Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

Not sure if this is the right place, but anyone else having serious issues with the last update ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Lennyzip wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right place, but anyone else having serious issues with the last update ?

No, but it's not unheard of to get issues with any software update. What sort if issues are you having?

No, but it's not unheard of to get issues with any software update. What sort if issues are you having?

I've had on & off issues with the joypad for ages . It's like the left toggle is stuck in the up position so it will just randomly cycle upwards on the launcher menu , any menu really. This has been resolved , then came back with each update. But with this update, I'm no getting it forcing to the left. That's just the tip of the iceberg. Everything is running extremely slowing . Apps take an age to load or else just crash . Video playback thankfully is unaffected on Kodi . Ethernet fine too . The apps crashing and just unresponsiveness of the shield is brutal at the moment. I've checked the nvidia forums and loads of people are having similar and different issues to mine .
    I'm not sure if the update has effected my external hd which is mounted to it. I think all my apps have been migrated there so that might be an issue too . Or else my external drive is corrupted or something. But all these issues only started with the latest update.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

I've had on & off issues with the joypad for ages . It's like the left toggle is stuck in the up position so it will just randomly cycle upwards on the launcher menu , any menu really. This has been resolved , then came back with each update. But with this update, I'm no getting it forcing to the left. That's just the tip of the iceberg. Everything is running extremely slowing . Apps take an age to load or else just crash . Video playback thankfully is unaffected on Kodi . Ethernet fine too . The apps crashing and just unresponsiveness of the shield is brutal at the moment. I've checked the nvidia forums and loads of people are having similar and different issues to mine .
    I'm not sure if the update has effected my external hd which is mounted to it. I think all my apps have been migrated there so that might be an issue too . Or else my external drive is corrupted or something. But all these issues only started with the latest update.
    Might be the drive,I've dropped my pad loads of times its grand,I had a drive connected yonks ago ,got rid of it- either my one was knackered or just not suitable,caused vv slight delay

Might be the drive,I've dropped my pad loads of times its grand,I had a drive connected yonks ago ,got rid of it- either my one was knackered or just not suitable,caused vv slight delay

I just unplugged the hd for the craic , and it's zooming away now . The thoughts of getting a new drive and transferring everything over 😀. Is there any way to scan it for errors I wonder.

• Advertisement

I just unplugged the hd for the craic , and it's zooming away now . The thoughts of getting a new drive and transferring everything over 😀. Is there any way to scan it for errors I wonder.
    Yeah but think I have to plug it into the p.c.- any errors will be picked up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Seems to be an excellent alternative to the stock remote.

Links available in the description.

Banggood for the Bluetooth one. @ $7.49

Nice find Johnny. Ordered:D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Sold my gaming controller today.. rarely used and backed up by the fact I can use my Xbox One controller instead.

https://www.androidcentral.com/how-pair-ps4-and-xbox-one-controllers-nvidia-shield-tv

Will the pc recognise the drive though. It might ask to be formatted when ya plug it in.Which I definetly don't want as there's over 400 GB of data on it which I won't be downloading again if I can get away with it .

Will the pc recognise the drive though. It might ask to be formatted when ya plug it in.Which I definetly don't want as there's over 400 GB of data on it which I won't be downloading again if I can get away with it .
    U can strip the case ,you tube it, there's a fix for a HD that's playing up, sorry no link,but definitely there

• Advertisement

Recognize it or not it won't format unless you ok it

Laptop didn't even recognize the drive unfortunately. The journey continues .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Does anyone know if there’s anywhere that sells the shield tv that accepts One4all vouchers? Pcworld have them online but it’s unclear whether the online store accepts them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Amazon uk were taking them at one stage, might be worth a bit of googling

Not recently - I remember having to go to a site (can't remember which) where I could buy Amazon credit with a one 4 all voucher a couple of years ago, but thought I read somewhere that they stopped taking them.

For the poster above, I reserved online from Currys/PC World recently, and paid in store with a One4All.

Might have found a solution. Messed around with Kodi and found a way , which hadn't worked for me before , maybe due to inexperience with it , to add an external source and add a video source . Found a spare external drive and am going to copy everything over . Then erase the drive which is mounted, unmount it and just use the 16GB on the shield as storage . I don't use it for gaming so it should be ample for a few apps I use . Then I'll just use the erased drive as extra external storage and bring it up to a 1 TB.
    Will see how it goes .it was running fast without looking to the external mounted drive so will see if it continues .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

moonboy52 wrote: »
    Nice find Johnny. Ordered:D

Ordered one myself, think the thing to do now is forget about it until it just shows up. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

The developer of RetroX has just posted that he's back recovered and working on RetroX again (slowly), he's added new features (game cheats) but that RetroX is now moving to an annual paid model with a more expensive lifetime subscription. Anyone who's already bought keeps lifetime forever, but from 28th January the annual sub will by the cost we paid for lifetime. If You've not bought get buying folks or it'll cost ye every year!

Hmm, just popped into my head there this. Was gonna buy even though I'll probably never use it, looked at it before and it seemed like to many hours of set up for me at the time.

Got through to it wanting me to log in to Amazon to pay?? A first for me. And feck it again says I.

vargoo wrote: »
    Hmm, just popped into my head there this. Was gonna buy even though I'll probably never use it, looked at it before and it seemed like to many hours of set up for me at the time.

Got through to it wanting me to log in to Amazon to pay?? A first for me. And feck it again says I.

Yes the developer takes payment through Amazon gift vouchers. I bought mine long ago on the play store, but it's no longer available there as he says Google are too slow at pushing updates and each update has to go through a process. There can sometimes be a few updates a week while he's working on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

guys anyone have a good etthernet adapter for the shield as i need a extra port connected all the time.thanks

guys anyone have a good etthernet adapter for the shield as i need a extra port connected all the time.thanks

Do you mean usb hub?

• Advertisement

Do you mean usb hub?

well one that gives me a few extra to plug in yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

I have a powered USB 3 Hub connected to Port 2 on the shield with 3 USB3 HDD's connected
    For Port 1 I have a Sandisk 128 USB 3 on a 1 foot long extension cable(heat issue-previously discussed) and adopted as Internal storage

Just get a good quality powered USB 3 Hub

I have a powered USB 3 Hub connected to Port 2 on the shield with 3 USB3 HDD's connected
    For Port 1 I have a Sandisk 128 USB 3 on a 1 foot long extension cable(heat issue-previously discussed) and adopted as Internal storage

Just get a good quality powered USB 3 Hub

Thanks have u a link to a good one please thank you

I'm a former Plex user but migrated my whole setup to Emby about 5 or 6 months ago and haven't looked back. Emby is better for lots of things, has better support, better transcoding, allows customisation but it always felt much less polished than Plex, until now....

The latest server version 4.0 makes huge optimisations to the database and the latest versions on Android TV are absolutely stunning. If you tried it before more and didn't think much of it you really need to try it again, it's leaving Plex miles behind.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-449-say-hello-to-the-new-face-of-android-tv

5c4ccb8575d77_newhome.png
    5c4cc7c27af7d_newdetailseries2.png
    5c4cc7d607e6a_buttontweaklight.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

I'm a former Plex user but migrated my whole setup to Emby about 5 or 6 months ago and haven't looked back. Emby is better for lots of things, has better support, better transcoding, allows customisation but it always felt much less polished than Plex, until now....

The latest server version 4.0 makes huge optimisations to the database and the latest versions on Android TV are absolutely stunning. If you tried it before more and didn't think much of it you really need to try it again, it's leaving Plex miles behind.

Do I have to run Emby Server on a PC or other device? Does it run on Shield like Plex Server?

nedd wrote: »
    Do I have to run Emby Server on a PC or other device? Does it run on Shield like Plex Server?

You can run it on a PC or on the Shield just like Plex, I'm not sure if Emby server for the Shield has come out of beta yet though, I don't use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Long time Plex Pass subscriber with Shield as server which means long time frustrated user but have to say I think they have upped their game with regards reliability etc. Haven't had an issue in months with remote streaming/transcoding etc.

Emby does look nice but wont consider it till a Shield server version is available.
    Is the Beta free to download and try out ? Can libraries be shared ?

Long time Plex Pass subscriber with Shield as server which means long time frustrated user but have to say I think they have upped their game with regards reliability etc. Haven't had an issue in months with remote streaming/transcoding etc.

Emby does look nice but wont consider it till a Shield server version is available.
    Is the Beta free to download and try out ? Can libraries be shared ?

Their betas have been rock solid, I've was running the beta server for a time before the 4.0 upgrade and am still running the Android TV client beta. Here the link to the Android TV server APK
    https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/53944-emby-server-for-android/page-1

Emby can access the same libraries as Plex, you can run them side by side, I ran them both for weeks on a dedicated server.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

If anyone fancies expanding internal storage, £17.99 will get you 128GB of nVidia recommended SanDisk USB goodness right now.

SanDisk SDCZ48-128G-U46 Ultra USB Flash Drive USB 3.0 Up to 100 MB/s - Black, 128GB

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sandisk-SDCZ48-064G-Ultra-USB-Drive/dp/B00P8XQPY4/

Note: You'll have to take my word that this is one of the Shield's recommended USB drives because they seem to have removed that article :/

Advertisement