Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

NBI crew working in Oola in Limerick today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭clohamon

Excited to see Eir vans out running cable today, from the current endpoint of their fibre on our road.
    Thought at last they are extending into the intervention area to get ahead of NBI...

Nope - renewing 1km of dilapidated COPPER cable on to the newly replaced poles.
    (still running it through ivy covered tree limbs)

FFS!

ComReg have just extended the existing USO for a further two years.
    https://www.comreg.ie/publication/universal-service-requirements-provision-of-access-at-a-fixed-location-afl-uso
    it is ComReg’s preliminary view to continue eir’s current designation as USP for AFL for a period of 24 months, unless amended to ensure there is a USP for the provision of AFL USO during the transition period.
    The supply side focus, from an AFL perspective, is primarily to ensure:
    • the continued availability and continuity of service for the current installed base of standalone fixed voice service end-users(should they continue to choose it) while ensuring the capability is in place to enable end-users who are seeking a new connection and a standalone fixed voice service to obtain it; and
    • a minimum data rate of 28.8kbit/s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

This is a few weeks old so basically they are 50% behind everywhere. Add another year to those dates.

The rollout of high-speed broadband in Co Laois is between 25 per cent and 50 per cent behind schedule.

The Laois Nationalist reports that local councillors were recently briefed by NBI deployment director Pat O'Toole, who said that the rollout of the fibre optic connection in Laois was between 25 per cent to 50 per cent behind the planned rollout programme.

He said that there are 12,510 premises in Laois without access to high-speed broadband, a total of 31 per cent of premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

NBI vans working on side roads off the main monivea road in Carnmore, Galway now. Fiber coils hanging from poles are finally being sorted. Although it doesn't fill me with hope when I see them digging up the new piping they put down just last Christmas in two locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭BobMc

Our area, Ardnacrusha, just outisde Limerick City, sporadic activity, but steady progress, did my Pre-Order with digiweb last week, on a walk on Tuesday we did spot a tech splicing fibre in the back of a Van so I'm guessing thats a good sign

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

TheSegal wrote: »
    NBI vans working on side roads off the main monivea road in Carnmore, Galway now. Fiber coils hanging from poles are finally being sorted. Although it doesn't fill me with hope when I see them digging up the new piping they put down just last Christmas in two locations.

They were down beside me on the main Rd also in oranmore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

So as a preemptive attack I am looking to see what provisions I will need to make to allow the fibre cable to come into the house.
    I have a 2 inch duct from the manhole to one of them small white boxes on my gable.
    From there I am think if putting in a duct yo to the attic. Does the cable need to be in a duct to the termination point or can it run along in the attic?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

As of the 1st June there were "almost" 4000 premises passed and avaialable for connection nationwide according to Ossian Smyth. Less than 1700 extra premises in the past five weeks
    The first fibre to the home connections are successfully connected in Carrigaline, Co Cork and Cavan with almost 4,000 premises passed and available for connection to date. Premises in Galway and Limerick are expected to be available for connection in the coming months. I am advised that build works are continuing across the country in 12 deployment areas covering townlands in Carrigaline, Ballinasloe, Cavan, Clare, Dundalk, Galway, Limerick Monaghan, Roscommon, Tipperary, Tralee, Wexford and Carlow. In addition, "make ready" work is underway in a further 15 Deployment Areas.

The updated survey information is:

COUNTY number of premises in the IA surveys completed % surveys completed
    Carlow 8,190 7,772 94.62%
    Cavan 16,274 3,817 23.45%
    Clare 22,719 3,567 15.70%
    Cork 79,663 22,765 28.57%
    Donegal 32,483 6,389 19.67%
    Dublin 13,677 2,437 17.79%
    Galway 38,887 14,914 38.34%
    Kerry 26,988 16,382 60.69%
    Kildare 14,085 7,598 53.94%
    Kilkenny 18,416 5,951 32.31%
    Laois 12,562 9,695 77.18%
    Leitrim 11,614 3,576 30.79%
    Limerick 21,293 8,583 40.31%
    Longford 8,712 3,294 37.81%
    Louth 8,423 7,850 93.18%
    Mayo 36,614 8,281 22.62%
    Meath 19,824 7,742 39.05%
    Monaghan 15,332 10,644 69.42%
    Offaly 12,216 1,275 10.44%
    Roscommon 19,185 8,268 43.10%
    Sligo 14,875 3,959 26.62%
    Tipperary 29,810 14,001 46.97%
    Waterford 15,048 11,277 74.94%
    Westmeath 11,761 8,656 73.60%
    Wexford 22,552 11,231 49.80%
    Wicklow 15,464 10,547 68.09%
    TOTAL 546,762 220,471  40%

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Is 1700 in the last 5 weeks below expectations? Seems quite slow

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭EarWig

Is 1700 in the last 5 weeks below expectations? Seems quite slow
    By the end of 2021.....

By the end of next year, NBI plans to pass in the region of 115,000 premises, with 70,000 - 100,000 passed each year thereafter until rollout is completed.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/c1b0c9-national-broadband-plan/

By the end of 2020.....

Under the terms of the NBP agreement, 7,900 rural premises are to be 'passed' by the fibre broadband network by the end of this year.

https://nbi.ie/news/latest/2020/10/12/7900-rural-homes-will-get-broadband-access-this-year/

• Advertisement

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Looks like they are a full year behind at this stage.

No wonder there is little to no info available. Anyone know what happens with those targets not met?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I actually don't know what anyone really expected with an entire year of covid. Restrictions all over the shop and travel from the UK impacted for contractors.

The year we've had there has had to be some major impact. This couldn't have gone any other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

listermint wrote: »
    I actually don't know what anyone really expected with an entire year of covid. Restrictions all over the shop and travel from the UK impacted for contractors.

The year we've had there has had to be some major impact. This couldn't have gone any other way.

Well if they actually came out and said that fair enough. I think it's the lack of transparency and communication is annoying people to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well if they actually came out and said that fair enough. I think it's the lack of transparency and communication is annoying people to be honest.

I've yet to know a Comms director that was good at their job :)

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

EarWig wrote: »
    By the end of 2021.....

By the end of next year, NBI plans to pass in the region of 115,000 premises, with 70,000 - 100,000 passed each year thereafter until rollout is completed.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/c1b0c9-national-broadband-plan/

By the end of 2020.....

Under the terms of the NBP agreement, 7,900 rural premises are to be 'passed' by the fibre broadband network by the end of this year.

https://nbi.ie/news/latest/2020/10/12/7900-rural-homes-will-get-broadband-access-this-year/

The 115000 target for this year had already been revised down to 70000 which, at their current pace, is looking decidedly unlikely to be met.
    joe123 wrote: »
    Looks like they are a full year behind at this stage.

No wonder there is little to no info available. Anyone know what happens with those targets not met?

Nothing, apparently.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2021-06-01/71/speech/292/
    The Deputy asked whether there were penalty clauses. As I understand it, there are none in the current contract.

NBAiii wrote: »

...but apparently they are writing a new contract
    The Deputy asked whether the pandemic had delayed the deployment. The answer is "Yes". The original deployment plans for the first year will not be met. However, the deployment plans for later years will be greater. The new contract will define that acceleration.

clohamon wrote: »
    ...but apparently they are writing a new contract
    That is what we need otherwise we've really lost track.

Presumably that new contract is trying to realise the proposed acceleration as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Spillanee

NBI vans out by renville in Galway today testing the lines, asked them if they had any idea on when we would be going live and they said that ‘everything seemed fine so shouldn’t be long’. Also said they were finished this weekend that all lines were tested and passed so hopefully it will be soon.

EarWig wrote: »
    That is what we need otherwise we've really lost track.

Presumably that new contract is trying to realise the proposed acceleration as well.

The main questions are whether the cost of roll-out (passing premises with RFO) has been underestimated, excluding the effects of the pandemic.

What relief 'force majeure' gives to GMcC.

Whether GMcC have enough cash to ride out the pandemic, assuming it's temporary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Does this have anything newsworthy?

Broadband rollout target slashed as contractor admits delays

https://www.businesspost.ie/infrastructure/broadband-rollout-target-slashed-as-contractor-admits-delays-308e56e1

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

KOR101 wrote: »
    Does this have anything newsworthy?

Broadband rollout target slashed as contractor admits delays

https://www.businesspost.ie/infrastructure/broadband-rollout-target-slashed-as-contractor-admits-delays-308e56e1

Not really, no.

4000 reached in first half of year out of 115000 target for the full year.

NBI cut its target for this year in half to pass 50,000 to 60,000 premises.

Department of Communications said the pandemic has caused a delay in recruiting and training workers.

NBI will not face any financial penalties for the delays in the rollout, other than having to wait for payments based on the completion of connections.

Brian Stanley, the Sinn Féin Laois-Offaly TD said this was in “direct conflict” with assurances offered by the government prior to the contract being signed two years ago.

Just before the final contract with NBI was signed in late 2019, Richard Bruton, the then Minister for Communications, told the Dáil that it would have very strong governance arrangements in place, with “key performance indicators, stringent penalties and a clawback of 40 per cent of the value of the asset if it has value at the end of the process”.

The Department of Communications website also states that quality checks, including “significant penalties to address underperformance”, are included in the contract to “protect the state investment and ensure that the NBP milestones and deliverables are met”.

The Department of Communications said there were challenges in mobilising key contractors due to restrictions on operations as well as national and international delays in supply chains and logistics. It also said that there were delays in the recruitment of key personnel.

There were delays in NBI getting permits from some councils to erect new poles to carry the overhead fibre optic cables. This had the potential to cause more delays because NBI needs to put up an estimated 1.5 million new poles.

Last month, the Local Government Management Agency issued new guidance to all councils to speed up the permits for poles for NBI. Councils are allowed to take up to four months to process the pole permit applications, but the guidance document predicts that the new processes will deliver “significantly shorter licence turnaround times”.

Ryan previously said he was hoping to negotiate a new contract with NBI to speed up the current rollout timeframe from seven years to five.

He recently wrote to businessman David McCourt, the chair of the NBI board, to say that he would invoke the change control procedure in the broadband contract. The Department of Communications spokesman said the purpose of this change would be to accelerate the current seven-year contractual rollout “to a shorter period”.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

daraghwal wrote: »
    Not really, no.

4000 out of 115000 is ridiculous. Cant all be attributed to covid. Wasted a year with the bcps also

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

4 months to process a pole permit.:pac::pac:

That sort of thing should have been locked down from day 1. We even heard tds last year saying any delays let us know so we can help.

No idea why NBI remained so bullish on covid impact. Seems the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing.

Turning into a bit of a shambles. More contract faffing now too. Why do I see things like Imagine being brought on board down the line. I think those that get connected in the next couple of years or so could be very lucky, others getting lumped with Wisp type scenarios the longer this messing goes on.

Seems like the planning is all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

That clown Eamon Ryan is probably getting lobbied by Three Ireland and Imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Gav_96

That clown Eamon Ryan is probably getting lobbied by Three Ireland and Imagine.

Imagines stance on NBI isn't great, I talked to one of their contractors going from house to house with leaflets. He tried to tell me NBI was only gonna deliver 30mb and they were getting 150 down with 1 ms ping :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Gav_96 wrote: »
    Imagines stance on NBI isn't great, I talked to one of their contractors going from house to house with leaflets. He tried to tell me NBI was only gonna deliver 30mb and they were getting 150 down with 1 ms ping :pac:

I got the same bull**** by a cocky salesman. Said that wireless is faster as it's not constrained by a wire, fine smirk on his face when I questioned it and he responded to me like I was a 5 year old. It's those dirty tactics that have made me tell any neighbours, friends, and family to stay away from Imagine if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

Are the time lines still do able I wounder iam down for Sept to nov for install

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

naughto wrote: »
    Are the time lines still do able I wounder iam down for Sept to nov for install

We're down for August->October, and TBH I'm not holding my breath based on what I saw in the SBP this weekend. I'll continue to punch my eircode into nbi.ie once a day, but now I'm waiting for the date range to slip rather than seeing a pre-order message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭scunermac

NBI vans spotted in the Portlaoise surrounding areas today. I found it a bit strange considering they were also here about 6 months ago. I thought that was when they started the surveying in this area, but maybe that was them only getting the lay of the land, and now they’re back doing the actual surveying now.
    According to the NBI site we’re in the ‘Survey Underway’ stage for the last 3 months now with a target date of Feb-Apr 2022. Although given the delays reported lately, coupled with today’s sighting, I’d say that’s very optimistic.

Advertisement