Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest Hello Doorbell Install

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

copacetic wrote: »
    it's an easy enough job, like changing a plug. Turn off main power, take that one out carefully noting the main power wires in screw holes 1 and 7 and the wires to the bell in 2 and 8. can't really mix them up since they are very different wire gaugue, drop new one in place and you are done. One to watch out for is that some bell transformers have entry at bottom for main power so your new one may go in 'upside down' to suit your wiring.,

Hi Copacetic,

Thanks for your input it gave me the confidence to have a go at installation today and I eventually got everything working. I went to the local electrical trade counter and got a 24V Bell Transformer (€13) and was bricking myself as I installed it. I'm not good or experienced with electrical DIY so even though I knew throwing the mains fuse cut all power to the fuse board I was still shaking as I uninstalled the old transformer and installed the new one which had to go in upside down!!

The rest of the process was finiky but straight forward enough and I was done and dusted in about 45 minutes - I took things very slowly and deliberately.

Once I turned the power back on the Nest Hello found the 2.4Ghz network at home and I was able to set it up using the app on my phone. I had hoped it would find the 5Ghz network as that should perform better but it didn't come up as an option even though I have both running at home.

Anyway, the Nest Hellow is now installed and working. I got some help from Google (started off with their online chat and then they called me) who walked me through the process of linking the Nest Hello to my Google Home and Google Mini so people ringing the bell are announced through the Google Home and Google Mini. They also showed me how to get the Nest Hello picture to display on my TV via the attached Nvidia Shield which has Chromecast built in.

I now need to set things up and tweak it the way I want it.

I've only come up against one problem so far which is surprisingly that I can't purchase a 5 day Nest Aware subscription. I walk all the way through the process but at the end no matter what payment method I choose (debit card or Paypal) I constantly get an error message saying "Something went wrong and we could not complete your order.". The only odd thing I can spot is that the cost of the 5 day subscription is shown as €80 per annum but when I go to pay the amount it changes the amount to be charged to €50.

Anyone had a similar experience trying to purchase a Nest Aware subscription?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭micks_address

copacetic wrote: »
    it's an easy enough job, like changing a plug. Turn off main power, take that one out carefully noting the main power wires in screw holes 1 and 7 and the wires to the bell in 2 and 8. can't really mix them up since they are very different wire gaugue, drop new one in place and you are done. One to watch out for is that some bell transformers have entry at bottom for main power so your new one may go in 'upside down' to suit your wiring.,

Hi Copacetic,

Thanks for your input it gave me the confidence to have a go at installation today and I eventually got everything working. I went to the local electrical trade counter and got a 24V Bell Transformer (€13) and was bricking myself as I installed it. I'm not good or experienced with electrical DIY so even though I knew throwing the mains fuse cut all power to the fuse board I was still shaking as I uninstalled the old transformer and installed the new one which had to go in upside down!!

The rest of the process was finiky but straight forward enough and I was done and dusted in about 45 minutes - I took things very slowly and deliberately.

Once I turned the power back on the Nest Hello found the 2.4Ghz network at home and I was able to set it up using the app on my phone. I had hoped it would find the 5Ghz network as that should perform better but it didn't come up as an option even though I have both running at home.

Anyway, the Nest Hellow is now installed and working. I got some help from Google (started off with their online chat and then they called me) who walked me through the process of linking the Nest Hello to my Google Home and Google Mini so people ringing the bell are announced through the Google Home and Google Mini. They also showed me how to get the Nest Hello picture to display on my TV via the attached Nvidia Shield which has Chromecast built in.

I now need to set things up and tweak it the way I want it.

I've only come up against one problem so far which is surprisingly that I can't purchase a 5 day Nest Aware subscription. I walk all the way through the process but at the end no matter what payment method I choose (debit card or Paypal) I constantly get an error message saying "Something went wrong and we could not complete your order.". The only odd thing I can spot is that the cost of the 5 day subscription is shown as €80 per annum but when I go to pay the amount it changes the amount to be charged to €50.

Anyone had a similar experience trying to purchase a Nest Aware subscription?
    I had this two. I think it let me after my free trial was over

That makes sense but what doesn't make sense, particularly for an uber commercial org like Google is that I haven't received any communication from them telling me they've granted me a free trial of Nest Aware for X days and there is no sign of my free trial status in my Nest Account online.

How many days does the free trial of Nest Aware last?

That makes sense but what doesn't make sense, particularly for an uber commercial org like Google is that I haven't received any communication from them telling me they've granted me a free trial of Nest Aware for X days and there is no sign of my free trial status in my Nest Account online.

How many days does the free trial of Nest Aware last?
    I thought mine was a free month.. I was worried when I couldn't sign up as I thought might have been something to do with mine having come from the US..worked in the end though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Worth contacting the support chat. Surprisingly their e-commerce is very ropey. My card expired and I have a number of cameras. The payment bounced and after ages on to the agent the only solution was to create a new house and re-connect all the cameras and as it was a new house, I had to disconnect and reconnect the smoke alarms as well.

When I had an issue before with setting up the accounts, in the end I had to use a different card, and a different browser.

Never saw a payment system as bad or buggy as theirs.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I couldn’t buy the aware via apps linking to website I think, eventually got it via the website direct I think. Basically tried it a few different ways over a day or two and then it worked, took a day to activate then.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

I had issues too. Ended up using a proxy and buying from USA. Meant i got it is dollars. When I tried from Ireland it only showed annual options on mobile and it wouldn't go through.

Contact their support and it turns out the problem was I was buying via the UK or US website which causes a problem. I guess it's related to the fact their US business can't or shouldn't be providing a service to an Irish based client. I know it's all IP based and shouldn't make a difference but it seems to.

I was advised to try ordering the Nest Aware service via their Irish site (https://store.nest.com/ie) and I completed the order in about 20 seconds. 5 day plan for €50 a year.

So I have now got a Nest Aware subscription but when I click on any of the Nest Aware options such as Familiar Faces etc all I get is a link to more info which loops back to the Nest Aware button.

Very frustrating!! Can anyone help?

Nest-Aware1544482836.png

Must say the Nest Hello online help is pretty good. All set up and streaming away. Picture quality is quite frankly amazing both during the day and via IR at night. The ability to set up alert zones and have real time motion/sound and "people" alerts is both easy to use and amazingly effective.

Within a couple of days I have every family member recognised as a familiar face including the local postman and the regular DPD courier.

So far, despite a bit of a frustrating start before I invested a little time getting to understand the product and app etc, I have to say it's a seriously amazing piece of kit.

Two questions I still haven't figured out:-

1. How can I get the Nest Hello to switch over to the 5Ghz WiFi network I have rather than the 2.4Ghz network?

2. How can I see how much data it is using per day/week/month? I logged onto my router expecting to be able to see a tool for monitoring a particular devices data usage but can't find such a tool.

I have video quality on High and it's excellent. I haven't experienced any dropouts that I'm aware of nor can I see that it is hogging the Wifi to the detriment of any other data hungry apps such as HD IPTV, Netflix, Spotify etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mexicanking

Must say the Nest Hello online help is pretty good. All set up and streaming away. Picture quality is quite frankly amazing both during the day and via IR at night. The ability to set up alert zones and have real time motion/sound and "people" alerts is both easy to use and amazingly effective.

Within a couple of days I have every family member recognised as a familiar face including the local postman and the regular DPD courier.

So far, despite a bit of a frustrating start before I invested a little time getting to understand the product and app etc, I have to say it's a seriously amazing piece of kit.

Two questions I still haven't figured out:-

1. How can I get the Nest Hello to switch over to the 5Ghz WiFi network I have rather than the 2.4Ghz network?

2. How can I see how much data it is using per day/week/month? I logged onto my router expecting to be able to see a tool for monitoring a particular devices data usage but can't find such a tool.

I have video quality on High and it's excellent. I haven't experienced any dropouts that I'm aware of nor can I see that it is hogging the Wifi to the detriment of any other data hungry apps such as HD IPTV, Netflix, Spotify etc etc.

I give you a warning before I tell you how to get it connected to 5ghz. You might lose your nest subscription as the device might change structure.
    I got mine from US, came with a years subscription. First I paired as normal but it connected to 2.5ghz. After a week I removed camera from account. Installed a fake GPS app, moved my location to USA. Then installed a free vpn app. Then paired hello to account. Connected fine to 5ghz. My previous speed was around 70 but now it always more than 300.

But I lost my pre paid subscription. Even after multiple contact with support they could not find it. Later they gave me free trial for a year.

To get my subscription back I did multiple reset, paired with Irish location. But it still connects to 5ghz. No one could help. But really happy with speed as I had occasional dropouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Got my one today, so that's this weekend's project sorted. roughly how long does it take to install?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

OU812 wrote: »
    Got my one today, so that's this weekend's project sorted. roughly how long does it take to install?

About half hour if you have everything you need and the wire etc is there

I give you a warning before I tell you how to get it connected to 5ghz. You might lose your nest subscription as the device might change structure.
    I got mine from US, came with a years subscription. First I paired as normal but it connected to 2.5ghz. After a week I removed camera from account. Installed a fake GPS app, moved my location to USA. Then installed a free vpn app. Then paired hello to account. Connected fine to 5ghz. My previous speed was around 70 but now it always more than 300.

But I lost my pre paid subscription. Even after multiple contact with support they could not find it. Later they gave me free trial for a year.

To get my subscription back I did multiple reset, paired with Irish location. But it still connects to 5ghz. No one could help. But really happy with speed as I had occasional dropouts.

Wow, that's fairly convoluted but well done. I installed a range extender for my 2.4Ghz network near the front door and it's working fine with no drop outs whatsoever.

The main thing for me was to install a 16V - 24V Bell Transformer as the legacy one was only 12v which isn't enough to power the device. Other than that it was fairly straightforward and I'm no DIY'er i can assure you!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

My nest hello bell packed it in last week.

Just dead. Will investigate at the end of weekend, but I'd be very surprised if it's the traffo

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Stoner wrote: »
    My nest hello bell packed it in last week.

Just dead. Will investigate at the end of weekend, but I'd be very surprised if it's the traffo

Oh dear! Under warranty I assume, but did you but it in the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Can anyone tell me where I can buy one of these? Been looking at websites for Harvry Normans, Currys, etc. And also the irish google store site and there’s none.

I’m in Dublin, Ireland.

Am i missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

GSPfan wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me where I can buy one of these? Been looking at websites for Harvry Normans, Currys, etc. And also the irish google store site and there’s none.

I’m in Dublin, Ireland.

Am i missing something?

Fairly sure ingot mine in Harvey normans

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Fairly sure ingot mine in Harvey normans

Doesn’t seem to be available online anywhere i can find. Strange.

• Advertisement

GSPfan wrote: »
    Doesn’t seem to be available online anywhere i can find. Strange.

I bought mine off Currys PC World website before Xmas but they are currently out of stock - https://www.currys.ie/ieen/smart-tech/smart-tech/smart-home/smart-monitoring/nest-hello-video-doorbell-10182401-pdt.html

Try direct from the Google/Nest Irish site? https://store.nest.com/ie/product/nest-hello/NC5100GB

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

2011 wrote:

Yes I did! Bestbuy 154 bucks with a Google home mini

Stoner wrote: »
    2011 wrote:

Yes I did! Bestbuy 154 bucks with a Google home mini
    Let us know how you get on warranty wise. Hopefully nest UK Ireland will send you a replacement without much hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

Argos have them and in stock. 10 quid more expensive than Nest/Google website though

Got it installed. Easy enough process.

Only problem is the chime isn’t working with it. Not a dealbreaker as I’ve got google homes all over the place, but would prefer if it was.

Got it installed. Easy enough process.

Only problem is the chime isn’t working with it. Not a dealbreaker as I’ve got google homes all over the place, but would prefer if it was.
    Do you have a mechanical chime?

Electric but it’s got bars that are struck

Electric but it’s got bars that are struck
    That's similar to mine...did you try installing part in the chime?

Yup. Gonna try reversing the wires tomorrow just in case

• Advertisement

Yup. Gonna try reversing the wires tomorrow just in case
    I think I've a post back earlier showing how it was wired into ours. I assume the chime worked with old bell? What power transformer have you running it?

Advertisement