Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of being fat

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

BMI is extremely flawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Mokuba wrote: »
    BMI is extremely flawed.

Yeah but for the average person it's a decent guideline I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

In

118 KG
    Just started PT gym sessions twice a week and swapping work canteen for bringing my own lunches

Goal is 88 KG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

In

118 KG
    Just started PT gym sessions twice a week and swapping work canteen for bringing my own lunches

Goal is 88 KG

Good stuff.

Whatever you do - Make sure to get your PT to show you the compound lifts. Make sure you get your form right on these. That way after your PT is done you will be confident enough to do your own workout and have the knowledge to go it alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

In

118 KG

Goal is 88 KG

Bringing your own is a good idea. I have
    2 * 60 cal a slice bread (Aldi thins)
    Aldi mayo 9 cals a teaspoon
    Adli slice smoked salmon
    homemade Mexican bean soup (weight watchers recipe)

Every day for last 2 years. not for everyone having the same thing every day but certainly there are better alternatives to subways, chicken rolls which I use to survive on. and is way cheaper

Brekkie is porridge, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, cinnamon, nutmeg, honey num num

best of luck to you too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Count me in.

I will get back later with my weight

These are the kind of simple dinners I like when I'm dieting. Easy to make. Slimming world meals are great but I find they take ages to make and you don't have all the ingredients so I just kinda wing it and hope for the best. This concoction is a few M&S baby potatoes, loads of cabbage, 150 grams of 5% mince an onion, a stick of celery and a kallo stock cube, very low salt which is what I need to help bring down the ol blood pressure. Loads of pepper to spice it up.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4nSL4Cu2FdbUV3uu5

Eat out in the garden and it was lovely and makes me wonder why I don't do it more often. P. S. When I used to order chinese, when they answered they would just say are you having the usual tonight. And it was usually after about 6 beers. I'd say I've been consuming 5000 calories a day for the last few years, it's shocking stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

....... wrote: »
    Yeah I know, Rome wasn't built in a day! I'm not mad on any other type of minced meat. I suppose I just have to get into it.
    Yesterday was a roast chicken, I near eat the whole thing across 2 meals with a bag of tenderstem broccoli, and 4 Irish new season potatoes seasoned and airfried.
    Keep it nice and simple.
    Havin a nice cup of organic green tea now whick is replacing my normal tea ritual with milk.
    When I start to struggle for ideas in in the evening when my body is saying Where's the beer? Shouldn't we be ordering now? Last night I just eat a cold boiled egg I had in the fridge and a slice of McCambridge stone ground toasted, but it just wasn't the same:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Op,

I'm in the same boat as yourself....6 foot tall and weigh 100kgs. I'm not happy with my shape and have been meaning to start trying to lose weight for a while. I'd like to get close to 90kgs if I can. I'm going to follow this thread with interest and see if I can put some of the excellent suggestions above to good use.

All the best with your weight loss,

D.

....... wrote: »

Never even heard of it, I'll look it up thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Oh I like this idea.

I'm 95.6kg. I want in on this

I'm 118. 6'1"
    I'm in.

Edit, just ate half an apple tart, so from tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Can I get in on this lads? I'll never join a group or anything so this might help.

5 ft 10 or 180cms, 118kg or about 260 lbs which is 18 st 8

Target is 100kg. Brother is 100kg and he looks well, plenty of muscle mass like myself but he is much much leaner even at 100kg. Both of us bulky rugby players, I got fat he still looks very strong and fit. Only exercise is walking the dog. I went to 95kg in 2013 when I didn't have a car and cycled without changing my diet though so I think my body will respond well to exercise and diet.
    Are we going to do it on this thread?

Looking forward to it. Need a bit of support and happy to give it too.

Diet consists of meat, potatoes and bread really. Could do with getting fruit and veg in there really. Love stir fry which I always see mentioned here. It's in the supermarket I need to make the changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Why is it so easy to fall off and so hard to get back on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Not going to add to my earlier post too much, but just words of encouragement that it is doable. I went from circa 133kg to 71kg. Not in one go. Over several target weights, and my sporting goals changed (probably gone further than I might have needed too if it wasn't for catching the endurance sports bug)

My big advice after several attempts of big changes/ crash diets is make the changes slowly. That's what ultimately worked for me after a few years of yoyo-ing. if you're willing to stick to it and keep making incremental changes it is doable and is sustainable. You'll make a significant start with just portion control, and realising how much grazing you do, if you honestly track.

For tea I've just had a hard boiled egg(eggs from my own hens) sliced and on top of 2 slices of ryvita rye bread. That stuff tastes a lot better than I remember. Really tasty snack!

Can I get in on this lads? I'll never join a group or anything so this might help.

5 ft 10 or 180cms, 118kg or about 260 lbs which is 18 st 8

Target is 100kg. Brother is 100kg and he looks well, plenty of muscle mass like myself but he is much much leaner even at 100kg. Both of us bulky rugby players, I got fat he still looks very strong and fit. Only exercise is walking the dog. I went to 95kg in 2013 when I didn't have a car and cycled without changing my diet though so I think my body will respond well to exercise and diet.
    Are we going to do it on this thread?

Looking forward to it. Need a bit of support and happy to give it too.

Diet consists of meat, potatoes and bread really. Could do with getting fruit and veg in there really. Love stir fry which I always see mentioned here. It's in the supermarket I need to make the changes.
    Of course. We probably should make a dedicated thread. Who wants to do it:) I would but I'm fixing up my bike for tomorrow.

Why is it so easy to fall off and so hard to get back on ?
    Laziness I suppose is the worst offender. Its easier to eat crap all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

5' 10.5"..... 86.2kg. Typical dad bod. Want to get to 81/82.

So what's the process? Update with the exercise you did that day? Maybe share meal tips?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Woah woah woah. All that information.

Stop overloading the op.

You know the number one cause of a bad BMI score is trying to follow all the crazy rules of a billion different diets.

People that know me around here know I take BMI seriously.

Very seriously. I’m reading the heights and weights and I’m thinking “ my god their poor employers probably don’t know when they are going to show up for work”.

The trick op is to plan your eating.

You now eat how many meals you normally eat a day be that 3 or 5 or whatever.

When you finish meal one you think about what meal 2 will be then you eat it and plan meal 3 etc.

Don’t starve yourself. When you are lying in bed counting sheep plan out your meals instead.

If you starve yourself you take risks and chance finding something healthy in the fridge which always leads to takeaways. This can’t happen anymore food doesn’t get delivered. You are now a hunter if you want food go get it yourself. Don’t use the phone for it.

Today I fecked up and had no frozen chips in the freezer. I really wanted chips so I said feck it I’ll go the chipper. But I checked myself before I wrecked myself on the drive there. If I called I wouldn’t have.

I remembered I had a steak in the fridge to eat with the chips. So as a man, who if they ever forgot how to calculate BMI could be measured and weighed to show them the answer I said I’ll just get chips and fry the steak when I get home. Not ideal but better than chips a half pounder and a battered sausage.

Get in the habit of thinking about your meals.

This can take a few weeks. Then pick a meal you don’t need. Usually the one before bed. Over a few weeks make it smaller or lower in calories. Use brown bread, use less slices or brown rice or all the boring foods you wouldn’t even see in the supermarket because you don’t be in that aisle.

Then do it with another meal.

When you have 2 boring meals and the rest normal(like what normal weighted people eat) you will notice girls wolf whistling at you in the street. Ignore this your wife loved you when you had a bad BMI don’t run of with a BMI groupee.

I hope I’ve helped. If this doesn’t work get a job on a building site. Not as an architect or foreman but a real manual job and eat the exact same as you do now. This will burn maybe 2000 calories a day if you really exert yourself.

You can thank me one year from now or you can go back to your life and claim BMI isn’t important and it’s all about dexa. I don’t care I’m too busy refusing Netflix and chill invites, bloody BMI groupees.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Deise boii wrote: »
    Hello

I'm nearly 36 just under 6ft and in and around 15st 8lbs. I am fed up of being on the big side.

I used to play gaa and would go for a run once a week. I know I need to increase that. I can go for 10k in under an hour which I know would be quite slow but suppose it's a start.

Basically I'm here looking for advice about ways to get down to under 15st maybe closer to 14. I want to change my diet as sometimes it can be good but when work is busy and working long hours I notice it goes to pot

I had ideas that other people would join in here and we support eachother to try and loose a bit or just for encouragement.

Any takers?

Like you I played GAA when I was younger and then football with club team.

Xmas 2015 I was 37, 13st 7lbs and 5'10 and well out of shape..not fat but defo the wrong side of the BMI scale. Think they call it 'skinny fat'. Had not done any meaningful excerise in 5 years- very busy job and a young child and had another on the way. All the usual excuses. I did not want to be the stereotypical fat dad with beer gut at the school gate. So what did I do?

That January I joined a very friendly running club (not an athletics club). Started running 2-3 times a week building up to 5k. My ambition was to run a 5k. By March I was entering an running 10ks. By October I had run 2 half marathons and since then I have run countless events and 3 sub 4hour marathons. Typical...I couldnt just run a few 10k and be done with it. I had to go the whole hog.

Of course I had to change diet which to be fair was never bad- always been health conscious but defo did change it. Discovered new foods- Quinoa, Teff, Soya milk, Greek Yogurt, poached eggs, rye bread, porridge etc Yes plan your eating for the week when you go shopping.

My weight went from 13stone 7 to under 12 stone in the first 7 months. It is now just over 11 stone. The same weight when I was 18. I have gone from 36inch waist to 30/31 inch.Downside...several new wardrobes.:o

Personally I do not think just dieting is enough. You have to exercise.Yes it is hard and no you do not have to run marathons. But the guys and gals at the running club are great...we run with each other and enter events and egg each other on.

There is a very good app- MyfitnessPal. You can log all the calories you eat- it's amazing how many sneaky calories you could go through. I use Strava to log my miles and runs. Get into a routine and stick to it- ok easier said than done but it is is critical.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

You know the number one cause of a bad BMI score is trying to follow all the crazy rules of a billion different diets.
    It isn't complicated - if calories in are less than calories out you will lose weight. That's it.

Every "complicated" diet, low carb, intermittent fasting etc is just a way of restricting calories.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

We're all in the same boat so!! 43 5ft 9 and was 13 st 4/5.
    Stopped the crap last week and replaced the morning sambos with rocket, turkey/chicken and a small bit of dressing. Lunchtime sambos - now a fruit salad with yoghurt.
    12 st 10 last night.
    Belly has shrunk a tiny bit so that's a start.
    Cut out the bread as well (don't feel half as bloated).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

mfceiling wrote: »
    We're all in the same boat so!! 43 5ft 9 and was 13 st 4/5.
    Stopped the crap last week and replaced the morning sambos with rocket, turkey/chicken and a small bit of dressing. Lunchtime sambos - now a fruit salad with yoghurt.
    12 st 10 last night.
    Belly has shrunk a tiny bit so that's a start.
    Cut out the bread as well (don't feel half as bloated).

Yeah an average slice of bread is about 100 cals. Throw in 4 and that's 400 cals- 1/5 of your total daily allowance and thats before you put everything else on it.

Try more protein- eggs, Greek yogurt 0% and whey protein- get natural uncoloured with no colour or crap in it. Fills you up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

kubjones wrote:
    You absolutely can. The thing is depending on your diet, you'd need a lot more exercise.

That's just bad information, diet and nutrition are the cornerstone for weight, you will never shape up or loose weight if your diet is not under control.

While it is possible theoretically to burn more calories there's a point it becomes ridiculous, when exercising you burn about 8-10 calories per minute (optimistically) how many minutes strenuous exercise can you actually do (and keep doing)? If you're overeating by 1000 calories (very easy to do) that's an extra 100+ minutes training at reasonable intensity just to maintain current weight.

So much easier to knock out 40 mins to an hour of good quality training and keep to a reasonable calorific intake than trying to run a mini marathon each and every day.

Guy, track your cals and nutrition, get good quality exercise - job done.

Btw, you're not on your own, many had to take that first step.

Weighed in 1.6 kg lighter this morning. I'm well on my way to becoming crowned the UWC(Ultimate weightloss champion) blood pressure down a good 20% also. Stomach starting to feel softer and more comfortable.
    Conservatory will be so proud of me, less than 1kg will take me out of the obese catagory and back into the overweight catagory. I was in the ideal catagory(I was 81kg) 2 years ago and that's where I'm aiming to get back to.

Sipping a cup of green tea pondering what to have for breakfast. Probably 2 shredded wheat and a banana. Then probably a bacon madallion omelette with a bit of salad on the side for lunch. That's if the hens make enough eggs this morning, I'm using the eggs as quick as they make them at the moment. A few weeks ago I was dumping eggs on neighbours cause I had so many, they probably think I'm not talking to them or something because I stopped the egg deliveries.

Weighed in at 94.1kg this morning. I'm aiming to get down to 85kg before my wedding at the end of October.

It's not so much the food that kills me. Its the booze (although the food certainly wasn't helping) I'm cutting back from a few pints everyday to a couple drinks twice a week and changing beer/cider/wine to spirits. I'll still have the occasional pint, but it will be every other week and will only be one or two.

Tonight would have been two or three pitchers with a heap of chicken wings in the Woolshed because of the England match...

instead it's a fillet steak and veg with a couple of gin and soda waters with the missus watching the match on the telly.

Weighed in at 94.1kg this morning. I'm aiming to get down to 85kg before my wedding at the end of October.

It's not so much the food that kills me. Its the booze (although the food certainly wasn't helping) I'm cutting back from a few pints everyday to a couple drinks twice a week and changing beer/cider/wine to spirits. I'll still have the occasional pint, but it will be every other of weeks and will only be one or two.

Tonight would have been two or three pitchers with a heap of chicken wings in the Woolshed because of the England match...

instead it's a fillet steak and veg with a couple of gin and soda waters with the missus watching the match on the telly.
    That's a 1.5kg loss, well done....and iamtony is in the lead with 1.6kg loss giving him a 0.1 advantage going into day two:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

It's not so much the food that kills me. Its the booze (although the food certainly wasn't helping) I'm cutting back from a few pints everyday to a couple drinks twice a week and changing beer/cider/wine to spirits. I'll still have the occasional pint, but it will be every other of weeks and will only be one or two.

shouldn't be a bother, you will easily drop a kg a week for the first couple of months, don't have your suit made too early :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement