Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ketogenic forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,061 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

/\/ollog wrote: »
    I've been on keto for a month and a week now.

The biggest mistake you will make here in Ireland after reading all the information on keto and doing NET carbs is that Irish nutrition information does not include fibre in the carbohydrates information. So reading the carbs of the pack is NET carbs.
    I assume most people would take labels at face value. But a lot of people actually make that mistake. I seen one guy insisting that some food he was eating had a "negative carbs count".

Testing in the morning will almost always give you a positive response. Drink a couple glasses of water and test around the middle of the day.
    The ketones you expell are unused, so you need to be pretty well hydrated for an accurate result.
    You still only show a positive result if you are in ketosis. Being dehydrated is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,409 ✭✭✭Nollog

I didn't test ketones in my urine but in my blood, testing blood ketones is very accurate and you should test it first thing in the morning

I read the word strips and jumped to a conclusion. I forgot the blood testing is done on strips too. :X

I read the word strips and jumped to a conclusion. I forgot the blood testing is done on strips too. :X

I was talking about pee strips.
    What you said was incorrect about them too. Testing in the morning is best.

Mellor wrote: »
    I was talking about pee strips.
    What you said was incorrect about them too. Testing in the morning is best.

I disagree.

I disagree.
    Based on what? Your post above made little sense. I've explained why.
    Respectfully, you've been on Keto a month, and resting one is hardly a proper sample.

• Advertisement

Based on what? Your post above made little sense. I've explained why.
    Respectfully, you've been on Keto a month, and resting one is hardly a proper sample.

Oh it didn't? Sorry then.

I only tested myself once, the internet has tested themselves millions of times, the latter is where I came to the conclusion that you need to be hydrated to get in any way an accurate reading from urine, so after fasting all night you'd need to drink a glass or two in that case.

It doesn't matter at all for myself, as you said yourself I'm new to keto so the fact I have any in my body at all means I'm burning fat. This time next year it might be a different story, as my body uses the ketones instead of having loads to urinate out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

happened to be in town today spontaneously picked up a bottle of ketostix, result was 8mmol/L or the second strongest reading on their color chart. over the last week my dinners were more protein based and lunch would have had more fats like avocado and coconut milk, I am dropping about a kg a week for the last week or 2 so I assume that counts as consuming fat.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

the latter is where I came to the conclusion that you need to be hydrated to get in any way an accurate reading from urine, so after fasting all night you'd need to drink a glass or two in that case.
    That's the part where you are incorrect.
    Ketostix are used to detect ketones. If they are detected, you are in ketosis.
    A stronger reading due to concentrated urine in the morning isn't less accurate. You are trying to detect the presence not the level of ketones. The level is inconsequential, it doesn't co-relate to the amount of fat being burned or ketones being converted.
    silverharp wrote: »
    happened to be in town today spontaneously picked up a bottle of ketostix, result was 8mmol/L or the second strongest reading on their color chart. over the last week my dinners were more protein based and lunch would have had more fats like avocado and coconut milk, I am dropping about a kg a week for the last week or 2 so I assume that counts as consuming fat.
    Definitely in ketosis :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

What benefit has Keto over regular calorie tracking?

I can’t imagine how someone finds adherence easier when you can’t eat half of foods - think eating out, canteen in work, etc.

For me, and I've eased off and gone more low carb, I found I just wasn't hungry. Even now I have two meals a day with maybe a few nuts or cheese for a light snack. Fat satiates me and I don't crave food. Also I love a lot of the foods and was never one for spuds. Burgers with no buns, fish, steaks, veggies fried in kerrygold, eggs a million different ways, bacon, so many different cheeses. Oh and polish sausages, the pepperami looking things I can never pronounce. I'm hoping eventually to go OMAD (one meal a day) more for convenience on work days.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    For me, and I've eased off and gone more low carb, I found I just wasn't hungry. Even now I have two meals a day with maybe a few nuts or cheese for a light snack. Fat satiates me and I don't crave food. Also I love a lot of the foods and was never one for spuds. Burgers with no buns, fish, steaks, veggies fried in kerrygold, eggs a million different ways, bacon, so many different cheeses. Oh and polish sausages, the pepperami looking things I can never pronounce. I'm hoping eventually to go OMAD (one meal a day) more for convenience on work days.

the convenience is an interesting side benefit, my family are away for a couple of weeks at the moment and compared to last year same time I just find there is a fraction of the washing up to do and overall less shopping and that's just because I don't eat breakfast and sometimes my lunch is just chucking a hard boiled egg in my pocket, so either way all prep for lunch for the week is Sunday evening.
    Its liberating not having or even wanting to eat breakfast , saves time in a big way too, plus it means im not fed up of a cooked breakfast or bacon as I'd only eat them at the weekend.
    I don't think I could strictly do OMAD but even a hard boiled egg can be enough for me to say Ive had lunch. I might try it later in the year or even a daily fast but have a bullet proof coffee for the missed meals, it would suit my purposes of improving insulin sensitivity

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭mille100piedi

silverharp wrote: »
    the convenience is an interesting side benefit, my family are away for a couple of weeks at the moment and compared to last year same time I just find there is a fraction of the washing up to do and overall less shopping and that's just because I don't eat breakfast and sometimes my lunch is just chucking a hard boiled egg in my pocket, so either way all prep for lunch for the week is Sunday evening.
    Its liberating not having or even wanting to eat breakfast , saves time in a big way too, plus it means im not fed up of a cooked breakfast or bacon as I'd only eat them at the weekend.
    I don't think I could strictly do OMAD but even a hard boiled egg can be enough for me to say Ive had lunch. I might try it later in the year or even a daily fast but have a bullet proof coffee for the missed meals, it would suit my purposes of improving insulin sensitivity

in my case the washing up is more difficult because cleaning fatty kitchenware is much harder, you need plenty of washing up liquid and very hot water. Luckily I have a dishwasher. I eat as well boiled eggs, but since they are higher in protein that in fat they are not really keto food and I need to add home made mayo to them

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

What benefit has Keto over regular calorie tracking?

I can’t imagine how someone finds adherence easier when you can’t eat half of foods - think eating out, canteen in work, etc.

It depends on what works for a person. I won a weight loss competition losing ~11kg in 8 weeks on a very high carb vegan diet, and I never felt hungry. I did no calorie tracking, or macro tracking really, just used passing thoughts and rough estimates. A lot of it comes down to convenience, satiation and staying away from sugar or addictive crash cycle foods. What people don't generally realise is that when you eat less and eat healthier, you become less hungry, you don't want to eat as much. At that point with some high satiation foods (potato is one of the most satiating no matter the method people try to measure with http://nutritiondata.self.com/topics/fullness-factor) you just don't feel the urges any more. The second I eat some junk food or takeaway I would start feeling the urge for it again soon.

Most of it is mental, for my challenge in my first week I logged every single thing I ate to show my personal trainer, even that alone made me eat better and at that point I found it easier to continue. Little tricks/techniques can help people out a lot. Counting calories alone would work perfectly, it just depends how much willpower you have available at all times, including when being run down and stressed etc.

anyone know the different between coconut butter, coconut cream and coconut milk?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,044 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

About two years ago i did KETO to reduce my body mass, blood pressure and sugars, I succeeded in losing 16 kgs over a time and got to renew my medicals with my lowest readings in donkey years.
    Since then I have regained about 7kgs, thanks totally to chocolate and beer.
    I restarted KETO on the 1st July, so thats 10 days without chocolate and beer, which is extremely annoying with the world cup going on. So far I have lost about 2kgs which will primarily be water. I will continue this until the end of the month when my wife comes back and see how it goes.
    My diet is staying pretty similar, eggs with olive oil for breakfast, steak or salmon for lunch, and cheese for snacks. Numerous cups of coffee during the day, some with cream for fat, lots of water. My calorie intake is about 2200-2400 a day and macros are around 68% fat/ 31% protein / 1% carb averaged over a week (Myfitnesspal).
    I know that it said that if you get the macros right then you dont have to worry about the calories, but in my case I don't believe that to be true, next week I shall attempt to bring my calories down to 1800-2000. I also try to combine what i eat with IF, but this all depends on my work schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

My OH & I started keto 5 weeks ago and LOVE it. Seems to be working for us.

Just wanted to say I find it easy to eat keto when I am out and about. I am on the road 12 hours a day and cant realistically bring food with me (nature of the job). I have a prepared breakfast (usually eggs, cheese and some meat), and then at some point in the day I can stop in any canteen, deli or subway and get a salad plate (or any meal minus the carbs, so I add leafy greens / eggs / cheese / cold meat).

The great thing we find about keto is the food we can eat is "normal" and can be found anywhere. Some extra thought & prep needed at home, but WELL worth it!

anyone know the different between coconut butter, coconut cream and coconut milk?
    Coconut butter is coconut flesh that has been ground very finely into a smooth paste.

Coconut cream is the liquid extracted by boiling grated coconut flesh in water. Coconut milk is the same process, but with a higher water content.

Coconut oil is the pure oil extracted from coconut.

Coconut butter is coconut flesh that has been ground very finely into a smooth paste.

Coconut cream is the liquid extracted by boiling grated coconut flesh in water. Coconut milk is the same process, but with a higher water content.

Coconut oil is the pure oil extracted from coconut.

Thanks I am still confused about coconut milk and coconut cream. Is coconut milk used for cooking salty food and coconut milk used more for fat bombs or keto sweets treats?which one is used for the coffee?I know also some people make whipped cream is with coconut milk or with coconut cream?

They are both the same thing. One is just a watery version of the other.
    Both are used in cooking - curry, laksa, sate dishes etc. Just depends on creamy or watery you want the curry.
    Both can be used in fat bombs, depending on recipe. But the thick cream is prob better. Coconut oil better again (its solid at room temp).
    The milk wont whip, a thick cream might.
    Not sure what you mean about coffee. Could add either to coffee I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

It’s probably Bullet Proof Coffee. It’s a spoon of coconut oil, some KerryGold and Coffee blended up with your coffee. I use the Nutribullet when making one and it’s really nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Keto 1+ year. I'm a size zero.

• Advertisement

...which one is used for the coffee?...

+1 what Mellor said. The Yanks call it Bulletproof Coffee. The idea is you add fat to your diet through the coffee.

Coconut oil is very good for repairing so many parts of the body, including the brain. But MCT oil is better and avail in health food shops. Looks crap in the coffee mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,044 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Bullet Proof coffee is an acquired taste, I much prefer using whipping cream.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Also the light version of coconut milk is just the same thing with more water, just buy the thicker version and add some more water if you want. The percentage of coconut milk is on the can.

Also the light version of coconut milk is just the same thing with more water, just buy the thicker version and add some more water if you want. The percentage of coconut milk is on the can.
    Light coconut cream is more water but it can also have a thickener added to keep it like a cream consistency rather than milk.

based on what ive been listening to most people seem to use coconut oil in their coffee and as the americans say "grass fed" butter, they seem to drool over kerrygold :pac:

what is the deal with MCT? i havnt had time to investigate it, what would it add nutritionally on top of or instead of butter/coconut oil?

Light coconut cream is more water but it can also have a thickener added to keep it like a cream consistency rather than milk.

Suppose it depends on the brand, Tesco's one here just adds water to their light milk. The Blue Dragon brand just removes an emulsifier and has more water. I guess when it's labelled as cream it is different too, as these are just the ones advertised as milk.

I drink coffee with frosted almond milk. The only almond milk that it can frost well is the brand Plenish, I don't find it everywhere I buy it in Supervalu. To the coffee I add MCT oil, I tried adding coconut oil but I don't like the taste, I tried also whit odourless coconut oil but I prefer MCT oil, I buy the MCT from UK: Caprylic Acid 99.8% | Ketosource. I didn't find the same in Ireland. Finally to my coffee I add cacao and cinnamon

They are both the same thing. One is just a watery version of the other.
    Both are used in cooking - curry, laksa, sate dishes etc. Just depends on creamy or watery you want the curry.
    Both can be used in fat bombs, depending on recipe. But the thick cream is prob better. Coconut oil better again (its solid at room temp).
    The milk wont whip, a thick cream might.
    Not sure what you mean about coffee. Could add either to coffee I guess.

I think I am going to try to make at home coconut cream from coconut flakes and try to whip it

We get MCT (by Mutant) from aobnutrition.ie

Have no idea what % the caprilic acid is, but its half the price (when you by the big bottle) of the stuff in H&B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

Has anyone come across Swerve Sweetener locally? I see it’s available on Amazon but I was hoping I might find it in a health shop.

Advertisement