Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My garden Room Build

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

The finished article (outside anyway!)

521854.jpeg

The lighting I got from IKEA. Great piece of kit, with a wireless controller that sits in the main house. Choice of warm or cool white. Very slick with super easy setup. 2 sets gets you 6 bulbs and 2 controllers. That’s a spare bulb for outside and a controller for inside, so just bought 6 x warm white dimmable for a fiver each To use with the 2nd controller.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/tradfri-remote-control-kit-white-spectrum-00406547/

• Registered Users Posts: 31,019 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Where's RobAMerc got to with his?

Did I miss an update?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

sorry, I bought an old Jag and my attention has been diverted away from this for a while.

There are only a few minor bits left, mostly with the paint brush ( which I hate )

But I've officially moved in, its the HQ of my company now and I work there daily !

The damn plug for the TV box is too big to fit behind the telly so despite all my hard work there are still cables hanging down.
    I will fix that easily enough - but as I said, my attention is elsewhere at the moment.

521889.jpeg
    521890.jpeg
    521891.jpeg
    521892.jpeg

dodzy wrote: »
    The lighting I got from IKEA. Great piece of kit, with a wireless controller that sits in the main house. Choice of warm or cool white. Very slick with super easy setup. 2 sets gets you 6 bulbs and 2 controllers. That’s a spare bulb for outside and a controller for inside, so just bought 6 x warm white dimmable for a fiver each To use with the 2nd controller.
    How did you wire them?

Lighting is weird now. We used to rely on lighting ring circuits (I think, I'm no sparks) but now with wireless controls there's no need for switching circuitry. So what do we do? Wire all the light sockets all in parallel from a dedicated slot in the consumer unit? Hang them off a plug socket? Wire them into a plug?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Odelay

RobAMerc wrote: »
    sorry, I bought an old Jag and my attention has been diverted away from this for a while.

There are only a few minor bits left, mostly with the paint brush ( which I hate )

But I've officially moved in, its the HQ of my company now and I work there daily !

The damn plug for the TV box is too big to fit behind the telly so despite all my hard work there are still cables hanging down.
    I will fix that easily enough - but as I said, my attention is elsewhere at the moment.

521892.jpeg

What line of work are you in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

He helps young women down in there luck with a new career.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

afatbollix wrote:
    He helps young women down in there luck with a new career.

For up to $5000 per gig

Yeah.... we're gonna need to see pics of the Jag too :pac:

Also, have you any plans on alarming the room or any type of security system?

Odelay wrote: »
    What line of work are you in?

First thing that popped into my head too. :pac:

Lumen wrote: »
    How did you wire them?

Lighting is weird now. We used to rely on lighting ring circuits (I think, I'm no sparks) but now with wireless controls there's no need for switching circuitry. So what do we do? Wire all the light sockets all in parallel from a dedicated slot in the consumer unit? Hang them off a plug socket? Wire them into a plug?

I’ve a 13amp fused spur Coming off the ring main in the house (approx 8 mtrs from point to point). Where the 2.5sq enters the shed on the left side, I’ve an isolator (another fused 13amp I had spare) which feeds off to sockets in both sides of the build. At this isolator I also have a feed to another fused spur (6 amp) ) for all the lighting, internal and external. Total load for lights is 12 x 5w GU10 led and a twin T8 100w fluorescent for shed side. So very little demand on the lighting circuit. I’ve a perm feed to the external lights and a separate switched feed To both the shed fluorescent and the ‘room’ side (in case daughter loses the wireless controller - not if, more like when) .
    As for the rest of the power, 4 double sockets on her side for nothing of demand (525watt panel heater is the only appliance ) and 4 on the shed side, again, very little demand. I did buy a Scheppach bench drill in Lidl for €99 (500watt) Which will be a permanent fixture. So, I should be fine with 13amps - plenty to spare :)

• Advertisement

Thanks, that's really useful.

Which panel heater did you go for?

What ventilation?

Lumen wrote: »
    Thanks, that's really useful.

Which panel heater did you go for?

What ventilation?

Bought this on the blind.

https://www.buyitdirect.ie/p/ultraslim-paintable-550-watt-panel-heater-with-smart-app-epph5w

Worth a punt at the price I felt. As for ventilation, I didn’t. If she’s too warm, she can open the door ;)

There are Integrated vents in both of the door top sides.

Bought this on the blind.

https://www.buyitdirect.ie/p/ultraslim-paintable-550-watt-panel-heater-with-smart-app-epph5w

Worth a punt at the price I felt. As for ventilation, I didn’t. If she’s too warm, she can open the door ;)

There are Integrated vents in both of the door top sides.

Good find! I also bought a cheap heater and invested the savings in a Nest smoke alarm. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Any reason why you went with fluorescent?
    There’s lots of good LED lights out there that will give you the same or better light.

ted1 wrote: »
    Any reason why you went with fluorescent?
    There’s lots of good LED lights out there that will give you the same or better light.
    Didn’t buy yet, never even done groundwork. Would gladly go LED if not costing a fortune. Care to recommend something Ted?

I got this one 4ft one recently : L'Home 4FT 120CM 36W LED Batten... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MBTRHS9?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
    Lights up a 8ft x 10ft shed really well.

Haven’t had it long enough to give a proper review, but so far so good

Didn’t buy yet, never even done groundwork. Would gladly go LED if not costing a fortune. Care to recommend something Ted?

FWIW the parts I used for my overengineered setup here were these from https://www.hiline-lighting.co.uk/

...plus alu profile diffusers from the local electrical wholesaler for about €16 per 2m.

You could pare that back a bit to save a fair bit, e.g. use lower power transformer, 12V rather than 24V, don't bother with connectors.

But the CCT tuneable white style of LEDs are fantastic. Just pay attention to watts per meter and lumens per meter and spec appropriately leaving 10% overhead in the transformer.

I got this one 4ft one recently : L'Home 4FT 120CM 36W LED Batten... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MBTRHS9?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Ted, thanks a mill. Had a quick look..... and purchased via amazon prime for 20quid delivered. Can’t ask for more than that and no homework needed on my part :)

Thanks for the info Lumen

Super light, worked out a treat, cheers Ted

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=mbHBc6fDTrU

Daughter put this together last night. Finished. At last. Total cost 4,260€.

• Advertisement

is that wallpaper? the stone effect works really well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

That worked out really well. You do realise you're never getting rid of her now though right :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Super job all around and a great little video for posterity.

You should be very proud dodzy, congratulations.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

is that wallpaper? the stone effect works really well
    yes, one wall.one roll. Ordered 2 to allow for the match but didn’t need it. Have a spare roll here.
    iwillhtfu wrote: »
    That worked out really well. You do realise you're never getting rid of her now though right :D
    yep:) the colour she wanted for the 3 walls was warm sand dulux but on application it was way too dark. Tinted it @ 10 parts white to 1 part warm sand - made 2x2.5 Ltr tubs so can touch up in the future as I’ll most likely forget how I made it!
    Super job all around and a great little video for posterity.

You should be very proud dodzy, congratulations.
    cheers, really enjoyed it. The plastering was interesting; first time, but finished up pretty well. Just taped and jointed the ceiling. She’s happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Wow dodzy. That looks fantastic well done!

Wow dodzy. That looks fantastic well done!

Owe you for sussing out the cladding pal👍

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Well done dodzy. It looks great.
    I suppose it will be know as the Covid19 room forever more!

cocoman wrote: »
    Well done dodzy. It looks great.
    I suppose it will be know as the Covid19 room forever more!

Dead right. A missed trip to Majorca paid for the thing 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Brilliant job and fair play for sharing. Great fun family video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 yulasinio

@dodzy that looks great. How close to the back wall the building is? Do you have the same finish on the back and sides?
    I'm getting ideas for my shed/office and I would like to maximize the garden space as much as possible meaning that I'm trying to build close to boundary walls.

Thanks,
    J

Advertisement