Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When Calving Starting

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Kovu wrote: »
    I don't know about tanko but we try to get them out quick here as otherwise the mother will bond with one calf and ignore the other one when it eventually appears. Usually comes backwards too. Or else she wont see it and lies on it :(

I had a cow with twins years ago, they were around 3 hours old and I was feeding cattle and heard a very weak screech form one of the calves. His mother was lying up on him with his head between her front legs. I wasn't long getting her off him the calf was very weak but I managed to save him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I had a cow with twins years ago, they were around 3 hours old and I was feeding cattle and heard a very weak screech form one of the calves. His mother was lying up on him with his head between her front legs. I wasn't long getting her off him the calf was very weak but I managed to save him.

It's horrible when it happens. I was about ten when I first seen it here. Witnessed it happening which made it worse. Always nervous as hell when twins are suspect here. Inkling of one the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Im Filling out the animal events recording book here for neibhour.

I have the calves tagged, and the hair sample taken from the mothe
    The book has been filled in.

What do I post where?
    The new card goes to cork.
    The hair sample goes to cork
    The ear sample goes to enfer in naas
    Have i got it right?
    Does he have to post a cheque?
    Does the white sheet in the book get posted away too

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

god I hate twins ,cow shagged for the yearand always a struggle to get her back in calf

• Registered Users Posts: 29,160 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Im Filling out the animal events recording book here for neibhour.

I have the calves tagged, and the hair sample taken from the mothe
    The book has been filled in.

What do I post where?
    The new card goes to cork.
    The hair sample goes to cork
    The ear sample goes to enfer in naas
    Have i got it right?
    Does he have to post a cheque?
    Does the white sheet in the book get posted away too

Thanks.
    the new card and the white sheet in the book are the same thing, you post one or the other, does he have an account in enfer, ring them before he posts the sample

• Advertisement

keep going wrote: »
    god I hate twins ,cow shagged for the yearand always a struggle to get her back in calf
    wonder what they are like after triplets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

keep going wrote: »

Any cow that has twins here is culled after calving, hate them.

Had one last night 2 heifer calves and the fecker lay on one

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Hmmm no real problems with twins for the most of mine, aside from small calves, must be the larger HOs, had 4 sets here last 2yrs and no issues other than the usual HO slowness going back in calf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

whelan2 wrote: »
    wonder what they are like after triplets

Had triplets 5 years ago, 3 heifers last one came backwards and dead, the other 2 are milking. Anyway cow did ok for a bit then got a displacement so fixed her up and was slow to come back in to milk so sold her a few weeks later as a cull. Lad that bought her said she was bulling a month after. It's the minding they need that's the killer with tough calvings with twins at the busy time of year

Timmaay wrote: »
    Hmmm no real problems with twins for the most of mine, aside from small calves, must be the larger HOs, had 4 sets here last 2yrs and no issues other than the usual HO slowness going back in calf.

Have 3 or 4 sets every year I guess half in half would take extra time recovering after it. 3 this year and the 2 earlier ones took 6 weeks to come bulling and 1 the other day now has a LDA

• Advertisement

Milked out wrote: »
    Have 3 or 4 sets every year I guess half in half would take extra time recovering after it. 3 this year and the 2 earlier ones took 6 weeks to come bulling and 1 the other day now has a LDA
    when did she get sick? had one had twins last night and she's eating like a horse, havent seen an lda here in years, touch wood

when did she get sick? had one had twins last night and she's eating like a horse, havent seen an lda here in years, touch wood

Let her back in with the calves the day after she calved as she hadn't cleaned, she appeared to be chewing the cud yday then but was lying down most of the day but when I got her up to the barrier she didnt bother eating and looked sorry for herself so I suspected then . Got the vet out then and he said he heard the pings in a larger area than normal for an LDA so he'll listen again 2moro and the then operate but pretty sure it is. He said it seemed a bit soon alrite but it has happened b4.

20% calved to date
    Now at 50% male:female
    Were at 35% till yesterday

So far so good. 2 assists leg back and the other was a set of twin heifers and the cow lay on and smothered one. Them's the breaks. This cow is for the factory this week, not keeping trouble. She's fairly shook not bad enough that she won't come right but we don't need the distraction.

One other incident last week was a cow broke her leg in the hoof crate a real freak. We splinted and plastered it, she had a heifer calf and the hoof man bought her. Can't beat honourable people :)

No price set for cow but we won't fall out over it. Probably each assume half the loss. He has her on straw and she's milking so hopefully she'll be 100% in a few more weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Cow with milk fever this morning.
    Old cow kicking myself because I knew I should have given her a bote at calving.
    Aslo happens to be our highest solids cow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

This cow is for the factory this week, not keeping trouble. She's fairly shook not bad enough that she won't come right but we don't need the distraction.

Is she too shook to milk for a few months or are you afraid she will need antibiotics and wont be able to go anywhere then ?

Cow with milk fever this morning.
    Old cow kicking myself because I knew I should have given her a bote at calving.
    Aslo happens to be our highest solids cow
    is this the first this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

14 calved in last 48 hours no mortalitys yet, fingers crossed! Think ill need some help at this malarky next year

Bullocks wrote: »
    Is she too shook to milk for a few months or are you afraid she will need antibiotics and wont be able to go anywhere then ?

She could milk but she's already on the B team, she's just sealed it with twins. We don't keep cows that have twins as a rule.

First out of 20 calved. Calved since yesterday after noon.
    Was fine at 3am
    On her back at 7
    Got calcium into her then. Couldn't find vein in neck.
    Still down

http://youtu.be/UF0nts2vAv4
    Very good video on finding jugular vein for novices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

http://youtu.be/UF0nts2vAv4
    Very good video on finding jugular vein for novices

I always put it into the milk vein, much larger and easier to find.

Is that harder on them?
    Dad doesn't like doing that here

40% calved in 16 days, two sets of twins.

First set two heifers from 6 calver, one dead, cow in trouble with LDA I think. Second set bull and heifer from seventh calver both coming backwards. Neither of the cows needed this.

Cows out full time, plenty grass, will do a cover this week. Grazing targets should not be a problem with 3.8 cows per ha to be calved by the 1st March.

First out of 20 calved. Calved since yesterday after noon.
    Was fine at 3am
    On her back at 7
    Got calcium into her then. Couldn't find vein in neck.
    Still down

Bit of baling twine around the neck. Tighten as much as you can. Vein will appear as big as a banana. Clean needle insert get CALCIUM flowing with no air bubbles and attach to needle.

Cut bottom off bottle to make funnel and just pour in second bottle.

Is that harder on them?
    Dad doesn't like doing that here

Never had a problem, I just use an ordinary needle with the calcium warmed in a bucket of warm water,not the large bore needle usually used with calcium.

Never had a problem, I just use an ordinary needle with the calcium warmed in a bucket of warm water,not the large bore needle usually used with calcium.
    same here, when putting needle into milk vein i lean over the cow , nearly got a smack of a kick a few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

calcium works quicker from the jugular and is safer afaik only use the milk vein as a last resort.

trixi2011 wrote: »
    calcium works quicker from the jugular and is safer afaik only use the milk vein as a last resort.

Heard that also, vets will avoid the milk line if they can at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Milked out wrote: »

of the first 8 cows that calved here... 4 had twins.... 3 of the 4 cows are flying it.... one cow however struggled and is still struggling.... she's an RUU.. so i aint giving up hope on her.... she for some reason is knuckling severely on her front legs.... have her on straw bed at min... lift her everyday for a while to see if there is an improvement... i think she might be improving a bit.. but lord it will be slow carry on if she is to see the parlour again...

• Advertisement

kevthegaff wrote: »
    14 calved in last 48 hours no mortalitys yet, fingers crossed! Think ill need some help at this malarky next year

And I'm under pressure with just 4 in the last day. All in different pens of course and one out in the field. Ran outa calf pens also, got to turf more bales out, all alongside trying to finish off the new parlour building, temporary holding yard, some dodgy fencing that the Milkers keep knocking over. Feeling like a real farmer again ha!

Advertisement