Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quinn Director abducted and assaulted

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,284 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Everyone does make mistakes but Quinn managed to keep digging and digging when he did. He seemed to blame Anglo for the fall in share price and him owing them money when it was his fault. Remember the tax payer had to fund the losses in Anglo and when he asset stripped the Quinn group we were the ones getting screwed.

His situation is very different than the Bull McCabe. This field would have just been left to rot if outsiders hadn't come in to help and the people who used to tend to it rot as well.

As for him being allowed to buy his old company back I just don't know. It was his actions that led to him being removed from it and you don't get to call who owns it after that. Could he even afford to buy it back as he was declared bankrupt in 2012 so where would the money come from to do so?

He would leverage a buy out readily enough. He built a multi billion business out of a small, wet farm. He went bankrupt but they'll say nearly every billionaire has or come close to it.

He'd have no trouble getting funding.

He is happily retired but all this carry on will put others off buying it, talk of dissident IRA, the Guards sitting back during years of intimidation etc. People in New York or London will stay well away.

He might end up having to buy it off the hedge fund cause no one else will.

What a pain in the proverbial that would be, back in to all that again.

Please God the maniacs behind the attacks would not carry on their vendetta against him.

Fair play to Sean for condemning it and showing a great warmth to Kevin. A local man he has known 20 years.

"my condolences to Kevin and Bronagh and whatever number of children they have"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭celt262

Danzy wrote: »
    Fair play to Sean for condemning it and showing a great warmth to Kevin. A local man he has known 20 years.

"my condolences to Kevin and Bronagh and whatever number of children they have"

He is up to his neck in this there is no way anyone else is paying this gang.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,619 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I thought it was interesting that Seán Quinn issued a statement condemning the attack but most of the text I read in the paper was him voicing concern that his family would be blamed for it. I think a simple condemnation would have been sufficient

Agreed. Been reading a bit on it, and there always seems to be a ‘but.’

It’s clear that there was some bad blood between them...

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

I’ve read the news artcles online, the thread etc and I’m still not clear on who’s behind this, a bogeyman ex provo similar to slab murphy, hired mercenaries, locals with a grudge and a loyalty to previous owners, like something from a crime novel.

What is striking/worrying is that up to now it appears the local guards were afraid of these guys too and haven’t taken them on, that is a real concern in any functioning democracy, let’s hope the level of brutality dealt out has backfired on the perpetrators and will shine enough of a light on the area that the state can no longer ignore what’s going on here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

CatFromHue wrote: »
    He bought billions of shares in Anglo on CFDs which obviously went south badly as that bank failed. He had to borrow money to keep the shares, this is how CFDs work.

He didn't buy billions of shares in Anglo and that's not how CFDs work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Nice one for Scorsese or tarantino for a film -
    Brendan Glesson as Seán Quinn
    Runaway dumpers down the hills of Derrylin

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

This has all the makings of a true crime drama, a book, a film, whatever.

Honestly it is very murky to me anyway. And some around those parts actually know what is going on.

I don't, but can guess.

Edit... just cross posted with pp Millionaire only not above :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,781 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If an exec of Google or Facebook or one of the multinationals was abducted, the guards would be all over it like a bad suit. Will they just swing the lead until someone actually gets killed...And then what?
    Stinks to high heaven.

If an exec of Google or Facebook or one of the multinationals was abducted, the guards would be all over it like a bad suit. Will they just swing the lead until someone actually gets killed...And then what?
    Stinks to high heaven.

It’s just the way business is done along the border for generations!
    We have Larry on our business running it as a dictator and taking over farms when he has farmers bankrupt, he has 3 bodyguards does that not tell u something he’s a wanted man that’s not playing straight!
    U wouldn’t have much uproar if he was lying why Kevin is !

• Advertisement

Calltocall wrote: »
    I’ve read the news artcles online, the thread etc and I’m still not clear on who’s behind this, a bogeyman ex provo similar to slab murphy, hired mercenaries, locals with a grudge and a loyalty to previous owners, like something from a crime novel.

What is striking/worrying is that up to now it appears the local guards were afraid of these guys too and haven’t taken them on, that is a real concern in any functioning democracy, let’s hope the level of brutality dealt out has backfired on the perpetrators and will shine enough of a light on the area that the state can no longer ignore what’s going on here

They are not frightened, they know which side their bread is buttered on.

If they get worked up about this they'll pay career wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

maccored wrote: »
    funny - i heard them condemning it on newstalk during the week

Do you have a link, because the media have generally not picked this up. Plenty of reported statements from other parties, but nothing from Sinn Fein. You are the only person I know who has heard it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

It’s just the way business is done along the border for generations!
    We have Larry on our business running it as a dictator and taking over farms when he has farmers bankrupt, he has 3 bodyguards does that not tell u something he’s a wanted man that’s not playing straight!
    U wouldn’t have much uproar if he was lying why Kevin is !
    Care to translate that last line? Assume from your posts you’re a Quinn relative?

Care to translate that last line? Assume from your posts you’re a Quinn relative?

I said u wouldn’t have too much uproar if Larry was lying where kevin is !
    The amount of people that have put a rope around there neck over that man and his greed !
    Not a relative of Quinn’s thank god , just stating facts .

blanch152 wrote: »
    Do you have a link, because the media have generally not picked this up. Plenty of reported statements from other parties, but nothing from Sinn Fein. You are the only person I know who has heard it.

Your a self parody at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

I was the only one who heard Michelle O'Neill (or Michelle Gildernew - cant remember which) and Arlene on newstalk when barry white was interviewing people last week? I bet you money plenty of other people heard it. I’d get the link for you but sure if i did, you’d never mention it again. I wont bother, so you can pretend she wasnt interviewed - or you could just go look up the archives yourself

EDIT:

Aye, like a quick 2 sec google about Sinn Fein and the attack finds nothing ... if you are blind. Just one example (plenty more if you could be bothered looking):

"Sinn Féin councillor Chris McCaffrey, a neighbour of Lunney’s, said his father phoned him in shock after hearing what had happened, and that he had been unable to get it out of his head since.

“It was just so brutal,” he said. “The community has absolutely rejected what has happened, everyone is shocked and completely opposed to it . . . It has left a very bad, ugly mark on the area.” "

another paper report

"Sinn Féin Tyrone MP, Michelle Gildernew, who has known Mr Lunney for many years, said everyone in Fermanagh was “shocked and stunned at the nature of the attack.” "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Calltocall wrote: »

I don't think anyone is, but we can all read between the lines and draw our own private conclusions.

Danzy wrote: »
    They are not frightened, they know which side their bread is buttered on.

If they get worked up about this they'll pay career wise.

Do you want to explain this please?
    Are you trying to suggest that AGS are somehow in cahoots with whomever is behind the attacks?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Plenty of companies along the border. Any having similar troubles on this scale?

Sounds determined to get "his company" back by any means necessary.
    Asked from the floor about his plans and whether he would try to get back into the company, Mr Quinn said: “I’ve been trying all along. I have said at all times I wanted to buy the company. I wanted to buy all of it. I could have got the finance to pay the equity share because you can’t go into a company without what they call a bit of skin in the game.
    “I’m still fit, I’m still keen, I’m still determined and I know that with the support of the customers, the staff, the neighbours, the friends, the landowners, and I think it has all the support to make it as good as it could be made based on the position it’s in.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/sean-quinn-tells-meeting-of-desire-to-return-to-run-his-former-business-1.3604537

• Registered Users Posts: 27,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

maccored wrote: »
    I was the only one who heard Michelle O'Neill (or Michelle Gildernew - cant remember which) and Arlene on newstalk when barry white was interviewing people last week? I bet you money plenty of other people heard it. I’d get the link for you but sure if i did, you’d never mention it again. I wont bother, so you can pretend she wasnt interviewed - or you could just go look up the archives yourself

EDIT:

Aye, like a quick 2 sec google about Sinn Fein and the attack finds nothing ... if you are blind. Just one example (plenty more if you could be bothered looking):

"Sinn Féin councillor Chris McCaffrey, a neighbour of Lunney’s, said his father phoned him in shock after hearing what had happened, and that he had been unable to get it out of his head since.

“It was just so brutal,” he said. “The community has absolutely rejected what has happened, everyone is shocked and completely opposed to it . . . It has left a very bad, ugly mark on the area.” "

another paper report

"Sinn Féin Tyrone MP, Michelle Gildernew, who has known Mr Lunney for many years, said everyone in Fermanagh was “shocked and stunned at the nature of the attack.” "

Fine, I was wrong on that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Some of the posts trying to justify this attack are just sick. We dont need an insight into that mindset at all.

And on Sean Quinn. Isnt this the man who played a large part in a bank that broke this country a decade ago, and has somehow managed to make himself the victim in this criminal attack.

I'd have to say I am in total agreement with Daniel McConnell view in the Irish Examiner.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/views/columnists/lunney-was-assaulted-quinn-is-not-the-victim-952090.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Fine, I was wrong on that one.

i'll ignore the insinuation of your initial post that I for some reason had been lying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

We all paying for the mistakes of Sean Quinn. Another clown who got too big for his boots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

We all paying for the mistakes of Sean Quinn. Another clown who got too big for his boots.

Some people cannot resist the greed and power.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭kirving

Stinks to high heaven.

The Gards would probably get a phonecall from the American embassy telling them to stay away from the area for a while.

Even the Mexican cartels don't dare to deliberately target Americans. They know full well that the CIA world get involved, and that just isn't worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

https://www.thejournal.ie/kevin-lunney-investigation-cavan-fermanagh-4821371-Sep2019/

“Initial investigations have yielded results for gardaí. It is now believed that a gang led by a former IRA member with a string of convictions was behind the planning of the attack”

• Registered Users Posts: 15,781 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

https://www.thejournal.ie/kevin-lunney-investigation-cavan-fermanagh-4821371-Sep2019/

“Initial investigations have yielded results for gardaí. It is now believed that a gang led by a former IRA member with a string of convictions was behind the planning of the attack”

Not surprising, the RA and their fellow travellers had previous form, it's like a harking back to the bad old days.
    It's good to see the guards finally getting the finger out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I still don't understand why.Because he has nothing else to do, is that it? (And I am not trying to be funny or make light of it).
    As for Sean Quinn, I presume most other people can see through his rubbish...right?Apart from those in the area who continue to believe that he is the best thing ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

The Gards would probably get a phonecall from the American embassy telling them to stay away from the area for a while.

Even the Mexican cartels don't dare to deliberately target Americans. They know full well that the CIA world get involved, and that just isn't worth the risk.

Jason Bourne was pretty handy when he was on the go alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭celt262

shesty wrote: »
    I still don't understand why.Because he has nothing else to do, is that it? (And I am not trying to be funny or make light of it).
    As for Sean Quinn, I presume most other people can see through his rubbish...right?Apart from those in the area who continue to believe that he is the best thing ever.

Someone will start singing at some stage and the truth will come out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement