Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest Hello Doorbell Install

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭micks_address

AmberGold wrote: »
    Well all working fine, on another note I see Ring offer free replacements if stolen. I don’t see anything for Nest, anyone know what their policy is?
    There is something on the US website I think..

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

AmberGold wrote: »
    Picked up a Garo 8 - 24V tranformer for my fuse box for €10 in the local electrical wholesaler this morning. No need to use Amazon lads.
    Could you send on the full model details of the garo please?

Moreilly wrote: »
    Had ordered one of these and tried connecting it up this morning... Went pop :(

No info (obvious to me anyway) on it which terminal on top took live and which took neutral. I put live in the left (as you face it) and neutral in the right. After flipping the trip switch the capacitor between the primary connectors popped.

I guess I got live and neutral the wrong way round. Anyone out there with one of these installed can you please confirm wiring?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

No info (obvious to me anyway) on it which terminal on top took live and which took neutral. I put live in the left (as you face it) and neutral in the right. After flipping the trip switch the capacitor between the primary connectors popped.

I guess I got live and neutral the wrong way round. Anyone out there with one of these installed can you please confirm wiring?

Did you put it in upside down?

If the 230v cables are connected to the 24v output it will blow the transformer.

• Advertisement

If the 230v cables are connected to the 24v output it will blow the transformer.
    Thanks for that vintagecosmos... Assumed that the primary 230V went in at the top like the transformer I was replacing, doh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Getting the Live and Neutral mixed up wont cause any damage. you will need to connect the Live and Neutral between the terminals with 240 on them.

As others have said if you connect the mains accross the low voltage side you will irreparably damage the transformer or as we say you let the smoke out.

Thanks for that vintagecosmos... Assumed that the primary 230V went in at the top like the transformer I was replacing, doh

I did the same :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭54and56

I'm hoping to get lucky and fit a Nest Hello myself rather than have to get the Electrician to do it.

I have a wired doorbell and electric chime so all good so far.

Did I get lucky with the transformer or will it need to be replaced/altered in some way?

IMG201811051352351541426145.jpg

I'm hoping to get lucky and fit a Nest Hello myself rather than have to get the Electrician to do it.

Did I get lucky with the transformer or will it need to be replaced/altered in some way?

You can run it for a while and see. Few people reported it dropping from wifi with lower voltage transformer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

I had this exact transformer in my house (hager ST 303).
    My house bell was connected to the 8v and it wasn't enough to power the nest when I swapped it in. 12v may work but I think it might still be too low. I had already gotten a 24v one so never even tried the 12v. Nest recommends 16 v - 24 v.

You can run it for a while and see. Few people reported it dropping from wifi with lower voltage transformer

Thanks for that micks_address, I might just give it a crack and see, if I have to get the transformer changed then so be it.

As an aside, does the Nest Hello offer the option of connecting to 5Ghz WiFi? I have both bands available and IIRC 5Ghz might be easier for the device to process so in turn might get by with the lower voltage or is that just me showing my complete ignorance of both WiFi and all things electrical? :o

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I've a 24V traffic on mine. 9.5 pounds on amazon
    No issues

Ring Pro discounted to £139 in the Amazon Black Friday sale.

Any sign of the Nest Hello getting a similar discount from Google? I've my fingers crossed as I want to buy one soon!!

Ring Pro discounted to £139 in the Amazon Black Friday sale.

Any sign of the Nest Hello getting a similar discount from Google? I've my fingers crossed as I want to buy one soon!!
    Unlikely to get major discount in Ireland or UK store. They doing bundles in the US where you get 50 dollars off a home hub if you buy a hello

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I've read through this entire thread and haven't seen anyone confirm if a typical 8V chime is compatible with the Nest Hello, could someone confirm this?

It's not

Stoner wrote: »
    It's not

The chime may be..
    You will need a 16 volt transformer

Unlikely to get major discount in Ireland or UK store. They doing bundles in the US where you get 50 dollars off a home hub if you buy a hello

You're right unfortunately, €50 off lots of Google Home products but the Nest Hello is excluded, still €279 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

You're right unfortunately, €50 off lots of Google Home products but the Nest Hello is excluded, still €279 :(

The UK site have a free home mini with the hello.
    Hope on Friday it drops more but un likely

nigwerwig wrote: »
    The UK site have a free home mini with the hello.
    Hope on Friday it drops more but un likely

I just got an email from Google saying their Black Friday sale "Starts Now" but the Nest Hello is excluded. Still £229 on the UK site and no sign of a free Home Mini even at checkout :(

• Advertisement

I just got an email from Google saying their Black Friday sale "Starts Now" but the Nest Hello is excluded. Still £229 on the UK site and no sign of a free Home Mini even at checkout :(

I just looked again on the UK site it has free mini on the hello page and free mini box when you press buy now

ordered one from UK with the free mini. Need a transformer now anyone got one that works and in spec etc any links would great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

nigwerwig wrote: »
    ordered one from UK with the free mini. Need a transformer now anyone got one that works and in spec etc any links would great

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01MDJWFB7/ref=oh_aui_i_sh_post_o1_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used this one (recommended in earlier posts). Works perfect.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,570 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

After starting the thread and getting one pre Ireland release via US I’ve only just got it all sorted, working reasonably well, integrates much better then ring pro with tv and google home hub screen. Delay before you get image or notification a fair bit worse. Picture slightly better. Main thing is that it’s working so far, unlike ring pros which kept failing for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Yes works very well with the google home hub. When the door bell is pressed 1/2 the screen shows the camera feed. If you say hi Google stream doorbell it will stream the video full screen on the hum.

You can also instruct it to stream to a chromecast hi google stream doorbell to NAME OF CHROMECAST

To stop the stream simply say hi google stop streaming.

I’ve actually set the names so can just say ‘show front door on TV’ or on the home hub, ‘ show front door’

copacetic wrote: »
    I’ve actually set the names so can just say ‘show front door on TV’ or on the home hub, ‘ show front door’

Have home hub to open Xmas day so looking forward to setting up

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Advanced ai me'arse ;);)

Kids got a laugh out of it though !

Screenshot-2018-12-01-12-21-12-141-com-nest-android.png

dingding wrote: »
    Getting the Live and Neutral mixed up wont cause any damage. you will need to connect the Live and Neutral between the terminals with 240 on them.

As others have said if you connect the mains accross the low voltage side you will irreparably damage the transformer or as we say you let the smoke out.

Just ordered my Nest Hello but will likely have to change the transformer. Is that strictly a professional electrician job (very hard to get one to do small jobs like this) or can it be safely done by an average DIY'er?

I've got this transformer installed currently but not sure if the ringer is connected to 8v or 12v. Whatever about 12v I assume 8v won't do anything given Nest recommend 16v - 24v.

• Advertisement

it's an easy enough job, like changing a plug. Turn off main power, take that one out carefully noting the main power wires in screw holes 1 and 7 and the wires to the bell in 2 and 8. can't really mix them up since they are very different wire gaugue, drop new one in place and you are done. One to watch out for is that some bell transformers have entry at bottom for main power so your new one may go in 'upside down' to suit your wiring.,

Advertisement