Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭corks finest

Barney224 wrote: »
    No, speeeds not really causing issues, though sometimes playing stuff from Plex there's a bit of buffering. I have a media server in the next room which is connected via wifi. I have a Frtizbox 7560 which has gigabit portsI might try the wifi as you've suggested to see if that makes a difference. The issue I have mainly is that I'm paying for 300mb, so should be getting above 150 at least, I would imagine. I understand there's a load of factors in play. Ah well...1st world problems! :D

VF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭xckjoo

No, speeeds not really causing issues, though sometimes playing stuff from Plex there's a bit of buffering. I have a media server in the next room which is connected via wifi. I have a Frtizbox 7560 which has gigabit portsI might try the wifi as you've suggested to see if that makes a difference. The issue I have mainly is that I'm paying for 300mb, so should be getting above 150 at least, I would imagine. I understand there's a load of factors in play. Ah well...1st world problems! :D
    Ya I get you. You want to get what you're paying for or what's the point? But then the hassle of dealing with the companies and learning enough to argue your case with them is often time consuming.
    Regarding the plex server buffering, it shouldn't be effected by your Internet speed so that's something you can look into with talking to your ISP. Best solution is to get it wired to the same router. If that's not possible, check it your can optimise your wireless network by changing channels. Grab an app for your phone like "WiFi Analyzer" and see if you can find some less congested channels to set your router to.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Barney224

VF?

I'm with Digiweb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Nvidia UK/Ire have stock of the new remote again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭corks finest

I'm with Digiweb

Was asking because VF were throttling ,,,,for ages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,032 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Brand new SanDisk USB key to replace my dead one (the Shield runs way too hot so fried my last one by the way).

Anyways, it's one of the recommended models (SDCZ48-032G-U46) and plugged it in and it just says 'SanDisk USB key is safely ejected'.. no option to reformat or anything.

Formatted it as FAT32 on MacBook and works fine - any thoughts?

Tried formatting on ExFAT on MacBook and still says same as Shield but indicates it's corrupted. Jaysus.. nothing is ever straight forward with filesystems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

Basq wrote: »
    Brand new SanDisk USB key to replace my dead one (the Shield runs way too hot so fried my last one by the way).

Anyways, it's one of the recommended models (SDCZ48-032G-U46) and plugged it in and it just says 'SanDisk USB key is safely ejected'.. no option to reformat or anything.

Formatted it as FAT32 on MacBook and works fine - any thoughts?

I don't have a Shield but in the past I've found FAT32 formatting on the native Mac disk utility tool can be hit and miss in terms of the sd card/usb behaving as expected on other devices.

I used this tool to format an sd card for a Pi recently and it worked like a charm so it might be worth a try

b.gud wrote: »
    I don't have a Shield but in the past I've found FAT32 formatting on the native Mac disk utility tool can be hit and miss in terms of the sd card/usb behaving as expected on other devices.

I used this tool to format an sd card for a Pi recently and it worked like a charm so it might be worth a try

You legend...

IMG-20200214-163754.jpg

.. that did it perfectly!

Huge thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

Basq wrote: »
    You legend...

IMG-20200214-163754.jpg

.. that did it perfectly!

Huge thanks!

Excellent glad it worked for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

New remotes are back in stock
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/shield/buy/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭savemejebus

If you haven't already, use a usb 3 extension cable or hub for the stick to stop it burning out.

If you haven't already, use a usb 3 extension cable or hub for the stick to stop it burning out.
    Yeah, I have a USB extension cable but doesn't seem to recognise drive when plugged in so might be too slow. Been looking out for a hub alright. May even have one lying around.

EDIT: Just rooted around my big box of cables (I can't be the only one that has this.. you never know when you're gonna need a SCART cable, or 3) and found another one which did recognise the drive when plugged into it. Will give it a go but may not be fast enough. Should do for now however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

swampy353 wrote: »
    Bought! Been looking at the US site for weeks, like a tool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Bought metro exodus on Steam (only out on Steam today) playing on the Shield using geforce now. It's 1920 X 1200 ultra settings with Ray tracing on high and physx on. Wow, just wow. Looks epic on my 60 inch TV, my TV is upscaling to 4k. It's some game

Be sure that if you decide to sign up to Geforce Now that you do it via a US based VPN ;)

Use Revolut and that you get a $4.99 monthly rather than €5.49 charge.

Every little helps and all that jazz!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

banie01 wrote: »
    Be sure that if you decide to sign up to Geforce Now that you do it via a US based VPN ;)

Use Revolut and that you get a $4.99 monthly rather than €5.49 charge.

Every little helps and all that jazz!

What post code did you use?
    Im trying to make an account but cant get past the post code?
    Thanks.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    What post code did you use?
    Im trying to make an account but cant get past the post code?
    Thanks.

90210 and picked California as my State :D.
    Left the rest of my address as per it's Irish.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Can I use an Irish card and just use that postcode?

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Can I use an Irish card and just use that postcode?

I used Revolut, so can't speak as to using an Irish card.
    I'd personally avoid using an Irish card anyway unless it offered free FX, kinda defeats the whole purpose if being hit with an FX charge on the transaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭massy086

Out of stock again.is there anywhere else selling them

Out of stock again.is there anywhere else selling them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭BobMc

Nvidia UK/Ire have stock of the new remote again.

Managed to snag one, funnily had checked the day before and it was out of stock, saw your post and got one, much improved remote, been using it on the new sheild and its a vast impovement on the old remote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

Randomly checked the site on Friday and manged to get a remote myself, delivered just now.

Belfunk wrote: »
    Randomly checked the site on Friday and manged to get a remote myself, delivered just now.

that was fast, ordrered friday too, not got shipping notification yet though

BobMc wrote: »
    that was fast, ordrered friday too, not got shipping notification yet though

I ordered another 11:30am Friday and it shipped Saturday morning from Shannon.

• Advertisement

I also ordered Friday the 14th, did you get a shipment notification email? My order status is just processing.

i got shipping email this morning, so expect delivery wednesday

advertsfox wrote: »
    I also ordered Friday the 14th, did you get a shipment notification email? My order status is just processing.

Yes, but the tracking never updated until it was delivered.

mine came this morning, help i suppose they ship from shannon and i'm in limerick, so came faster than expected

Same it just came today, very quick. All setup with new firmware and Button Remapping done on Netflix button.

• Advertisement

BobMc wrote: »
    mine came this morning, help i suppose they ship from shannon and i'm in limerick, so came faster than expected

Mine came this afternoon.
    Even the wife can use it!

She did ask "where are the numbers? As the harmony 300 had a number pad...
    I asked her when was the last time she used the numbers and that put paid to that :P

The audio button for the assistant is so much more intuitive to use than "Ok Google" too IMO.

Just ordered a new remote there.so hurry people there back in stock

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

massy086 wrote: »

Just wondering if you had any post code issues ? Trying to order the but post code is highlighted as red and I can’t continue with the payment

Daz_ wrote: »
    Just wondering if you had any post code issues ? Trying to order the but post code is highlighted as red and I can’t continue with the payment
    I paid through PayPal so it just took my address from there

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

I paid through PayPal so it just took my address from there

Thanks for the tip. I switched to PayPal for payment and all fine , cheers !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭keano25

What's everyone remapping Netflix button to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Dam. Missed it. :mad:

Same it just came today, very quick. All setup with new firmware and Button Remapping done on Netflix button.

You use the button remapper app for that?
    Does it interfere with Volume control do you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭Inviere

What's the story with the volume buttons on the 2019 Pro? On my 2017 model the volume touch slider simply adjusts the volume on the device itself...on my 2019 model, I get a message about setting up IR controls or somesuch, and when I do, the Shield lags for 4-5 seconds and still doesn't change volume...

McMurphy wrote: »
    Dam. Missed it. :mad:
    Jaysus they must be very low on stock or there in high demand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Inviere wrote: »
    What's the story with the volume buttons on the 2019 Pro? On my 2017 model the volume touch slider simply adjusts the volume on the device itself...on my 2019 model, I get a message about setting up IR controls or somesuch, and when I do, the Shield lags for 4-5 seconds and still doesn't change volume...

I got that message,in settings turned IR on and it works perfectly .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭Inviere

yabadabado wrote: »
    I got that message,in settings turned IR on and it works perfectly .

Is it adjusting the volume on the tv via the shield remote then, rather than the 2019 model having its own internal volume functions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Inviere wrote: »
    Is it adjusting the volume on the tv via the shield remote then, rather than the 2019 model having its own internal volume functions?

Yes ,it adjusts on the tv.

You use the button remapper app for that?
    Does it interfere with Volume control do you know?
    It's called Button Mapper on the Play Store. Here's a simple guide, you need to enable it in the Accessibility Options first before it is customizable. You can do a 100 different actions too, very cool I must say.

https://youtu.be/6SneVY37_9s

It's called Button Mapper on the Play Store. Here's a simple guide, you need to enable it in the Accessibility Options first before it is customizable. You can do a 100 different actions too, very cool I must say.

https://youtu.be/6SneVY37_9s

Thanks for that.
    My Netflix button now has 3 actions assigned:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Anyway to get an instant notification when they (remote's) come back into stock?

Have just subbed to the thread - so hopefully that may help. Or alternatively if anyone wants to nab one for me, I'll square them up via PayPal or revolut.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

One of my preferences it to assign it to nothing. Whenever I sit on the remote it seems to be the button that gets pressed. Annoying when I am watching amazon, shift my ass, and the movie stops to load up netflix.

errlloyd wrote: »
    One of my preferences it to assign it to nothing. Whenever I sit on the remote it seems to be the button that gets pressed. Annoying when I am watching amazon, shift my ass, and the movie stops to load up netflix.
    You can do that in the Button Remap app.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Hallaz

Hi
    Can I ask which website you ordered from?
    Is it just the control that has option for delivery to Ireland ? (I can't check as out of stock)
    I'm looking to get the shield pro but getting error so wonder if there is a loop hole to get product delivered from the nvidia website.

thanks

• Advertisement

Hallaz wrote: »
    Hi
    Can I ask which website you ordered from?
    Is it just the control that has option for delivery to Ireland ? (I can't check as out of stock)
    I'm looking to get the shield pro but getting error so wonder if there is a loop hole to get product delivered from the nvidia website.

thanks

Hello,

I ordered from https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/shield/buy/ but the order was just for the remote. I only get options for UK and Portugal if i try purchase the Pro.

Advertisement