Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ketogenic forum

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Ladyinthedark

Mellor wrote: »
    Cakes, biscuits, etc are typically pretty carby. There are probably low-carb versions suitable for keto in small doses. But it's not really the first thing you should be running to buy on day 1.

I’m struggling on a diet I started a week ago it consists of all veg steamed boiled and no chocolate bars or junk so I’m hungry going to bed at night and the early mornings I have broccoli sweet pot and carrots and green beans a while ago I’m
    Just struggling and if I can make cook something that doesn’t have refined sugars in it I’d be delighted a lot of the recipes I googled come up with American ingredients so any help anyone could give me I would be delighted I’m just planning on going to aldi lidl shortly today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That sounds like an awful diet. It definitely isnt a keto diet.
    But there's no chocolate, junk or refined sugar allowed on Keto either.

Mellor wrote: »
    That sounds like an awful diet. It definitely isnt a keto diet.
    But there's no chocolate, junk or refined sugar allowed on Keto either.

Thanks and it is but a lot healthier then what I have been eating would you yourself know a list of meal s or a website to help me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,676 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I’m struggling on a diet I started a week ago it consists of all veg steamed boiled and no chocolate bars or junk so I’m hungry going to bed at night and the early mornings I have broccoli sweet pot and carrots and green beans a while ago I’m
    Just struggling and if I can make cook something that doesn’t have refined sugars in it I’d be delighted a lot of the recipes I googled come up with American ingredients so any help anyone could give me I would be delighted I’m just planning on going to aldi lidl shortly today

That doesn’t sound like a keto diet. You are just eating cooked veg? it would explain the hunger. My first thought is change the diet, does the diet have a name?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    That doesn’t sound like a keto diet. You are just eating cooked veg? it would explain the hunger. My first thought is change the diet, does the diet have a name?

No I just choose to stop fried foods and sugary snacks

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭mille100piedi

Keto diet is an high fat diet, if you want to follow a low fat diet this is not the right pace to ask for advise

Keto diet is an high fat diet, if you want to follow a low fat diet this is not the right pace to ask for advise

I understand that that’s why I’m here

No I just choose to stop fried foods and sugary snacks

Ok but you sound like you have just jumped into a very low to zero fat and protein diet which isn’t very sustainable. I don’t know if it needs to be vegetarian but at least add in things like avocados , if it doesn’t need to vegetarian , eggs , seafood and meat should be part of the picture. Are you trying to keep the calories very low or is that secondary?

Ive no particular website to go to but type in a few terms into youtube like keto snacks or low carb snacks maybe add UK as well so you will see more British youtubers and you will get plenty back, there are plenty of recipes that revolve around ground almond flour and various nuts so add those terms in too to narrow it down , all easy to pick up in a supermarket

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Maybe start with taking a look on here https://www.reddit.com/r/ketorecipes/?st=JM689NGM&sh=38fce9b6 and doing a bit of research on keto before saying you are on it. Take a few days to a week to prepare yourself and get stocked up with some ingredients and this should help you with the transition in your first week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭Nollog

peanut butter is probably the best keto snack.

One of the natural shops sell a 95% chocolate bar, it's 8.2 grams for the whole bar, Aine I believe is the brand.
    A square with a coffee once or twice a day keeps my sweet tooth from killing me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Veg (growing underground as a general rule) is NOT allowed on keto. Lettuce, cabbage, kale, Brussel sprouts, rocket, spinach ARE allowed. My OH loves sprouts fried in butter.

Best advice I got when I started keto, was to embrace what you can eat. Dont try to replace what you cant eat with a keto-friendly version. They are out there .... But don't tease yourself.

It only takes a week to get into the swing of it. More preparation is required at home in the kitchen and in the shop .... But its worth it.

In a couple of weeks you wont want snacks, as you will be full longer .

Last bit of advice ..... Dont go to bed hungry! You need about 8 hours to process what you have eaten, so eating close to bed time, then again at breakfast, hardly gives your body time to process / rest / heal. Stop eating about 6 or 7 in the evening and aim for 12 to 16 hour break before eating again. Its easy after a week or two. Take it from a guy who had to eat every few hours (stipulated by work colleagues who could see me go downhill when I couldn't myself). Now I have occasional fast (few times a week) of 16 to 18 hrs.

In fact, dont get up from table hungry! The beauty of keto is you can eat large portions if they are of the right stuff. Fat is more filling than carbs.

I you have to have a snack (cause you missed a meal or something), have a tea or coffee with double cream, or some cheese, or nuts .... Bust as I say, you will need less & less as time goes on (and we are only talking about days here). Dont plan to have snacks. Have meals!

Keep it up.... It IS worth it...

I understand that that’s why I’m here
    Which kind of fat are you eating during your meals?if you don't eat fat of course you will feel hungry and you will need to snack, one of the best advantage of the keto diet is that there is no need to snack, but you have to spend more time in the kitchen

Good news. My son has decided to go keto, and has completed his first day at work on new regime (was 2 days into it before going to work). First steps are the hardest!

Good news 2. OH hit lifetime record of 4 stone lost on a single diet. Thx to her I am on this plan. She is definitely leading by example! Go you!x!

Any tips for surviving fast food outlets and similar? Not normally an issue for me but still curious to see what people are doing, someone I follow on twitter posted that they had been at a Wendys in the US and they sold them the patties with some bacon on top. My main concern would be any oils used in cooking them? If you asked for something similar in Ireland in a McD’s , one would they do it, and assuming the meat is basically ok do they actually use cooking oil or are they just basically grilled?, normally I have just gone with their chicken salad option. Another type of restaurant is the Chinese buffet, its years since ive been at one but is it possible to eat meat and fish and maybe some simple veg without the use of crappy oils , sugar and MSG etc.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭cumulonimbus

When I first started Keto I would choose the drumsticks in KFC. They are easier to peel than the other pieces of chicken. Now I prefer the bbq chicken wings from Centra. They don’t have any breadcrumb coating and the bbq marinade on them does not spike my blood sugar.

When I first started Keto I would choose the drumsticks in KFC. They are easier to peel than the other pieces of chicken. Now I prefer the bbq chicken wings from Centra. They don’t have any breadcrumb coating and the bbq marinade on them does not spike my blood sugar.

deli sections tend to be fine , can pick up hard boiled eggs , bacon , chicken etc.

silverharp wrote: »
    Any tips for surviving fast food outlets and similar? Not normally an issue for me but still curious to see what people are doing, someone I follow on twitter posted that they had been at a Wendys in the US and they sold them the patties with some bacon on top. My main concern would be any oils used in cooking them? If you asked for something similar in Ireland in a McD’s , one would they do it, and assuming the meat is basically ok do they actually use cooking oil or are they just basically grilled?, normally I have just gone with their chicken salad option. Another type of restaurant is the Chinese buffet, its years since ive been at one but is it possible to eat meat and fish and maybe some simple veg without the use of crappy oils , sugar and MSG etc.?

On the rare occasion i go to mcdonalds, they do indeed do a quarter pounder with no bun. Some will give you a little plastic cutlery set for it.
    No idea about the rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

would it be very difficult to combine this diet with being coeliac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Brian201888

No quite the opposite, would essentially be the perfect diet for it

• Advertisement

the deputy leader of the british labour party Tom Watson lost 7 stone and reversed his diabetes on a version of a low carb diet. Public Health England went after his doctor.

https://twitter.com/DiscoStew66/status/1043781485294104576

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Double cheeseburger with just cheese and just mayo on it
    €2 from the eueosaver menu in McDonalds
    Don't eat the bun (slide the meat out, use the bun to hold the meat as you slide it out)
    = keto fast food

I repeat. Don't eat the bun!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭klm1

Have just restarted Keto after a holiday that involved way too much wine and carb heavy foods. Have to say I always feel an immediate benefit to cutting out carbs. My missus thinks I'm imagining it, but like someone else mentioned above, I think I have an issue with the digestion of carbs as they make me look and feel terrible.
    Glad I found this thread as it seems to have a lot of knowledgeable people and useful posts.

For lunch I prep chicken and bacon on a Sunday for 5 lunches, its delicious hot or cold. Breakfast of nuts and cheese is delicious and simple to prep too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

While most people do well on keto it appears that it’s not suited for everyone, if you have one or two copies of the ‘ApoE4’ gene you react to saturated fat differently to someone who doesn’t. It’s widely accepted in the scientific community that if you carry this gene saturated fat intake will lead to a higher level of small dense LDL cholesterol and you will also hang on to it longer in the bloodstream. The small dense LDL is what oxidises into plaques and ultimately causes heart disease and higher risk factors for Alzheimer’s.

In the UK around 25% of the population carry one or more copies of this ApoE4 gene so it’s not rare.

I’m not trying to fearmonger about keto, it’s great for most people but if you have a history of heart disease or Alzheimer’s in your family it might be worth getting a blood test or genetic test done.

If you've ever done a dna test with 23andme you can plug your raw data into promethease and get a full report.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭missrandomer

Do any of you guys drink on Keto?
    I find that I cant stick to keto and IF as im having 2 glasses of wine at the weekend even kicks me out.

Would bicardi and diet coke be a no go on keto?

Do any of you guys drink on Keto?
    I find that I cant stick to keto and IF as im having 2 glasses of wine at the weekend even kicks me out.

Would bicardi and diet coke be a no go on keto?

Rum/vodka/whiskey and diet coke is generally ok but some people report an insulin response from sweeteners found in diet coke so it can vary. Also spiced rum can have sugar in it so probably best avoided.

A single glass of dry red such as merlot shouldn't have a huge effect on ketosis but it varies with the individual.

When you drink your liver will pause fat burning to deal with the alcohol. Booze will also hit you a lot harder when in keto.

Rum/vodka/whiskey and diet coke is generally ok but some people report an insulin response from sweeteners found in diet coke so it can vary. Also spiced rum can have sugar in it so probably best avoided.

Interesting about the insulin response, I wonder how much diet drink in one night could kick you out.

is there any apps for Keto? or what macros is norm for keto

I drink massive amounts of sweetened drinks, I believe insulin is only an issue really if you've got diabetes.

Here's a good keto macros calculator. https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

I used 'Carb Manager' for a while as an app to count carbs, but in the end found MFP to be better.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    I drink massive amounts of sweetened drinks, I believe insulin is only an issue really if you've got diabetes.

keep it up and it might get you there :pac:

• Advertisement

/\/ollog wrote: »

Would this not throw you our of Ketosis? Do you test yourself? Why drink sweetened drinks? Does it not seem counter productive? Sorry for all the questions, I just cant get my head around choosing a restrictive WOE whilst swilling sweetened drinks..

klm1 wrote: »
    Here's a good keto macros calculator. https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

I used 'Carb Manager' for a while as an app to count carbs, but in the end found MFP to be better.

Thanks for that, I use mfp but I don't know how to amend the macros in it.

I go on the basis that of carbs about 20g but my fats are always hard as I don't know how to get them during the day, I don't like coconut oil anymore (I know, I know you cant taste it...:D) but I can.

Oh I can taste Coconut Oil too, especially any good quality coconut oil.

Best ways to get fat in during the day for me are; Nuts, Almonds etc.; (Cashews are higher in carbs than almonds) Peanut butter, Cheese is brilliant, I'll bring 50g a day cut into sticks into work with me; I fry everything in butter; Don't choose lean meats; Eat bacon with every meal, the streaky fattier stuff (just watch for carbs in the nutri into before buying)

I make peanut butter fat bombs sometimes, they can help boost your fat if struggling.

I think you can only amend macros in MFP in the premium version. could be wrong on that. I have the premium version and can amend them..

Interesting about the insulin response, I wonder how much diet drink in one night could kick you out.

I remember reading of people having insulin responses to stevia and aspartame but to be honest I think its fairly rare and not significant so I wouldn't worry about it.

When i was doing keto my replacement for beer and crisps was vodka and coke zero with a few bags of pork scratchings. It definitely stalled everything but never set me back much.

Read an interesting article recently, about a doctor who put a patient on keto, and when she came back for a 1 month check-up, the lady had not lost any weight. The doc expected her to be disappointed, but the lady was delighted to have stuck to diet and felt terrific. Sleeping better. More energy. Generally feeling "fitter". She lost weight in the months that followed, and the article reminded me that weight loss on keto is a side effect, an added bonus. The prime effect is healing and balancing insulin and generally fixing all the years of bad eating.

If you have started keto and dont see any improvement in the first week, or 2, or 4.....it doesn't mean it isn't having an effect. Hang in there! It is working! The weight loss will come. The longer it is before the scales back you up just means that your body had more to do before it gets round to the business of switching over to weight loss.

Would this not throw you our of Ketosis? Do you test yourself? Why drink sweetened drinks? Does it not seem counter productive? Sorry for all the questions, I just cant get my head around choosing a restrictive WOE whilst swilling sweetened drinks..

It doesn't seem to. I don't test myself. I drank just water before starting keto, or dilute about 40 times lower than the packs say you should use, so massive amounts might be misleading.

Why? It's handy. I like the flavour. I never started this to have less sugar anyway.

My blood glucose was very high before, and very very low now, I forgot the actual numbers, but from a blood test done early in the year versus a month and a half ago, it's much improved at least. Seeing those results made me think about cutting back more when I go back to bread, which will eventually happen.

That's great news about your blood glucose. I think i misunderstood your message, you're talking about dilutable drinks, I heard 'diet coke etc..' my bad!

I think I finally have irrefutable evidence that I have some sort of an issue with carbs that keto solves for me, either an intolerance or I cannot digest them properly, I have no idea which. Here's whats led me to this belief;

For the past while I've been on Keto, I immediately felt better, more energy, clearer head, less bloating, feel lighter in general and less mood swings oddly enough. My weight dropped significantly to a recent low of 13st10lbs. (from close to 16st despite my attempts at calorie counting and more)

I stopped Keto to go on holidays to Italy for 2 weeks. During that 2 weeks I gained 12.5lbs, even though I didn't eat terribly and was very active.

I returned from the holiday to find my weight had ballooned to 14st. 8.5lbs and got straight back onto Keto.

In the first week of being back on Keto and off carbs, all that holiday weight has fallen off and I'm back to 13st 10.5lbs.

I'm very strict on Keto, never going over 20g of carbs a day. I always hit my fat and protein goals and gym for 1.5hrs every morning.

In the past I have tried varied ways of eating, counting calories, low fat, IF, and others, all to no avail.

Really seems to me now that once carbs are involved, I was doomed to fail and Keto is my best option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

My weight dropped significantly to a recent low of 13st10lbs. (from close to 16st despite my attempts at calorie counting and more)

I stopped Keto to go on holidays to Italy for 2 weeks. During that 2 weeks I gained 12.5lbs, even though I didn't eat terribly and was very active.

I returned from the holiday to find my weight had ballooned to 14st. 8.5lbs and got straight back onto Keto.

In the first week of being back on Keto and off carbs, all that holiday weight has fallen off and I'm back to 13st 10.5lbs.

It's great that keto woirks for you. But if you are going to take this seriously, and not treat it as a fat diet. You should read up on glycogen storage and the water along with it.

You probably store at 500g of glycogen in your muscles and liver. Maybe more. When you store glycogen you store water with it. To the tune of 4g water per 1g glycogen. So loading up glycogen vrs depleting glycogen means an instant swing in body weight of up to 3kg. Maybe more.

• Advertisement

I think I finally have irrefutable evidence that I have some sort of an issue with carbs that keto solves for me, either an intolerance or I cannot digest them properly, I have no idea which. Here's whats led me to this belief;

For the past while I've been on Keto, I immediately felt better, more energy, clearer head, less bloating, feel lighter in general and less mood swings oddly enough. My weight dropped significantly to a recent low of 13st10lbs. (from close to 16st despite my attempts at calorie counting and more)

I'm very strict on Keto, never going over 20g of carbs a day. I always hit my fat and protein goals and gym for 1.5hrs every morning.

In the past I have tried varied ways of eating, counting calories, low fat, IF, and others, all to no avail.

Really seems to me now that once carbs are involved, I was doomed to fail and Keto is my best option.

Funnily enough I lost a kg on my last holiday, usual continental style buffet , I just loaded up on scrambled egg, bacon, sausages and some grilled veg. lunch I tended to make a salad and evening just avoided carb loaded meals, tended to go for meat/fish with extra veg. The hotel had a nice gym attached so I went there every other day.
    My main quandary now is xmas day , go for a regular blow out all you can eat carbs or just all you can eat low carb lol.

I hear ya, I do love an old style Christmas dinner, I'd imagine if I go around to my Mother in Laws on Christmas day and start being picky I'll be booted out! I'm considering calling my Christmas dinner a 'carb cycling experiment' :cool:

The hotel in Italy that my Missus had her heart set on didn't have a gym, before going when I suggested to her that we needed to book one with a gym, I got the eyes to heaven. She already complains that Work and Gym take up too much time, so I opted for the easier option!

I hear ya, I do love an old style Christmas dinner, I'd imagine if I go around to my Mother in Laws on Christmas day and start being picky I'll be booted out! I'm considering calling my Christmas dinner a 'carb cycling experiment' :cool:

The hotel in Italy that my Missus had her heart set on didn't have a gym, before going when I suggested to her that we needed to book one with a gym, I got the eyes to heaven. She already complains that Work and Gym take up too much time, so I opted for the easier option!

If I wanted a blow out xmas day one advantage would just be to test my blood sugar, it would be interesting after a year of dropping my carb intake way down would my insulin resistance have changed for the better or do I get great readings now only because I am eating well.

Put your foot down next time, first time ive used a gym on holidays but it added to the day, it helped that my wife likes swimming and our hotel had a 50mtr pool so she was happy, I was only doing cardio (I had an office move coming and wanted to get bike fit for commuting), Ive a low tolerance for sun so we only ever went to the beach around 3pm.
    Each to their own with gym work but it sounds like you do a lot during the week? I see various people posting online that they get a lot done with much less time than others?

Worth noting - if you have been on keto for a while, and strict on your carb intake, it can be very upsetting to your digestion if you fall off the wagon a Xmas or hols. Many people feel sick if they have a "cheat day". Not worth it, I'm told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I haven't been on keto long - just over a month and I too feel better with low carbs, however, weight is slow to drop and I do miss bread :(

There is a family history of digestive issues (serious) - a sibling diagnosed ceoliac quite late on in life too so I'm wondering is the gluten free aspect making me feel better.

But I am learning there is no substitute for potato ;)

Pretzill wrote:
    But I am learning there is no substitute for potato

Dont blame the butter for what the potato did! 😀

There is keto 90 second bread. Ideal for making a burger bun (burger, cheese, lettuce, fried egg....on top of toasted 90 second bread!!! big favourite in my house)

And there is fat-head pizza....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Interesting podcast with Joe Rogan who had Dom D'Agostino and Layne Norton on.

DD is a big advocate of keto but he did admit that the calorie balance is what determines weight loss and that it's just a tool that gets you there.

Did advocate a lot of other benefits but it was a pleasantly surprising discussion that didn't fall into the realm of extremes at either side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,270 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

DD is a big advocate of keto but he did admit that the calorie balance is what determines weight loss and that it's just a tool that gets you there.

I have to agree with this, total calories out must be more than calories in. The advantage of KETO is that it keeps you away from easy 1000 calorie chocolate and ice cream treats.

My personal hatred with KETO is the lack of life cal beer in my environment. So I end up giving up beer which means that KETO brings me to a target rather than a total lifestyle change.

another interesting Rogan one, a vegan doctor and someone who would be more paleo based. ive only listened to the first hour where they get into the quality of nutritional research

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Juwwi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Dont blame the butter for what the potato did! 😀

There is keto 90 second bread. Ideal for making a burger bun (burger, cheese, lettuce, fried egg....on top of toasted 90 second bread!!! big favourite in my house)

And there is fat-head pizza....

I have made 90 second bread - brilliant for keeping the carb cravings at bay... but no potato :)

And I won't make fathead pizza cos I'm scared about the amount of cals per slice.

Butter...oh god 😠how I have embraced the buttery goodness.

• Advertisement
Advertisement