Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of being fat

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭forward8

I went from 23 stone to 16 stone over around 4 - 5 months by eating nothing but vegetables and water with no exercise. It'll make you miserable but no more miserable than being overweight for the next x amount of years. I regularly update an excel sheet tracking my weight but also use weight tracker apps on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

forward8 wrote:
    I went from 23 stone to 16 stone over around 4 - 5 months by eating nothing but vegetables and water with no exercise. It'll make you miserable but no more miserable than being overweight for the next x amount of years. I regularly update an excel sheet tracking my weight but also use weight tracker apps on the phone.

There are much easier ways but well done, that's some commitment and dedication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

I think an important thing to remember is that eating healthy food is just as pleasurable and satisfying as eating chocolate and other junk food. For about two years I had an awful diet and decided to make a change. In the past few months I've been cooking my own meals, mainly vegetable and fruit dishes, and have never felt better.

iamtony wrote: »
    That's a 1.5kg loss, well done....and iamtony is in the lead with 1.6kg loss giving him a 0.1 advantage going into day two:)

I knew I should have forced out a poo!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

That is extremely unhealthy and very unsustainable. Would not recommend anybody else tries that. (The vegetable and water diet)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Mokuba wrote: »
    That is extremely unhealthy and very unsustainable. Would not recommend anybody else tries that. (The vegetable and water diet)

its more unsustainable than unhealthy, its not as extreme as a gastric band for example , in the longer term they would need to switch to a sustainable way of eating and not just slip into old ways.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Surely it's just being vegan ?

Well done , but I could never do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

....... wrote: »

I think a large part of a diet not being miserable is being able to cook.

For example, you can bulk out a stir fry with a lot of veg and get a big volume of food for a relatively small price, calorie-wise.

I'd rather be sent to the 7th Circle of Hell than live on vegetables and water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

....... wrote: »
    I can't handle raw celery, love it cooked but raw its too over powering. I may have to go to lidl and mimic your lunch minus the celery. Sound tasty! When you say lidl salad are you talking about the mixed leaves in bags? I grow my own lettuce and rocket etc but I'm waiting on a new batch to mature but since doing that I find the supermarket lettuce to be awful sometimes.
    Ikea do a great hydroponic unit that grows lettuce really will for about 100 euro. Once the plants are growing leaves you just pick them as you need them. I got about 6 months of lettuce before the heads started shooting up to go to seed so I've more growing now but it's too small to eat yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Deise boii wrote: »
    Hello

I'm nearly 36 just under 6ft and in and around 15st 8lbs. I am fed up of being on the big side.

I used to play gaa and would go for a run once a week. I know I need to increase that. I can go for 10k in under an hour which I know would be quite slow but suppose it's a start.

Basically I'm here looking for advice about ways to get down to under 15st maybe closer to 14. I want to change my diet as sometimes it can be good but when work is busy and working long hours I notice it goes to pot

I had ideas that other people would join in here and we support eachother to try and loose a bit or just for encouragement.

Any takers?

Best of luck with it. I would just like to offer a couple of pieces of advice.

1) It's not just either/or, it is watching what you eat AND exercising.

2) Don't exercise so much that you end up avoiding it when the ****ty weather comes.

3) Set REALISTIC goals for weight and for fitness.

4) Buy a Fitbit or equivalent, ideally a watch version. A lot of people buy the cheapies which do not have a face on them, so you have to go to the trouble of checking the app on your phone. It's got to be easy to do. We all have inbuilt OCD, so you will find yourself checking the steps on your watch regularly, and that will push you on to get to your daily target or beyond.

5) If you usually do 10-15,000 steps a day, set your daily target at 10-11,000 so even if the day is bad or you just don't feel up to it, you will still want to make that target.

6) Drink plenty of water.

7) If you don't want to get into all those diets, use a smaller plate and eat less of what you currently eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

Log everything on myfitness pal.

Find your daily maintenance calories and eat under it.

Use calories like money. You can only spend what you have i.e Maintenace Less % so could be 2,500 caloures - 20% = 2000 calories per day to spend.

For me I ate 1800 calories on average. I have lost around 16 kg since April.

Keep it simple. Shakes, Pills, Powders etc don't bother. Eat real food try get lots of protein in and try not waste your calories on liquids e.g. Milk, Fizzy drinks, Alcohol.

Finally and most importantly be consistent. No point eating 1800 a day for Mon-Fri and then blasting through 3.5k calories on a Saturday and Sunday. Consistency is king.

Good luck

p.s. Sorry but its very very boring being in a calorie deficit for a long period and consistently but sacrifices must be made. Just depends on how much you want it. Of course you can have cheat days but again how quick you want/make progress will depend on the amount of cheat days you have.

big syke wrote: »
    p.s. Sorry but its very very boring being in a calorie deficit for a long period and consistently but sacrifices must be made. Just depends on how much you want it. Of course you can have cheat days but again how quick you want/make progress will depend on the amount of cheat days you have.

the secret is be in calorie deficit while being satisfied when you finish a meal , people will get fed up if every meal isn't satisfying, it will feel worse than a prison sentence

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

A cheat day once a week is no harm where you take the foot off the pedal a little. Consistency over the other six days is very important though.

It's also worth saying that you can still eat 'crap' stuff if you so chose, just eat less of it or take slightly better options....at the end of the day, purely from a weight POV in the first instance, it's more about calories and you've got to treat the process of change like a gradual incline rather than a sheer cliff face.

I only say that because the biggest trap people fall into is trying to go cold turkey on a radical diet plan and usually ends up being totally unsustainable.

As others said you definitely can't out train a bad diet or excess consumption of calories (unless you're really into heavy lifting, that does tend to mitigate questionable diets well enough as long as the protein/carb ratio is OK)

Start small....just have a think about what you're eating, what substitutions can be made in some cases, maybe track out a diet plan that limits your calorie intake to a sustainable level and get some decent exercise in. It's about being more sensible, not necessarily suddenly cutting out everything 'bad'.

Going down to 14st will be easy with any sort of effort that combines kitchen/exercise (mostly kitchen though). It's getting from that to a leaner 13st odd that you will find harder.

silverharp wrote: »
    the secret is be in calorie deficit while being satisfied when you finish a meal , people will get fed up if every meal isn't satisfying, it will feel worse than a prison sentence

Yeah tís true, you can't live on lettuce. Change of plan for lunch, I ended up having 2 low salt bacon madallions with a fried egg between 2 slices of toasted McCambridge fried in a bit of coconut oil. Very satisfying indeed. Balanced it out with a glass of apple cider vinegar in water and another cup of green tea.
    The hardest bit is having a family and still having to cook lovely greasy burgers and chips and stuff for them, that's why I had what I just had.

Need to up the leafy greens for dinner now. I'll have a nice salad with some ham and boiled egg I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Of course. We probably should make a dedicated thread. Who wants to do it:) I would but I'm fixing up my bike for tomorrow.

Would love this

A cheat day once a week is no harm where you take the foot off the pedal a little. Consistency over the other six days is very important though.

Well it is and it isn't. If you have a a 500 calorie deficit over 6 days = 3,000.

you could easily ruin this in a day.

6 pints = circa 1,500 calories = 3 days of good work gone
    Half large pizza = circa 1500 calories = another 3 good days gone.

You have now no progress over the week after a tough 6 days.

you need to carefully assess your cheat days

• Registered Users Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Well it is and it isn't. If you have a a 500 calorie deficit over 6 days = 3,000.

Agreed. I'm not planning for cheat days at all, but there'll be the inevitable family/friend event or occasion every couple of weeks and so I'll allow myself to indulge a bit on those occasions, so that'll count as "cheat days". Other than that, it's about finding good food you like so you don't want a cheat day.

Penn wrote: »
    Agreed. I'm not planning for cheat days at all, but there'll be the inevitable family/friend event or occasion every couple of weeks and so I'll allow myself to indulge a bit on those occasions, so that'll count as "cheat days". Other than that, it's about finding good food you like so you don't want a cheat day.

Absolutely. Kerrigans butchers do lovely "fake aways" at around 400-550 calries that are lovely that you may want to check out.

I was 100% strict first 4 weeks and no booze for almost 6.

I have found a balance and now I can have a take away and few beers (Corona light and Bulmers light both under 100 calories for long neck).

Hoping to lose another 10-15 kg to get to 75kg so will do another strict block or 2 before xmas.

It is a lifestyle change as much as anything and as I said good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Surely it's just being vegan ?

Well done , but I could never do that

Nah, us vegans do not want to be associated with that sad diet! You can eat healthy and still have a really tasty diet. The main thing is knowing about food and learning to cook. I'm pretty lazy but when I was losing weight (~11kg in 8 weeks) I still ate a lot of food! Here was one week I logged and tbh I could do a lot better if I had cooked more stuff myself, a good bit was bought due to being busy, and tbh I guess it is all vegetables and water :D:

Monday:

10:30 - Breakfast Muesli with almond milk. (Wheat, Oats, Raisins, Almonds, Hazelnuts) Water.

14:00 - Lunch 400g Lentil and vegetable soup (Celery, Onions, Carrots, Potatoes, Lentils, Olive Oil, Salt, Bay Leaves.). Water.

18:00 - Dinner 400g Brown rice & Spanish bean stew (Red Beans, Tomatoes, Onions, Green Peppers, Courgettes, Sweet Corn, Green Chillies, Garlic, Sunflower Oil, Salt, Coriander/Spices, Olive Oil, Black Pepper.). Supplements (Omega 3, D3, Iodine, B12 - Varies depending on what I’ve eaten.). Brazil nut. Water.

20:30 - Snack: Ben and Jerry's. :-O Water.

Tuesday:

11:00 - Breakfast Muesli with almond milk. Water.

15:00 - Lunch 400g Bean Chilli (Onions, Sweet Peppers, Jalapenos, Red Beans, Tofu Mince, Rice Flour, Sunflower Oil, Garlic, Spices, Salt.). Water.

18:30
    - Dinner Burrito bowl (Long Grain White Rice With Lime, Onions, Mixed Peppers, Pinto Beans, Black Beans, Sweet Corn Salsa, Tomato Salsa, Guacamole.). Water.

22:30 - Snack: Supplements. Brazil nut. Water.

Wednesday:

11:00
    - Breakfast Muesli with almond milk. Water.

15:25 - Lunch 400g Lentil/veg soup. Water.

18:30 - Dinner Two Baked Potatoes With Tomato Curry (Passata, Tomato Purée, Soy Sauce, Onions, Broccoli, Tofu, edamame, Peas, Linda McCartney Sausage.).
    Water.

23:00 - Snack: Supplements. Brazil Nut. Water.

Thursday:

14:30/15:00 - Lunch Seitan Jerky. 400g Bean & Tofu Chilli Water.

20:00
    - Dinner Baked Potatoes & Curry. (Passata, Tomato Purée, Kidney Beans, LMC Sausage, Cumin, Smoked Paprika, Garlic.). Brazil Nut. Supplements. Water.

Friday:

13:30 - Lunch 400g Lentil/veg Soup. Water.

19:00 - Dinner Boiled Potatoes, Broccoli, LMC Sausages, Brown Sauce, Gravy. Brazil Nut. Supplements. Water.

Saturday:

12:00 - Breakfast Soy Protein Yogurt (25g protein). Water.

15:30 - Lunch Edamame. Ramen (Noodles, Teriyaki Tofu, Spring Onions, Bamboo Shoots, Bean Sprouts, Spinach, Shiitake Mushrooms, Shoyu Broth). Green Tea.

22:00 - Dinner 400g Italian Veg Stew (Tomatoes, Onions, Chickpeas, Sweet Peppers, Courgettes, Kale, Brown Rice, Mushrooms, Olive Oil, Garlic, Salt, Basil, Black Pepper.). Brazil Nut. Supplements. Water.

Sunday:

11:30
    - Breakfast Smoothie (Banana, Pea Protein, Hemp Protein, Peanut Butter, Cocoa, Soy Milk.).

15:30
    - Lunch/Dinner Seitan Kebab (Wrap, Seitan, Red cabbage, courgette, pickled carrot, spinach, spicy mayo sauce.). Water.

21:30
    - Snack Edamame. Brazil Nut. Supplements. Water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

When you say lidl salad are you talking about the mixed leaves in bags?

Have you tried the Lidl Deluxe Trio of Mixed Leaves ? I'm not a salad fan (!), but I love these.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Surely
    ice Cream
    Brown Sauce
    Gravy
    Mayo

mean your vegetarian not Vegan

And why do Vegetarians always eat veggie takes on meat products (veggie sausages and the like ) surely if it tastes better to be vegetarian you wouldn't be faking meat products !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

But nothing is being ruined. In the OP's case, he's on a calorie deficit for six days, and let's say on the 'rest' day he has a feed of pints and a takeaway?

He'd still lose weight easily as the overall calories consumed per 7 days is still way lower than what it would have been originally to maintain 100kg/16st or whatever it is.

What you're describing would be more applicable if someone was trying to lose the last bit of stubborn fat, or go on an actual cut, but otherwise had a pretty normal BMI, etc.

For the average guy several stone overweight, 6 days @ 2-2.2kcal with decent exercise and a 7th @ 3-3.5kcal will not stop them losing weight pretty easily.

As I said, no point trying to go into it full steam off the bat and convincing yourself that you can't have x, y or z. It's about sense and portion control as much as it is the actual foods being consumed. Find something sustainable and workable in the longer term.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Nothing wrong with a cheat day, or falling off the wagon. Just track it, suck up it'll effect the rate of loss, but don't let a bad day turn into a bad weekend into a bad week. Record, forget about it, get back on track.

Personally I kept my Friday night beers and crisps, as it was an important social thing for me. I just accounted for it.

Also Google fakeaways. There's a taco chips one that I actually prefer to the chipper version.

But nothing is being ruined. In the OP's case, he's on a calorie deficit for six days, and let's say on the 'rest' day he has a feed of pints and a takeaway?

He'd still lose weight easily as the overall calories consumed per 7 days is still way lower than what it would have been originally to maintain 100kg/16st or whatever it is.

What you're describing would be more applicable if someone was trying to lose the last bit of stubborn fat, or go on an actual cut, but otherwise had a pretty normal BMI, etc.

For the average guy several stone overweight, 6 days @ 2-2.2kcal with decent exercise and a 7th @ 3-3.5kcal will not stop them losing weight pretty easily.

As I said, no point trying to go into it full steam off the bat and convincing yourself that you can't have x, y or z. It's about sense and portion control as much as it is the actual foods being consumed. Find something sustainable and workable in the longer term.

Cheat days work or they did for me , Saturday I would eat whatever I want , made sure I had toast , some chocolate, a pizza maybe , by Tuesday I was back to my Friday weight. It is just not something I want to do now and as such I don't crave these things now.

silverharp wrote: »
    Cheat days work or they did for me , Saturday I would eat whatever I want , made sure I had toast , some chocolate, a pizza maybe , by Tuesday I was back to my Friday weight. It is just not something I want to do now and as such I don't crave these things now.

That's the thing they are important for the first while as they ease the cravings for crap. They say it takes at least 6 weeks to build a habit. Be it good of bad so after 6 weeks your body will start craving the good food.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UrZVvmy4dKTfvDec6

Change of plan for dinner, I'll have the salad for tea I swear:p
    Roast veg, onion, courgette, tomato, turnip, small cubes of potatoes, tomatoes, red and yellow peppers. Loads of chicken breast, and tender stem broccoli. About 5-600 calories and I'm stuffed to the gills and very satisfied.
    Now for the after dinner green tea ritual.

Macy0161 wrote: »

Also Google fakeaways. There's a taco chips one that I actually prefer to the chipper version.
    is that the one with the potato wedges around the side of the oven dish? If so my missus makes it and it's awesome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭Penn

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UrZVvmy4dKTfvDec6

Change of plan for dinner, I'll have the salad for tea I swear:p
    Roast veg, onion, courgette, tomato, turnip, small cubes of tomatoes, red and yellow peppers. Loads of chicken breast, and tender stem broccoli. About 5-600 calories and I'm stuffed to the gills and very satisfied.
    Now for the after dinner green tea ritual.

I was never one for eating vegetables my whole life. Part of the reason I'm in the state I am now. But last night, I had a pork chop medallion with roast broccoli and sweet potato chips (both tossed in paprika and chilli powder before roasting) and they were f*cking delicious. And only about 500cals.

I'm actually looking forward to another helping tonight :D

Advertisement