it all about ?! After reading the Times article it would insinuate this is a backlash against the group being sold to British hedge funds ?! Surely that can’t be it. Is it really that lawless ?

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/construction/who-is-fermanagh-attack-victim-kevin-lunney-1.4022276?mode=amp

The Irish Times provided a decent summary, though one restrained to coded language that should be clear to any Irish person older than 14.

"This isn’t necessarily a new phenomenon in Lunney’s life. In 2016, he, alongside other executives, faced a death threat. A sign erected near Quinn Industrial Holdings in Derrylin read: “Remove the UDA + UVF off our mountain, or face the gun.”

Of the politicians and Garda turning a blind eye, would any be Fine Gael or Fianna Fail? You would think they'd pounce on any chance to get one over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Of the politicians and Garda turning a blind eye, would any be Fine Gael or Fianna Fail? You would think they'd pounce on any chance to get one over.

Do you ever sleep not thinking about FF or FG?

Obsessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/manufacturing/abducted-quinn-executive-was-threatened-with-permanent-solution-1.4022817?mode=amp

He was “beaten to within an inch of his life”, PSNI Superintendent Clive Beatty said on Wednesday.

“The actual violence of this attack is frightening. It’s not something we’ve experienced before outside of a paramilitary context.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

To do something like this is just so cowardly and bully behaviour. I really hope they are caught, publicly named so everyone knows what scum they are and get serious jail time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement