Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭EarWig

Where is the 19k premises available to order coming from if they've confirmed to the SBP only a week and a half ago that ~4000 homes were passed?
    Because it's pre-order, not actually passed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

There was some NBI guy around my place yesterday, he just painted a red arrow on the road pointing at a pole, presumably to be replaced. It's strange because they already did a round of pole replacements about 2 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The 'available for order' meaning they haven't connected them yet but they can pre-order makes it look way better than it is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Got word from NBI that my date for installation in Galway is now mid-July rather than October as shortcomings have been fixed. Really messy way of communicating but I am not going to complain! It took a while to get the information out of them but with the massive amount of work i'm seeing around Galway I knew there had to be some change to the October date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

TheSegal wrote: »
    Got word from NBI that my date for installation in Galway is now mid-July rather than October as shortcomings have been fixed. Really messy way of communicating but I am not going to complain! It took a while to get the information out of them but with the massive amount of work i'm seeing around Galway I knew there had to be some change to the October date.

When did you pre-order?

• Advertisement

When did you pre-order?

Never mind, see it was Apr 29th from your earlier posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Are enet working on behalf in nbi? Seen them in east cork digging every 50 meters or so with white cable ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Friend got told a set install date from digiweb, despite it still being at pre-order.. rather laughable when there is no way any provider can know that information at the moment (when at pre-order)

Friend got told a set install date from digiweb, despite it still being at pre-order.. rather laughable when there is no way any provider can know that information at the moment (when at pre-order)

Where are they based? To be fair to the ISPs I'd _hope_ they know more about the dates than we do (or NBI make public)

I wasn't given an exact date for my house in Galway but I reached out to Digiweb after getting contact from NBI and Digiweb said they received a lot of new information today. I was not given an exact date myself but wouldn't be surprised if some areas that the network is finished being built in would have an install date lined up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭trant

Our area was August-September 2021, then October-December 2021 and now January-April 2022. My property is still not included in the IA despite ongoing communications with DCCAE, our council broadband officer and local TD since January. Altogether a very frustrating process.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

The ISPs have a lot more detailed information available to them than what's in the public domain so not as laughable as you think. Do you think they just keep hitting refresh on the NBI website to get their info?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dceng2

Based on what I just read here, I looked at the Eircode checker again on the NBI website. Finally we've been moved from survey underway January - March 2023 to Network Build in Progress August - October 2021 (Killarney DA). Expected it to change with trees trimmed and ducting layed. Now just to wait for the Fibre line to be placed and go live, but I'll get prepping anyway.

Edit: Just noticed it when looking further that the Banard townland has been divided between the Killarney DA (15/56 in IA, Western side with Meentoges to the West and Stagmount to the South) and Rathmore DA (41/56 in IA, Eastern Side with Freemount to the south and Gullaun West to the North ), but it would help explain why the Freemount townland (4 houses in IA with Banard bordering it to the North ) was never included as part of the Killarney Townland list.

2nd Edit: the Knockreagh (Ed Carker) townland, bordering Rathmore DA, Killarney DA and Castleisland DA (Survey Pending). Initially down as Survey underway January - March 2023 (Rathmore) now split between Premises Pending Survey (Castleisland - Beyond 2023 at the earliest) and Network Build in Progress August 2021 - October 2021 (Killarney DA). You win some and you lose some I suppose.

3rd Edit: Well it appears NBI have been doing their updates late. Must be working overtime to catch up (insert laughing emoji here). Checked at 9pm Killarney DA August - October 2021, now updated (11:00pm) to November 2021 - January 2022. I mentioned in a previous post that when talking to groundworkers doing the ductworks, they mentioned the actual fibre rollout in Killarney wasn't going to begin until September so this new schedule makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Dceng2 wrote: »
    Based on what I just read here, I looked at the Eircode checker again on the NBI website. Finally we've been moved from survey underway January - March 2023 to Network Build in Progress August - October 2021 (Killarney DA). Expected it to change with trees trimmed and ducting layed. Now just to wait for the Fibre line to be placed and go live, but I'll get prepping anyway.

Edit: Just noticed it when looking further that the Banard townland has been divided between the Killarney DA (15/56 in IA, Western side with Meentoges to the West and Stagmount to the South) and Rathmore DA (41/56 in IA, Eastern Side with Freemount to the south and Gullaun West to the North ), but it would help explain why the Freemount townland (4 houses in IA with Banard bordering it to the North ) was never included as part of the Killarney Townland list.

2nd Edit: the Knockreagh (Ed Carker) townland, bordering Rathmore DA, Killarney DA and Castleisland DA (Survey Pending). Initially down as Survey underway January - March 2023 (Rathmore) now split between Premises Pending Survey (Castleisland - Beyond 2023 at the earliest) and Network Build in Progress August 2021 - October 2021 (Killarney DA). You win some and you lose some I suppose.

Just checked mine, now pushed out to November december 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

trant wrote: »
    Our area was August-September 2021, then October-December 2021 and now January-April 2022.

Exactly my dates and also moved to January-April 2022. What area are you?

My area: West Wicklow

Redriddick wrote: »
    Just checked mine, now pushed out to November december 2021

Yup same here, just outside Tipp Town. Was previously August-Oct, but prior to that was Sept->November,

3rd Edit: Well it appears NBI have been doing their updates late. Must be working overtime to catch up (insert laughing emoji here). Checked at 9pm Killarney DA August - October 2021, now updated (11:00pm) to November 2021 - January 2022. I mentioned in a previous post that when talking to groundworkers doing the ductworks, they mentioned the actual fibre rollout in Killarney wasn't going to begin until September so this new schedule makes sense.

Where are you getting that level of DA information from?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dceng2

Where are you getting that level of DA information from?
    Its mostly based on my knowledge of the local townlands in East Kerry, comparing the named townlands mentioned in the Rollout pages for Killarney and Rathmore and spotting the overlaps (my own townland being one of those, we were surveyed for both aswell, Killarney - July 2020, Rathmore - December 2020, try getting NBI to explain that).

Checking tonights updated eircode checker in other overlapping townlands and finding some premises with new dates for connection while other parts of the same townland remained the same or completely lost an estimated connection date. I used the Broadband.gov.ie website to understand how many premises were in the intervention area in each of these overlapping townlands.

Chatting to the ground crews when they started doing prep work on our area (especially when our supposed connection date originally was 2 years out from now), and typical to rural Ireland, chatting to lads (farmers, old folks, relations) who saw the crews either surveying or beginning the build out works in recent months.

I suppose knowing where Current Open Eir infrastructure is located as well helps as I knew that the Knockreagh townland is split between two exchanges; Scartaglin being one, Anablaha being the other. Banard is also split between the Headford and Rathmore Exchanges.

Even the documents from NBI that were uploaded on this forum showing rollout areas allowed me to get a rough idea where one DA ends and the other begins. It could be all speculative at the end of the day so don't take me as the gospel. It just gives an idea of what we're seeing happening out here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

A little birdie told me one of the reasons why they have been slower to roll out was the problem of crossing ESBN power lines and how to do this safely and I suppose agreement with ESBN.

I do think there is a learning process here with construction as I am sure all these NBI crews are new to this, but once they iron out all the issues things should accelerate. This will be a repetitive job and efficiencies in deployment will start coming through as they learn quickly.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Waterford - Was Nov 21 - Jan 22 now Jan 22 - Apr 22.

• Advertisement

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    A little birdie told me one of the reasons why they have been slower to roll out was the problem of crossing ESBN power lines and how to do this safely and I suppose agreement with ESBN.

I do think there is a learning process here with construction as I am sure all these NBI crews are new to this, but once they iron out all the issues things should accelerate. This will be a repetitive job and efficiencies in deployment will start coming through as they learn quickly.

I find the ESBN excuse hard to believe. Their lines were already crossed (for decades!) with pre-existing ducting for the old copper lines which are being re-used.

Agree with you on the learning process. I expect every subsequent year to speed things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

I find the ESBN excuse hard to believe. Their lines were already crossed (for decades!) with pre-existing ducting for the old copper lines which are being re-used.

Agree with you on the learning process. I expect every subsequent year to speed things up.

Yes but they are stringing new fiber lines along these existing copper lines so they still have to cross them. Eir have procedures and policies in place and have been doing it for decades but NBI have to get up to speed and they have been slow up until now.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Speak Now wrote:
    Waterford - Was Nov 21 - Jan 22 now Jan 22 - Apr 22.

Midleton has changed too - hopefully it's an error like last time. On the rollout page it still says Nov 21 - Jan 22

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Donutz

At the end of March my eircode was showing as network build in progress with an estimated connection date between July 21 to August 21

In April it changed to surveying underway with an estimated connection date between June 22 and December 22

Now it's showing as survey planned and has no expected connection date.

Don't see the point of having the website if the information it gives is totally unreliable. They bang on about making progress and connecting premises but for some of us, we are moving backwards through the phases.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭trant

Exactly my dates and also moved to January-April 2022. What area are you?

My area: West Wicklow

South County Dublin, Blessington DA (if they ever include me in the IA).

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mor-Riomhaire

Nolars wrote: »
    Midleton has changed too - hopefully it's an error like last time. On the rollout page it still says Nov 21 - Jan 22

I pinged NBI via twitter and asked them about the new updates to the timelines.

Received this standard response "Given ongoing challenges relating to Covid, NBI now expects to pass between 50,000 and 60,000 premises by the end of 2021, with construction in a number of other deployment areas well developed at that stage. NBI has committed to a seven year timeline for the deployment of the infrastructure that will underpin the National Broadband Plan; and we are committed to deploying the infrastructure within the planned timeframe."

I pinged NBI via twitter and asked them about the new updates to the timelines.

Received this standard response "Given ongoing challenges relating to Covid, NBI now expects to pass between 50,000 and 60,000 premises by the end of 2021, with construction in a number of other deployment areas well developed at that stage. NBI has committed to a seven year timeline for the deployment of the infrastructure that will underpin the National Broadband Plan; and we are committed to deploying the infrastructure within the planned timeframe."

I message them around 3-4 times with the same direct question until I get a non-generic response. It can be extremely painful at times but they will gradually listen to you and respond accordingly

Its mostly based on my knowledge of the local townlands in East Kerry, comparing the named townlands mentioned in the Rollout pages for Killarney and Rathmore and spotting the overlaps (my own townland being one of those, we were surveyed for both aswell, Killarney - July 2020, Rathmore - December 2020, try getting NBI to explain that).

Checking tonights updated eircode checker in other overlapping townlands and finding some premises with new dates for connection while other parts of the same townland remained the same or completely lost an estimated connection date. I used the Broadband.gov.ie website to understand how many premises were in the intervention area in each of these overlapping townlands.

Chatting to the ground crews when they started doing prep work on our area (especially when our supposed connection date originally was 2 years out from now), and typical to rural Ireland, chatting to lads (farmers, old folks, relations) who saw the crews either surveying or beginning the build out works in recent months.

I suppose knowing where Current Open Eir infrastructure is located as well helps as I knew that the Knockreagh townland is split between two exchanges; Scartaglin being one, Anablaha being the other. Banard is also split between the Headford and Rathmore Exchanges.

Even the documents from NBI that were uploaded on this forum showing rollout areas allowed me to get a rough idea where one DA ends and the other begins. It could be all speculative at the end of the day so don't take me as the gospel. It just gives an idea of what we're seeing happening out here.

There is definitely progress in Kerry, I came home to this. They were bringing fibre to the chamber outside my house
    7alk55C.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

xxyyzz wrote: »
    There is definitely progress in Kerry, I came home to this. They were bringing fibre to the chamber outside my house

What does the NBI checker say about your eircode?

• Advertisement

July to September 21

Advertisement