Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail jobs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Doesn't work as much like that anymore. You're neigjbour will still need to pass the same tests and interviews as everyone else. After that then there is an element of manager's relatives getting preference and fast tracked .

It would be interesting to see the % of internal staff (only IE not wider CIE) who applied for driver roles and got them. Passing the tests is one thing but how much coaching could prospective candidates have gotten before taking them.

Most who pass tests are almost guaranteed the job internal or external and internals would likely have more of an advantage here which is normal within most companies to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 LocoMoto

Congrats to all who have a virtual interview for train driver. I have one next week myself and just wondering if anyone who has been through process can give any idea what type of Qs to expect other than the ones relating to pre-interview Qs ?

- Do they ask anything technical about the trains or train network?
    - Anything else to be prepared for other than usual interview Qs like 'Why do you want to be a driver'?

Also, some questions for job itself for any drivers or people in the know:

- I've read that no accommodation is provided if you have a Dublin posting. Is that still the case? I'd have a commute of about 1.5hrs on a good day to get to Inchicore - is this feasible to be doing every day or will they insist on living closer in case of a call out or anything?

- for DART drivers, is Fairview the only depot? I think I read somewhere there might be a Bray depot? Do you get a choice with depots and do you always start and finish your day at the same depot?

- What is the success rate of the training program? Its a long time in training and seems to be an intense course - does everyone make it through? If you struggle will they coach you more or do you very much have to do it yourself?

- Re the medical in selection, is the blood test a full needle and draw test or is it a pin-prick? Not very good with needles...

I've read the entire thread over the last week but couldn't find a huge amount on the above, so if anyone can help I'd be very grateful (either here or PM).

Good luck to everyone in their interview!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see the % of internal staff (only IE not wider CIE) who applied for driver roles and got them. Passing the tests is one thing but how much coaching could prospective candidates have gotten before taking them.

Most who pass tests are almost guaranteed the job internal or external and internals would likely have more of an advantage here which is normal within most companies to be fair.

The process for train drivers is standardised so there is almost zero chance of someone being coached beforehand.

It is all about your skills and experience. Either you have it or you don't.

Internal candidates have exactly the same chances as external.

Being an existing IR employee won't give you an advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Rootsblower

LocoMoto wrote: »
    Congrats to all who have a virtual interview for train driver. I have one next week myself and just wondering if anyone who has been through process can give any idea what type of Qs to expect other than the ones relating to pre-interview Qs ?

- Do they ask anything technical about the trains or train network?
    - Anything else to be prepared for other than usual interview Qs like 'Why do you want to be a driver'?

Also, some questions for job itself for any drivers or people in the know:

- I've read that no accommodation is provided if you have a Dublin posting. Is that still the case? I'd have a commute of about 1.5hrs on a good day to get to Inchicore - is this feasible to be doing every day or will they insist on living closer in case of a call out or anything?

- for DART drivers, is Fairview the only depot? I think I read somewhere there might be a Bray depot? Do you get a choice with depots and do you always start and finish your day at the same depot?

- What is the success rate of the training program? Its a long time in training and seems to be an intense course - does everyone make it through? If you struggle will they coach you more or do you very much have to do it yourself?

- Re the medical in selection, is the blood test a full needle and draw test or is it a pin-prick? Not very good with needles...

I've read the entire thread over the last week but couldn't find a huge amount on the above, so if anyone can help I'd be very grateful (either here or PM).

Good luck to everyone in their interview!

No accommodation provided during the training process if your going to be Dublin based.I’ve heard of people being asked to move closer but nothing formally requested. Train drivers are not on call so that’s not a problem

There are 2 Dart Depots Fairview and Bray you may get a choice but unlikely usually its luck of the draw. You’ll always start/finish in your own depot.

I don’t know the exact success rate but I do know some people do not make it and some just drop out, like any other job it’s up to you to do the work to qualify.

Medical is pin prick test.

Pm me for any more info you require

• Registered Users Posts: 5 LocoMoto

No accommodation provided during the training process if your going to be Dublin based.I’ve heard of people being asked to move closer but nothing formally requested. Train drivers are not on call so that’s not a problem

There are 2 Dart Depots Fairview and Bray you may get a choice but unlikely usually its luck of the draw. You’ll always start/finish in your own depot.

I don’t know the exact success rate but I do know some people do not make it and some just drop out, like any other job it’s up to you to do the work to qualify.

Medical is pin prick test.

Pm me for any more info you require

Thanks very much, that's great info. I will PM you or post here if I think of anything else.

Actually - if not on DART, do you learn all other types of locos or are you only ever assigned one type to drive?

• Advertisement

LocoMoto wrote: »
    Thanks very much, that's great info. I will PM you or post here if I think of anything else.

Actually - if not on DART, do you learn all other types of locos or are you only ever assigned one type to drive?

If your not Dart but Dublin based you’ll learn 201/071 class locos and you’ll learn 22000/29000 class rail cars. Based in Houston you’d have to learn Mk4’s in Connolly you’d learn DeDietrch train both are 201 class hauled.

If your not Dart but Dublin based you’ll learn 201/071 class locos and you’ll learn 22000/29000 class rail cars. Based in Houston you’d have to learn Mk4’s in Connolly you’d learn DeDietrch train both are 201 class hauled.

No new drivers in Dublin are learning locos. Only DART or DMU/railcars.

Some existing drivers with a good few years experience are being trained on locos, push-pull etc if they haven't been already.

Arsenal11 wrote: »
    One for Irish rail staff

Rumour has it cork Kent Station are going to be taking on hosts and platform staff.

Any one know if this is true and if so how many jobs are available for each position?

All help very much appreciated

Nothing advertised internally but I have been told there may be a recruitment drive for CSO jobs in a few months or whenever Covid is gone.

prinzeugen wrote: »
    No new drivers in Dublin are learning locos. Only DART or DMU/railcars.

Some existing drivers with a good few years experience are being trained on locos, push-pull etc if they haven't been already.

Completely untrue

All drivers in Connolly must know locos after all they work the IWT liner down Alexander road.

All drivers in Heuston learn locos as they must be able to work Heuston - Cork services and work the Inchicore premises pilot job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Completely untrue

All drivers in Connolly must know locos after all they work the IWT liner down Alexander road.

All drivers in Heuston learn locos as they must be able to work Heuston - Cork services and work the Inchicore premises pilot job.

Do Connolly drivers not do the Enterprise aswell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

GT89 wrote: »
    Do Connolly drivers not do the Enterprise aswell?

Only a few.

Completely untrue

Yes they may learn locos AT SOME POINT but will NOT do it straight out of the training school.

The current intake is for passenger trains only. Railcars or Dart.

And the drivers on the Enterprise have to be trained on NI systems regardless if its a loco or 22k.

Its the passenger side that's recruiting not freight or CE.

Yes they may learn locos AT SOME POINT but will NOT do it straight out of the training school.

The current intake is for passenger trains only. Railcars or Dart.

And the drivers on the Enterprise have to be trained on NI systems regardless if its a loco or 22k.

Its the passenger side that's recruiting not freight or CE.

There is no freight or passenger side of IE

All drivers who are going to a depot where locos are used do loco training as part of their drivers course. Connolly and Heuston have loco workings and trainees going to those depots will have learned locos as part of their driver training.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

A Hueston driver on the current course is starting 4 weeks of Loco Training next week. That is the the current classes last 4 weeks of training, before they're passed out and sent back to their depots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Arsenal11

Nothing advertised internally but I have been told there may be a recruitment drive for CSO jobs in a few months or whenever Covid is gone.

Will they be on just the circular or will they be outsourced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Furryglove

Will there be a fusion off Cso and revenue roles, not out of the realms of possibility

Perhaps both. Keep an eye on the IR website.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    A Hueston driver on the current course is starting 4 weeks of Loco Training next week. That is the the current classes last 4 weeks of training, before they're passed out and sent back to their depots.
    How long was he driving dmus?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 NewUser1998

All drivers who are going to a depot where locos are used do loco training as part of their drivers course. Connolly and Heuston have loco workings and trainees going to those depots will have learned locos as part of their driver training.

So if I’m based in Drogheda would I be trained to drive both DMU’S and locos? Both are usually sat at the station most nights

Thanks for all the info by the way

So if I’m based in Drogheda would I be trained to drive both DMU’S and locos? Both are usually sat at the station most nights

Yes you would but you wouldn’t be drogheda based straight away, more likely you’d be based out of Connolly or Heuston and request a transfer to Drogheda.

• Advertisement

No. DMU only.

Yes.. If you worked there you would know that is bollox.

Sorry you are wrong.

Yes you would but you wouldn’t be drogheda based straight away, more likely you’d be based out of Connolly or Heuston and request a transfer to Drogheda.

DMU only.

Yes.. If you worked there you would know that is bollox.

Sorry you are wrong.

24 years driving last august so I know what I’m talking about.

I see from your previous posts you are training to be a CSO. Stick to dispensing advice regarding CSO roles only as it’s quite obvious you haven’t a clue about what goes on in the driving grade.

The fact that you think there is a freight side and a passenger side and that IE recruit freight drivers or passenger drivers is astonishing.

Regarding drogheda being DMU only is completely wrong as well. Drogheda drivers work Navan to Alexander Rd Tara mines trains also which are loco hauled.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

How long was he driving dmus?

He had never driven trains before, until the training started.

7 external new hires and 1 from within IR that wasn't in a driving role on that course.

24 years driving last august so I know what I’m talking about.

I see from your previous posts you are training to be a CSO. Stick to dispensing advice regarding CSO roles only as it’s quite obvious you haven’t a clue about what goes on in the driving grade.

The fact that you think there is a freight side and a passenger side and that IE recruit freight drivers or passenger drivers is astonishing.

Regarding drogheda being DMU only is completely wrong as well. Drogheda drivers work Navan to Alexander Rd Tara mines trains also which are loco hauled.

If you had read through my posts you would see that I am not training for a CSO and I have been right through the process for train driving.

It was made crystal clear at the interview for driving that any new drivers will not be on locos, passenger or freight, as there are enough trained to cover existing duties.

As I said, anyone going for the job now will not be trained on locos but could well be a many years from now and only if there is a need.

If you had read through my posts you would see that I am not training for a CSO and I have been right through the process for train driving.

It was made crystal clear at the interview for driving that any new drivers will not be on locos, passenger or freight, as there are enough trained to cover existing duties.

As I said, anyone going for the job now will not be trained on locos but could well be a many years from now and only if there is a need.

Beg your pardon RPU

Newly qualified drivers in my depot(less than 2 months) are loco trained.

My depot has trainees in the training school undergoing loco training at the moment.

As I keep saying but your not listening. If a depot has a requirement to drive loco hauled trains then trainees for said depots will and are being loco trained.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭TheShepard

Beg your pardon RPU

Newly qualified drivers in my depot(less than 2 months) are loco trained.

My depot has trainees in the training school undergoing loco training at the moment.

As I keep saying but your not listening. If a depot has a requirement to drive loco hauled trains then trainees for said depots will and are being loco trained.

As a driver who has been through the process, this is right. If there are loco jobs at your depot then you are trained to drive them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Furryglove

The latest recruitment drive on the internal ad stressed recruitment for locomotives

• Advertisement

Furryglove wrote: »
    The latest recruitment drive on the internal ad stressed recruitment for locomotives

Where? Nothing has been advertised internally.

Advertisement