Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aviation weather thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Compared to 2010 there is a better chance of melting between showers during the day as the sun is almost 50% stronger now than in early December. Getting proper sunny spells between the showers, though, will be difficult, and of course the mornings will be problematic after overnight falls.

It will be dry snow, however the partial melt and refreeze action could lead to tricky ice conditions on aprons and taxiways. I can't see more than 5-10 cm total accumlations at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭trellheim

ratty mcratts since its an aviation forum "looks like I picked the wrong week to fly to London " thanks all for the advice tho sometimes trying to build a business is a chore

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

trellheim wrote: »
    ratty mcratts since its an aviation forum "looks like I picked the wrong week to fly to London " thanks all for the advice tho sometimes trying to build a business is a chore
    Best of luck, I’m due in LGW myself on Thursday morning, just wondering where I’ll divert to now if the rest of the U.K. will be the same :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Bsal

Locker10a wrote: »
    Best of luck, I’m due in LGW myself on Thursday morning, just wondering where I’ll divert to now if the rest of the U.K. will be the same :/

Probably Jersey :pac:

Bsal wrote: »

Don’t think the aircraft I’ll be on can land there!! It’s a long haul flight so less diversion options !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,117 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Bsal wrote: »

You'd be very surprised! They may get some snow too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭trellheim

Came over on the morning Ryanair to Gatwick - it is snowing in East Croydon at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭quartz1

I appreciate that it's guess work but I have an early flight out of Cork on Thursday morning and I am wondering what's the likehood of a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

Heading from Shannon to Manchester on Friday night, I'm hoping the worst of the weather is over by then

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

At this point, it's almost impossible to call things in relation to Cork and Shannon for the end of the week. There is a low pressure area coming through, but there is no certainty about the track it's going to take, so we can't tell if Cork and Shannon will be in the middle of a massive blizzard, or less intense snow, or even possibly rain, and that call won't be made by anyone with any degree of accuracy before Wednesday.

Thursday should not be too bad, Friday is completely "in the air", literally, at the moment.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

What's the airlines responsible for if they can land in Dublin? Are we entitled to free hotel and food??

I'm flying in on Thursday at 7pm with emerates

What's the airlines responsible for if they can land in Dublin? Are we entitled to free hotel and food??

I'm flying in on Thursday at 7pm with emerates

You're entitled to a hotel, food vouchers, a reroute of travel or a free cancellation as well as a phone call. Should all be listed in a document called EU261, Google it for more info.

You would not be entitled to compensation, as this delay is due to weather which is outside their control.

I'd be happy with the hotel and food.
    Thanks for the reply mate

I'd be happy with the hotel and food.
    Thanks for the reply mate

The airline may not actually put you up in one and say they're all full, however if this happens look for yourself (as long as it's a reasonable price) and then send them the bill.

Ive 3c left in the bank after my backpack trip so I'm relieing on them

Insurance might sort me out

Aeroweather back to full working order after being painful to use all weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

This thread is more about what can I screw the airlines for as against what’s coming re the weather .

duskyjoe wrote: »
    This thread is more about what can I screw the airlines for as against what’s coming re the weather .

It's not really, it's what their obligations are. A travel delay can be bad enough without having no information and having to stay on a terminal floor.

Not much action in the Dublin, Casement or Valley TAFS for this afternoon. Only PROB30 of snow showers, with Dublin only seeing action after midnight.

There are also no warnings issued for any other airports, which is unusual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

JCX BXC wrote: »
    It's not really, it's what their obligations are. A travel delay can be bad enough without having no information and having to stay on a terminal floor.

Disagree. There shouldn’t be a cross over on the thread of what one is entitled to as against the nasty weather about to hit which is the core of the thread. For what it’s worth I use the YR app. I find it very good. Stay safe folks and if your traveling by air keep a hard watch on the airline web sites re their schedules. Thurs night looks awful re amount of precipitation/ snow to fall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

On the subject of Thursday, due to fly Luxembourg to Dublin in what I think is some kind of a de Havilland. Lux is clear for snow until Friday...but I am concerned about arriving in Dublin. I realise it is 2 days out but at what stage should I start asking Luxair about a resched?

With notice of what’s building up be very disruptive winter weather does anyone know what contingency plans airlines are putting in place ?
    For example, would it be worth it for Aer Lingus or Ryanair to cancel some of their flights on high frequency routes, and move some aircraft over to say Shannon airport for a few nights. Operate some flights from there where it seems there’ll be much less snow and disruption, and email passengers notice of this offering them an alternative to the weather chaos Dublin will probably see.
    This would keep at least some passengers on the move and I’m sure many would be delighted with an alternative rather than being outright cancelled and sleeping in a terminal.
    I’d bet if they did this and offered a daily flight to MAD, BCN, FCO,GVA, ZRH, MUC, JFK, SFO, etc but departing from SNN from Wednesday onwards they’d fill the flights easily with people willing to re-route.
    Provided of course SNN does indeed escape the worst of things as predicted

Heathrow already asked Aer Lingus to reduce its schedule.

Heathrow already asked Aer Lingus to reduce its schedule.
    Yeah I know that but I’m suggesting operating a portion of your schedule but from an alternative airport to avoid just cancelling flights! LHR and uk will probably be a no-go anyway but US and European destinations won’t be affected

Yeah I know that but I’m suggesting operating a portion of your schedule but from an alternative airport to avoid just cancelling flights!

Do you know understand the massive logistics involved in what you are suggesting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

NOTAM
    DUBLIN AERODROME IS UNAVAILABLE FOR DIVERTED TRAFFIC DUE TO ADVERSE WEATHER. HOME BASED CARRIERS AND EMERGENCY TRAFFIC ARE EXEMPT FROM THIS REQUIREMENT

duskyjoe wrote: »
    I wasn't looking to screw anyone for anything.
    I simply wanted to know if the airline had to put me up in a hotel if diverted or if I'd be on the terminal floor

Met Éireann warnings now out for 3-5 cm snow at Dublin and Casement from 2330Z tonight to 1200Z tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭jd

My OH is on ET504 6:30 am that heads on to LAX after DUB. I wonder is there a good chance at the moment it will head on to SNN to refuel and bus back the DUB passengers.. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

jd wrote: »
    My OH is on ET504 6:30 am that heads on to LAX after DUB. I wonder is there a good chance at the moment it will head on to SNN to refuel and bus back the DUB passengers.. :(

Well the crew that is due to take the aircraft onwards to LAX will be at DUB, so no reason why the flight would not proceed to Dublin in the first instance. ET500 which refuels at Dublin en route ADD-IAD is already en route, ETA 0438. Obviously if the weather dictated diversions that would have to happen, but I imagine Plan B would ideally see the aircraft make it to Dublin later rather than sending crews and passengers around the country by road.

Advertisement