Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Wasn't mad about the MJF promo, too insider.

Enjoyed the opening tag and the Tag Title match but after I finished the show the only thing I could think about was that Darby skateboard spot to the back of Sparks, the thumbtacks, the blood, like just an absolutely perfectly executed moment and finish to the match. It looked like a million bucks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Sirsok wrote: »
    Has a good online following, can add to their digital channels also. There figures are coming out so he has a platform to promote them also.

Something to prove also , solid enough worker and Creative so it Makes sense.

Actually back in the day Ryder had a big online following as he was first to the table using it. Now a days it’s not as big.

As his most avid of fans are indifferent to him thanks to WWE’s constant burial of him and him being used as a doormat for years.

Regarding the something to prove he just doesn’t have the in ring talent to be anything more than a comedy midcard act.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,286 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

You are looking at a company that was created from a Youtube channel so no surprise that they signed Matt really.

What they have now with Matt and Colt are two guys that started a ground swell on YouTube and Podcasting for fans to follow and I don't know if they will use them in the creative side however they are two guys with good wrestling minds and know how to promote in new ways.

Matt won't be pushed to the main eventer he is a mid card guy the 3rd/4th guy in a faction he isn't a leader he is what Cody called Spears a good hand and every wrestling company needs those.

You bring in new the guys at the start with the top guys in the company to show that they are someone then you let them fall back down to their natural positions in the company and let them try and build themselves up to top contenders from there.

Arn getting there before Tully with signing a Tag Team I wonder will it lead to Tully and Arn both setting up a 4 Horsemen and then having them face off against each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

CastorTroy wrote: »
    And why sign Cameron? She was terrible in WWE. Remember her trying to pin a face down opponent? And according to her wiki page, she's not been active since leaving there.

Painful.
    Can you imagine the goofy gimmick Vince would put on MJF thankfully he ended up in a wrestling company not an entertainment company.

He is cosplaying as Trump and doing a promo from a burberry podium with secret service and a press secretary. How goofy do you wanna get?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,981 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Painful. Production all over the place. Opening tag was a disjointed mess, and the show never got back any rhythm. Cameras constantly missed spots, commentators missed cues left right and centre. Even the MJF promo was ruined by the sound being way too high on the crowd's manufactured boos.

But you can forgive a lot of that if the content is good enough.... and it just isn't. Inner circle nearly have go away heat with me now. My first time seeing Warhorse and while I wasn't particularly impressed, at least focus on him in the post-match. Why are Dark Order randomly attacking Cody just so Cardona can debut, it was so rushed together and out of place. FTR have gone from a hard hitting heel team to two bad actors who want to host "tag team appreciation night". Cringe.

The good, original ideas on this show are getting fewer and farther between. It's such a shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was thinking about Warhorse as well. He pushed Cody out of the way, gets knocked out of the ring, then forgotten about.

So the women's tag tournament is a joker's wild type thing? Will Brandi and Allie still be together?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Really good episode again this week, MJF's address was the highlight for me, the man is golden on the mic.

Cody/Warhorse was a good match, I liked Cardona's debut too, he looked impressive.

Also really enjoyed Diamante/Shida, Shida just makes her stuff look like it legit hurts, she's a cracking champion. The Darby coffin drop and skateboard 'tack spots in the main looked great.

Lots to look forward to in coming week's with FTR's tag team appreciation night, the womens tag tournament, the 12 man tag and Darby/Mox. Lovely.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Judging by AEW’s socials Matt Cardona’s first feud will be against Shawn Spears. That’ll put butts in seats. :pac:

Fighting for Cody's honour?

AEW 773K 6th most watched show of the night.

NXT 707k 28th most watched show of the night.

They aren't far off being combined ratings beating RAW.

Wednesday to be the most watched night of wrestling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Another win for the good guy's.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

AEW 773K 6th most watched show of the night.

NXT 707k 28th most watched show of the night.

They aren't far off being combined ratings beating RAW.

Wednesday to be the most watched night of wrestling.

I don't think that's a coincidence unfortunately

The should start running Dark on TNT on Monday nights, go for WWE's jugular.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

Loughc wrote: »
    Judging by AEW’s socials Matt Cardona’s first feud will be against Shawn Spears. That’ll put butts in seats. :pac:

I don't get Shawn Spears. His character is all over the place. I couldn't care less about his matches whereas others I either want to see win or lose. Plenty more wrestlers could be getting airtime instead of him.

EB_2013 wrote: »
    I don't get Shawn Spears. His character is all over the place. I couldn't care less about his matches whereas others I either want to see win or lose. Plenty more wrestlers could be getting airtime instead of him.

So as long as your friends with Cody you will get airtime over other talented wrestlers.

Spoiler for next weeks Dynamite/Impact v2
    Eric Bishoff
    is AEW. Appearing on nexts week show.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Ryder at the moment is just working on a 5 appearance deal.

Cody also name dropping Miro in an interview with ESPN.

According to Meltzer, Sky Italia have dropped WWE and picked up AEW instead.

UK could soon follow; he estimates more people downloaded the WrestleTalk podcast last week than watched Smackdown (in the UK).

Kingston could be worth his weight in gold in the long run. I'm already thinking of the programs he can work as a heel with babyfaces they're trying to get over, e.g., Sky, Hangman, maybe even Jungle Boy eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Neil3030 wrote: »
    According to Meltzer, Sky Italia have dropped WWE and picked up AEW instead.

UK could soon follow; he estimates more people downloaded the WrestleTalk podcast last week than watched Smackdown (in the UK).
    Seen a comment on r/SquaredCircle that WWE moved to DMAX in Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

How have they fans in the arena?

That was from a while ago when EC3 was there before

• Registered Users Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Kingston could be worth his weight in gold in the long run. I'm already thinking of the programs he can work as a heel with babyfaces they're trying to get over, e.g., Sky, Hangman, maybe even Jungle Boy eventually.

What age is Eddie? Thought I read something about him considering retirement a while ago.

Ryder at the moment is just working on a 5 appearance deal.

Cody also name dropping Miro in an interview with ESPN.

Prob for the best with Ryder only working a 5
    Appearance deal. Short feud with Cody’s pal Tye and then back to the wilderness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

I’ll defend Ryder until the cows come home. I said in a post after the big post-WrestleMania firings, but I’ll say it again here now that he has debuted. Out of everyone that was let go, he has the most to prove and makes sense being part of AEW.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I in no way think Ryder will be AEW Champion, and he shouldn’t be booked as a challenger anytime soon. But Ryder has three things going for him:

1) He knows how to connect with the audience and make them give a **** about him. Think back to when Z! True Long Island Story started. Zack got over with the fan base in a massive, massive way. This was a guy whose name got chanted over The Rock at a show. To the point that Rock had to acknowledge the chant just to move on. You might turn around and say “Oh it was just fans trying to go against WWE programming, it didn’t matter who was being chanted” or “Cheering for Ryder was the “CM Punk” chant of its day”, but the fanbase loved him, and were rooting for him. There was a point that Zack was the top seller on WWE Shop for multiple weeks. That’s not protest chants, that’s support with your wallet. He gets it, and knows how to connect. I mean, when he won the IC belt all those years later people went crazy, because that’s their guy. At the very least, this is something he can share and teach with the rest of the roster that might be struggling to form that connection with the audience.

2) He is reliable in the ring. Again, Zack isn’t the guy you put out there to get 5 star matches. He isn’t a world class wrestler, but he is a sound wrestler who knows what he is doing and how to put a match together. If I’m booking tv, I want a guy out there that I can trust to put on a decent showing, help get others over, and not look bad in losing. Again, another thing that I feel is a problem with AEW (Guys lose but cannot seem to maintain their credibility).

3) He is a natural marketer. Backstage he is going to really help with brand awareness, digital promotion and cross promotion. Want an example? His action figure podcast has a ton of merch, and whenever they bring out something new it sells out in a flash, because he created a community and built up brand value and interest within a certain market. I work with and coach marketers every day with my job, and I have brought him up before as a case study in how to build a brand and create demand for yourself. Having him backstage working with AEW’s digital presence and merchandise would be massive.

Again, I’m not trying to paint a picture that Zack is going to revolutionise AEW or be the face of the company, but his upside is massive and he can bring a ton of positive impact to the product, both on and off camera. If he flops I’ll eat my words and admit I was wrong, but I’m confident that he is a super smart signing for AEW, connection with Cody or not.

h8jm3El.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

WWE have signed literally every good wrestler in America over the last 6-8 years bar maybe 3 or 4. Of course a new company will have to use ex WWE guys. It's such a dumb thing, once you sign them they're yours and then it's down to how you use them.

I mean NXT for a long time was just a jacked up PWG show. But it doesn't matter, once you join a company that's it and everybody comes from somewhere at that level of wrestling.

WWE have signed literally every good wrestler in America over the last 6-8 years bar maybe 3 or 4. Of course a new company will have to use ex WWE guys. It's such a dumb thing, once you sign them they're yours and then it's down to how you use them.

I mean NXT for a long time was just a jacked up PWG show. But it doesn't matter, once you join a company that's it and everybody comes from somewhere at that level of wrestling.

Calm down. It’s a joke. I make more jokes at WWE’s expense yet no one gets up in arms about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Loughc wrote: »
    Calm down. It’s a joke. I make more jokes at WWE’s expense yet no one gets up in arms about them.

You have to be careful as some people are very sensitive about AEW. The same way that tv ratings get posted when AEW wins but they don't get posted when NXT wins.

Advertisement