Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aviation weather thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The Pilot weather app (Previously called Aeroweather) again not broadcasting METARS or TAF's. This has become more and more common lately, anyone else finding these issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

JCX BXC wrote: »
    The Pilot weather app (Previously called Aeroweather) again not broadcasting METARS or TAF's. This has become more and more common lately, anyone else finding these issues?

I use the Metam app for Android. Love it.

I use the Metam app for Android. Love it.

Can't find it on the playstore, has it changed names?

Can't find it on the playstore, has it changed names?

Hmm, I can't find it there either now, and when I open it it's not retrieving data due to a server problem. Try again later maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,077 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

When did it start being called PILOT WEATHER? It’s still showing in my devices as Aeroweather.

I use his daily for a strange selection of airports, it has TAFS/METARS. But I am using the paid version

• Advertisement

smurfjed wrote: »
    When did it start being called PILOT WEATHER? It’s still showing in my devices as Aeroweather.

I use his daily for a strange selection of airports, it has TAFS/METARS. But I am using the paid version

In the last update. Also using the paid version.

Metam seems to be back up and running now JCX.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aeroperf.metam

I'll take a look at it and see how I find it, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,404 ✭✭✭irishgeo

be interesting to see dublin copes with the possible bucketloads of snow next weekend.

Not actually working for me, weather info won't load. Aeroweather also being very awkward this morning, not loading METAR's for some airports, refusing to show TAF's for airports outside irelsnd, refusing to show previous METAR's.

I'm thinking they all use the same data source and hence are all affected when it has issues.

I've found an online site called aviador which works very well, and also has some interesting charts such as the wind profile for an airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Flying to new York Thursday, how bad does it need to get before I need to start worrying?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Flying to new York Thursday, how bad does it need to get before I need to start worrying?

Depends on how the airport handle it, if they can keep the manoeuvring areas clear you dont need to worry but anything dumping of snow will probably overwhelm their capacity to clear snow do some disruption is likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

When they cancel the flight, which is also when you can stop worrying (about the weather at least)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

If you're flying Norwegian then no worries! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Tenzor07 wrote: »

If you're flying Norwegian then no worries! :D
    Am I missing something?ðŸ§

• Registered Users Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Locker10a wrote: »
    Am I missing something?

Used to the snow, not as if they're Qatar or Emirates! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Locker10a wrote: »
    Am I missing something?

Used to the snow, not as if they're Qatar or Emirates! :rolleyes:

You could have penguins from the poles operating your flight, but if the airport can’t handle it then you’re still screwed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭trellheim

this is very true. Its also true that this is the most positive indication of snow I've ever seen. As I too will be inbound Thursday I am interested - is prep underway ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

A lot will depend on the type of snow that falls. If the forecasts are right, and it's looking that way, most of what falls will be powder snow, and that's relatively easy to move off things like runways and other access routes, and if there's a reasonable wind blowing, parked aircraft won't get the coverage on them that means a lot of work to get it off again with the de icer equipment. If on the other hand we get "wet" snow, which packs into frozen mass that's more ice than snow, moving that is a different issue, and that will cause massive disruption.

The other factor will be how the snow falls, if we get streamers off the Irish Sea, and there are breaks in the falls, then keeping on top of it becomes easier, but if we get a streamer off the Southern end of the Isle of Man, that can dump abnormal quantities of snow on a narrow band over prolonged periods, which can overwhelm the ability of the clearers to keep it clear.

If it happened every year, they'd have the equipment, staff and plans in place to deal with it. The reality is that there are so few snow days at Dublin, while they have the equipment, the staff are double tasking from other areas, and the plans never really get proved to be good ones, so there is the very real chance that things may not go well this week, given the abnormal direction and temperatures that are being forecast for later in the week.

The other factor will be that many airports in the UK will be experiencing similar problems, so there is a good chance of significant delays to flights coming in to Dublin from other places.

And then the last issue will be how much de icing fluid the handlers have in stock, and from experience (a good few years ago now), there is the distinct possibility of supply chain issues there, and the reliability of the de ice rigs left a lot to be desired a while back, departing with ice on the airframe is a big no no, so that could be the final weak link in the chain.

At this stage, even though it's only a few days away, no one can be sure how this coming week is going to pan out, snow in Ireland is usually so marginal and unpredictable. The Farming forecast earlier was very clear about it, "This IS going to happen", which for the met service is almost unheard of, they very rarely give such a strong indication more than 48 hours out.

My gut instinct is that there could be significant problems at Dublin, due to the proximity of the Irish Sea and the direction that the winds will be coming from.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I’m going to Birmingham for the World Indoor Athletics Championships on Thursday to Monday. Flying from Dublin Thursday lunchtime. The championships start Thursday evening.

What’s the percentage likelihood right now based on forecasts that my flight will be cancelled?

Should I bite the bullet and book a boat to Hollyhead and train to Birmingham on Thursday?

Are boat and train journeys likely to be effected by this too?

This is a real pain. Any other week and I wouldn’t care, but timing is awful for me.

• Advertisement

Reading the threads over in the Weather forum I cant help but agree ref the forecast.

However - would this not be the couple of days to overhaul the deicers and the plows, and have a good few lads prepped for the overtime ?

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I’m going to Birmingham for the World Indoor Athletics Championships on Thursday to Monday. Flying from Dublin Thursday lunchtime. The championships start Thursday evening.

What’s the percentage likelihood right now based on forecasts that my flight will be cancelled?

Should I bite the bullet and book a boat to Hollyhead and train to Birmingham on Thursday?

Are boat and train journeys likely to be effected by this too?

This is a real pain. Any other week and I wouldn’t care, but timing is awful for me.

As I've said in the weather thread to you, looking for a percentage likelihood is something you'd want to pay someone to compile.

Firstly you've to take the weather in both Dublin and Birmingham, and all those possibilities, cover it with how fast the runway can be cleared, frequency of showers, amount of traffic, amount of deicers, etc etc, it would be impossible.

However, I will say that your chances of an on time departure are slim. You'll have a good delay if you take off at all, both Birmingham and Dublin will have snow on Thursday, especially Thursday night by my looks. Keep in mind that transport in the UK will likely be heavily disrupted too.

It's a tough scenario and quite frankly I don't think anyone can tell you with any level of accuracy what to do.

What is the position regarding compensation claiming in these cases , is it one of "weather - outside airline's control " ? ref EU261

trellheim wrote: »
    What is the position regarding compensation claiming in these cases , is it one of "weather - outside airline's control " ? ref EU261

Of course!

the forecast for Thursday is suggesting "significant snow", and that will be on top of whatever has already fallen in the previous days. The UK is already under amber (orange) warnings for some areas, and that's unlikely to be downgraded between now and then. The chances of rail from Holyhead to Birmingham being without disruption are not good, I know that route, and it's going through areas that are likely to see significant snow, so the chances of that option being better than the air option are probably not good, which may not be what you need to hear, but unfortunately, it's the reality of what is shaping up to be the worst snow for over 30 years, I've never seen the weather models so much in agreement about what's happening this far ahead of the event.

Beyond that, it's impossible to call, even with the models in as much agreement as they are, the precise snow depth, and where it comes, and at what times it comes will be nowcasting, we can't be more precise than that, and no one can, it's just not possible to get that fine a resolution of the outcome.

Yes. I am supposed to be coming back Thursday from LGW; may move it to Friday now or is it worth it whats the consensus

Yes. I am supposed to be coming back Thursday from LGW; may move it to Friday now or is it worth it whats the consensus

Friday evening is probably a safer bet, but there's not enough confidence in that low pressure system to tell you with any certainty yet.

Friday is very much uncertain for both Ireland, and even more so for Gatwick, there is a low pressure area to go through down south, and the exact track is still "in the air".

A few miles north or south will make a huge difference, further south, and the South of England could have blizzard conditions, a bit further north, and it could pull in some slightly warmer air from the south of France and that could change snow into rain, but as of today, no one is prepared to call it, the computer models vary between the 2 extremes, so unfortunately, your guess is as good as anyone else until probably Wednesday. For Dublin, it's less uncertain, there will be "significant snow" on both Thursday and Friday, so there will be disruption to flights, the only unknown is how much disruption.

Thank you. What about going the other direction with this - come back Wednesday instead ? ( apologies for Off-topic )

• Advertisement

Thank you. What about going the other direction with this - come back Wednesday instead ? ( apologies for Off-topic )

Wednesday will have widespread heavy snow showers, there's no escaping it without coming back tomorrow!

Advertisement