Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ketogenic forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Brian201888

R/Keto on Reddit has a lot of information

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭cumulonimbus

Dietdoctor.com has lots of information, videos and recipes. The site does prompt you to join up with a monthly membership fee but it provides loads of info for free. And there is also a 30 day free trial.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Tons of keto or lchf groups on facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Check out Magic Pill on YouTube or Netflix.

PS welcome to Keto! You wont regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

best uk\ireland keto facebook group??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Check out Magic Pill on YouTube or Netflix.

I wouldn't bother.

I'm not trying to píss on keto but the theses put forward are pretty weak.

And the suggestion that it could cure cancer is questionable, at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I wouldn't bother.

I'm not trying to píss on keto but the theses put forward are pretty weak.

And the suggestion that it could cure cancer is questionable, at best.

Everyone has the cure for cancer these days. The vegans, the keto people, the paleo crowd.

I wonder if, in say 20 years, we will look back on sugar consumption in the same way we look back at cigarettes now. My dad was a swimmer in his youth, and he says they often gave cigarettes as prizes! How times change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

Something in The Magic Pill which I personally was interested in was the possible benefits for kids with Autism which is close to heart for me. It’s something I want to at least try with my own kids as I do think a good clean diet could have a big affect on them, at least I hope it will!

I never watch these documentaries and just take their word for it but I do think it’s good to be open to these things and to at least consider the arguments brought forward by them.

I wonder if, in say 20 years, we will look back on sugar consumption in the same way we look back at cigarettes now. My dad was a swimmer in his youth, and he says they often gave cigarettes as prizes! How times change.

We won't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

ja1986 wrote: »
    Hi guys I'm really interested in learning about keto and see is it something that suits me. Iv tried slimming world and calorie counting before I want to try something totally different. Can anyone recommend somewhere to me that I can read up about everything, a dummy guide maybe. I'm googling but am getting confused along the way. Thanks for any help.

Some were mentioned a few pages back. Dr Berg was a good resource for me. Like many others out there, they all like to flog products or look for subscriptions from people, don’t get caught up with paying money to subscribe to anything. Just watch the videos, do some reading and take your time with it before deciding if it’s right for you.

Edit: In fact, I’d actually recommend with starting with Intermittent Fasting. Start with 3 good meals a day and no crap in between at all. Work your way towards two meals.

Some just do One Meal. I mix between two meals and some days one and occasionally a longer fast. Read up on it and don’t rush into it. Know how it all works first, then if you are happy, set a date to start with. Good Luck :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Hello all

I'm looking to try a ketogenic approach to weight loss - I have put on weight (heaviest ever) since quitting smoking 9 months ago. I'm getting joint pain and feel like it's more of an effort to walk which is ironic after quitting.

I tried Slimming World lost about a half a stone in 5 weeks got fed up and then put it back on with more on top. SW made me eat more.

So question after day 1. Which is basic - trying to do this simply - Egg for breakfast -.Stirfry of brocolli, mushrooms in butter and topped with some grated cheese for lunch - steak and the same stir-fry for dinner and lettuce with some cheese and plain cashews as a snack - am I doing this right?

Butter felt like too much oil? But was tasty :)
    What calorie count should I be aiming for I have 1200 up on my Fitness pal but went a little over at 1349 approx?

Did get stomach ache this evening but wasn't hungry between meals (for once)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Have a look at this fb group
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/831123580360578/

Read the "files" in the about section.
    All the info there

Plus loads of recipes and inspiration

• Registered Users Posts: 5,409 ✭✭✭Nollog

Pretzill wrote: »
    Butter felt like too much oil? But was tasty :)
    What calorie count should I be aiming for I have 1200 up on my Fitness pal but went a little over at 1349 approx?

Did get stomach ache this evening but wasn't hungry between meals (for once)
    Butter is "good oil" though.

The calories don't matter to a massive extent, but it depends on your macros and goals etc.

I use this website https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com to get my macros. It looks more complicated than it is, and there are much simpler websites if it overwhelms you, just search keto macro calculator.

Stomachs aches are common when you switch to eating a lot more fat, and some people get aches like a flu for a few days.
    I still feel a bit queesy when I eat fat, I used to be the kind of person who'd cut a piece of meat like a surgeon though.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    The calories don't matter to a massive extent, but it depends on your macros and goals etc.

Macros are just a different way of counting calories though :confused:

Pretzill wrote:
    So question after day 1. Which is basic - trying to do this simply - Egg for breakfast -.Stirfry of brocolli, mushrooms in butter and topped with some grated cheese for lunch - steak and the same stir-fry for dinner and lettuce with some cheese and plain cashews as a snack - am I doing this right?

Sounds good. Try to stick to 3 meals a day. Don't worry too much about calories. My wife has same 1200 target per day but after a week of keto she was so full on 3 meals that she could not get up to 1200 without having a fat bomb. As your body learns to burn fat instead of sugar (in about a week or two) , you will find 3 meals a day will fill you, and you won't want snacks. Fat is more filling than sugar/carbs.

You have made the hardest step. Well done you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Sounds good. Try to stick to 3 meals a day. Don't worry too much about calories. My wife has same 1200 target per day but after a week of keto she was so full on 3 meals that she could not get up to 1200 without having a fat bomb. As your body learns to burn fat instead of sugar (in about a week or two) , you will find 3 meals a day will fill you, and you won't want snacks. Fat is more filling than sugar/carbs.

You have made the hardest step. Well done you!

Thank you!

Day 3 and I can see what you mean I was so full after lunch (Tuna, brocolli, mushroom salad) I didn't eat dinner until 7pm. Finding it surprising how satiated I am. Haven't been shopping yet this week hence all the brocolli :) but I intend to buy some more natural fats, olives, avocados etc tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Not sure if its known here but I recently discovered a keto facebook page based in Ireland. just search keto Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

What do keto followers make of this?

https://vancouversun.com/news/canada/food-plans-that-replace-carbohydrates-with-protein-and-fat-are-giving-wrong-advice-says-new-study/wcm/88bdce51-c731-4301-980d-413b78fec7b5
    Eating a diet that is low in carbohydrates could mean you die younger, a 25-year study has suggested.

Food plans which replace carbs with protein and fat, such as the Ketogenic or Atkins diets, have gained popularity, and endorsed by celebrities such as Gwyneth Paltrow and Kim Kardashian.

But research found those with low carb diets died an average of four years earlier than those with moderate intakes. Even people with high intakes fared better than those who cut out carbohydrates.

“Low-carb diets that replace carbohydrates with protein or fat are gaining widespread popularity as a health and weight loss strategy,” said study leader Dr Sara Seidelmann, from Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston. “However, our data suggests that animal-based low carbohydrate diets might be associated with shorter overall lifespan and should be discouraged.

“If one chooses to follow a low carbohydrate diet, then exchanging carbohydrates for more plant-based fats and proteins might actually promote healthy ageing in the long term.”

For the study, which was published in Lancet Public Health, researchers followed 15,428 adults aged 45-64 over two decades from 1987. The researchers found that, from age 50, average life expectancy was 83 years for those with moderate carbohydrate intake (50-55 per cent of daily calories), which was four years longer than those with very low carbohydrate consumption (less than 40 per cent of calories) who lived an average of 79 years. Those with a high carb intake (greater than 70 per cent of daily calories), lived until an average age of 82.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It wasn't even as simple as carb intake, the type of food mattered also:
    Both high and low percentages of carbohydrate diets were associated with increased mortality, with minimal risk observed at 50–55% carbohydrate intake. Low carbohydrate dietary patterns favouring animal-derived protein and fat sources, from sources such as lamb, beef, pork, and chicken, were associated with higher mortality, whereas those that favoured plant-derived protein and fat intake, from sources such as vegetables, nuts, peanut butter, and whole-grain breads, were associated with lower mortality, suggesting that the source of food notably modifies the association between carbohydrate intake and mortality.

When carbohydrates were replaced with animal fat/protein mortality increased whereas plantbased fat/protein saw lower mortality.
    I haven't looked at the study to see if this is accurate.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

dont trust headlnes is my first thought :) , the "low carb" quintile in the study has a median of 37% carbs, which based on a 2000 calorie/day diet, is 740 calories from carbs. That's 185 grams of carbs so could only be described as moderate carb. Also their "low carb"group dont sound like they are particularly interested in their health.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpub/article/PIIS2468-2667(18)30135-X/fulltext
    Participants who consumed a relatively low percentage of total energy from carbohydrates (ie, participants in the lowest quantiles) were more likely to be young, male, a self-reported race other than black, college graduates, have high body-mass index, exercise less during leisure time, have high household income, smoke cigarettes, and have diabetes.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭Juwwi

I'm surprised doctors aren't recommending the Keto Diet to extremely over weight people , or those who are borderline gastric band territory .

Or are they recommending it to them ?

The Keto Diet looks like a fool proof solution to the overweight problem most country's have at the moment yet it isn't getting that big of a mention in the media from what l can see .

Maybe it suits governments that people buy expensive tablets every month and don't live to 80 costing them pensions .

• Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Juwwi wrote: »
    Maybe it suits governments that people buy expensive tablets every month and don't live to 80 costing them pensions .

*facepalm*

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

to put it more reasonably there are conflicts, look at the US, their "food pyramid " is produced by the same outfit that has a statutory job to promote their main agricultural products , the top 5 being corn, wheat, sugar, soy and cotton. Secondly there appears to be some official resistance in the medical and nutrition area where said professionals might get into trouble for treating a type 2 diabetic for example with keto/low carb/IF as they have to follow standard care guidelines. Then you have the whole and i'll call it corruption of who funds doctors and researchers in this area, reminds me of the "most doctors smoke camels than any other cigarette"

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,045 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

After 6 weeks of trying this, I lost about 4 kgs, really missed things like beer, ice cream and chocolate. The hardest part for me was when i had to eat in hotels, i either had to order cream or drench everything in olive oil. It was also hard to avoid Carbs in precooked meals.
    I blew the whole thing this weekend, beers and chocolate galore. Kinda wondering if I shall try it again or not bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

smurfjed wrote: »
    After 6 weeks of trying this, I lost about 4 kgs, really missed things like beer, ice cream and chocolate.
    I've had all of those things while on Keto. As long as you choose the right products and don't make pig of yourself. It's doable.
    Low carb beer, chocolate and ice cream exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,409 ✭✭✭Nollog

Also most spirits are zero net carbs, having a vodka and Coke zero for example is only calories.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭cumulonimbus

When I was first diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, I searched online for information. One site had a picture of a diabetic foot. Then of course I couldn’t resist doing a google image search for diabetic feet.
    Any time I am tempted to stray from the ketogenic way of eating I just remember those images and somehow the carb-laden temptation loses its appeal.

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    to put it more reasonably there are conflicts, look at the US, their "food pyramid " is produced by the same outfit that has a statutory job to promote their main agricultural products , the top 5 being corn, wheat, sugar, soy and cotton. Secondly there appears to be some official resistance in the medical and nutrition area where said professionals might get into trouble for treating a type 2 diabetic for example with keto/low carb/IF as they have to follow standard care guidelines. Then you have the whole and i'll call it corruption of who funds doctors and researchers in this area, reminds me of the "most doctors smoke camels than any other cigarette"

The food pyramid was replaced a good few years ago at this stage!

Advertisement