Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experiences/advice with Airsoft retailers.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It would seem someone in customs is confused. Either that or there's been some change in policy that's going to effect us all.

How this works out could be a benchmark for all future imports. I really hope it goes well for you two. For all our sakes.

Edit;

Actually, a mate of mine just got an AEG AUG in the post a few days ago perfectly fine. Maybe I should retract the dramatics for the time being ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

I agree sending them a polite letter explaining the situation, along with a copy of the Act, is the way to go, but might it also be worth giving someone a call ? Is there a phone number on the letter ?

At the very least, they might say "Oh yeah, didn't realise, sorry about that - but send on the copy of the act anyway".

But someone might also be able to say if there's been a change in policy regarding importing this stuff, and save you guys an agonising wait for a week or so.

Master of the Universe

The problem with such phone calls, as N.O.I.P experienced a while back, is they usually follow this pattern;

"Hi, I'm ringing about my airsoft device which you have impounded"

"Yes, we are currently waiting for you to produce your firearms license"

"But there was a change in the law, the 06 Justice bill etc etc"

"Sorry sir, they are illegal to import without a license"

"Insert another well thought out statement"

"Sorry sir, they are illegal to import without a license"

*Infinity symbol*

It's worth ringing them alright. Just don't become too irate if it turns into the above conversation.

Yeah, I guess I should have remembered it's Minions of Bureaucracy we're dealing with here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

MaxForce wrote:
    Liamo and Wossack, What supplier were you using for the AEG and the GBB?
    I am thinking of ordering a AEG and an AEP from RSOV but after seeing this am not to sure at the moment. Are they targeting a specific supplier I wonder.

my usp's coming in from uncompany, using speedpost (i'd say its the parcel company, and how the contents are declared on the box tbh)

tis a pox anyway! hope it works out :confused: thanks for the links and suggestions anyway guys, keep em coming

the actual fps of the yoke is still eluding me, in concrete terms, for me to send on to them - searched the japanese ksc site there a while ago, though couldnt find anything. Only thing Ive found are reviews on the net - dont think forums posts off arnies are gonna hold much water though :(

• Advertisement

Wossack wrote:
    the actual fps of the yoke is still eluding me, in concrete terms, for me to send on to them - searched the japanese ksc site there a while ago, though couldnt find anything. Only thing Ive found are reviews on the net - dont think forums posts off arnies are gonna hold much water though :(

Would it have technical specs or power ratings anywhere in the packaging itself that you could point them to ? Like on the AEG's retail box or in the manual?

found a manual (for a kwa - ugh, be hard even explaining that!) here but it didnt have anything either... might just chance it with just not saying anything about its fps - surely they have to prove its not legal, rather then me proving its legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

for them to legally confiscate an AEG, id imagine the person inspecting it would have to be a certified firearms expert, (i know, i know, they're not firearms, but they would have to know what they're doing to legally verify that they are not)

i sincerely doubt that the people in customs have the required experience for this

anyway, ive an aeg on the way from redwolf at the moment, should be here by tues/wed, ill let you know if it arrives no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭liamo333

I just sent my letter off to them. I'll let you know what happens.

Master of the Universe

kdouglas wrote:
    for them to legally confiscate an AEG, id imagine the person inspecting it would have to be a certified firearms expert, (i know, i know, they're not firearms, but they would have to know what they're doing to legally verify that they are not)

i sincerely doubt that the people in customs have the required experience for this

Don't forget, people also import real firearms. I'm sure customs have all the required experience to deal with items of that nature.

Lets just hope someone made a boob.

• Advertisement

fair point

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

LIGHTNING wrote:
    Did you see the post on the Vipershop website?

ALL ORDERS! posted by Sean 28/04/2007

ALL customers that have ordered and have paid and not got there order, all these orders will be shiped out on wed next day delivery. All customers will be given store credit how much credit will be set out on how long you have been waiting.

Sorry for the amount of time you have had to wait.

Sadly seems to be one excuse after another and no attempt to contact customers. I hve emailed them and now had to goto Paypal and raise a dispute, far from happy.

Join Ireland Weather Network

it seems like the problem with viper shop is that they were either not ready for the opening (likely due to their problems with their supplier) or they were overwhelmed with the amount of orders, likely a combination of both

they could turn out to be a good supplier, if they keep their word and everything ships out on wednesday, ill probably head up to downpatrick in a few weeks and buy some stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭padmundo

In defense of vipershop they did let me know of the supplier problems. I think one or two other problems arose due to the new bill (vcr?) that came in a while back in the uk, they posted it on the website. Then orders that were classed as in stock when the orders were made became out of stock in the suppliers in the mean time. They have the actual physical store open now so I reckon they should run smoothly from now on. There are always unseen problems when opening any new business, give the guys a chance!

AFAIK no other retailer operates on a system that it is in stock if their supplier has it. All the ones I have dealt with to date, apart from Viper, are able to dispatch from their own stock level. Good luck to them but I think they will lose some business

Again, another excellent delivery from the guys at Fire-Support. My wish list there is too long :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭EyesOnly

Well if mine ain't sent on Wednesday or I've got my full refund I'm afraid its a PayPal dispute here too. i've be told alot of stuff by them and its always been it'll be sent on (put Date here)... and I've had enough.
    I know their new and all but their not going to get much custom if they keep up like this, why couldn't they just tell me the truth and say (we don't know when its coming and not " if we ain't got it by Friday ill sort something out with you" and just leave it at that its not on)

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

Just got my Classic Army G36C delivered from Airsoftwarehouse.co.uk.
    Excellent service and only £16 to ship an AEG and a large box of accessories to Ireland. Everything was packaged really well too.
    Much safer option than Hong Kong I think - fast delivery and a warrenty (and no need for a gun licence - apparently it's ok to import 'firearms' from the UK).

Much safer option than Hong Kong I think - fast delivery and a warrenty

Hong kong delivery is generally just as quick, if not faster, than from the uk, i've an aeg which left hk on friday and is out for delivery today, arrived in ireland yesterday.
    (and no need for a gun licence - apparently it's ok to import 'firearms' from the UK).

no, its not ok to import firearms from anywhere without a licence, but these are not firearms, not 'firearms' either, it's not a grey area, the law outlines anything below 1 joule is not a firearm, end of story

Edit: nothing personal, but after that thread on here last week trying to claim they were not infact legal, this kind of thing is just misinformation, none of us would be playing airsoft if it was illegal

Right....Just got a phone call from She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed...

I ordered an MP5, Sig 226 and a bunch of accessories from eHobby last week, the day before Liamo posted about receiving the certificate request from the lads in PortLaoise.

Long story short, I screwed up my order and had to place two separate orders, with the MP5 and a few bits in one package, and the Sig and some other bits in a second package. The An Post tracking site shows that the package containing the Sig is with customs since yesterday, but the MP5 arrived today with no hassles. Dropped off in Port Laoise yesterday, and then dropped to my door today, with no delays.

Coupled with Spastafarian receiving his G36C without issue, it would appear that Liamo and Wossack were just unlucky, and there isn't any kind of crackdown on importing this equipment.

I'll let you know what happens to my Sig...

• Advertisement

same with my order yesterday, arrived in portlaoise, went into customs and back out the same day and is currently listed as out for delivery....

kdouglas wrote:
    no, its not ok to import firearms from anywhere without a licence, but these are not firearms, not 'firearms' either, it's not a grey area, the law outlines anything below 1 joule is not a firearm, end of story

Edit: nothing personal, but after that thread on here last week trying to claim they were not infact legal, this kind of thing is just misinformation, none of us would be playing airsoft if it was illegal
    I know they're legal. I was referring to the previous posts about customs looking for firearms licences.

kdouglas wrote:
    same with my order yesterday, arrived in portlaoise, went into customs and back out the same day and is currently listed as out for delivery....

dunno if its too clear from my earlier post (the anpost.ie tracking output, stuck it in a code box in an earlier post), but mine was cleared customs, then 2 days later, a new entry showed up saying HELD BY CUSTOMS. Not to scare you or anything, but until you hear the postie ringin the doorbell, you're not out of the woods :D

send my letter off yesterday (prolly picked up this mornin 11am) - fingers crossed! :(

yea, kinda wondering why it hasnt arrived yet tbh, normally i get packages by about 10/11am, so it should have been here by now... ah well, time will tell

kdouglas wrote:
    yea, kinda wondering why it hasnt arrived yet tbh, normally i get packages by about 10/11am, so it should have been here by now... ah well, time will tell
    Told ya. Airsoftwarehouse.co.uk all the way!
    Have fun with your no gun. I could cock this cocking lever all day.
    Kachunk Kachunk! :D

/slides open gun drawers

oh look, there's several of them :D

no point in sitting there cocking the lever all day, go fire the bloody thing!

I've to charge the battery first. But this is enough to keep me amused for now...

Kachunk...

Woooooo! The status of my gun has just changed to 'from customs'

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭EyesOnly

your sorted then, my m14 said the same last week then i got it the next day or so. i had to pay the postman for duty. Make sure you got money ready to pay the man/woman :p

• Advertisement

EyesOnly wrote:
    your sorted then, my m14 said the same last week then i got it the next day or so. i had to pay the postman for duty. Make sure you got money ready to pay the man/woman :p

OMG I want a gun that talks!!!! :D

Advertisement