Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ketogenic forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭mille100piedi

tony1980 wrote: »
    Has anyone come across Swerve Sweetener locally? I see it’s available on Amazon but I was hoping I might find it in a health shop.

I think it would be cheaper in Amazon anyway. I buy Natural Erythritol 2 Kg for 17 pounds and free delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Suppose it depends on the brand, Tesco's one here just adds water to their light milk. The Blue Dragon brand just removes an emulsifier and has more water. I guess when it's labelled as cream it is different too, as these are just the ones advertised as milk.

Possible a cream v milk difference.
    I only by cream, as I like my curry a bit thicker. Milk is for milkshakes ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'm not sure how strong or big your coconut cream containers are but take the one from Tesco here, it's 160ml of which 67% is coconut. The normal coconut milk is 56%, 400ml and cheaper but most importantly the water completely separates, meaning you can just pour it off and get much more coconut cream than the coconut cream, as it were. There are coconut cream sachets here too though which are just 100% creamed coconut, https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=250490888. They probably sell completely different products in Sydney.

If you put them in the fridge. It encourages the cream and water separates also. End up with really solid cram on top.

I think creamed coconut is different. It's puréed flesh. Still tasty in a curry though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Good morning Keto-ers!

Can someone please call to my house and make me some rashers and avocado. Oh and please bring cream and butter for my bullet proof coffee, I've nothing in the fridge.

I've been doing keto on and off for 4 years. The film Cereal Killers was my initial intro. Now on day 20 out of a 30 day keto challenge and that's it. I'm going to continue this way of eating for good from here on in.

I'd love to see restaurants offer keto options, or shops stocking more keto food. Omg a bakery with keto fat bombs and keto brownies!

Anyway delighted to have found this forum. Keto on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

amdublin wrote:
    Anyway delighted to have found this forum. Keto on!

I am surprised there isnt a bigger or older forum. Still, keto itself seems to be a slow burner subject.
    amdublin wrote:
    ...I've been doing keto on and off for 4 years...

I am only 6 weeks in, but loving it. Who couldn't like a diet (oops, I mean way-of-eating) that has bacon & eggs for breakfast and occasional steak for dinner!
    amdublin wrote:
    ...The film Cereal Killers was my initial intro...

The Magic Pill was my Damascus moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,045 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

This time around I have followed it for a month, 4kgs down, not as much as I expected, I pretty much have the macros down pat, it anything less Carbs than allowed, but my calorie intake is still higher than my burn, so although its said that calories don't matter, at least in my case they appear to have an impact.
    I guess that I have to get off my arse more :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Cavey wrote: »
    Reddit.com/r/vegan has just under 200k subs and /r/vegetarian has 104k subs.

reddit.com/r/keto has 657k subs

21% of the planets population are vegetarian.
    A lot less people are bro-science-atarians.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

smurfjed wrote: »
    This time around I have followed it for a month, 4kgs down, not as much as I expected, I pretty much have the macros down pat, it anything less Carbs than allowed, but my calorie intake is still higher than my burn, so although its said that calories don't matter, at least in my case they appear to have an impact.
    I guess that I have to get off my arse more :)

Calories definitely still matter. They are the determining factor in weight loss. Most people that say calories don't matter on keto mean it in the sense that the high level of fat you are eating will keep you feeling full well before you go way over your intake. Likewise most recommend if you are not loosing to try increasing the percentage of fat in your diet.

Does anybody have a keto recipes bread? I am experimenting now and I found the two following recipes good and very easy to make
    http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/the-best-low-carb-bread/ (in the oven)
    http://maria.recipes/flaxRoti (in the pan)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Does anybody have a keto recipes bread? I am experimenting now and I found the two following recipes good and very easy to make
    http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/the-best-low-carb-bread/ (in the oven)
    http://maria.recipes/flaxRoti (in the pan)

I make a quick microwave one , melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a small square container, add to that 1 egg, 2 tablespoons of ground flax seed, 1 tablespoon of almond flour and half a teaspoon of baking soda, I don’t think there is anything religious in the ratios , play around with them. Mix well, even it out and microwave for 90 seconds, take out leave to cool for a minute or 2, slice in 2 and stick in the toaster or not. I believe it doesn’t keep well so eat it that day.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    I make a quick microwave one , melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a small square container, add to that 1 egg, 2 tablespoons of ground flax seed, 1 tablespoon of almond flour and half a teaspoon of baking soda, I don’t think there is anything religious in the ratios , play around with them. Mix well, even it out and microwave for 90 seconds, take out leave to cool for a minute or 2, slice in 2 and stick in the toaster or not. I believe it doesn’t keep well so eat it that day.

I am diary free, I tried the 90 seconds bread with coconut oil, but I really didn't like it very much. I found out I prefer bread with no egg yolks and fat. It is lighter and then you can toast it and add nut butter, or salad,salami and garlic and make it like a bruschetta. Maria's bread lasts for several days

silverharp wrote:
    ... microwave for 90 seconds, take out leave to cool for a minute or 2, slice in 2 and stick in the toaster...

Yup. Love this 90 second bread. Mine is exact same. Ideal for a burger...with egg and cheese on top.

As an aid to keto, try intermittent fasting. This just means giving your system a good break so it can process food & heal. If, for example, you stop eating at 6pm on evening, then push out breakfast next morning by a few hours (say to 9am), and presto, your body has had a break of 15 hrs. My wife has break of 18 hrs and allows an eating window of 6 hrs (and 2 large meals in those 6).

Also, Holland & Barret are having a deal at the moment "buy 1 get 2nd for 1c" .... and MCT oil is included (all brands). If ordered through their website, they deliver for 2-something euro (if order over certain amount - cant remember amount but its not huge)

Keep kalm and keto on!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

As an aid to keto, try intermittent fasting. This just means giving your system a good break so it can process food & heal.

Curious...what is it healing from?

Curious...what is it healing from?

Inflammation is a biggie.
    General wear & tear of life.
    Your gut & digestive system.
    ....and the brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I've always liked the idea of IF but gotta keep those anabolic levels spiked which an 8 hour eating window just isn't gonna do.

Blacktie. wrote:
    I've always liked the idea of IF but gotta keep those anabolic levels spiked which an 8 hour eating window just isn't gonna do.

Check out Dr Jason Fung (on YouTube, Facebook or his book "the complete guide to fasting" ) and he says that studies have shown that intermittent fasting does not significantly lower your rates.

Blacktie. wrote:

Check out Dr Jason Fung (on YouTube, Facebook or his book "the complete guide to fasting" ) and he says that studies have shown that intermittent fasting does not significantly lower your rates.

An article on IF from libifit.com

Timeline

@8-12 hours after eating your last meal your body is in the post absorbitive state. your last meal is still in circulation in the body. this is not optimal for fat burning.

@12 hours your body is entering a fasted state. you are at the edge of entering optimal fat burning zone. human growth hormone (HGH) levels are rising to add in muscle growth. you are not yet really burning fat.

@16 hours your body is in the fasted fat burning state. HGH levels are high. this is a great time to exercise to lean up some muscle. you are at the tip of the fasting sweet spot.

@18 hours your body's ability to burn fat is growing exponentially. you are well into the fasting sweet spot.

@20 hours your body is a fat burning machine! HGH levels are skyrocketing. this is a great time to workout and build muscle.

@24 hours your body has reached the peak of fat-burning and peak of the fasting sweet spot. this is the pinnacle of fat burning.

Note; Intermittent fasting is a compliment to keto, and easier to do if your body is already fat adapted.

A personal recommendation - dont try for 24 fasting straight away. Ease yourself up to it. Try 12 hours one day and go back to your routine. Then a week later try 16, a week later try 18 etc.

• Advertisement

An article on IF from libifit.com

Timeline

@8-12 hours after eating your last meal your body is in the post absorbitive state. your last meal is still in circulation in the body. this is not optimal for fat burning.

@12 hours your body is entering a fasted state. you are at the edge of entering optimal fat burning zone. human growth hormone (HGH) levels are rising to add in muscle growth. you are not yet really burning fat.

@16 hours your body is in the fasted fat burning state. HGH levels are high. this is a great time to exercise to lean up some muscle. you are at the tip of the fasting sweet spot.

@18 hours your body's ability to burn fat is growing exponentially. you are well into the fasting sweet spot.

@20 hours your body is a fat burning machine! HGH levels are skyrocketing. this is a great time to workout and build muscle.

@24 hours your body has reached the peak of fat-burning and peak of the fasting sweet spot. this is the pinnacle of fat burning.

Note; Intermittent fasting is a compliment to keto, and easier to do if your body is already fat adapted.

A personal recommendation - dont try for 24 fasting straight away. Ease yourself up to it. Try 12 hours one day and go back to your routine. Then a week later try 16, a week later try 18 etc.

About 2 to 3 months ago I started doing ~18/6 or 1pm to 7pm during the week, it fits in easy with a regular hours job. Now im giving OMAD a try again during the week and its not that difficult , I do have a small bullet coffee at lunchtime but according to JF mentioned above as long as there is no protein/carbs and just the coconut /butter fat you aren’t cancelling out the effect.
    On the plus side my equivalent of a “cheat meal” is a nice healthy omelette for breakfast at the weekend. I’d like to think im pragmatic about this, I have some targets to hit, if it helps Ill stick with it, so far not noticed any ill effects.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote:
    About 2 to 3 months ago I started doing ~18/6 or 1pm to 7pm during the week, it fits in easy with a regular hours job.... if it helps Ill stick with it, so far not noticed any ill effects.

Thats good news SH. Hope it all stays good. Hoping to go to OMAD myself too. At 2 when not at work (and can have lie in). 2 plus snack when at work (12 hour days). Snack is coffee & cream plus nuts or cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Currently starting OMAD, does anyone know stockists of Macadamia nuts?

valoren wrote: »

Tesco do them, maybe not in their metro ones

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=262056861

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭cumulonimbus

valoren wrote: »
    I get mine at Holland & Barret.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

silverharp wrote: »
    I do have a small bullet coffee at lunchtime but according to JF mentioned above as long as there is no protein/carbs and just the coconut /butter fat you aren’t cancelling out the effect.

I've heard this but I find it very hard to believe a 500 calorie coffee keeps you in fasting mode tbh.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    I've heard this but I find it very hard to believe a 500 calorie coffee keeps you in fasting mode tbh.

The logic is that "fasting mode" is about elimination insulin response, not actually fasting.

Mellor wrote: »
    The logic is that "fasting mode" is about elimination insulin response, not actually fasting.

that's about it, there are possibly more benefits in pure water fasting but my focus is to increase insulin sensitivity. According to some coffee breaks a fast but even if true you are still getting benefits. Bone broth seems to be popular but that has protein in it so that's where I'd draw the line

AFAIK coffee (black) doesnt break your fast. But if you add cream/butter etc then it does (as they contain calories). But it doesnt spike your insulin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

Hi guys I'm really interested in learning about keto and see is it something that suits me. Iv tried slimming world and calorie counting before I want to try something totally different. Can anyone recommend somewhere to me that I can read up about everything, a dummy guide maybe. I'm googling but am getting confused along the way. Thanks for any help.

Advertisement