Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Some matches on the horizon, which may or may not wait until All-Out:

FTR vs Hangman/Omega
    Allin vs Cage
    MJF vs Matt Hardy
    Jurassic Express + OC vs Inner Circle

Possibly leaves Archer to have a title shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,295 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

AEW 778K and the 5th ranked show.

NXT 631K and the 48th ranked show

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Great show this week, the six-man tag was excellent and Kiss/Rhodes and FTR/Lucha Bros were really good. Loved the Jericho/Orange segment too.

Looking forward to seeing Ivelisse debut next week, solid addition to the womens roster.

It also looks like they have signed Diamante from LAX I wonder will they team her with Ortiz and Santana and have them move away from Jericho slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,804 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Diamante was on Dark this week as half a tag team against Brandi and Allie. Her partner took the pin.

She wasn't long part of LAX was she?

• Advertisement

I think she suffered a bad injury just after join LAX.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Ivelisse and Diamanté as a two girl power trip would bang. Am I the only one who thinks they’d look savage together as opposed to against each other?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Omackeral wrote: »
    Ivelisse and Diamanté as a two girl power trip would bang. Am I the only one who thinks they’d look savage together as opposed to against each other?

When they showed the graphic for their match next week i thought they were a tag team as they had a similiar look.

Enjoyed AEW this week , kinda liked the more heel tactics from Cody and Kenny although i know Cody hugged Sonny but with Kenny hopefully its a slow turn for him and it could be him that turns on Page.

I really liked the Jericho/Cassidy segment although id say it would have been a big pop when Jericho used the towel. I feel the whole demo god is something that sounds stupid but knowing Jericho he will get it over just like the list. Although i see nothing in Hagar tbh.

Felt the main event was a bit of a weird ending, personally i would have had ref take a bump, Cage is about to hit Mox with the title, then have Darby come in and cost him the match. But as people said i can understand that they played the whole Cage injury and the fact he was in the submission for ages can still make him look strong , plus they can do a rematch later with Cage saying he never submitted etc.

I do think it probably wasnt the best for AEW to have 3 big/monster heels debut in a short space of time (Brodie/Archer/Cage) and go for the title straight away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Genetic Jackhammer

I think Cody hugged Sonny for a number of politically correct reasons but also I think he botched on Sonny and may have hurt him.

Also loved Sonny's entrance with the cheerleaders that guys got moves.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I think Cody hugged Sonny for a number of politically correct reasons but also I think he botched on Sonny and may have hurt him.

Also loved Sonny's entrance with the cheerleaders that guys got moves.

Leaving aside the fact that Cody may have botched/hurt Sonny, what makes ya think Cody hugging Sonny had politically correct reasons to it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Sonny’s entrance was class. Loved it. Very sassy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Some really strange takes on AEW the last few days.

Omega selling for Marko - That's Omega. He isn't a 350 pound monster that will squash everything in front of him. Also the timing of this particular take is all time bad considering the finish of that 6 man was Kenny wiping out the entire Jurassic Express team single handed then pounding on Marko post match, he couldn't have looked stronger. People also forgetting that in his big runs in PWG, DDT and NJPW he would regularly have competitive matches with lower card guys or comedy acts (Yoshiko, Yano ect.)

AEW settling at 500k viewers- Their average rating during Covid has been in the 700k mark, pre Covid they were hitting high 800k or lower 900k. Their revenue is based almost entirely on ad sales, the high value sales coming from products that appeal to the demo. The demo numbers have been consistently good, at times really good. TNT are delighted and we're very quick to renew the contract. Anybody saying they've failed on this level simply does not understand ratings or the expectations of both the network and AEW going into this. It's been a hit for both.

Cody being overly PC- Cody has literally put over every challenger for the title post match. Nothing to see here.

AEW losing viewers from 1st week- A curious 1.5 million tuned in, taking pre Covid numbers around 900k have stuck around. Key to that is that it's young viewers who have stuck with it. Again, retaining that core demographic has been a big win. Building on it is the next challenge. Trying to spin it as a failure is so strange and even during empty arena wrestling the demo has largely held up.

I'll also add that I think they've done a great job not burning money matches during this Covid era. They've kept the shows interesting, they've given people just enough to keep tuning in but the big matches (and this is a company that does a great job thus far in saving its big matches) have been saved for when they can draw real money with them. Big picture, I think Tony Khan has done a great job with the booking even in a tough time.

For anyone who's interested, Chris Jericho and ex Skid Row front-man, Sebastian Bach have gotten into a bit of a back and forth spat on Twitter, started out light hearted enough, then escalated when Bach accused Jericho of miming. Those I've seen weigh in include Alice Cooper's guitar player Nita Strauss, and Dee Snider of Twisted Sister, and Machine Head's former lead guitarist Phil Demmel

Though I think Testament guitarist Alex Skolnick summed it up best with his response.

https://twitter.com/AlexSkolnick/status/1283811047233785856

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

The first thing i thought when I saw those tweets it’s leading to a sing off on the Jericho cruise

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I haven't heard of Alex Skolnick since he did a series of jazz articles for Guitar Techniques about 10 years ago

I haven't heard of Alex Skolnick since he did a series of jazz articles for Guitar Techniques about 10 years ago

His jazz stuff does fly under the radar, though not surprising given his main gig with Testament.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Jericho claiming he is a better singer than Sebastian Bach is 'Hogan was asked to be the bassist of Metallica' levels of delusion!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Jericho claiming he is a better singer than Sebastian Bach is 'Hogan was asked to be the bassist of Metallica' levels of delusion!

I wouldnt be taking Jericho top seriously here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Yeah I did think it was silly for Jericho to be arguing, but if it does turn out to be a work for Jericho's next cruise then he is a genius. If not, then Jericho has a real chip on his shoulder but it's not like we didn't already know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

The Demo God does it again, Jericho is one of the GOAT's.

• Advertisement

Both are good front men, but there are far better in the business than both.

So why wasn't the FTW title on the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Some really strange takes on AEW the last few days.

Omega selling for Marko - That's Omega. He isn't a 350 pound monster that will squash everything in front of him. Also the timing of this particular take is all time bad considering the finish of that 6 man was Kenny wiping out the entire Jurassic Express team single handed then pounding on Marko post match, he couldn't have looked stronger. People also forgetting that in his big runs in PWG, DDT and NJPW he would regularly have competitive matches with lower card guys or comedy acts (Yoshiko, Yano ect.)

AEW settling at 500k viewers- Their average rating during Covid has been in the 700k mark, pre Covid they were hitting high 800k or lower 900k. Their revenue is based almost entirely on ad sales, the high value sales coming from products that appeal to the demo. The demo numbers have been consistently good, at times really good. TNT are delighted and we're very quick to renew the contract. Anybody saying they've failed on this level simply does not understand ratings or the expectations of both the network and AEW going into this. It's been a hit for both.

Cody being overly PC- Cody has literally put over every challenger for the title post match. Nothing to see here.

AEW losing viewers from 1st week- A curious 1.5 million tuned in, taking pre Covid numbers around 900k have stuck around. Key to that is that it's young viewers who have stuck with it. Again, retaining that core demographic has been a big win. Building on it is the next challenge. Trying to spin it as a failure is so strange and even during empty arena wrestling the demo has largely held up.

I'll also add that I think they've done a great job not burning money matches during this Covid era. They've kept the shows interesting, they've given people just enough to keep tuning in but the big matches (and this is a company that does a great job thus far in saving its big matches) have been saved for when they can draw real money with them. Big picture, I think Tony Khan has done a great job with the booking even in a tough time.

If Tony Khan's objective was to set up a narratively inconsistent variety show that will only appeal to already dedicated wrestling fans, mission accomplished.

If he genuinely thinks the current presentation will succeed with his originally stated mission of "a serious, sport-based product" (direct quote) - one that might appeal to people outside of that fairly restricted demographic - he's failing.

I get that money talks, and maybe he decided to u-turn on the original plan when he saw the higher purchasing power of younger viewers.

But I am not a member of the Khan family, so AEW's financial success is not my concern. I can only speak as a fan who is disappointed in the actual product. Omega v Okada 1 got me back into wrestling in 2016. I've been hooked on NJPW since. I was thrilled when Omega didn't end up in WWE and looked forward to AEW offering a US-based product in the same NJPW vision that got him so over. So far, they've failed to live up to my expectations and the overall drop in ratings tells me that I am very much not alone in thinking this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Couple of heel turns on the card it seems - kenny into the cleaner should be interesting and a very slow burn.

Cody needs to be a heel asap - he is naturally unlikeable :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Face Cowboy up against a heel Cody, Bucks and Omega could be all sorts of phenomenal.

It’s just such a pity they don’t have live crowds to do these slow builds in front of the reactions would be spectacular TV to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

The low battery notification is hilarious

https://twitter.com/aewontnt/status/1284533392986435586?s=21

3 things from AEW Dark:
    Diamante still has LAX on her ring gear.

Brandi possibly teasing tag titles?

A reveal to be followed up on Dynamite
    Tazz now has a new member along with Cage - Ricky Starks

Cody will defend his title against "one of the world's top independent wrestlers" tonight.

• Advertisement

Which WWE release could it be? :)
    Saw former NXT guy Tino Sabbatelli made his debut on Dark

Advertisement